This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#576 | Back to Top02-15-2017 08:08:14 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Fans of Le Television

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Is anybody watching The Young Pope on HBO? It's a limited-run series starring Jude Law.

I watched the first couple episodes and so far love it to death. It's very 'House of Cards in the Vatican' but only because the main character is such an odd, somewhat unsympathetic figure.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#577 | Back to Top02-18-2017 07:53:26 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Giovanna wrote:

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Is anybody watching The Young Pope on HBO? It's a limited-run series starring Jude Law.

I watched the first couple episodes and so far love it to death. It's very 'House of Cards in the Vatican' but only because the main character is such an odd, somewhat unsympathetic figure.

I figured that if anyone in the forum watched at least one episode, it would be you. It became Appointment TV as soon as I finished the first two episodes, then I got behind, and I wound up binge-watching the last four episodes Monday night.

Now that I'm done with it, I'm hoping to start Emerald City, Westworld, and/or Riverdale. Those should keep me occupied until Game of Thrones comes back this summer.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#578 | Back to Top02-19-2017 11:56:19 AM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

has anyone seen The good place? It is really funny and is kind of philosophical and thought provoking at times with simple yet deep characters. Also, the final episode is just WTF (if you've seen the series, you know what I mean)

If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

#579 | Back to Top04-21-2017 02:05:44 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Wow I had time to watch tv in Passover. So what did I watch?

Crazy Ex girlfriend: Underrated gem about Misato Katsuragi being a lawyer in america and meeting kagi, her old crush and moving too West covina to maybe have him fall in love with her, While she sings in songs that subvert there genre of music. Basically Evangellion The comedy musical but s2>eva>s1. So go and watch it.

Stranger Things: Its basically 80's, the tv series. Very interesting concepts and characters that lead to a rather satisfying conclusion. Very fun to watch, but thematically non egesistent. Also #DontForgetBarb

A series of unfortunate events: A Gothic like series about the struggle to survive the cruel world around you while hoping to have a guide for the world. Beautiful aesthetics but... Actually nothing, it amazing.

13 Reasons why: Hated it, it was shit! A wet dream for suicidal teens, that people are praising it because it talks about suicide. Ill admit that some great concepts and ideas are present, and Justin is a very interesting character, along with Jessica and Hana, and the directing was above average, but the script, the awful concept, and terrible rest of the side kick characters (F**K COURTNEY) and clay being so boring that he could be literally anyone, makes this series fail.

If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

#580 | Back to Top04-24-2017 09:56:05 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

itavin wrote:

has anyone seen The good place? It is really funny and is kind of philosophical and thought provoking at times with simple yet deep characters. Also, the final episode is just WTF (if you've seen the series, you know what I mean)

I binged the entire thing in two days, and I completely agree with you. I watched the season finale before I went to work, and it just fucked up my entire existence.

Once I recovered, I started watching Emerald City that night. I think it's intended as the spiritual successor to Grimm. It's a very interesting retelling of the Oz books, not the movie we all know. For starters, Dorothy is a Latina woman in her late 20s or early 30s instead of a kid.

#581 | Back to Top04-26-2017 12:35:14 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Raven Nightshade wrote:

itavin wrote:

I binged the entire thing in two days, and I completely agree with you. I watched the season finale before I went to work, and it just fucked up my entire existence.

Once I recovered, I started watching Emerald City that night. I think it's intended as the spiritual successor to Grimm. It's a very interesting retelling of the Oz books, not the movie we all know. For starters, Dorothy is a Latina woman in her late 20s or early 30s instead of a kid.

Took your advise to heart and watched Emerald city and... Its good. Surprising really since I do like the first book of Baum's masterpiece series, and I had low expectations for this. But surprised me with gorgeous backgrounds and intense plot, which I enjoyed watching. But two things I dont like are:

1. The thing that is so revolutionary and great about the original is that women were the biggest powerplayers in oz, and in here it feels more like they wanted to achieve that goal rather then have it set in stone. Hurt the world of oz for me, but may not be a problem to all.

