This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top05-13-2015 06:19:24 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Re: Anime/manga recommendation

The anime (and OPs) pretty heavily implies Blue x Jomy, Keith x Jomy and Tony x Jomy. Besides that, no girls. At all. Like, not even once. There isn't a lot of Terra DJ out there that I've seen, but there is a quite good Keith x Matsuka one that perfectly fits their canon series relationship. I mean, Matsuka spends an awful lot of time in Keith's room, after all. etc-saiowank

Also, I wish that the short special which shows a glimpse of the world post-series [had more characters than just Keith and Jomy! What about Blue? He made just about the greatest sacrifice, giving up his one dream of seeing Earth! No Soldier Blue incarnation!? WTF people. Give us back our albino spaceman tyvm.]

I shall give Owari no Seraph a try. After reading the first chapter of the manga, I can just about guess, the boy that gets left behind becomes a vampire? This feels so Code Geass....school-devil

Nocturnalux wrote:

The quantity of homoerotic content is yet another criteria for judging fiction. emot-dance

Quoted for truth and justice.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#52 | Back to Top05-13-2015 01:53:30 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Is Physis, the blind Mu seer, in the OPs? I seem to remember she appears briefly. There aren't a lot of girls in Terra as it is, apart from Physis there's Suena and Tony's mother...I can't recall anyone else but it has been a while. I need to rewatch it one of these days.

Do share the title of this doujin, I am more than a bit interested. I really like Keith x Matsuka even though it is all shades of wrong. [I suspect the reason why Keith treats Matsuka so horribly is at least partially because the whole Shiroe deal did a pretty number on him. Keith was never the warmest person around, to put it lightly, but after Shiroe he seemed to take a turn for the worse. I suspect that even if Matsuka was not a Mu he would still be treated rather badly by Keith. My question is whether Matsuka was born a masochist or came to realize it was his own vocation.]

I suppose the reason why Matsuka spends so much time in Keith's room is for briefing and disciplining...when put like that it sure sounds...suggestive. And other characters seem to think the same, Serge's long lost brother is rather peeved that Matsuka, of all people, gets to spend so much time with Keith. Then again odds are he's just annoyed he is not the one who gets to be 'disciplined'. etc-wankdude

I do not think I saw that special. [So everyone who dies, which is almost, well, everyone gets a 'reincarnation' finale minus Blue? That really sounds unfair, Blue is adorable and one of my favorites. On top of everything he's Kaworu's senpai.]

About Owari no Seraph, [Mika does become a vampire while Yu is off training to kill *all* vampires. I can only imagine how it'll go when they cross paths again as they are bound to do. I wish Mika was the main character, all that angs at being turned into a vampire against his will and staying in the vampire dominated city makes him so much interesting than Yu's typical shounen 'revenge/nakama' motivations.]

And there is also Yoichi whose attachment to Yu is one of those 'friendships' that border on romance.

#53 | Back to Top05-17-2015 04:56:07 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Nocturnalux wrote:

Is Physis, the blind Mu seer, in the OPs? I seem to remember she appears briefly. There aren't a lot of girls in Terra as it is, apart from Physis there's Suena and Tony's mother...I can't recall anyone else but it has been a while. I need to rewatch it one of these days.

Do share the title of this doujin, I am more than a bit interested. I really like Keith x Matsuka even though it is all shades of wrong. [I suspect the reason why Keith treats Matsuka so horribly is at least partially because the whole Shiroe deal did a pretty number on him. Keith was never the warmest person around, to put it lightly, but after Shiroe he seemed to take a turn for the worse. I suspect that even if Matsuka was not a Mu he would still be treated rather badly by Keith. My question is whether Matsuka was born a masochist or came to realize it was his own vocation.]

I suppose the reason why Matsuka spends so much time in Keith's room is for briefing and disciplining...when put like that it sure sounds...suggestive. And other characters seem to think the same, Serge's long lost brother is rather peeved that Matsuka, of all people, gets to spend so much time with Keith. Then again odds are he's just annoyed he is not the one who gets to be 'disciplined'. etc-wankdude

I do not think I saw that special. [So everyone who dies, which is almost, well, everyone gets a 'reincarnation' finale minus Blue? That really sounds unfair, Blue is adorable and one of my favorites. On top of everything he's Kaworu's senpai.]

About Owari no Seraph, [Mika does become a vampire while Yu is off training to kill *all* vampires. I can only imagine how it'll go when they cross paths again as they are bound to do. I wish Mika was the main character, all that angs at being turned into a vampire against his will and staying in the vampire dominated city makes him so much interesting than Yu's typical shounen 'revenge/nakama' motivations.]

And there is also Yoichi whose attachment to Yu is one of those 'friendships' that border on romance.

