This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-07-2015 06:15:08 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Nozomi asking Utena fans for help w/ Blu-Ray Release

Check out the article here!

I think we, of all groups, should have a good say in some great ideas! what are your thoughts!

#2 | Back to Top09-07-2015 07:08:31 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Re: Nozomi asking Utena fans for help w/ Blu-Ray Release

Can we get Enokido to sit down for a commentary? I love Ikuhara, but it'd be nice to get some straight talking from the guy who wrote the damn thing.

#3 | Back to Top09-07-2015 08:06:20 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Atropos wrote:

Can we get Enokido to sit down for a commentary? I love Ikuhara, but it'd be nice to get some straight talking from the guy who wrote the damn thing.

Or more than half of it, anyway!

I agree, I'd like to hear more from him. Enokido's done interviews and commentary before, but they're not high-profile like Ikuhara's and they're not as available to the English fandom.

Episode commentaries on some of the episodes he wrote would be amazing. Ideally, he could do several, and they'd be a mix of key plot episodes (the first or last episodes, 22 or 23, 33 or 34) and more "normal" episodes. I'd love to hear his commentary on episode 26, the second Miki duel, or episode 30, the Barefoot Girl, for instance - they're dense and I feel like they'd have lots to talk about from a script-writing perspective.

Last edited by Dallbun (09-07-2015 08:08:13 PM)

#4 | Back to Top09-08-2015 11:20:41 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Atropos wrote:

This times a thousand! He's one of my idols and I'd love to hear him talk about Nanami's final duel.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#5 | Back to Top09-08-2015 02:16:54 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

A new dub please emot-gonk
I know that's out of the scope of what they're asking but please.

Bonus points if a voice actor who plays Sailor Moon does Juri and a voice actor who plays Mercury does Miki.

#6 | Back to Top09-08-2015 06:12:52 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Riri-kins wrote:

This times a thousand! He's one of my idols and I'd love to hear him talk about Nanami's final duel.

He didn't personally write that episode, though. For reference, according to Japanese Wikipedia, he's credited as scriptwriter for episodes 1-5, 7, 9, 13-15, 22-23, 25-26, 30, 33-34, and 37-39.

Come to think of it, though, I have no idea how much influence he had on episodes that he wasn't scriptwriter for. Presumably at least some?

#7 | Back to Top09-08-2015 10:11:05 PM

Riddle of Epicurus
Miki Molester

Jacrad wrote:

A new dub please emot-gonk
I know that's out of the scope of what they're asking but please.

Yep. With a Kickstarter to fund it if necessary.

#8 | Back to Top09-09-2015 04:31:14 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Atropos wrote:

This x1000. He wrote some most of my absolute faves, especially 9 and 30. etc-love

I don't know if they're looking here like they were last time, so I'll post this to bookFace as well. But I'd love to see some feedback from Enokido, and extras like OSTs, posters, or bits of translations from artbooks that included analysis chapters, which is...many of them. Liner notes attached to episodes in some manner would be swell for covering some of the more major cultural barrier moments; the SPGs especially make a lot of references and double puns that a native Japanese speaker will get that we didn't. Basically anything that leans towards more of an analysis or exploration of the show, because I really believe that potential is part of why it's survived the way it has. I trust the packaging will be stellar, but I do favor it collected in one box.

The dub doesn't concern me, so you folks can rally for that. emot-wink

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#9 | Back to Top09-09-2015 05:30:12 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Also: Crispin friggin' Freeman. I know, he's only a dub actor, but the man's brilliant. I'd much rather hear his thoughts on SKU than, say, Jimmy Zoppi's or whatsisname who voiced Akio.

Of course, if they do any of this, I'll have to get a Blu-Ray player.

Last edited by Atropos (09-09-2015 05:30:27 PM)

#10 | Back to Top09-09-2015 06:59:23 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Also, I recall there not being subtitles on the actor interviews. Maybe it was just my copy but that was a problem for me. So if they could fix that I'd appreciate it.

#11 | Back to Top09-15-2015 03:00:38 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

So im watching my DVD w/ commentary from Ikuhara and Saito... man they really didnt... talk... about much... did they? Its so frustrating. Very indirect with answers and the like. I get that is his personality, but I wish it would have been better prepared for them to really discuss more things relating to the episode playing or the show as a whole. I appreciate the commentary about the movie --b ut not in the middle of Anthy i the last episode.

I really hope they get some quality commentary from the next release. Enokido would be a great addition. Jeez, fingers crossed. I dont want everything explained, but at least some backstory on some things would be nice.

Examples: I learned it aired during primetime and final episode on christmas -- thats important for a frame of reference for what the show was!

anyway i just wanted to complain about it somewhere... here it is -- im glad they added -- but i really wish they'd focus on what is happening.

EDIT: I also want the musical and theater stuff.. no big deal

Last edited by KissFromARose (09-15-2015 03:01:41 PM)

#12 | Back to Top09-16-2015 01:10:27 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

My little fangirl heart would have an attack if Dan Green did some commentary about dubbing Nemuro/Mikage too. Squee! emot-smile

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#13 | Back to Top09-16-2015 06:53:00 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Riri-kins wrote:

My little fangirl heart would have an attack if Dan Green did some commentary about dubbing Nemuro/Mikage too. Squee! emot-smile

Imagine him AND Crispin Freeman doing audio commentary for the whole series. emot-rofl

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#14 | Back to Top09-16-2015 10:17:35 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

> new dub

you're wrong. the dub is perfect as it is. it is perfect not as a dub for any anime, but as a dub for revolutionary girl utena.

im a shadow play girl irl

#15 | Back to Top09-29-2015 07:20:03 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Arale wrote:

> new dub

you're wrong. the dub is perfect as it is. it is perfect not as a dub for any anime, but as a dub for revolutionary girl utena.

I agree that the current dub could be perfect depending on what you want out of it. The dub is nostalgic and very emblematic of the dubbing at the time of its creation. There is a certain appeal to that. I know plenty of people who still love the original Sailor Moon dub, myself included.
But that's just one of the ways a dub can be 'perfect.'

What I want out of a dub is a comparably accurate translation of the source material. The original dub had poor direction, at least if an accurate translation was the goal. I think that can be seen as almost objective considering how the actress portraying Juri was not even aware that she was a lesbian and had to be told by Crispin Freeman. And I don't mean that Juri needed to 'sound more lesbian.' But that is an absolutely crucial element to her character and influences how she should act around Shiori. A lot of nuance is lost in that translation. Another example is Anthy. She was specifically supposed to sound like an adult. But the dub, to me, does not read that way at all.

I would also like a new dub because I would like the chance to see Utena on television with a chance at a wider audience. I'm mostly thinking of Toonami. As it stands, I don't think Cartoon Network would be willing to air the dub as is because it is so dated. And it's not like Toonami doesn't play anime of a comparable age, Cowboy Bebop has pretty much been a staple of the block. And a large reason, I feel, is because it has a decent dub that portrays the characters well.
My hope would be more fans would get to experience Utena and that could mean us having more access to other side materials, like CDs or key-chains, due to the increased exposure.

Board footer