2- so I hoped the beast for ever would [ actually be a symbol for fear and manipulation and the unsurety that it brings, with everyone fearing it and misinterpreting it. But no, they had to make him be a demon spawn that serves no purpose and was only there to make an annoying cliffhanger, god do I hate that cliche, especially in american tv] In short, that was dumb

Last edited by itavin (04-26-2017 12:35:59 PM)

#582 | Back to Top04-26-2017 09:49:05 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

itavin wrote:

Took your advise to heart and watched Emerald city and... Its good. Surprising really since I do like the first book of Baum's masterpiece series, and I had low expectations for this. But surprised me with gorgeous backgrounds and intense plot, which I enjoyed watching. But two things I dont like are:

1. The thing that is so revolutionary and great about the original is that women were the biggest powerplayers in oz, and in here it feels more like they wanted to achieve that goal rather then have it set in stone. Hurt the world of oz for me, but may not be a problem to all.

2- so I hoped the beast for ever would [ actually be a symbol for fear and manipulation and the unsurety that it brings, with everyone fearing it and misinterpreting it. But no, they had to make him be a demon spawn that serves no purpose and was only there to make an annoying cliffhanger, god do I hate that cliche, especially in american tv] In short, that was dumb

1. Well, the thing is that's kind of what's happening. The witches [fighting off the Wizard are like the Native Americans trying to fight off European colonialism/imperialism.]

2. Up until the very end I was secretly hoping that [The Beast Forever would turn out to be Dorothy, ]because the show was 100% trying to force that conclusion.  Besides, Dorothy was [a walking disaster who ruined everything she touched. You knew something wasn't right within the first 15 minutes when she stole that patient's meds for her Auntie Em. Then she gets East to shoot herself. She tries to go home only to destroy East's palace/temple. Then she frees Tip, who hates her now. And of course, the grand finale, falling in love with a married man who has amnesia yet still pursuing him after he's gotten his memory back and reunited with his wife.]

#583 | Back to Top04-27-2017 05:34:11 AM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Raven Nightshade wrote:

itavin wrote:

1. Well, the thing is that's kind of what's happening. The witches [fighting off the Wizard are like the Native Americans trying to fight off European colonialism/imperialism.]

2. Up until the very end I was secretly hoping that [The Beast Forever would turn out to be Dorothy, ]because the show was 100% trying to force that conclusion.  Besides, Dorothy was [a walking disaster who ruined everything she touched. You knew something wasn't right within the first 15 minutes when she stole that patient's meds for her Auntie Em. Then she gets East to shoot herself. She tries to go home only to destroy East's palace/temple. Then she frees Tip, who hates her now. And of course, the grand finale, falling in love with a married man who has amnesia yet still pursuing him after he's gotten his memory back and reunited with his wife.]

Well when you put it like that, Dorthy is kind of a bitch. Didnt rly think about it like that

Also I like your witch analogy. Actually it remindes me a lot of princess mononoke in your idea. They also both have [ the gun motif representing westernaiziton and how it destroyed japan/oz and I like it like that. They also have the whole magic is dead because gun and elctercity. Wouldnt be surprised if the series was inspired by it. ]

#584 | Back to Top04-27-2017 02:01:17 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

So I know this is kinda old now...  But I'm still in love with Hannibal the TV series.

I think alot of people that love Utena will love Hannibal because of its wonderfully gay (not so) subtext, dreamy imagery, and symbolism.  ALL THE SYMBOLISM.  Plus who doesn't love a crazy man trying to twist the spirit of a good person to fit his needs *cough* Akio *couch*

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

#585 | Back to Top05-09-2017 03:01:34 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Has anyone seen Freaks and Geeks? I really like the show and so annoyed that it was cancelled for god knows why . Episode 17, 1 and 4 are literally perfect. Also the characters have the depth and interest of real high school kids (in the  80's) and if you liked to analyze the characters in utena, you'll love this show. Is it a show of easily impressionable teens? Yes, but I still think there is some meat in the show even if it is easily impressionable. The ending sucks tho and wish it had more episode to get a proper conclusion.

#586 | Back to Top05-11-2017 12:20:01 PM

vandownbyriver
Wakaba Wrangler

Freaks and Geeks is a stone cold classic.  It's a bummer there's only one season, but that season is so good.

It got mentioned a bit earlier, but I really loved Westworld.  If you don't mind a series not showing all its cards right at the outset, definitely give it a try.  But this is an Utena board so I can't imagine any of us liking a show like that.  emot-tongue

I've also enjoyed what I've seen of Black Mirror.  The first episode of Legion was also really good; has anyone watched it further?

