This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-11-2008 12:39:36 PM

J-Syxx
Banned

The reason Saionji is a dick.

Sorry if this has been discussed before.  But am I the only one who has came to conclusion that Saionji has such a bad attitude becuase after childhood Touga went on to become a man-whore instead of shacking up with him?  This is the conclusion I've draw from the evidence.  His relationships with other characters in the show seem to be either out of ego (Anthy) or convenience (Wakaba); the only one that seems to be of any substance is with Touga which of course later degenerated into resentment. 

Also am I the only one who reads out of the ending of a Menage a Trois between Nanami/Touga/Saionji.

#2 | Back to Top11-11-2008 01:01:55 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: The reason Saionji is a dick.

There are plenty of brilliant threads filled with Saionji analysis here on IRG that discuss Saionji's motives, personality, and past.  You can find some tidbits in the later pages of Personal Canon, a good deal in Giovanna's Come with me on an Sku Body Language Tour - Meals Included! thread,  even more in Giovanna's Jeolousy and Wanting to Be Saved - Another Saionji Thread By Gio thread.  And if I'm not mistaken there is a little bit in the Symbolism in SKU thread.  All these topics can be found in either Shoujo Kakumei Utena or In Flagrante Delictoemot-wink

Really though, I do not believe that Saionji and Touga had any sort of sexual relations or tensions, even, as children.  The Saionji we see in the series is very naive and despite his manly manly temper, unaware of his own sexuality, or more likely in desperate denial of it, which causes it to fall victim to neglect and ignorance, keeping it childlike and hard to express without shame inside his older body, which leads to frustration and the mixed-up desire for affection, control, reliability, and, though it is buried deep down and he'll never admit it, sex, from Anthy.  Which of course leads only to further frustration and at it's peak, anger and violence from Saionji.

Part of what he feels for Touga, is, of course, jealousy.  He says that Touga has always appeared to be better than him, like he is on some whole different level.  This can be taken in terms of both athletic prowess and status (Kendo and the Student Council) and in terms of sexuality (Touga is sexually aware, unashamed and confident, none of which Saionji can say for himself.)  Part of Saionji wants to be like Touga in this respect, but he tends to see it, like a lot of things, in terms of extremes.  Touga is, at the end of the day, not entirely perfect in Saionji's eyes.  He's sneaky, manipulative, and a complete whore.  Saionji doesn't want to desire things that appear superficial or morally corrupt; that's dirty, shameful and selfish, so he denies his desire for Touga's sexual freedom and reinterprets it as a desire to 'beat' or 'best' Touga in the dueling game by winning Anthy and achieving eternity.  He does not realize, extremist and foolish as he is, that you can be sexually aware and self-confident without being a complete whoring ass about it.

Another part is that he desires friendship from Touga.  All that eternity business, besides a way of competing with Touga, represents this, and boils down to Saionji wanting something that makes him happy....to last.  Touga in the church opened a coffin -symbolic of death, despite Saionji's protests, and later gave  (well, claimed to have given) what Saionji desired so much -eternity- not to his best friend but some little girl who he had never met before that night, and had thusly betrayed and abandoned Saionji.  He felt both the loss of his friend and the loss of his childish dreams of forever in one night.  Over the years Touga's growing and confident sexuality and popularity further widened the rift between them.  Saionji wants both his friendship back with Touga and his assurance that good things last.  He is an extremist in this sense as well; if it can't last forever...if it's only destined to end or leave you...then what's the point of having it at all?

Why does Saionji want or need eternity even before the night in the church?  There is a lot of speculation regarding Saionji's unknown childhood and family life that may account for this.  After Saionji is expelled he leaves the school with only a single bag of items, one so small it appears to only big enough for his katana, his kendo uniform, and his student council uniform.  Instead of returning home, he stays with Wakaba, and accets handouts from her.  This not only implies a lack of money in Saionji's family, but it also points to something a bit more disturbing.  Saionji did not go home.  Why?

