This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-09-2016 12:49:00 PM

zettaunmei
New Student

Utena Line Stickers

Hey guuuys!

Just got the Utena Stickers for Line from a friend (thanks rizel!) but there is one I don't understand....

It's just touga saying "イカすしじゃない” (no sushi de calamar), anyone remembers this particular line?

#2 | Back to Top07-09-2016 04:23:46 PM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

Re: Utena Line Stickers

I dun know...I googled it and came up with this. イカ寿司 sounds like 雷.

Still, I don't know the Utena connection. The Ikazuchi was a Japanese Destroyer ship...if that helps. (According to Wikipedia, they were the most powerful destroyers in the world.) Maybe it is an aposiopesis for ”イカすしじゃない。雷です。" Just a thought.

EDIT: I think you were reading the sticker wrong. I went back to look at it, it says イかすじゃない。
Which roughly translates to "Aren't I handsome?" This makes -MUCH- more sense. It's more of a "Don'tcha want me baby?" kind of thing.

Something that is イカす is attractive, charming, charismatic, magnetic, and sexy.
いかすとは、「魅力的」「かっこいい」こと。

Also, because there is no pronoun listed, you could also translate it as "Isn't it/he/she/they hot?"

Just a hunch, but this is probably where the word イケメン comes from...

CENSORED FOR VULGARITIES: [My etymological search has told me they are related. イカす is apparently slang for when a man brings a woman to orgasm. In Japanese, a woman will usually cry "行く" while having sex. "I'm going to come" is usually the expression in English. It other words, it is orgasmic. The pussy is wet. (Sorry to put it in such a vulgar way...) Another source tells me that it became popular in 1958 when the expression was used in a movie by actor Yujiro Ishihara.]

This was really fun to research because I never quite understood the etymological meaning of イケメン. It all makes sense now. I'm also laughing my ass off because that sticker makes it look like Touga is on top. emot-rofl

https://sdl-stickershop.line.naver.jp/products/0/0/1/3862/android/stickers/4019910.png

Last edited by barafubuki (07-10-2016 02:58:15 AM)

#3 | Back to Top07-10-2016 04:01:22 PM

zettaunmei
New Student

omg! thak you very much for going such distance to answer my question! you are the best!!!! it al makes sense now!!!emot-dance

#4 | Back to Top07-10-2016 05:15:29 PM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

Is it possible for me to get those LINE stickers? emot-rolleyes

#5 | Back to Top08-18-2016 07:30:36 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Realize this is a late response, and I don't know which country you're in, but the Utena LINE stickers are available for purchase in the US store: https://store.line.me/stickershop/product/3862/en

#6 | Back to Top08-18-2016 09:38:56 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Man, all of the ones in English are gold. I'm not sure if the Juri "NO" or the Akio "BYE" make me laugh more.

Board footer