#587 | Back to Top05-18-2017 11:01:02 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

vandownbyriver wrote:

Freaks and Geeks is a stone cold classic.  It's a bummer there's only one season, but that season is so good.

It got mentioned a bit earlier, but I really loved Westworld.  If you don't mind a series not showing all its cards right at the outset, definitely give it a try.  But this is an Utena board so I can't imagine any of us liking a show like that.  emot-tongue

I've also enjoyed what I've seen of Black Mirror.  The first episode of Legion was also really good; has anyone watched it further?

I remember seeing promos for Freaks and Geeks but I never knew when it was on.  I gotta check it out.

AND YES WESTWORLD. 

Omg.. I could talk about Westworld for days! (but then again I am working on a graphic novel about androids so it's my jam ya know?)

Westworld was perfect! I'm usually really good at spotting twists coming and etc but even I was shocked when [William turned out to be The Man in Black]  It broke my heart!  I also wonder [if Ford printed a copy of himself.  If they can print people there's gotta be a way for him to move his consciousness to a Host.  When we found out Bernard was a Host you can see the machine printing someone but it's not revealed who.]  And now we have to wait like two years. ;_;

#588 | Back to Top05-18-2017 06:31:38 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

vandownbyriver wrote:

I'm only two episodes in, and I'm loving it. I especially enjoy the extremely recognizable music from the player piano.

#589 | Back to Top05-19-2017 01:44:25 AM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

8 episodes in to West world and I like it for the most part. Very thought provoking and very well directed.  But I cant believe [Bernard is a fucking robot like what? I was in shock for hours afterward. ]

Edit: finished westworld and man do I want season 2. While I still dont like the music, I think the show was a great experience throughout.

Last edited by itavin (05-27-2017 08:55:45 AM)

#590 | Back to Top05-19-2017 05:15:52 AM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

This has been going around tumblr/twitter for a while, but Villainous is a pretty neat little bunch of shorts! Watching it gives me nostalgia for 2000's era Deviantart, but in the best way.

(And here if the embement doesn't work.)
This clip is in Spanish, but apparently the original dub is in English, so that's something to look forward to.

Last edited by zeedikay (05-19-2017 05:17:08 AM)

#591 | Back to Top05-22-2017 09:32:17 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Anybody else diving into the new season of Twin Peaks?

Because we should talk. Oh, my dear, lovely Utena heads, we should all talk.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#592 | Back to Top05-22-2017 02:56:20 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

vandownbyriver wrote:

I'm only two episodes in, and I'm loving it. I especially enjoy the extremely recognizable music from the player piano.

Raven Nightshade if you love the music you will really like this video that goes in-depth on the songs they choose and how they impact the story telling in Westworld.  Just make sure you watch it after you finish the series because it does go into spoilers.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/MkDXcP7JNOw[/youtube]

As for Twin Peaks, I now must officially watch it because everyone is talking about it and it has me curious.

Thanks for the Emerald City stuff.  I want to check that out now too. Hurrah weekend binge watching!

#593 | Back to Top05-23-2017 06:11:14 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

LadyButterflyNebula wrote:

As for Twin Peaks, I now must officially watch it because everyone is talking about it and it has me curious.

I'm surprised how much better the new TP is about David Duchovny's trans character than the X-Files revival as about trans stuff. I forget that, while X-Files could seem slick, it was always pretty clumsy, while Twin Peaks often affected a clumsiness to mask how damn slick it was. A tradition it seems, both series want to carry on. cool

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#594 | Back to Top05-23-2017 01:58:17 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I'm surprised how much better the new TP is about David Duchovny's trans character than the X-Files revival as about trans stuff. I forget that, while X-Files could seem slick, it was always pretty clumsy, while Twin Peaks often affected a clumsiness to mask how damn slick it was. A tradition it seems, both series want to carry on. cool

I just started the old TP yesterday, but that means in binge-watching time I'll be onto the new series this weekend. 

I binged The X-files up to somewhere in S6 or S8 and I was just burned out.  I'll go back and troop through it before seeing the new series.  What I can talk about the new series is that Gillian Anderson is my personal hero http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 … -equal-pay b/c she's fighting that wage gap HARD.

Also this:https://33.media.tumblr.com/ad9a2b7a06248dbd03b2fa95096df08f/tumblr_nts05c8pEv1r6tq2so1_500.gif

She was amazing in Hannibal (which ended far too soon).