This is the doujin: http://www.mangago.me/read-manga/terra_ … ittle_bit/

Yeah Physis is one of the big players in the OPs despite not really doing much of any real use the entire series. She kind of exists to fuck things up. They do suggest a Blue x Physis thing, but the way he calls her 'my goddess' tends to make me feel like their relationship is...a very deep and loving one, but platonic.

The epilogue [only features Keith and Jomy:] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcV8qROZmdM
I think it should have featured all the mains, especially some of the more tragic characters!

Hehe, debriefing and disciplining. etc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowank
Honestly Keith x Matuska was one of my favorites parts of the whole series. I like messed up characters being in messed-ups with each other. Very all shades of wrong.

EDIT: I want to ask about Silver Diamond. Worth it?

Last edited by YamPuff (05-17-2015 06:21:46 AM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#54 | Back to Top05-20-2015 08:09:18 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I'm all for a Free! Thread, let's do it. Should we have a mod copy some posts over?

I like dork Rin better than antagonist Rin, so he grew on me a lot in the 2nd season. Everything is such a big deal to him,  huge drama queen.

#55 | Back to Top05-20-2015 03:48:43 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I agree with making a Free! topic because swimming boys deserve it. etc-love That and we can keep the spoilers just for the novel discussion in a thread that is just dedicated to Free!.

And we should indeed get some posts copied, maybe we can do that ourselves? Or contact a mod, whatever works.

#56 | Back to Top05-20-2015 04:11:42 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Let's see if a mod can move them and if not we'll just copy them ourselves. I'll make the thread.  Here: http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=3930

Last edited by HonorableShadow (05-20-2015 04:13:22 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#57 | Back to Top05-20-2015 09:11:42 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Hey guys, which posts do you want in there? Is there like... a big block of them you want moved, or just a few, or what? If you link the ones you want moved, I will move them.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#59 | Back to Top05-21-2015 08:28:48 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Yes those choices look good to me too!

#60 | Back to Top05-21-2015 12:03:08 PM

Ikarikun
Wakaba Wrangler

Haven't seen it here, but Sakamichi no Apollon is pretty heavy on the subtext. Uhhhh can also vouch for Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Edit: fixed a phrasing error.

Last edited by Ikarikun (05-21-2015 12:04:09 PM)

For the revolution of the world, I won't give up on love!

#61 | Back to Top05-22-2015 05:02:16 PM

Sweetgm2
Juri Jeerer

Can anyone think of a series (manga, anime, or even visual novel) where a bishonen male character has numerous male admirers after him?  I think the closest to this would be Ciel of Black Butler.  I've pretty much assumed that everyone in that series has a thing for Ciel.  Oh and Yuuri of Kyo Kara Maoh.

Last edited by Sweetgm2 (05-22-2015 05:12:33 PM)

#62 | Back to Top05-22-2015 07:23:03 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Nocturnalux wrote:

snip

The links are fine, and I really appreciate you doing that! But the forum software doesn't allow me to duplicate a post, only move it. For the posts that are only partly about Free, would you rather I moved them or left them as-is? Either way, part of your reply will be missing from one thread.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#63 | Back to Top05-23-2015 07:02:21 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I think the posts were all so Free! heavy that it would be fine for them to be moved. We were just talking about Toward the Terra in addendum, all the yummy recommendations will still be here. What do you guys think?

#64 | Back to Top05-24-2015 10:53:29 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Moved them. I can move them back if there are objections. emot-keke

#65 | Back to Top05-26-2015 03:11:33 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Thanks! Looks good to me so far.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/tumblr_not7r2IbgH1sm4yjio1_540_zpsg891vmsj.png~original

THIS IS SO IMPORTANT

Need to know how gay your sports anime is before committing to a whole season? Here's your answer. emot-keke Found this on Tumblr, where else?

#66 | Back to Top05-26-2015 05:54:32 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

That's a very handy guide! emot-rofl

#67 | Back to Top05-26-2015 10:46:49 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Heh, a very useful guide indeed but Kuroko almost rivals Free!'s gayness. It even has a canonically gay character wondering about which of his teammates is the cutest...and ironically enough that is probably not the gayest part of it either.

Seen from that angle, whenever Akashi goes on about being 'absolute' you cannot help wondering just how that would pan out in bed. And considering that Akashi is borderline insane (when not actively psychotic, that is...) makes it even more interesting.

It's even difficult sticking to one ship as virtually every pairing works. From Kuroko going on about being the shadow to Kagami's light, to their staring deeply into each other's eyes to the oodles of foe-yay with every single rival and there is even the 'former comrade/childhood friend' turned very tenacious rival.

#68 | Back to Top05-27-2015 04:02:26 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

What about Haikyuu? It's been getting a lot of love on tumblr.

This was really sweet from Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun:
http://ladyloveandjustice.tumblr.com/po … -niuniente

Its a three minute clip about dating (otome games) sims and how the best friend sometimes seems like a better match for the protag tham the girls. emot-tongue

#69 | Back to Top05-27-2015 06:43:45 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

It's even difficult sticking to one ship as virtually every pairing works. From Kuroko going on about being the shadow to Kagami's light, to their staring deeply into each other's eyes to the oodles of foe-yay with every single rival and there is even the 'former comrade/childhood friend' turned very tenacious rival.