All these little clues --including Saionji's feelings of shame and subsequent sexual repression, and his violence and chauvinism--  could paint the picture that Saionji didn't have the most ideal upbringing.  Or least one that lacked, to some degree, affection or consistency.  Maybe his parents divorced and they fought, maybe one of his parents died or left, and he was introduced to a new, physically or verbally abusive or neglectful parent.  Maybe the lack of money implies that his guardians had a hard time making money and were constantly moving to new homes and jobs, forcing Saionji to leave behind friends and memories each time.

In the midst of all this, he meets Touga, who, despite their differences, is his friend.  He's quite possibly the silver lining in Saionji's life, and Saionji is still young enough to hope and to dream that he will remain so, unlike so many other things that he loved or that made him happy.  Touga's betrayal and the sheer trauma that was the church were the last straws.

Any love though or sexual desire for Touga? I don't really believe it to be true, but I won't definitely discount it either.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (11-11-2008 01:34:11 PM)

#3 | Back to Top11-11-2008 02:17:55 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Like usual, I pretty much agree with everything OITL said. I would add that Touga's alleged rescue of Utena from her coffin represents to Saionji an accomplishment that he is unable to overcome. Someday he may beat Touga in a kendo match, but how often do you get a chance to bring a girl back from the brink of death like that? So when he gets this extremely unlikely chance to rescue Anthy, and Utena shows him up, we see his violent reaction. And then finally, Touga shows him up AGAIN. Man does it suck to be Saionji. He's fixed his self-esteem on the unattainable.emot-frown

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#4 | Back to Top11-11-2008 03:04:20 PM

End of the Tour
Ballgoer

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

He does not realize, extremist and foolish as he is, that you can be sexually aware and self-confident without being a complete whoring ass about it.

In his defense, though, he was at Ohtori Academy.  It's not like he was surrounded by positive sexual role models.

Touga in the church opened a coffin -symbolic of death, despite Saionji's protests, and later gave  (well, claimed to have given) what Saionji desired so much -eternity- not to his best friend but some little girl who he had never met before that night, and had thusly betrayed and abandoned Saionji.

Did Touga really tell Saionji that he had shown the girl something eternal?  The way I remember it (and it has been a while), Touga first realizes that she's asking for something eternal, and that this isn't something either of them can provide, so he tells Saionji as much and convinces him that they should go.  The next morning, when they come back, they see that she's not despairing any more, and Touga concludes (and states) that she must have seen something eternal, but I don't recall him claiming responsibility for this.  (Of course, that may not matter to how Saionji interprets things.)

Why does Saionji want or need eternity even before the night in the church?

I kind of always thought that he got the idea of the importance of eternity from that night, because, unlike Touga, he doesn't immediately realize the gravity of what Utena is asking for.  But I'll admit that this is rather subjective.

Sometimes life is about making difficult sandwiches.

#5 | Back to Top11-11-2008 04:35:06 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

End of the Tour wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

He does not realize, extremist and foolish as he is, that you can be sexually aware and self-confident without being a complete whoring ass about it.

In his defense, though, he was at Ohtori Academy.  It's not like he was surrounded by positive sexual role models.

And I don't think (subjective again) that his parents were much to bring up sex in an encouraging, healthy and unbiased light.emot-frown

End of the Tour wrote:

onlyinthislight wrote:

Touga in the church opened a coffin -symbolic of death, despite Saionji's protests, and later gave  (well, claimed to have given) what Saionji desired so much -eternity- not to his best friend but some little girl who he had never met before that night, and had thusly betrayed and abandoned Saionji.

Did Touga really tell Saionji that he had shown the girl something eternal?  The way I remember it (and it has been a while), Touga first realizes that she's asking for something eternal, and that this isn't something either of them can provide, so he tells Saionji as much and convinces him that they should go.  The next morning, when they come back, they see that she's not despairing any more, and Touga concludes (and states) that she must have seen something eternal, but I don't recall him claiming responsibility for this.  (Of course, that may not matter to how Saionji interprets things.)

Well, it's more like Touga was pretty well aware that Saionji thought that he did, and did not see fit to correct him.

#6 | Back to Top11-11-2008 05:27:25 PM

J-Syxx
Banned

Really though, I do not believe that Saionji and Touga had any sort of sexual relations or tensions, even, as children.

