This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-13-2016 11:13:19 AM

Sweetgm2
Juri Jeerer

Suggest movie recommendations for movies that make you think

What are some movies you like that have a lot of symbolism and mind screw like aspects.

One's I've seen of this nature are "Pie" (about the math expert who goes crazy), Inception, Fight Club, Donnie Darko

#2 | Back to Top02-13-2016 12:56:30 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Re: Suggest movie recommendations for movies that make you think

Pan's Labyrinth, off the top of my head...

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#3 | Back to Top02-13-2016 05:38:19 PM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

(( The Number 23, The Machinist, and The Shining are three movies off the top of my head that are heavy into symbolism and mind warping. ))

#4 | Back to Top02-14-2016 02:17:00 AM

PerennialCurbstomp
New Student

Primer and Upstream Color - Two brilliant movies by Shane Carruth. Both usually require multiple viewings to get an idea of what happens.
Angel's Egg - A 1985 anime. It's a visual feast of heavy biblical symbolism and haunting beauty. A must see for anyone who claims to love animation.
Eraserhead - David Lynch's first and arguably strangest film to date.
Barton Fink - An often overlooked film by the Coen Brothers.
Rubber - A metaphysical horror-comedy about a sentient tire that develops psychic powers.
Suspria - Dario Argento's magnum opus.
Holy Motors - Brilliant commentary on the changing film industry and the uncertainty of artistic integrity.
Horsehead - Highly stylistic horror film. Something along the lines of A Nightmare on Elm Street done if done by David Lynch.

I can probably think of more, but these are the first ones that came to mind.

Between fossil colored lipgloss...

#5 | Back to Top02-15-2016 02:20:23 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Let's see, in the vein of SKU and mentioned here, Innocence. Coffins. Schools. You know how it goes.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top02-15-2016 11:12:09 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Blancanieves (2012), modern black and white silent movie that retells the fairytale of Snow White in the 20's in Spain. The SKU vibes go beyond the motif of a twisted update of fairytale themes as it also includes a heroine who takes on a traditionally very masculine role, in this case that of a bullfighter.

Paprika weird and amazing mind screw anime.
Perfect Blue also from Kon Satoshi and equally bizarre and thought provoking.
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence GitS is known for being a very deep sci-fi anime that is more in vein with some of more serious developments in the genre than what you usually get from sci-fi anime but Innocence takes a franchise to a whole new level. It is truly surreal and so charged with symbology that it gives one pause.

A Tale of Two Sisters beautiful Korean horror that requires a second viewing, at the very least.
Kokuhaku a very unique take on the revenge movie theme.
Big Bang Love, Juvenile A Miike at his most poetic, it is a prison movie like no other.
The Wall Passer very underrated low key sci-fi movie that manages to be intriguing and occasionally brilliant.
Gemini is a Japanese horror of the highly off beat kind, does a stunning job in invoking traditional theatre techniques.
Perfect Number plays with the maths genius idea but takes it in an unexpected drectipn that I greatly appreciated.
Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter...and Spring perhaps my favorite Kim Ki-duk movie, it has almost no dialogue but is full of charged imagery instead.
Goth Japanese movie about two high school students and their obsession with death.
Strange Circus very true to the title, this Sono Shion movie is exceedingly strange indeed and not for the faint of heart. Approach only if you can handle gore.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (02-16-2016 12:00:05 PM)

#7 | Back to Top02-22-2016 02:17:42 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

After rewatching Repo Man with my mom the other night, I reconfirmed my suspicion that there's a whole hell of a lot more going on in there than you'd think at a glance. Alex Cox has always been an artsy director, for all that, but Repo Man looks and sounds like it wouldn't be out of place in the middle of a Troma marathon on USA Up All Night, back when that was actually a thing. It's era specific. It's crass and awkward, and low budget and the word "zoinks" could describe most scenes. But, at the same time, it's everything you need to know about America in ninety minutes. It's jobs and blowjobs and bullshit, machismo, religion, bills and credit, and the ever-increasing price of gas.

