This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-12-2007 10:44:26 AM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Favorite Music You Never Mention to Anyone Else...

Tamago wrote:

Guilty - Barbra Streisand

I wonder how many STRAIGHT GUYS secretly like her music but don't admit to it as it has that 'If you like this then you are either a woman or a queer' label to her music?  I would be cool to find out from people here who else enjoys certain musical groups or singers that would not be approved off by their peers.

Go forth and converse!

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#2 | Back to Top03-12-2007 12:54:22 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Re: Favorite Music You Never Mention to Anyone Else...

My type of music consists of lots of underground music, techno, and industrial. The kind of shit you hear at shady nightclubs. We welcome Skela Faeries, Juggalos, anyone who enjoys the freaky lives they lead. One thing most of us hate is scene kids...

....which is why I hate to say that I really like a fair bit of HxC music emot-gonk I'll rock out to From First To Last, Fear Before The March Of Flames, Death Stars, Horse The Band... emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk

If most of the people I knew heard this, they'd disown me.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#3 | Back to Top03-12-2007 01:32:58 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Too many to name. XD

1. T.at.T.u. Self-explanatory.
2. Gunther Just....damn cheesy songs but he has the sexiest voice ever known to man. etc-wankgirletc-wankgirl
3. Rhapsody Cheesy symphonic rock stuffs...I have a weakness for it
4. You're flying without wings sung by some boy band *shame*
5. I'm too Sexy ...

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#4 | Back to Top03-12-2007 01:36:21 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Guilty pleasure music?

Hmm, I'm sure I have a lot, but I don't remember much right now. Oh, like Yampuff said, Tatu. I love their music, but the fact that they were lesbians just for attention makes me mad. Oh well, as long as I don't buy their CDs.. \:

#5 | Back to Top03-12-2007 03:24:32 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I have five Gorillaz mp3s on my computer. emot-gonk

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top03-12-2007 03:43:40 PM

Syuria
Touga Topper
Website

YamPuff wrote:

4. You're flying without wings sung by some boy band *shame*

That would be Westlife, I think. (It's even more shameful that I know that emot-wink)

I have a love of incredibly cheesy music, like Steps, S Club 7, Kylie Minogue (especially her "Your Disco Needs You" song, which next to Utena could be the biggest pile of gay ever created emot-dance) amongst many, many others.

I also listen to way too much cheesy j-pop and k-pop for my own good, such as Kotani Kinya, NewS, Super Junior and DBSK... emot-redface

I try to justify this by liking more "respectable" bands like Queen, Hell is for Heroes, Arctic Monkeys and other random music like that, hehe.

#7 | Back to Top03-12-2007 04:07:55 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Guilty pleasures, you say?

I've listened to the occasional country song and liked it. I considered Reba McEntire a country demigoddess until I got out of high school, and I still think "Fancy", "Take it Back", and "Why Haven't I Heard From You" are kick-ass songs. And I also love Deana Carter's "Did I Shave My Legs for This". It's one of those, "You promised me all this stuff and I didn't get it" songs.

That's probably the worst of it, but there's more.

I love techno, but I don't mean rave techno. I mean the type of techno you normally hear at gay bars. Songs like "I Will Love Again" by Lara Fabian, "Unspeakable Joy" by Kim English which is roughly 8 minutes long, and Alice Deejay's "Better Off Alone".  Oh, yeah, and I lip-sync. emot-dance

Then there's the fact that I actually like Jewel, at least her first album. "Daddy" is the best I-hate-my-father song ever, and if I had the skill I would do an Utena AMV of "Little Sister." Then there's also my love of Lisa Loeb, her first two albums anyway.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#8 | Back to Top03-12-2007 04:14:28 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

...why I bought those two Aqua songs on iTunes the other day we may never know.

...or at least in my case, I don't WANT to know.

...oh god, how long has this Ace of Base been here? And this Spice Girls? And this John Farnham?!

