This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top03-21-2010 08:08:35 PM

Ruggahissy
Ballgoer

Re: The Great SKU Re-watch thread!

Episode 3
-I'm curious as to how Utena managed to fit through the door ways in that dress
- I love how Wakaba almost sent the two of them sailing out of the window
- On the "next time on Utena" bit they say Miki has only faught one duel but seems to be aiming to fight another for Anthy. Just curious about the duels previous to Utena

#52 | Back to Top03-22-2010 12:13:53 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Episode 3;

1)Speaking to Touga's Ninja abilities i love how Utena is proclaiming to Anthy... " I just want a perfectly normal boy" and Touga just pipes in... haha well then mr creeper.

also: i love how utena says... "there's no way a playboy like that could be my prince on a white horse" HA!! girl... HA!!! You just WAIT... just freakin' WAIT. You think Touga's bad? Pshhh Please.

2) How does anthy not know nanami? thats awkward.

3) I love Anthy's expression whilst playing the card game... priceless really.... and cute as hell :D

4) Anthy says she doesn't like places with lots of people and she gets scared because of it... well i think this is somewhat of one of those preludes to what is to come... forshadowing if you will.... I can't imagine she'd be excited about lots of people... seeing as what happened last time... *swords?*

5) Touga proves he's a creeper by his googly eyes when Utena shows up at the dance.. it hink this scene is something i'll never forget.

6) i think tis interesting that Nanami is wearing a different type of dress compared to everyone else... kind-of asserting her social class in a way

Ahh, feels good to watch that stuff again. At any rate.. i'll post more after i watch ep 4 :D

#53 | Back to Top03-22-2010 05:35:41 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I wish I could say more about episode three than how hard it made me ship Touga/Utena. I really do. emot-redface (Utena's such a tsundere!)

One thing I never really noticed about number four is Miki's "Maybe I'm the one who needs tuning" line. As an aspiring teleplay writer I was very impressed with that dialouge. However, Nanami's melodrama is still my favorite part. You get to see how much of a glutton for attention she is.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#54 | Back to Top03-22-2010 09:20:44 PM

Cyrias
Tenjou Tilter

I would love to do this, but I might need to lessen it more because I have to catch up with tafework emot-gonk emot-keke

In lumine tuo, videbimus amor ('In your light, we shall love') Slippy slippery mambo~ everyone at Ohtori is in some kind of spiritual land, created by Goddess Anthy and her brother Akio?!

#55 | Back to Top03-24-2010 05:20:10 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Conveniently timed to coincide with the great SKU rewatch, this week's Anime News Nina webcomic has a little something for the SKU fans:

http://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/anime- … 2010-03-24

#56 | Back to Top03-24-2010 06:24:26 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

Yay an excuse to re-watch although I finished the series only 3 month's ago. Anthy really malevolent looking during the ending credit sequence.
Damn, whats the acronym for that?

#57 | Back to Top03-25-2010 08:48:30 AM

Leroy
Eternal Castellan
Website

Ah, this sounds fun. Maybe I'll join in, but I did a binge rewatch of the whole series like a year ago, so maybe not. Hmm.

~ Dreaming of my Fire Flower ~

#58 | Back to Top03-25-2010 09:05:42 PM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

I'm just in time!

I've wanted to do a re-watch to see evil Anthy throughout, post-reading of all the analysis.
I'm anticipating a lot of stock-clip usage during the riide to battle, but I'm glad to be reminded some episodes like 3 don't follow any pattern.

So far my most relevant reaction to episode 3 was how did Utena sneak her custom uniform under a shoulder-revealing dress.   

Also, was Touga's reaction to Utena false? (The wide-eyed ness, we'll make a beautiful couple nonsense) Seemed a little cookie cutter playboy for me so I'm gonna go ahead and say he was trying to play her for an average girl.

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#59 | Back to Top03-25-2010 10:30:04 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

Well, the series actually does get interesting pretty quickly if you know how to look.

Episode 3

- Anthy's blankfaced pause right before she agrees to go to the ball is a reaction that I don't quite know what to make of it. I think it's supposed to be showing how much Utena is throwing Anthy off of her practiced Rose Bride role.

-TOUGA'S FACE WILL HAUNT ME FOR ALL ETERNITY. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

- Am I the only one who heard Naji's line from the dub? "Fuck YOU Table"

Episode 4

-Miki talks like an old man, it's quite off putting for how young he is.

-If everyone weren't fucked up, I'd totally ship MikixNanami. They would be so cute together if they didn't have such crippling complexes

-Miki worries me greatly. I think out of everyone in the series he buys into the delusion of Ohtori the most and shows the most danger of becoming SO MUCH like Akio *criiiinge*

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#60 | Back to Top03-25-2010 11:46:10 PM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

Anji wrote:

-Miki talks like an old man, it's quite off putting for how young he is.

This is to make up for how I mistook him for a girl in the subbed version first time around, he definitely has an effeminate introduction.

When the books fell off the fountain, it definitely didn't look like an accident...
loling forever at Nanami's failed attempts at animal freakouts and finally going into what appears to paralyzed nervous breakdown. emot-rofl

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#61 | Back to Top03-27-2010 08:17:22 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

haelsyx wrote:

Also, was Touga's reaction to Utena false? (The wide-eyed ness, we'll make a beautiful couple nonsense) Seemed a little cookie cutter playboy for me so I'm gonna go ahead and say he was trying to play her for an average girl.

