This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-31-2015 05:00:45 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Steven Universe

Anyone here watching this humble, understated little cartoon heavily influenced by Shoujo Kakumei Utena?
Diverse cast, sensitive and progressive handling of gender roles, nuanced character development, canon lesbians, I could go on for hours.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/float_zpsgfp6j24l.jpg~original

ZETTAI UNMMEI-- no wait, wrong cartoon. school-devil

I am waiting for the #StevenBomb happening June 15th, can't wait!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#2 | Back to Top05-31-2015 09:42:14 AM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Re: Steven Universe

Hellz to the yeah! I'm watching this.
I am obsessed with [Lapis]! I'm really hoping that she'll become [a Crystal Gem at some point].

Are you following Keep Beach City Weird as well? I think that blog is so neat x3!

#3 | Back to Top05-31-2015 10:12:41 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I watched a few episodes of it, and I liked... pretty much everything about it but Steven. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#4 | Back to Top06-01-2015 10:07:06 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I watched a few episodes of it, and I liked... pretty much everything about it but Steven. Maybe I'll give it another try.

I felt the same way when I started watching it, but he gets better and feels a lot more real and less like a generic adorkable jokester as the show progresses and becomes more story and character focused rather than episodic, filler humor standard CN fare.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (06-01-2015 10:07:37 PM)

#5 | Back to Top06-02-2015 08:59:30 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

That's encouraging to hear. Everything else is so good!

#6 | Back to Top06-02-2015 09:56:14 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Same. I like the show, but Steven wears on my last nerve sometimes. Lion is my favorite. etc-love

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#7 | Back to Top06-02-2015 03:39:35 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Steven has gotten a lot better. A lot of the early irritating behavior seems to stem more from the fact that he is very insecure and young than genuinely being obnoxious. Sometimes he has a groaner moment but they seem to get further and further apart as the show progresses, ESPECIALLY post-season one.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#8 | Back to Top06-02-2015 03:48:28 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

The way everyone describes it, it sounds like there's a combination of character development and the writers hitting their stride.

To compare another show, Linda in season 1 of Bob's Burgers really got under my skin because it seemed like 90% of the problems in the show were directly caused by her and she had no redeeming characteristics. But by season 2, the show had matured a little, Linda became more likeable despite not changing that much because she had been fleshed out more, as well as being better balanced by the other characters.

I felt very similarly about Steven as I did about Linda early on, so perhaps that more than anything else is good incentive to give the show another chance.

#9 | Back to Top06-02-2015 11:03:01 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

ShatteredMirror wrote:

The way everyone describes it, it sounds like there's a combination of character development and the writers hitting their stride.

To compare another show, Linda in season 1 of Bob's Burgers really got under my skin because it seemed like 90% of the problems in the show were directly caused by her and she had no redeeming characteristics. But by season 2, the show had matured a little, Linda became more likeable despite not changing that much because she had been fleshed out more, as well as being better balanced by the other characters.

I felt very similarly about Steven as I did about Linda early on, so perhaps that more than anything else is good incentive to give the show another chance.

The voice acting on Steven's part also improves, in that the VA stops sounding like he's trying to sound "fat."  You know, when there's that weird roll or warbling huskiness in the back of the voice that VAs assume all fat people have for some reason?  As his VA falls into the character he sounds a lot more natural and it makes all his more emotional and contemplative scenes 1000x better. 

There's another Stevenbomb coming up in a week with a bunch of new episodes, so now is as good a time as any to try a rewatch.

#10 | Back to Top06-03-2015 02:55:30 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I have to agree with everyone else, at the beginning I was watching SU just because everyone was raving about it, and thinking to myself, "Really? People are liking THIS shit?" It was juuuust okay enough and with juust enough SKU and Sailor Moon (and the occasional NGE) references to make it fun to watch and blog about, then suddenly I had watched all 55 episodes and was completely hooked.

Favorite characters?
I am very partial to Pearl (I like neurotic characters) and, obviously, who doesn't love Garnet?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#11 | Back to Top06-03-2015 03:10:58 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I think what really kept me hooked through SU, even during the earlier eps that were more episodic, twee and poorly animated (off character models, mostly.  The BGs and overall style were always gorgeous), was just the premise of the show itself and what it represented:

A main male lead who is taught by, admires, and looks up to female role models -and only female role models.   There is never any expectation that he should aspire to surpass them, only be a part of them.  Every new skill he learns represents this; there is no godlike dues-ex machina strength that comes from his unique status as a male gem, or a half-human gem.  His powers express themselves in new and inventive ways, and his human side provides new areas of growth in the gem's character arcs, certainly, but he's never implied to be greater than any of them, as if they and their strength were just benchmarks along his own journey.

A lost female character is who is actively mourned and shown to have had meaningful, powerful relationships with the entire cast, not just the male lead. A lost female character who the viewers learn more and more about as the show progresses, and thus continues to develop in her own sense.

A father figure who is only able to provide positive emotional support to his child; and that being perfectly okay.