I refuse to be ashamed of this Glenn Miller, though. My nana liked it. And I liked my nana. Nyah! emot-tongue

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#9 | Back to Top03-12-2007 04:22:32 PM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Giovanna wrote:

I have five Gorillaz mp3s on my computer. emot-gonk

Hey, they're good! Damon Albarn FTW.

#10 | Back to Top03-12-2007 04:24:23 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I am absolutely in love with Ani Difranco. I'm not ashamed, but I suppose it's somewhat guilty.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#11 | Back to Top03-12-2007 04:27:33 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Um... Madonna, Ace of Base, Gunther, a few songs by Aqua and Maroon 5, Goo Goo Dolls and probably a few more that I'm not thinking of right now.

Oh, and say what you will about the cheesecake factor of T.a.T.u. (along with their exploitation by their manager, grr), the video for "All the Things She Said" was very sweet and the end was actually kind of moving.

And don't ever be ashamed of Glenn Miller. He's not my favorite, (I'm more of a Kai Winding guy myself) but he's still pretty awesome.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#12 | Back to Top03-12-2007 04:59:46 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

I, um...

I like some of Micheal Jackson's older stuff.

*flee!*

#13 | Back to Top03-12-2007 05:37:39 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Michael Jackson's older stuff is the stuff that's actually good. It would be a guilty pleasure to admit to liking his later stuff. emot-tongue

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#14 | Back to Top03-12-2007 05:56:50 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I actually like some of MJ's older stuff, too. Well, I haven't actually gotten the opportunity to listen to his older songs completely - just clips, like in the Utena fan dub. But every time I hear them I think they sound very cool. That reminds me, some guy from an art camp I used to go to kept singing that "Billy Jean" (?) MJ song, except using my name, since it was kindasorta of similar. (Bonnie May) It took me years to figure out that it was a MJ song. I've been very deprived.

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (03-12-2007 06:03:37 PM)

#15 | Back to Top03-12-2007 08:32:40 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I like country music, but most of it is 20+ years old and for some reason that seems to be more socially acceptable than Achey Breaky Heart.

I like a LOT of Marilyn Manson's music, and I never mention that to anyone because most people wouldn't pin me as a fan of theirs and since I don't know people like that I don't have anyone to talk about it with. I'm so into jazz and blues and folk that I'm pretty sure most of the people I know in real life think I take an, "O yew kids and yer rawk musics" opinion to modern things, and I've always tried to listen to a lot of things and I love really obnoxious MTV rap.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#16 | Back to Top03-12-2007 09:03:58 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

I adore ABBA - even if it is extremely commercialized and processed.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#17 | Back to Top03-12-2007 09:19:01 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I'm not ashamed of most of my music (even though it's spectacularly mainstream), but I hate admitting that I own Loretta Lynn's latest albulm -and like it. emot-redface

It's not popular to like them, but I really enjoy Fall Out Boy. Oh! I thought of what I am ashamed of liking -Ashlee Simpson, Britney Spears (mostly the remixes, my one saving grace) and ::shudder:: I have a burning desire to check out Paris Hilton's cd, but I don't know anybody that has it, nor am I willing to pay for it. emot-gonk

I feel strangely purified for having admitted that, and yet deeply, deeply shamed.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#18 | Back to Top03-12-2007 09:19:29 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

--Anything Daniel Johns is involved in (Silverchair, The Dissociatives, I Can't Believe It's Not Rock).  I'm usually pretty up front about this, actually, but people give me looks like, "You listen to them?" whenever I tell them.
--A few Maroon 5 songs.
--Eiffel 65's first (only?) CD, though I can't stand that "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" song.  "P-L-A-Y-S-TAT-ION!"  emot-dance
--Bemani music (DDR, Para Para, Guitar Freaks, Drummania, etc.).  Also upfront about this, but only with certain people.
--Some songs/bands that are huge on the radio, which I can't stand and avoid at all costs:
Blue October's "Into the Ocean" (didn't like the preceding single, though);
The Fray's "Over My Head (Cable Car)" (can't stand "How to Save a Life");
The All-American Rejects' "Move Along";
the last couple Justin Timberlake songs (but NOT "What Goes Around..."--I take issue with the phrase "ready to give you my name" used as a synonym for "ready to ask you to marry me");
Fall Out Boy's "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race" (the song is catchy, but I still want to kill Pete Wentz);
and My Chemical Romance, AFI, etc. (OMG EMO we totally need a wrist-slitting, crying black mascara tears emoticon).
--Saul Williams, if only because people go "HUH??" when they hear me play his stuff in my car.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#19 | Back to Top03-12-2007 09:20:41 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