This is kind of an odd statement to make since Saionji joined in on Touga and Akio's sexual escapades it the last arc of the show.  Of course they don't show it completely, but I'd say it's about as definite as Akio shagging Anthy although it's only (strongly) suggested.  Would the fact that you have a guy/guy threesome with someone indicate you had some kind of sexual relationship or tension?  I'd say yes.  Also there's the fact that Touga used Saionji's heart sword.  I don't really recall that happening between characters where there was no kind of romantic tension going on.  Not that I would necessarily call your interpretation wrong, but you must agree that Ikuhara purposely planted plenty of evidence to suggest other wise.

Last edited by J-Syxx (11-11-2008 05:28:38 PM)

#7 | Back to Top11-11-2008 06:01:47 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

J-Syxx wrote:

Really though, I do not believe that Saionji and Touga had any sort of sexual relations or tensions, even, as children.

This is kind of an odd statement to make since Saionji joined in on Touga and Akio's sexual escapades it the last arc of the show.  Of course they don't show it completely, but I'd say it's about as definite as Akio shagging Anthy although it's only (strongly) suggested.  Would the fact that you have a guy/guy threesome with someone indicate you had some kind of sexual relationship or tension?  I'd say yes.  Also there's the fact that Touga used Saionji's heart sword.  I don't really recall that happening between characters where there was no kind of romantic tension going on.  Not that I would necessarily call your interpretation wrong, but you must agree that Ikuhara purposely planted plenty of evidence to suggest other wise.

The sword-pulling is not about romantic tension, though; it has much more to do with love-hate relationships.  Take Miki and Kozue, for example.  We kid, but there's not much evidence of sexual tension between the Kaoru twins in the series.  There is, however, abundant evidence of a love-hate relationship.  Similarly, yes, okay, Juri probably lurves Shiori, but that's not why Shiori pulls a sword out of her; it's because there's something about Juri, her seeming perfection, that Shiori wants to own and corrupt at the very same time.  The same goes for every sword duo with the possible exception of Utena and Anthy, who are probably a special case.  The sword as a symbol of a love-hate relationship makes more sense than as a symbol of romantic tension; after all, the sword you pull may represent the other person's soul, but it is still an implement of destruction.

Saionji's relationship with Touga is marked by Saionji's idolatry and resentment -- hence the sword-pulling -- but it's not clear to me that there's much sexual about it.  What's confusing, perhaps, is that Touga manipulates Saionji approximately the same way he manipulates Utena: with a sensuality that says "I know how much you want this" so persuasively that the other person is actually convinced that they do.  But where Utena feels during the close of the first season that she wants love or romance out of her "prince," Saionji on some level simply wants to be Touga, or at least be able to ooze the same self-confidence.  That, I think, is why Saionji ends up taking sultry photos in the planetarium with Touga and Akio; it seems like something a self-confident, sexual, masculine person would do.  (Or to put it another way, turning the photo shoot down once Touga suggested it would make Saionji a pussy in his own mind.)

I don't think Saionji has ever had sex with Touga.  I think we would know if he had, because Saionji would be freaking out the next day over What It Meant and whether he wanted it to happen again.  We certainly wouldn't find him sharing a stationary bike with Touga on the Student Council balcony chatting like old times.  Their relationship, at least on camera, is much closer to the relationship between brothers than between lovers, as we would expect of childhood friends.  Any homoerotic undertones we want to read into it are purely in our own imaginations (though I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Touga, at least, is conscious of those undertones and ready to exploit them at need).

ETA: Also, OITL, fantastic post!

Last edited by satyreyes (11-11-2008 06:11:37 PM)

#8 | Back to Top11-11-2008 07:30:41 PM

J-Syxx
Banned

aake Miki and Kozue, for example.  We kid, but there's not much evidence of sexual tension between the Kaoru twins in the series.

I thought the tension was rather obvious.  Whether or not they had sex is probably very debatable (as is the case in most of the relationships in this show), but there are obvious points where Ikuhara was trying to play up the existence of some innate sexual thing going on between them.  If you deny this I would think you are only examinging Utena on a surface level, when the show was designed to be much more suggestive, subtextual, metaphorical, ambiguous, etc. than that.  I would also apply this to the scenes such as Touga and Saionji riding suggestively on a bike with each other, etc. that have caused people to ship them together.  The reason why people deabate this stuff is becuase Ikuahara put all these suggestive scenes into the show on purpose.  He left it to the audience to interpret, but I think saying there's definitively nothing sexual on any level in stuff like Nanami/Touga, Miki/Kozue, or even Touga/Saionji etc. is just taking it a bit too far.  Just my two cents.

