This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top05-20-2014 06:32:03 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Re: What's for dinner?

Ever wrap corn on the cob in foil and roast it over hot coals? Tasty.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#27 | Back to Top05-21-2014 01:37:27 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

Stir fry vegetables with soba noodles. A couple tablespoons of General Tsao's sausce and red pepper flakes. It was a six hundred calorie meal that fueled me through my work day! I will do it again tomorrow!

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#28 | Back to Top05-21-2014 05:17:58 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Giovanna wrote:

I'm stoked, I just saw corn for sale. I love corn. There's a particular kind, taber corn, that's big here, but winter has lingered so long I dunno what kind of crop we're going to get this year.

I always want to get so ambitious with corn, but nine times out of ten, I end up with corn on the cob, or corn soup of some kind. Hah. I used to boil the corn to eat it on the cob, but man the oven is way better.

(What is this cyser? A kind of mead what what?)

It's like if a mead and a cider had a baby. It's not as sweet as I find most meads to be, but it's lighter than some of my favorite ciders. We're particularly fond of Zombie Killer, which also has some cherry flavors. Also among the other victims of the night were McKenzie's Original and Black Cherry Ciders, both of which I enjoyed immensely.

As for corn, my dad will sometimes make a sort of relish with it, usually consisting of roasted corn, red peppers, sweet onions, garlic...and probably a couple other things. It's pretty delicious.

Edit: Oh, and I'm making fish tacos tonight! So we'll see how that goes. Could be tasty. Could be a culinary abortion. We'll see! school-chef

Last edited by MissMocha (05-21-2014 05:19:25 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#29 | Back to Top05-21-2014 01:00:30 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

MissMocha wrote:

fish tacos

MissMocha wrote:

abortion

Well now that was just in poor taste. emot-biggrin

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#30 | Back to Top05-21-2014 08:59:35 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Giovanna wrote:

MissMocha wrote:

fish tacos

MissMocha wrote:

abortion

Well now that was just in poor taste. emot-biggrin

Your face is in poor taste. emot-tongue

Joking aside, they weren't bad, although I do think the marinade/sauce was definitely lacking since I didn't have tequila on hand. Oh well.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#31 | Back to Top05-30-2014 03:12:24 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Nova wrote:

Man, what Southerner worth his salt hasn't?  I love it.

Tonight we're having spaghetti with homemade sauce and garlic bread.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#32 | Back to Top07-03-2014 01:28:41 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

I finally finished the positively GIGANTIC zucchini that my grandmother graciously supplied from her vegetable garden. It was the best gift ever, that thing could feed 8 people.
I grated the final quarter into strips, fried a chopped onion on olive oil, added the zucchini, salt, peper and some dried parsley, simmered that for 10 minutes, chopped a clove of garlic into it, and then added a touch of cooking cream when it was all done. The mix went on top of al dente cooked pennette rigate. Divine.
I probably shouldn't be this excited, but as I was completely and utterly useless in the kitchen mere months ago, I revel in every little achievement.

#33 | Back to Top07-03-2014 02:09:51 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Riri-kins wrote:

Nova wrote:

Man, what Southerner worth his salt hasn't?  I love it.

Up here we get (for about ten minutes a year, anyway) Taber corn. Which is like the local Vidalia onion. Albertans look horrified when I tell them that grilling corn isn't actually a thing outside of the south and here. But then, there's a gigantic grilling culture up here, they're god damn insane. (-20C? I WANT STEAKS)

Not exactly dinner, but for two season a year our fridge has a gigantic jar full of fruit (citrus one part of the year, stone fruits the other) that's our sangria stash. For the citrus we use red, and in the summer for peaches and such, white. It's startlingly delicious, keeps a long time, is refreshing, and you get bonus boozy fruit after. Highly recommended. emot-biggrin

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#34 | Back to Top07-03-2014 05:05:53 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

We grill our corn in the husk because it's the cheapest and easiest way to do it!

The only problem with grilling corn is that you will NEVER be satisfied by any other kind of corn on the cob. It ruins you.

#35 | Back to Top07-04-2014 11:37:26 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

what time is supposed to be dinner time?
here dinner time is like 9~10pm so at that time normally I do not eat (I used to but now I don't)
if by dinner time you mean something between 5~7pm then I just had melon, peach and 2 almond biscuits emot-tongue

まずここでこのオスカル・フランソワの命をたってからにされるがよい!

#36 | Back to Top09-17-2014 09:09:30 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

I had a good time cooking for the first time in about an age this week, so I feel like bragging about it.

Monday I made pumpkin soup.  I didn't do it strictly from a recipe- I like more spice than most people, so it wouldn't even be terribly helpful, though I did look up procedure and found that most versions have a common base of "sauté onions and garlic, add pumpkin, spices, and broth, puree, continue to heat, add cream".  As far as seasoning, I could've stuck turmeric or something in it and just called it curry, but it could've used a little more of everything plus some extra cinnamon and ginger.  Also, the tanginess from the dollop of greek yogurt I added along with the cream wasn't a great addition.