#595 | Back to Top05-27-2017 07:32:23 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

So I'll never regret that Samurai Jack season 5 was made because it was episode after episodes of beautiful perfection....until Jack's beard was shaved and it all went to shit. Not sure why they went in the direction they did and ended it that way, not to mention wasting a couple episodes of weird stuff only to end with a rushed final episode, rather than a two part finale but, I'll take what I can get.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#596 | Back to Top05-28-2017 12:04:08 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

My friend tried to get me on Hannibal and Bates Motel, but the first just kind of played too slick for me and I couldn't get a hold on anything, and the other... wasn't manic or funny enough. I love all four Psycho movies. But, they're funny, and sexy, and skittish and weird, and that tv show was just bog standard tv melodrama. Le sigh, le sigh.

I should try Hannibal sometime with people who love it in the room.

I just started the old TP yesterday, but that means in binge-watching time I'll be onto the new series this weekend. 

I binged The X-files up to somewhere in S6 or S8 and I was just burned out.  I'll go back and troop through it before seeing the new series.  What I can talk about the new series is that Gillian Anderson is my personal hero http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 … -equal-pay b/c she's fighting that wage gap HARD.

Also this:https://33.media.tumblr.com/ad9a2b7a062 … o1_500.gif

I love both X-Files leads so much, and the show is a favorite, really, though, yeah, I don't know that I've actually seen much of the last couple seasons, or if so, more than once. The actors seem like solid people, on several fronts.

Some of the early X-Files writers have said that Duchovny's turn as a trans FBI agent in TP influenced them writing Anderson the "male" role and him the more TV-traditionally emotionally-wounded and intuitive "female" role. (Which, I guess, shows how concretized these formats were even in the brains of tv writers, at that point. X-Files gets no credit... but it did and has accomplished a lot, itself. I love that Anderson took on the wage gap, that Duchovny backed her up, and that it set good precedent, even if it took then ten seasons and twenty years (Jesus!).)

Something I don't think TP gets enough credit for is how much it integrated its tie-ins, releasing novels between seasons that would just blow things open in different ways, the theatrical movie, the call-in 1-900 number. Viral marketing and essential tie-ins have become much more a thing since, but prior to TP all I can think of are essentially more-of-same or canonicity-hazy material. The latest novel, The Secret History of Twin Peaks blew my mind twice; first read, because it was so so so X-Files in tone, and then, when I finished, a friend of mine mentioned I had read it to the author/co-creator and he told him to tell me to go back with some 3D glasses. And, OMG, the whole thing has hidden anaglyph levels.

Which means... I'm going to have to also watch the show with colored lenses at least once per episode. To be sure. I'm such a nerd.

#597 | Back to Top06-19-2017 09:17:00 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

My friend tried to get me on Hannibal and Bates Motel, but the first just kind of played too slick for me and I couldn't get a hold on anything, and the other... wasn't manic or funny enough. I love all four Psycho movies. But, they're funny, and sexy, and skittish and weird, and that tv show was just bog standard tv melodrama. Le sigh, le sigh.

I should try Hannibal sometime with people who love it in the room.

Also this:https://33.media.tumblr.com/ad9a2b7a062 … o1_500.gif

I love both X-Files leads so much, and the show is a favorite, really, though, yeah, I don't know that I've actually seen much of the last couple seasons, or if so, more than once. The actors seem like solid people, on several fronts.

Some of the early X-Files writers have said that Duchovny's turn as a trans FBI agent in TP influenced them writing Anderson the "male" role and him the more TV-traditionally emotionally-wounded and intuitive "female" role. (Which, I guess, shows how concretized these formats were even in the brains of tv writers, at that point. X-Files gets no credit... but it did and has accomplished a lot, itself. I love that Anderson took on the wage gap, that Duchovny backed her up, and that it set good precedent, even if it took then ten seasons and twenty years (Jesus!).)

Something I don't think TP gets enough credit for is how much it integrated its tie-ins, releasing novels between seasons that would just blow things open in different ways, the theatrical movie, the call-in 1-900 number. Viral marketing and essential tie-ins have become much more a thing since, but prior to TP all I can think of are essentially more-of-same or canonicity-hazy material. The latest novel, The Secret History of Twin Peaks blew my mind twice; first read, because it was so so so X-Files in tone, and then, when I finished, a friend of mine mentioned I had read it to the author/co-creator and he told him to tell me to go back with some 3D glasses. And, OMG, the whole thing has hidden anaglyph levels.

