This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#251 | Back to Top04-18-2015 01:30:23 PM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

Re: What pisses you off the most in SKU?

1) Not long enough.
2) Ikuhara never utilized the armor we saw in the opening. I really want to see a jousting tournament at Ohtori!
3) Touga doesn't have much of a backstory, unlike the other Duelists.
4) The English dub.
5) Series-Utena is not as cool and realistic as LN-Utena.
6) We never see Utena and Anthy reunite in most continuities.
7) The anime should have incorporated the game's story, even if D-ko is a non-sequitur; it would provide foreshadowing for the Utena-Akio relationship and the Black Rose Arc.
8) Nanami murdering that kitten. I will never forgive her.

"Depression, the bereavement of the Past
Anxiety, the imminence of the Future
Contentment, the seduction of the Present
Time flows mercilessly, and I reside on the Island of Denial"

#252 | Back to Top04-18-2015 01:39:43 PM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

Snow wrote:

Karuka wrote:

only think that bugs me is any translation that makes "Utenasama" into "lady Utena" arrrrggggg
(a reason why I avoid anything translated)

I watched the English dub first and they translated it as 'Miss Utena'. It sounded ok as a translation (if my understanding of the honorific -sama is to go by), if I bit awkward, but one could argue that's the point anyway. But 'Lady Utena' is a lot more awkward, I agree. Perhaps it's a good thing SKU is not dubbed in my language, since then it would be 'Gospođica Utena', which in frequent repetition (read:more than once) would make me want to smash my screen.

miss utena is still not an accepted thing for me
since all honorifics, except maybe "dono", are gender neutral, I prefer them to no be translated
the lady utena thing I saw it in the manga, and I dropped the translated version as it was and picked up the japanese instead.

まずここでこのオスカル・フランソワの命をたってからにされるがよい!

#253 | Back to Top04-18-2015 02:02:47 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

DorianGray345 wrote:

4) The English dub.

THIS.

My more specific complaint about this, is casting Rachael Lillis as Utena. I quite like her as a character actor or voicing adults, but as a teen character she just rings false. Compare her work as two characters in the same show: in Pokemon, she's terrific as Jesse but I never liked her as Misty. Is this just me? I don't think this is just me.

They also cast Lisa Ortiz as Shiori, which is great for Shiori, but she shows up in what, three episodes? That's poor utilization of resources.

Yes, I know Lisa Ortiz is older than Rachel Lillis. It's only by a few years, and I think Ortiz is just a better actor.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#254 | Back to Top04-18-2015 04:18:44 PM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

cypsiman2 wrote:

Second, the show tries to paint him in a tragic light at the very end, the Shadow-Girls talking up how sad it was that he was sick and dying and how he just wanted to bring Juri a miracle isn't that just soo romantic?  Gag me.  The show makes no bones about the other douchebags being douchebags, but this guy gets to be lionized after freaking assaulting Juri?  No, not acceptable, not at all.

Well, for all we know it's possible he could have actually beaten whatever illness it was that afflicted him if he'd just stayed in bed. We just kind of assume his "knowing how sick he was" means he was going to die soon no matter what, but is that really the case? What if there was actually a chance he could have actually recovered in due time, and he threw it away for Juri's sake?

Call me crazy, but I think a plotbunny just spawned in my head. A narrative worthy of a drabble, at least...

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#255 | Back to Top04-18-2015 05:04:09 PM

staplerman
Wakaba Wrangler

DorianGray345 wrote:

2) Ikuhara never utilized the armor we saw in the opening. I really want to see a jousting tournament at Ohtori!

yaaaaaaaaaaaas

I was really looking forward to seeing Anthy on a horse in that armor! I thought maybe it'd be a final episode thing, but it never happened... what a tease.

4) The English dub.

When rewatching the series, I accidentally clicked on the dub of "The Sunlit Garden (Prelude)" instead of Nozomient's subbed one. I watched it out of curiosity. All it took was two lines for me to click back and try to scrub those voices from my memory. Why does Miki sound like a bored college freshman after a night of binge drinking? "I got to protect Himemiya's music. Or not. I don't really care; I'm in this strictly for the money."

#256 | Back to Top04-18-2015 06:27:09 PM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

staplerman wrote:

DorianGray345 wrote:

yaaaaaaaaaaaas

I was really looking forward to seeing Anthy on a horse in that armor! I thought maybe it'd be a final episode thing, but it never happened... what a tease.

4) The English dub.

When rewatching the series, I accidentally clicked on the dub of "The Sunlit Garden (Prelude)" instead of Nozomient's subbed one. I watched it out of curiosity. All it took was two lines for me to click back and try to scrub those voices from my memory. Why does Miki sound like a bored college freshman after a night of binge drinking? "I got to protect Himemiya's music. Or not. I don't really care; I'm in this strictly for the money."

