This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-09-2016 09:27:04 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Perfect Single Episodes

I'm thinking anime, but let's open this up to all serial tv.

What are, for you some perfect single episodes? Can be a show you love, one you don't much care about. The episode has to have everything in place and working perfectly for you, though.

Because I'm watching Macross 7: Dynamite again and the first episode is just beautiful tv. The pacing, the acting, the sound, the balance between must-watch and ok-in-background are all in sync, driving to something superior than the sum of its individual elements. It doesn't even need a second episode, but it makes you want one. Simple. Resonant. Impassioned.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#2 | Back to Top11-11-2016 07:49:04 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Re: Perfect Single Episodes

The first episode of Elfen Lied.

I find the rest of the series completely mediocre but the first episode is unbelievable.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#3 | Back to Top11-11-2016 12:10:48 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Episode 12 season 2 of Free! I don't really care much for the rest of season 2, but that episode was perfect and I watch it a lot. etc-love  It's so inspirational, it featured my OTP, it had a great ending, and it made me feel like I had really taken a trip to Australia (they were visiting for that episode.) It's probably my favorite episode of any anime.

Episode 37 of Hunter x Hunter 2011 is also an episode I watch alone a lot.  It's basically just Killua and Gon being cute together on Gon's home island. It's such a pure and happy episode. There are parts I skim over but other than that I could watch it any time.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (11-11-2016 12:11:20 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#4 | Back to Top11-11-2016 03:09:26 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Its not anime but MLP fim s3 e13 magical mystery cure is baiscelly everything good in MLP fim cramed in to one episode. Also it has killer music and if you dont like the show at least give the songs a try since there absoulltly great.

Heartcatch precure ep 41 is sweet and takes a unique concept for a kids show but really any episode is good(except 28).

The first episode of Ouran high school host club is the absoult best thing that i have seen in terms of metaforical comedy so give that a try.

PASWG ep 4 is also funny and I live how stocking is portryed its so relatble...

If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

#5 | Back to Top11-17-2016 10:46:25 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

That one episode in Ergo Proxy where their ship breaks down and they do nothing the whole episode?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#6 | Back to Top11-17-2016 11:28:51 AM

malna
Caretaker

YamPuff wrote:

That one episode in Ergo Proxy where their ship breaks down and they do nothing the whole episode?

I was going to write this! Dead Calm
Yes, this must be one of my favorite episodes of anything ever.

Yurikuma Arashi ep 4, I can't get a kiss (the one with Lulu's little brother) is SKU-level-good, in my opinion.

a lot of hope in one man tent

#7 | Back to Top11-17-2016 12:18:52 PM

malna
Caretaker

YamPuff wrote:

The first episode of Elfen Lied.

I find the rest of the series completely mediocre but the first episode is unbelievable.

I've just watched it and it was great. Normally I would dive right into the further episodes but if you say they're not that good... pity, the beginning looks really promising.

Last edited by malna (11-17-2016 12:19:47 PM)

a lot of hope in one man tent

#8 | Back to Top11-18-2016 11:07:57 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I agree about that YKA episode! It's awesome and perfect as a standalone.

A lot of people love Elfen Lied, so give it a try if you're interested. It just wasn't for me.

#9 | Back to Top01-24-2017 01:50:22 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

I know first episodes have been mentioned a lot already but goshdarn it, the first ep of FLCL is fantastic. When I first watched FLCL, ep 1 seemed like a giant incoherent, spastic blob. But now, as someone who rewatches FLCL whenever I'm feeling down and nobody else is using the TV (I would do that for Utena but FLCL's only 6 eps long), it feels like a fantastic introduction to every insane clip of sakuga or catchy song by the pillows or metaphor for coming of age the show offers. Episode one is almost like an overture to the series. It's crazy, but it's perfect.

This binch be postin' once every century

#10 | Back to Top08-04-2017 01:46:08 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Mini-necro!

I was discussing favorite Adventure Time episodes recently and found that there were really quite a lot of examples of this-- for a show with a decent amount of lore it also requires you to know little to nothing about the world for most episodes. While you may benefit from some character knowledge, the bulk are fairly self-contained stories. This may not be the best example there is but a personal stand-out to me as a great episode and an intriguing stand-alone would be Hall of Egress. (I described this episode in such detail to a friend the night it aired that she did end up watching it, so I count that as a win.)

Anime-wise, one that jumps to mind for me is the Paranoia Agent episode Mellow Maromi. With some minimal knowledge of what Shounen Bat represents/why he appears, I don't think one would need to know anything about the Maromi character or the creator to appreciate the atmosphere and escalation of events in this episode.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

Board footer