Tuesday I was going to do fish, but we'd had it around too long.  I did pasta instead, and if you've got the stuff lying around, I would actually recommend trying this:

- rotini, maybe like a cup?  I dunno, pasta amounts are a lottery
- kale, about 6-7 leaves
- turkey Italian sausage, 2 sausages (I used cheap Costco sausage, it's flavorful but a bit dry, this was a good dish for it)
- canned sun-dried tomatoes, a scoop
- garlic, one clump (I'll probably have to turn in my foodie card, I use canned rather than fresh)
- onion, about a half
- chicken broth, 1/3 can
- white wine, a splash
- olive oil, a couple of dashes
- parmesan cheese, a couple fingerfulls

1. Start the water for the pasta.
2. Brown sausage
3. Chop onion, fairly fine but not quite minced, and sauté in a large pan with olive oil (I did it in the same one with the sausages, I dumped it early to cool the pan down).  When it's about half done, add the garlic.  This is essential for canned garlic, sautéing it with the onion takes the bitterness off.
4. Wash and chop kale.  I pretty much shredded it, but it might clump less if it's coarser.  I don't know.
5. Stick the pasta in.  Maybe earlier.  Whenever you notice the water boiling, really.
6. Add kale to the pan, and pour wine and chicken broth over it.  Cook until it's cooked, pretty much.  Add sausage and tomatoes.
7. Sprinkle some cheese on top, and stir the pan.  The cheese thickens the braising liquid to make it more of a proper light sauce.  Reduce heat on the pan.
8. The pasta should be about done.  When it is, drain it and add it to the pan.  Toss.  Serve with more cheese.  Enjoy.

It's kind of loosely based off a dish with chicken and spaghetti, with which it shares maybe one or two ingredients.  It was pretty much just off the cuff- I'd been planning earlier, since the fish thing wasn't exactly a shock, otherwise I would've found out after having served it already- and it was a matter of "okay, what do we have, what can I stick with that, what's a good preparation for that and how can I work it into an actual meal?"  Can't say I've ever thickened a sauce with parmesan cheese before, but it worked.

One thing I've got to say, I remember when I used to have a hell of a time doing basic stuff with cooking.  Like, I think it took me about an hour to sauté onions one time.  And now I can stick different techniques together and, for one, know that I'm actually using that technique, not just throwing something in a pan and sticking a fancy label on the process, and, for two, come up with something that tastes good, and isn't just technically edible.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#37 | Back to Top10-07-2014 05:38:07 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Tonight it's chicken and dumplings from Victor's Deli. It's second only to my grandma's recipe.

#38 | Back to Top02-22-2015 07:56:25 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

BUMP

This is currently in my oven. https://lentzedlife.wordpress.com/2013/ … asta-bake/

There is also half a bottle of Gewurtztraminer in my fridge.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#39 | Back to Top02-22-2015 09:01:03 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I had a delicious Korean feast at my Korean language teacher's house, it was absolutely delicious. But I ate so much that I can't sleep now...oh well, it was well worth it.emot-dance

#40 | Back to Top03-13-2015 02:56:28 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I don't know what I'm doing tonight, but last week I did boneless leg of lamb, roast asparagus and acorn squash with brown butter.

I should've bought an Argentine malbec for the wine pairing. That would've gone really well.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#41 | Back to Top03-13-2015 03:21:28 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Gluten Free Mac n' Cheese with broccoli and lactaid.  emot-rolleyes

#42 | Back to Top04-14-2015 11:45:41 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Cubed pork, thick-sliced carrots, corn, honey, little chopped onion, sage, black pepper, chives, dried red chili, slice of dried lemon, bring to boil, simmer low for ages. Two sprinkles of salt as necessary. Crack an egg over it and stir. Thick noodles at the end, so they soak it up but don't go mushy.

I little bit overkill, but two bowls and you feel like you've been some place.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#43 | Back to Top04-18-2015 08:59:12 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Gio made dinner last night! I didn't have to cook!

It was grilled scallops on the half shell with a sweet wine sauce and 7(?) grain rice with lightly sautéed kale and peppers. It was delicious.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#44 | Back to Top04-18-2015 10:38:30 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

This thread makes me hungry.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#45 | Back to Top04-22-2015 12:04:42 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Salad with crispy chicken on top, lots of dressing. emot-biggrin

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#46 | Back to Top04-25-2015 04:20:20 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Trying to clear out my pantry for a good old fashioned restocking, so tonight's dinner issssssssssssssss:  Some beans I cooked two weeks ago that turned out to be way too many beans and holy hell so many, many beans, spiced up with cayenne and chili powder and served with scrambled eggs, fat free cheese and sauteed onions on some (truly awful) gluten free tortillas. 

I am running out of ways to bean.

#47 | Back to Top04-30-2015 03:14:54 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Tonight I'm making fajitas with rice and peppers. Mmm.

#48 | Back to Top05-01-2015 05:04:14 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Made some cashew butter to smother my apples with etc-love

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#49 | Back to Top05-01-2015 09:42:00 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

I managed to like, make and eat actual food while still in someone else's house.  This is very much an accomplishment, I think I ate like four corn pancakes and a peanut-butter jelly sandwich last weekend, and that was it.

Tonight I made like Thai-style peanut sauce with veggies over noodles.  Probably not the most authentic in the world, but surprisingly good given the limitations I was making it under.

Last edited by Kita-Ysabell (05-01-2015 09:42:50 PM)

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#50 | Back to Top05-26-2015 01:26:26 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

http://s13.postimg.org/3n3abtrrn/image.jpg

http://s13.postimg.org/s2bicvqoj/image.jpg

Potatoes, carrots, wood ear mushrooms, bell peppers, seaweed, celery, gently heated in salt, cumin, and ginger. Added some frozen lamb and corn dumplings, some black pepper, and turned up the heat.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Board footer