Masked & Anonymous shouldn't work. It goes in all directions, the cast is all-star to highlight that it's all-star. It's indulgent. Most everything seems just thrown in to throw it in. But, something can catch you attention in the debris and stick with you, grow inside you. Maybe it's when you realize that "the future" is now, and the White House is in Los Angeles with the bus just going around the city. Maybe it's Jessica Lange saying, "We've got dead aliens, stacked up in warehouses. What more do you want?" and never addressing it again. The ghost of a blackface minstrel murdered for speaking out. Bruce Dern unchaining the Beast to devil a singer, all the while drinking like a fish and talking about Abraham Lincoln. Or, the curtain promising a Man Eating Chicken and giving it to you just beyond.

I was about to add something about Gothic or Crimes of Passion, when Whore came to mind, and The Music Lovers, so instead, I'll just say, watch all the Ken Russell you can. Aggressively subjective cinema, most often in response to other movies, to pop biographies, received wisdom, or specific people taking his interest or pissing him off. Whore is almost literally Pretty Woman being punched in the face all night while reminding us we pay. Gothic is, on the surface, a supernatural thriller about the night Frankenstein was conceived, but along the way makes a strident parody of gothic tropes, the absurdity of biopics, tears apart the myths of creativity and stories that write themselves, the masks of celebrity sells.

Same goes for Patricia Rozema, even her children's stuff, but particularly When Night is Falling and Mansfield Park. Anxieties, intimacies, and the perpetual existence of both a personal life and, well, the whole rest of the damn world.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#8 | Back to Top02-27-2016 12:02:40 PM

malna
Caretaker

Giovanna wrote:

Let's see, in the vein of SKU and mentioned here, Innocence. Coffins. Schools. You know how it goes.

Sounds promising. I checked the trailer and there's also Kelly Reilly whom I adore. I'm definitely going to watch this, thank you for this rec.

Pie came to mind first. I'd also recommend Picnic at Hanging Rock. Truly eerie. Girls. Schools. Dramatic lack of a few coffins.

a lot of hope in one man tent

#9 | Back to Top02-27-2016 02:33:37 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

I can tell I'm getting to be a film snob because more movies come to mind that are interesting from a cinematographic standpoint than a philosophical one.  Damn

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Masked & Anonymous shouldn't work. It goes in all directions, the cast is all-star to highlight that it's all-star. It's indulgent. Most everything seems just thrown in to throw it in. But, something can catch you attention in the debris and stick with you, grow inside you. Maybe it's when you realize that "the future" is now, and the White House is in Los Angeles with the bus just going around the city. Maybe it's Jessica Lange saying, "We've got dead aliens, stacked up in warehouses. What more do you want?" and never addressing it again. The ghost of a blackface minstrel murdered for speaking out. Bruce Dern unchaining the Beast to devil a singer, all the while drinking like a fish and talking about Abraham Lincoln. Or, the curtain promising a Man Eating Chicken and giving it to you just beyond.

I need to watch this again.  Not all of it stuck with me, but the atmosphere was really lovely, and I do remember the bunny scene.  Wasn't that where the title drop happened?

Right now all that comes to mind is Brazil.  It stands with Brave New World at the pinnacle of dystopian fiction for me, nothing else can touch those two.  Too often they fall into being preachy parables, (Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451, Hunger Games) but these two present a flawed future in which the flaws are so human, there is no easy fix, no easy rebuttal.  Brazil takes place in a world which, while nightmarish, when broken down, is disturbingly on-par with our own.

Wait, no, I lied.  There's also Her, which kind of… stealth changed my life?  It just… it completely changed how I thought of relationships.  All relationships.  It's sweet, it's lovely, it's honest, and it's a vision of the future that's in love with the present, and that is actually really rare.  In many ways, I think SKU is a truly vital story that illustrates a lot of the hidden pitfalls and dangers of relationships, and Her is it's converse, a story about how truly wonderful being around other people can be.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

Board footer