I'd say less to do with her and more to do with smugness that he got her to wear a dress. Either way, horrifying. Touga doesn't really clean up very well until later. emot-frown

Also, there's a reason Miki is my least favorite character. And that reason is that...he's so innocent. emot-gonk Would someone please blow this kid already? I know the 'music' is a metaphor but still. That's not even a phallic metaphor!

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#62 | Back to Top03-27-2010 08:25:55 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Also, there's a reason Miki is my least favorite character. And that reason is that...he's so innocent. emot-gonk Would someone please blow this kid already? I know the 'music' is a metaphor but still. That's not even a phallic metaphor!

I dunno, Gio.  Have you looked at a quarter note?  I mean, really looked at it?  Though if you need more girth, you can use an eighth note instead.

Touga is at his most awful in episode 3.  It's a shame this is our first real introduction to his character.

#63 | Back to Top03-28-2010 01:49:35 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

No, I maintain you don't see Touga's colors (hurr red hurr) until episode 9. At this point they seem to still play with him as the playboy character, and really that becomes just stupidly unimportant later--to the point where it's made an afterthought to larger things (the girl that approaches him and he kisses and then drops the card).

Saionji, however, adorable and full of rage and poorly compensated insecurity from day one. emot-keke

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#64 | Back to Top03-28-2010 02:01:45 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Even though Miki is so innocent, I still think that he's not as innocent as he lets people believe. emot-wink He obviously seems to feel a lot of guilt.

Ack. emot-gonk I've been so busy I didn't even get a chance to watch these episodes. I'll still post the next episodes up tomorrow though, and try to catch up. Let me know how time is working for you all too.

#65 | Back to Top03-28-2010 07:51:10 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Uhm.... emot-gonk Sorry, I completely forgot to post here! Been so busy with math homework... I'm going to have to do some catching up when this is over.

Episode 05 - "The Sunny Garden - Finale"

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9732/0501a.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1097/0502h.jpg

Episode 06 - "Nanami-sama, Beware!"

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2478/0601t.jpg

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3743/0602twlurf.jpg

#66 | Back to Top04-01-2010 10:03:26 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

*cricket*

I need to catch up on these episodes myself. ): Anyone else think we should extend this or anything?

#67 | Back to Top04-01-2010 11:22:44 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Okay so. I'm surprised, truly surprised, that Touga boxes. I mean, it makes sense for him to be into any sport that isn't a team sport--not his thing, I suspect. But boxing is for aristocrats to spectate, not participate, in. It's like the emperor of Rome fighting in the Colosseum (you liked that movie, huh?) I just don't see anything in boxing he can't accomplish with kendo, except that perhaps boxing strips the 'ritualism' of kendo and the spiritual-mindedness. It's the same devotion to strategy, to focus, to knowing your opponent, but the emphasis is less on a diffuse concept of mind-body-spirit and more on mind over matter. Actually I suppose those terms, boxing makes more sense for Touga than kendo does, where it'd sit poorly with Saionji, who is so desperate to infuse his life with meaning.

That said....DUDE. What if someone handed him his ass? He's so vain, I can't imagine him doing well with a broken chin, nose, and clavicle.

Also, how adorable that Miki imagines Touga so sexually. Not without reason obviously, but it's so...cute. I dunno how Touga resisted corrupting that poor little guy.

#68 | Back to Top04-01-2010 11:42:47 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Gio: Touga, in the persona he projects in this episode, isn't an aristocrat or lord -- he's a knight!  He's showboating for Utena and Nanami, and boxing is a fantastic sport for showboating.  I'm sure he doesn't box for real, or at least not against anyone who can beat him.

#69 | Back to Top04-01-2010 06:47:23 PM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

There should be an almighty reckon one day, Nanami vs. Animal Kingdom

Also, what was with the cactus Mitsuru lifts after he finishes reminiscing about Nanami and Touga? My understanding is that in flower language cactus=sex, and who doesn't remember the TougaxAkio cactus room scene. I'm not exactly sure what its context is here though.

{livejournal} {youtube}

#70 | Back to Top04-01-2010 07:05:25 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Gio: Touga, in the persona he projects in this episode, isn't an aristocrat or lord -- he's a knight!  He's showboating for Utena and Nanami, and boxing is a fantastic sport for showboating.  I'm sure he doesn't box for real, or at least not against anyone who can beat him.

...great, now when I watch that scene all I am going to hear is The Rocky Road to Dublin with Robert Downey Jr. narrating in the background...

...actually, this may not be such a bad thing. school-devil

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#71 | Back to Top04-02-2010 05:51:23 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

He could certainly nail the ego. But RDJ is a little too rugged to play Touga, don't you think?

#72 | Back to Top04-04-2010 11:09:30 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Episode 07 - "Juri's Unfulfillment"

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3109/0701o.jpg

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4424/0702p.jpg

Episode 08 - "The Great Curry High Trip"

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3807/0801c.jpg

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6061/0802hn.jpg

#73 | Back to Top04-04-2010 11:14:35 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Going by the great curry high trip shot, Anthy- or Anthy's body, rather- has smaller breasts than Nanami. Could Nanami's superiority complex  be explained at last? Does size really matter?

Last edited by crystalwren (04-04-2010 11:15:24 PM)

#74 | Back to Top04-05-2010 08:32:51 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

omg, two of my favorite episodes *watches*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#75 | Back to Top05-04-2010 12:49:31 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

OMG EPISODE SEVEN.
I'm definitely going to write something down!

Board footer