Which means... I'm going to have to also watch the show with colored lenses at least once per episode. To be sure. I'm such a nerd.

Oh wow, as a fellow super nerd, that sounds AMAZING!!!!  I fell off the TP wagon, but I plan to get back on after pride week here has ended.

And yes, if you can, give Hannibal another chance.  I read the books after the series and I wish I head read them before (usually I prefer to see it then read it).  Bryan Fuller (the master running American Gods by Neil Gaiman) used so much of the novels in new and inventive ways.  I had no idea they were direct lines from the books because the felt so natural.

Hannibal is like a really good remix of the books with parts kinda redistributed to diff characters and made amazing use of them.  I can't praise it highly enough, and the sexual tension between Will and Hannibal (Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen) is palpable.

#598 | Back to Top06-25-2017 03:56:51 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I gots to watch me some Hannibal. I think it'll happen this summer.

Update:
Binge watching my way through it. Dr Lecter is just etc-wankgirl
The way his eyes light up whenever Will walks into a room etc-love

But seriously, great fun. I am captivated.

Last edited by Yams (06-29-2017 05:47:30 PM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#599 | Back to Top07-04-2017 12:11:41 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yams wrote:

Update:[/b] Binge watching my way through it. Dr Lecter is just etc-wankgirl

Yeah, Hannibal could make an excellent roast out of me like any day. school-chef

The show is definitely on the greasy side of slick, and this doesn't change as it goes on, rather it gets more and more into its own aesthetic. I loved it, but I can see it being a turn off. It's definitely, like most things, going to benefit from watching with a group that's into it.

I really enjoyed American Gods a LOT, but I feel like it's got less heart than Hannibal for its similar polish and Fullerness. Also, Ian McShane is drawing heavily, and I mean stupid heavily, from a few pop culture depictions of the devil for his role, and it's obvious to the point of distraction for me. (Al Pacino and Jack Nicholson, namely.) It makes me like the character more than I did in the book, but it also removes a lot of the menace the show acts as though is still there. Now that the 'big reveal' has happened, I hope they iron out the kinks in Wednesday a bit. They did a great job making Shadow not a literal stick with a sign saying 'main character.'

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#600 | Back to Top07-04-2017 02:35:21 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Giovanna wrote:

Yams wrote:

Update:[/b] Binge watching my way through it. Dr Lecter is just etc-wankgirl

Yeah, Hannibal could make an excellent roast out of me like any day. school-chef

The show is definitely on the greasy side of slick, and this doesn't change as it goes on, rather it gets more and more into its own aesthetic. I loved it, but I can see it being a turn off. It's definitely, like most things, going to benefit from watching with a group that's into it.

I really enjoyed American Gods a LOT, but I feel like it's got less heart than Hannibal for its similar polish and Fullerness. Also, Ian McShane is drawing heavily, and I mean stupid heavily, from a few pop culture depictions of the devil for his role, and it's obvious to the point of distraction for me. (Al Pacino and Jack Nicholson, namely.) It makes me like the character more than I did in the book, but it also removes a lot of the menace the show acts as though is still there. Now that the 'big reveal' has happened, I hope they iron out the kinks in Wednesday a bit. They did a great job making Shadow not a literal stick with a sign saying 'main character.'

So I watched season 1 and started 2 of Hannibal. The only complaint I have with the show is that you could basically rename it 'people have feelings for and talk about Will Graham'...to an almost Gary Stu extent. I do think Will is a great character, but I don't necessarily like the other characters reminding me of it all the time. Like, fine, Hannibal is obsessed with Will. That's his schtick. Can everybody else find another topic of conversation? Yeesh.
But it's a nitpick in quite a good series, it's exactly my aesthetic: pretty, dark, brooding, over-the-top, just creepy enough to make it exciting but not give me nightmares after. XD I'm definitely looking forward to them hitting their stride in seasons 2 & 3.

I loved the American Gods novel, I read it this year and I was more excited about the series before watching it. I understand what you mean about the less heart...I feel they're over-selling it? The novel is rather quiet and under-stated for most of it, but the series looks super over the top, gory and sexy.

Board footer