Three females who take on familial roles, but not simply maternal roles.  If anything, Amethyst acts as an older sister to Steven, sometimes a younger, and Garnet does all the things traditionally expected of a father: stoic, problem-oriented, strong, decisive and protective.  Pearl is the mother who never wanted to be a mother.  All are decidedly non-human and struggle with each of these roles.  And none of them give up their strength or power as gems, their responsibilities that come with that, just because there is now a child in their world.

All of the gay.  So much gay.  Love.  Gay.  Also nonbinary representation.  unf yes. dark skinned characters, characters with a variety of nonwhite traits and characteristics, human and nonhuman.  So, you know, sci-fi and fantasy that doesn't erase race and use white folk as the template for all other life.  Yus.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (06-03-2015 03:11:25 PM)

#12 | Back to Top06-03-2015 03:33:59 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

All the good things.

Totally agreed.

One of the shining moments of the show for me personally is the episode where you meet Connie's parents. I don't know how much of this was intentional on the creator's part, but until that episode you have only 'seen' them through Connie's descriptions; painting them as stuffy, strict and close-minded, people who would NEVER accept Steven and his oddball family. And as the audience we judge them and expect them not to - parents who keep an eye on what their kids eat and what TV they watch are generally the 'bad' parents in cartoons. And then, predictably, they DON"T like Steven and his family - but only because they're trying so hard to be some 'normal' archetype to impress Connie's parents that they come off as awkward, fake and weird. It isn't until they start acting like 'themselves' that Connie's parents like and accept them - simply because they are good parents to Steven, completely disregarding the fact that they're aliens. emot-dance It's soooo easy for 'progressive' shows to fall into the trap pf being preachy and judgmental, Steven Universe always tries to show you the good in everyone and the validity of their viewpoint, whatever their view and whoever they may be.

Also this:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/tumblr_nn0wdxOlAn1uqn4zeo1_540_zpspwocoql2.jpg~original

#13 | Back to Top06-03-2015 04:20:37 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

That made me so happy to read.

#14 | Back to Top06-13-2015 03:32:55 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

This cracked me up

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/tumblr_nn0n79RbWR1ruhs70o4_540_zps3x5per1x.jpg~original

See the rest here:
http://vraik.tumblr.com/post/1214461667 … w-the-dork

#15 | Back to Top06-18-2015 05:08:30 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Just gonna leave this here

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/4_zps8wjp8ht0.jpg~original

school-sherlock

#16 | Back to Top06-18-2015 11:20:40 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

*tries not to go on and on about the major conflict each gem represents and how they teach Steven*

*tries not to go into rambling detail about my thoughts on Pearl's past on Homeworld*

#17 | Back to Top06-19-2015 03:24:07 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

*tries not to go on and on about the major conflict each gem represents and how they teach Steven*

*tries not to go into rambling detail about my thoughts on Pearl's past on Homeworld*

http://i.imgur.com/Rbz2cGa.jpg

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#18 | Back to Top06-19-2015 04:16:28 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

^ Broken ankles likely, but do it anyway. I second that.

PEARL. emot-gonk

#19 | Back to Top06-19-2015 04:37:51 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Pearl is interesting.
I want to know so much more about her and Rose. It's obvious that there's a huge miscommunication in what they think defines their relationship.
I think she should be the first gem to fuse with Steven. The feelings and tension that would result would be marvelous.

If not her and Steven, I'd like to see [Lapis ]and Steven.

Can anyone think of fusion names for Steven and the other characters?

I kind of like the idea of 'Sterling' for Steven and Pearl.

#20 | Back to Top06-20-2015 04:59:35 AM

lectic
Wakaba Wrangler

I absolutely adore Steven Universe! It's just so beautifully written and progressive, and I love the animation style and the overall aesthetic of the show. And I love all of the characters so much it's unreal, it's hard to pick a favourite but I usually go with garnet because Garnet, and even the secondary characters get their own episodes and some nice development. The world is so open to interpretation and theory also... and all that foreshadowing to analyse!! It's not afraid to delve into some really deep and dark stuff but it does it in such an implicit and open way. It's so refreshing to have a show with such a varied female cast as well.

I'd say to anyone who is thinking of watching it to definitely give it a go. It's true that the first few episodes have a slightly different feel to them but I think that's just for the sake of introducing the basic concepts and the characters of the show in a very simple sense. Also, it's to make it appealing and accessible to kids, since this is a kids' tv show, so of course Steven's comic relief aspect is played up a little, as are the other stereotypes and the humour. So I'd get around 10 episodes into it maybe before you decide if it's your thing or not? Personally there hasn't been an episode so far I haven't enjoyed in some way, and I can't wait for more.

...And of course all the Utena references! It makes me so happy! I'm pretty sure I've seen a few more besides the obvious: [Pearl's sword fight with holo-Pearl and taking Rose's sword from Lion], but I don't want to try and stretch things and associate the two shows just because I want the references to be there. It makes me wonder what Ikuni would think if he was aware of them.