I was ignorant of the superior Japanese track, and spent $50 on Amazon in order to buy the dub-only Instant Videos. Such is life.

AU Ohtori - The Duelists joust for Anthy, with the whole school watching for the lolz.

"Depression, the bereavement of the Past
Anxiety, the imminence of the Future
Contentment, the seduction of the Present
Time flows mercilessly, and I reside on the Island of Denial"

#257 | Back to Top04-18-2015 08:18:45 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Chrome Homura wrote:

Well, for all we know it's possible he could have actually beaten whatever illness it was that afflicted him if he'd just stayed in bed. We just kind of assume his "knowing how sick he was" means he was going to die soon no matter what, but is that really the case? What if there was actually a chance he could have actually recovered in due time, and he threw it away for Juri's sake?

That is actually my headcanon on Ruka.

Call me crazy, but I think a plotbunny just spawned in my head. A narrative worthy of a drabble, at least...

Ooh, me wanna see emot-dance

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#258 | Back to Top04-18-2015 09:08:42 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Chrome Homura wrote:

Wouldn't that make him a complete idiot, though? Maybe I'm too selfish to see the wonders of such selfless sacrifice but if it was a condition that could be cured then I can't see why he did not wait until it was so and then help Juri in whatever way he saw fit. Not to mention that if he did so he could have helped her out in the long run instead of the hit-and-run approach.

As far as I see it the Shadow Girls more than implied that Ruka's condition was indeed fatal and that he acted as he did precisely because he was running out of time. It's the only way of making any sense of his actions.

#259 | Back to Top04-18-2015 09:21:34 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Nocturnalux wrote:

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Chrome Homura wrote:

Wouldn't that make him a complete idiot, though? Maybe I'm too selfish to see the wonders of such selfless sacrifice but if it was a condition that could be cured then I can't see why he did not wait until it was so and then help Juri in whatever way he saw fit. Not to mention that if he did so he could have helped her out in the long run instead of the hit-and-run approach.

As far as I see it the Shadow Girls more than implied that Ruka's condition was indeed fatal and that he acted as he did precisely because he was running out of time. It's the only way of making any sense of his actions.

Or, it could've been a case where the hospital's treatments could've prolonged Ruka's life, but not the quality of it (think late stage cancer patient undergoing chemo).  Maybe it's a case where neither he nor the doctors could say for certain if he could recover completely, but that the longer he stay with the life-prolonging treatment - one with perhaps debilitating side effects  - the less of a chance his body would be able to handle Duels at Ohtori.  So, instead of living on bedridden hoping for a miracle, Ruka decides to cease treatment and get back to Ohtori to help Juri -knowing this will shorten his life - while he still can.  That's still a sacrifice scenario, and one that doesn't contradict the Shadow Girl Play.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#260 | Back to Top04-18-2015 09:49:29 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

That would make sense, yes, I'd count such a scenario as 'fatal disease'.

And I'm sure it's been mentioned before but those yaoi hands really freak me out on occasion.

#261 | Back to Top04-18-2015 10:02:48 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Nocturnalux wrote:

And I'm sure it's been mentioned before but those yaoi hands really freak me out on occasion.

So much of Utena is about borderline situations (Utena and the Kaorus being borderline children, Akio and Kanae being bordline adults, etc), thus why I got this "bad-but-might-live-longer-with-treatment" scenario as my Ruka health headcanon.

P.S. "Yaoi hands?"

#262 | Back to Top04-22-2015 11:56:30 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Have actually never even heard the English dub. Not sure if I want to, even for lolz. Sailor Moon was bad enough.

Hmm...in my latest rewatch of the series, I got very pissed off any time someone was mean to Nanami. So I felt much fury towards Touga and pigtail girl (Keiko?). God knows Nanami deserves much of it but HELL I was really angry, like my face got hot and everything. emot-gonk

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#263 | Back to Top04-30-2015 03:56:48 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Nocturnalux wrote:

So much of Utena is about borderline situations (Utena and the Kaorus being borderline children, Akio and Kanae being bordline adults, etc), thus why I got this "bad-but-might-live-longer-with-treatment" scenario as my Ruka health headcanon.

P.S. "Yaoi hands?"

If it's 'live longer but would still die' then I can buy it, if it's 'could be cured and resume normal life' then I have serious doubts.

'Yaoi hands', when male characters' hands are absurdly huge in comparison to their own body. Even stranger when in compariosn to other people:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma55l7dS1N1rqs5ulo1_1280.jpg

Last edited by Nocturnalux (04-30-2015 03:57:15 PM)

#264 | Back to Top04-30-2015 06:28:43 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

God, that thing is not a hand. It's a frickin' face-hugger!

#265 | Back to Top04-30-2015 08:18:12 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

hahahahahhaha what the frick touga

im a shadow play girl irl

Board footer