Yeah! I usually don't tend to be a multishipper (I generally find one ship or non-conflicting ships and stick to those) but with Kuroko I just can't decide. I think my favorite is Aomine/Kuroko, but I also like Kagami/Kuroko, Kagami/Tatsuya, Aomine/Kise, Aomine/Kagami, Kise > Kuroko, etc.

Its a three minute clip about dating (otome games) sims and how the best friend sometimes seems like a better match for the protag tham the girls.

Haha, Tomoda is such a great "friend" emot-tongue

Last edited by HonorableShadow (05-27-2015 06:44:47 AM)

#70 | Back to Top05-27-2015 11:27:55 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

YamPuff wrote:

What about Haikyuu? It's been getting a lot of love on tumblr.

Haikyuu! is every bit as gay as most sports anime and then a bit more. While not as multi-ship worthy as Kuroko it is centered around the close collaboration between 'betsuni-gotta win' Kageyama and 'super genki' Hinata who start out butting heads before actually becoming a formidable duo. Once they that happens the gayness goes off the charts with Kageyama going on about always being there for Hinata in that typically super intense way that sports anime is known for. 'As long as we're together we're invinsible' and other things along that line only seal the matter even further.

And this without getting into the other characters. Yamaguchi is partically a love martyr to highly snarky Tsukishima, who else would dare to 'Tsukki' him to his face. The third years all seem enamored with the ace Asahi, in particular Nishinoya.

I also have a soft spot for Oikawa/Iwaizumi.

HonorableShadow wrote:

Yeah! I usually don't tend to be a multishipper (I generally find one ship or non-conflicting ships and stick to those) but with Kuroko I just can't decide. I think my favorite is Aomine/Kuroko, but I also like Kagami/Kuroko, Kagami/Tatsuya, Aomine/Kise, Aomine/Kagami, Kise > Kuroko, etc.

I can slash Kise almost everyone and the way he seems to flirt with Kuroko is really cute. Midorima/Takao also works.

I'm presently watching Prince of Tennis that is notorious for its gayness but for the most part it does not strike as heavy on subtext as other sports anime. At least the anime, I've heard the musical is something else. And yes, PoT does have it's very gay moments and even mocks such things in canon, at one point a character gets the impression that he is being asked on a date by a teammate and after much inner conflict of the hilarious kind decides to attend.
My problem with PoT is Ryoma. I don't mind the 'betsuni' character but he is just so insufferable that it just rubs me the wrong way. Fortunately the cast is so large that even though he is the MC you get enough interesting guys to make it a decent watch.

#71 | Back to Top05-27-2015 03:09:51 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

So much gay sports anime, so little time.

#72 | Back to Top05-29-2015 07:22:14 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Reflecting on it, Evangelion episode 24 was a better adaptation of Demian than SKU was.

#73 | Back to Top05-29-2015 08:39:12 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Atropos wrote:

Reflecting on it, Evangelion episode 24 was a better adaptation of Demian than SKU was.

Oh, hell yeah. I didn't realize it at the time, but...

I really wonder sometimes with all the weird bromancy fanboy thinging that Anno has for Ikuhara, how much of what shows up in Eva was inspired by Ikuhara's work. It came before SKU so it's not that, but I suspect they drew a lot more from each other in communications and such than either is super eager to let on. It's implied pretty heavily in that interview they do together though.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#74 | Back to Top06-03-2015 10:42:16 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I just received a very sweet KawoShin doujin, it's just cute fluff but I so want the boys to have some happiness.

I'll add to the list,

Adekan

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/adekan/images/c/c3/Snakama_uncocked_adekan_v2_ch0_sidestory.adekan_v2_ch0_cover.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140501005407

Set in a Taisho-like setting, it's about Shiro, very lazy (apparently) good-for-nothing umbrella maker who spends most of his time naked and Yamada, the righteous and occasionally goofy police officer who befriends him.
The slashy content includes having Yamada dressing Shiro as a running gag, feeding him in a really suggestive manner and just getting really, really close. Since Shiro's dislike for clothes is a defining character traits his showing a lot of skin is to be expected but he is often entirely in the nude and will not wear underwear which leads to a hell lot of gayer than BL scenes. And I'm only on the first volume.

It only becomes gayer when a psycho fetish wear character is introduced, he's like Kio and Seimei from Loveless had a baby.

The artwork is beautiful with Chinese opera on crack visuals. For all of its comedy and whacky moments, at its core it's a very dark story that can be downright chilling.

#75 | Back to Top06-04-2015 08:47:42 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I like me some KawoShin. etc-love

That looks spectacular! I will check that manga out for sure XD

Board footer