This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1626 | Back to Top10-29-2016 10:21:15 AM

Koshernova
Touga Topper
Website

Re: Favorite books/Books you are currently reading

Currently reading the second novel of Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

I'm enjoying it because I enjoyed the series but, honestly, the show feels superior to me. Basically the show gives you everything the novels do, and the translation is much more expressive. I still do enjoy the books as they do give some bits of depth in character backgrounds that wasn't properly explained in the series. But the anime gives you amazing directing by Noboru Ishiguro, incredible voice acting and elevates what is, frankly, a strong but unremarkable series of novels. It's getting much better with volume 2, however, now that a lot of the world-building is out of the way.

#1627 | Back to Top11-10-2016 04:07:45 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Reading Mark Frost's The Secret History of Twin Peaks and completely engrossed, intrigued and smiling. It's mysterious, interesting, and cute.

However, like "never look at the comments" I shouldn't have looked at the Amazon reviews, which are full of "this isn't a real story," and "First, this is a 'novel' in the loosest sense. It is more of a scrap book." Because, apparently, there are people living in the 21st Century, who read books, who think that the epistolary novel isn't a thing. Or a "real" thing.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#1628 | Back to Top11-27-2016 02:24:10 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I'm rereading The Karankawa Indians of Texas: An Ecological Study of Cultural Tradition and Change and learning so much more than they ever taught us in elementary school. It turns out I had a lot of misconceptions about these people. I thought they were primitive cannibals.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#1629 | Back to Top01-05-2017 01:47:47 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

One of my 2017 goals is to read more, and count how many books I've read. One of my friends does this and I believe last year they read 29 books! ...Yeah, they read a lot.
SOO I didn't finish any of the books I last said I was reading because I'm a lazy bum, but I shall eventually. I got the first Bakemonogatari novel for Christmas and I'm currently reading that, 'cause I loved the anime (only Bakemonogatari. I'm nottttt a fan of the rest of the Monogatari Series, but that's a rant for another day.).
I'm also reading Fahrenheit 451 whenever I have free time in school. I like it so far.

This binch be postin' once every century

#1630 | Back to Top01-05-2017 07:29:48 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Cert Guide CompTIA Security+ SY0-401 Third Edition. emot-confused

#1631 | Back to Top01-07-2017 09:24:15 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

American Gods

I like it

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#1632 | Back to Top01-07-2017 02:58:28 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

American Gods by  Neil Gaiman? That from what i remember was such an trippy book. Enjoy.

Thanks to my E-reader am reading too much/many crappy smutty romance books...so on a quest to read some more serious stuff... I read All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation.
Which was a very interesting look at what life trends are poplar for a large number of  American women currently. With a lot of background on how this section of society has impact the USA,...my summary is crap but the book is interesting.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#1633 | Back to Top01-10-2017 09:26:40 PM

SaigonAlice
Tenjou Tilter

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

I wish it wasn't peppered with random French lol

Thân em như quả mít trên cây,
Vỏ nó sù sì, múi nó dày.
Quân tử có yêu thì đóng cọc,
Xin đừng mân mó nhựa ra tay. - Hồ Xuân Hương

#1634 | Back to Top01-11-2017 04:20:19 AM

malna
Caretaker

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

It's meh.

a lot of hope in one man tent

#1635 | Back to Top01-19-2017 10:26:55 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

American Gods by  Neil Gaiman? That from what i remember was such an trippy book. Enjoy.

It is.

One of the best things I've read in a while.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#1636 | Back to Top01-31-2017 06:40:13 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

I am glad that you are enjoying it!

In addition to reading tons of smut! I a few weeks ago, I read a book about transportation in the USA called, Door to Door, then Weapons of Math Destruction: which is about how all the use of algorithms and the internet are impacting society. Now that I think about it, its unsurprising how both of them mentioned the Amazon as an example; I just thought about it.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#1637 | Back to Top02-07-2017 04:01:29 AM

SaigonAlice
Tenjou Tilter

I finished Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (R.I.P)! It's a really good, funny book. I think if you liked Utena as a show, which I suppose most of you do, then I think you'll like it!

Right now I'm reading The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters and From The Fatherland, With Love by Ryu Murakami. Kinda excited.

Vỏ nó sù sì, múi nó dày.

#1638 | Back to Top02-07-2017 07:49:06 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

I read some of Terry Pratchetts Going Postal. It was hilarious! I got a long list of books I have yet to read.