YamPuff wrote:

Just gonna leave this here

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/4_zps8wjp8ht0.jpg~original

I hadn't thought of that one!

I am an actor, eternally metaphorical

Icon credit

#21 | Back to Top06-20-2015 06:15:56 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

When it comes to SKU parallels, there have been many things that just make me think of SKU and then there is stuff like what I just posted above, that I'm quite positive are direct tributes. I don't like to stretch it too much, but sometimes a spade is a spade.

Knowing everything I do now, the series is just begging for a rewatch.

I have been wondering, since I made the connection that our two 'smart' or scientist-y Gems both have their gems on their foreheads (Peridot and Pearl), is the Gem placement in any way significant?

Last edited by YamPuff (06-20-2015 12:39:11 PM)

#22 | Back to Top06-29-2015 07:34:29 AM

lectic
Wakaba Wrangler

Rewatching SU is painful and bizarre considering how much we know about the characters now... it really has a different tone and feel to it early on?

YamPuff wrote:

I have been wondering, since I made the connection that our two 'smart' or scientist-y Gems both have their gems on their foreheads (Peridot and Pearl), is the Gem placement in any way significant?

I've wondered about that too, actually! And about how the number of facets of the gem might play a part? Considering the parallel between Peal and Rose vs Lapis and Steven given the latest episode "Chille Tid" it makes me think whether it affects the personality of the gem. They both seem incredibly dedicated and stubborn about receiving help, and have very intense emotional reactions…. It also seems that Peridot and Pearl also have similar kind of roles? They're not for fighting as such, so it’s possible that Peridot is an "upgraded" Pearl considering how far gem technology appears to have advanced since the Gems were last on Homeworld. At least that's what I assume from Lapis' reaction upon returning.

Icon credit

#23 | Back to Top06-29-2015 10:06:43 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

You know what's really interesting as someone late to the fandom? Reading peopling arguing about how Garnet[ can't possibly be a fusion] and why.

lectic wrote:

Rewatching SU is painful and bizarre considering how much we know about the characters now... it really has a different tone and feel to it early on?

YamPuff wrote:

I've wondered about that too, actually! And about how the number of facets of the gem might play a part? Considering the parallel between Peal and Rose vs Lapis and Steven given the latest episode "Chille Tid" it makes me think whether it affects the personality of the gem. They both seem incredibly dedicated and stubborn about receiving help, and have very intense emotional reactions…. It also seems that Peridot and Pearl also have similar kind of roles? They're not for fighting as such, so it’s possible that Peridot is an "upgraded" Pearl considering how far gem technology appears to have advanced since the Gems were last on Homeworld. At least that's what I assume from Lapis' reaction upon returning.

I know! I want to rewatch it since, knowing what I do now, it'll make a lot of remarks and scenes make more sense HOWEVER there are also episodes where Steven's hands turn into kittens and I'm like...ehhhhhh. It's almost like rewatching SKU with the Nanami & recap episodes. XD

Interesting parallel between Steven & Lapis, I kept think of hers as on her back, but if you look at it as their 'torso'...hmmm.

#24 | Back to Top06-29-2015 12:12:37 PM

lectic
Wakaba Wrangler

YamPuff wrote:

You know what's really interesting as someone late to the fandom? Reading peopling arguing about how Garnet [can't possibly be a fusion] and why.

I know its so obvious in retrospect! And yeesh some of the arguents about [Pearl's totally 10000% heterosexual feelings for Rose and PearlRose vs GregRose and Jasper being abusive.... ] the fandom really does scare me sometimes.

YamPuff wrote:

episodes where Steven's hands turn into kittens

It's a terrifying episode when you look back at it! It is a bit bizarre and out of place but I think it's purely for introducing the concept of the gems being able to shapeshift [and foreshadowing [part of] Rose residing in Lion perhaps??????]. Also for nightmare fuel.

YamPuff wrote:

Interesting parallel between Steven & Lapis, I kept think of hers as on her back, but if you look at it as their 'torso'...hmmm.

Hmm..... I've not really read much theory about that but I wonder how that would affect/influence the [Amethyst should've been a jasper but was "overcooked" in the Kindergarten when the Homeworld Armies left Earth so ended up as a small amethyst] theory...

And how late is late? Did you join during a Stevenbomb or?

Icon credit

#25 | Back to Top06-29-2015 01:37:26 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I started watching about the time the T-shirt episode (with the mayor's son) aired. I think I went through all 55 eps in like a couple weeks.

The [Pearl being het towards Rose] is really just weird and also all the hate being levelled towards her and Rose since the last StevenBomb was just terrible. Heaven forbid we have well-developed, multi-faceted characters. Steven Universe is such a respectful, sensitively made cartoon, I really do appreciate it, so it was disappointing for me to see the fans react that way.

I'm interested in the new graphic novel I've heard will be coming out. Anyone know what it's about?

Board footer