well..i have a soft spot for some Eric Clapton and Fleetwood Mac....
early MJ is always good...

i have a thing for strange random songs too... like Zappa's "Why does it hurt when i pee?" GUNTHER as he was mentioned earlier....the ding dong song was playing when i beat Devil May Cry 1 emot-gonk and lets not forget the Homosexdiscoteque.... XD

i also have a HUGE monty python CD on my Ipod.....

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#20 | Back to Top03-12-2007 09:36:51 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Hinotori wrote:

I like country music, but most of it is 20+ years old and for some reason that seems to be more socially acceptable than Achey Breaky Heart.

I like a LOT of Marilyn Manson's music, and I never mention that to anyone because most people wouldn't pin me as a fan of theirs and since I don't know people like that I don't have anyone to talk about it with. I'm so into jazz and blues and folk that I'm pretty sure most of the people I know in real life think I take an, "O yew kids and yer rawk musics" opinion to modern things, and I've always tried to listen to a lot of things and I love really obnoxious MTV rap.

Haha, I like some Mariyln Manson too. emot-keke I don't normally bring it up to people either, not because I'm ashamed of his music, but because most people would be shocked. I'm a very peaceful person, that a lot of people would consider "hippeish", so they'd give me weird looks.

Although, I like one of Marilyn Manson's song lyrics when it comes to discrimination. "No time to discriminate, hate every mother fucker that gets in your way" etc-love

(Except.. well.. I don't hate people that easily. But I find the idea better than automatically discriminating someone because of a specific trait/color/etc. they have.)

#21 | Back to Top03-12-2007 09:43:54 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Hinotori wrote:

Haha, I like some Mariyln Manson too. emot-keke I don't normally bring it up to people either, not because I'm ashamed of his music, but because most people would be shocked. I'm a very peaceful person, that a lot of people would consider "hippeish", so they'd give me weird looks.

I admit, Antichrist Superstar was a damn decent record, probably because Reznor's stamp is aaaalllll over it.  Manson's newer stuff is more like "I'm Marilyn Manson, BOOGEDY BOOGEDY!"  emot-rolleyes

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#22 | Back to Top03-12-2007 10:13:44 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Besides Barbra Streisand, my other uber guilty secret I like to listen to is... Crooners, Crooners like Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Fred Astaire and a smattering of other crooners from the 30s to the 50s.

Believe you me, with the sort of people I usually deal with, being a fan of Golden Era Crooner music would be as odd to the kind of person I appear to be as a Techno Punk would be if tthey secretly loved to listen to Disney Tunes.

#23 | Back to Top03-12-2007 10:21:36 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

"I Will Love Again" by Lara Fabian

My grrl can sing that song and leave you speechless.  emot-dance

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#24 | Back to Top03-12-2007 11:30:07 PM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

mercurynin wrote:

Manson's newer stuff is more like "I'm Marilyn Manson, BOOGEDY BOOGEDY!"

I have the most amusing image of Manson in wearing a bedsheet over his head swishing around saying that. Good times.

I like the "Theme from Ice Castles". I've never watched the movie, but I like the song as long as it doesn't have the lyrics. It's really quite pretty.

Last edited by alexielnet (03-12-2007 11:31:11 PM)

#25 | Back to Top03-12-2007 11:31:55 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I just had the most amusing mental image of alexialnet's amusing mental image.

Only now I'm doing it again, and it's a Charlie Brown type sheet. emot-keke Good times, good times.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

Board footer