That, I think, is why Saionji ends up taking sultry photos in the planetarium with Touga and Akio; it seems like something a self-confident, sexual, masculine person would do.  (Or to put it another way, turning the photo shoot down once Touga suggested it would make Saionji a pussy in his own mind.)

That scene was absolutely homoerotic.  And if it was obvious that it was homoerotic to the audience, it should be obvious to Saionji, as well.  I really see no evidence for your alternative explanation, no offense.  I also think Akio's nature is obviously very sexual, thus letting Touga and Saionji into his schemes would require him exerting something sexual over them.

The sword-pulling is not about romantic tension, though; it has much more to do with love-hate relationships.  Take Miki and Kozue, for example.  We kid, but there's not much evidence of sexual tension between the Kaoru twins in the series.  There is, however, abundant evidence of a love-hate relationship.  Similarly, yes, okay, Juri probably lurves Shiori, but that's not why Shiori pulls a sword out of her; it's because there's something about Juri, her seeming perfection, that Shiori wants to own and corrupt at the very same time.  The same goes for every sword duo with the possible exception of Utena and Anthy, who are probably a special case.  The sword as a symbol of a love-hate relationship makes more sense than as a symbol of romantic tension; after all, the sword you pull may represent the other person's soul, but it is still an implement of destruction.

I would agree with you reading the love-hate relationships into that, but I would note most of those in this show have some kind of suggestive romantic/sexual edge to them.  And just look at how sexually provocative the imagery is animated.  Or the fact that in the Black Rose saga a lot of the characters were gossiping about their swords being pulled like it was sex and acted like they were climaxing when it occurred.  There is definitely more to this than you suggest, I would assume.

Last edited by J-Syxx (11-11-2008 07:32:45 PM)

#9 | Back to Top11-11-2008 07:35:45 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

The whole situation of him joining Akio and Touga in the planetarium is still one I haven't made up my mind on. I don't think Saionji truly is sexually attracted to Touga, not in the series anyway, and yet I do think he wants to fuck him. That, I suspect, is why he ends up in the planetarium--Akio has the relationship with Touga that Saionji wants, deep down. Namely, he wants to fuck him. Not because he sexually desires him, but because in Saionji's mind, that's the only language Touga understands, the only arena they could battle in where he could, literally, come out on top. And have it mean something.

But then...how wrong is he? Is that not a language Touga understands perfectly well? Saionji's wrong in thinking that's the bottom line and not the symbol. Akio doesn't control Touga because he fucks him, he fucks Touga because he controls him. Saionji has it backwards, but he obviously sees the connection, and envies it. I've always assumed whether he sleeps with Akio and Touga or not, somewhere in his presence in that situation is, on someone's part, a reason for Saionji to see that sort of sexual interaction, that he would identify as what he wants.

It's a somewhat similar case to Nanami, with an opposite reaction. Nanami sees Akio and Anthy together and recognizes it. Did she really want that? Maybe yes, maybe no, but becoming aware of it made her have to deal with it somehow. She dealt by freaking the fuck out. Saionji sees in Akio and Touga a situation he wishes he were in. A power over Touga, who has always had the upper hand. How does Saionji deal with it? Hard to say. That he seems closer, happier with Touga afterward suggests a few possibilities, one of the easier being that yes, he fucks him that night. Another is that simply seeing the situation, even if it's not him in control, shows him Touga's not always in control either, and maybe that's enough to satisfy him. I almost want to say it is, because in so many other situation Saionji seems to want to let go of his own behaviors more than he lets on. Maybe he really wanted an excuse, any excuse, to forgive Touga, even if it's not going to have the graphic satisfaction of getting to top him, sexually or otherwise. Maybe it's enough to know Touga doesn't always win.

In summary, I think Saionji does want to have sex with Touga, but at the same time, you can't say it's a sexual attraction. Weird, I know. emot-kekeemot-keke

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you h