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#1639 | Back to Top02-07-2017 08:24:27 PM

SaigonAlice
Tenjou Tilter

yusaku wrote:

I read some of Terry Pratchetts Going Postal. It was hilarious! I got a long list of books I have yet to read.

Yeah it's good stuff! I should read more Pratchett too.

Vỏ nó sù sì, múi nó dày.

#1640 | Back to Top02-16-2017 01:57:57 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm reading Animal Farm, which I haven't even looked at since like middle school. I hated it then, but with the same burning rage I felt for anything I was forced BY THE SYSTEM to expose myself to.

There's been a lot of talk about 1984 and how relevant it is right now, but I have to say Animal Farm feels more on the nose just now. Maybe it's the more juvenile writing and setting? Or that the system is maintained less by fear than by inflicted ignorance. But it's definitely a lot more valuable this time around, especially with the current US 'government' so consciously rewriting the commandments and saying things that happened didn't.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#1641 | Back to Top02-19-2017 07:52:15 AM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

Giovanna wrote:

I'm reading Animal Farm, which I haven't even looked at since like middle school.

I love Animal Farm. It was the only assigned book that I actually read in my high school freshman year. emot-dance

#1642 | Back to Top02-20-2017 01:50:48 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm enjoying it more now. The absolute best way to make me hate a book is force me to read it, so a lot of otherwise great novels just have bad juju for me because of the miserable way I had to read them. emot-redface

The Scarlet Letter still sucks, though.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#1643 | Back to Top02-20-2017 10:20:02 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

The Scarlet Letter is a piece of shit with absolutely no merit worth speaking of and I simply cannot understand why people are made the read it, let alone study it, to this day. emot-mad

#1644 | Back to Top02-21-2017 08:26:22 AM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

I've never read The Scarlet Letter, though since I'm not done with high school yet I may be forced to one year emot-gonk
Kind of a topic derail, but one book I absolutely hated that I was assigned to read was A Separate Piece. I hated the main character so much, and the fact that he reminds me a little of me didn't help, lol.

#1645 | Back to Top03-07-2017 01:33:55 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

J-K Huysman's L -Bas has been sitting on my Kindle, the public domain translation, and I'm finally getting to it. I'm enrapt, already. I love 19th Century prose that reads like 1980s prose. Crisp, elegant, moody as fuck. Somewhere between Clive Barker and Umberto Eco, and specifically, good Barker and Eco.

It's funny, to me, that it came to me down from namechecks by Rob Zombie and Grant Morrison, but I'm glad something put it on my radar and I'm not sure why it, or any of the author's later books were pinged for me before (even given that it's taken me almost ten years to get around to reading this).

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#1646 | Back to Top07-08-2017 07:12:09 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

I'm reading the months-old that I haven't got to reading yet new Bakemonogatari novels. I'm a fan of the Bakemonogatari anime, mostly because I'm a pathetic weeaboo but ALSO cause I like how it blends folklore/mythology with personal problems. As for the rest of the Monogatari series... it's all mehh... and there are a lot of parts that made me feel uncomfortable (not to start any thread derailment so I'll just leave it there).
BUT YEah the translation is pretty wonky in my opinion. Some sentences just don't flow, I guess? I dunno.

Last edited by sailor-anthy (07-08-2017 07:13:53 PM)

#1647 | Back to Top08-29-2017 12:24:01 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

Recently read Anya's Ghost. I loved the cute art style! The story is simultaneously funny and dark. The ending felt a little bit cliche, but overall, still enjoyable.

#1648 | Back to Top09-19-2017 06:46:29 AM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I finally finished Demian. It was really gay. It was also very interesting and brought me some insight to my own life and how I might start a cult around Abraxas. Also, Demain x Emil.

Ps, the Hebrew translation was really good! Usage of high language was hard for me to read at the start, but fitting for a book of this nature.

Last edited by itavin (09-19-2017 06:47:01 AM)

If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

#1649 | Back to Top09-26-2017 01:23:26 PM

Hornet
New Student

Reading Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse right now to-and-from work. Bought it on the strength of Siddhartha. Enjoying it a lot. Might comment more when I'm done.

#1650 | Back to Top09-27-2017 01:19:53 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

Stardust by Niel Gaiman. First book of his I'm reading. I know, I know, I haven't even read Coraline (yet!).
I still need to finish Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas... I stopped right at Part 2 and haven't started back up again. Some books on my to-read list are Catch 22 and Push.

Board footer