This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#576 | Back to Top03-16-2014 10:45:16 AM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Re: Dreams

Sounds vaguely like an old episode of the X-Files.

I've actually lately been remembering a lot of dreams. They're pretty much all over the place, ranging from such mundane things as playing Diablo 3 or seeing co-workers in the streets to some weird stuff involving magical girls, time loops, a hair salon, and a horrific betrayal that may or may not have been my doing (all in the same dream). Sadly, I don't recall enough details to actually post here.

The burst began when Satyreyes started putting up those puzzles on Shaved Ice, which is not really a surprise for me. Periods where I do a lot of lateral thinking have always resulted in that. But what's odd is that it's still happening, weeks after. Usually, it wears off after a couple days. I'm not complaining. I even welcome it while it lasts. It's simply an observation.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#577 | Back to Top03-16-2014 01:22:50 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Flah wrote:

I've actually lately been remembering a lot of dreams. They're pretty much all over the place, ranging from such mundane things as playing Diablo 3 or seeing co-workers in the streets to some weird stuff involving magical girls, time loops, a hair salon, and a horrific betrayal that may or may not have been my doing (all in the same dream). Sadly, I don't recall enough details to actually post here.

The burst began when Satyreyes started putting up those puzzles on Shaved Ice, which is not really a surprise for me. Periods where I do a lot of lateral thinking have always resulted in that. But what's odd is that it's still happening, weeks after. Usually, it wears off after a couple days. I'm not complaining. I even welcome it while it lasts. It's simply an observation.

What a fascinating phenomenon!  I wonder why your memory of your dreams is tied to lateral thinking!  But I'm glad to help emot-smile

#578 | Back to Top04-18-2014 08:32:02 PM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

Copy-pasting from my fail-thread:

I had a dream last night where I was hanging out with Ladios Sopp (or Amaterasu; he seemed to change back and forth) and Touga in my bedroom. I think we were drawing Miki, but I'm not sure, and Sopp was telling us how to perfectly draw him, with no mistakes.

#579 | Back to Top04-19-2014 08:48:11 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Miki is one of Sopp's fatimas? That explains so much.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#580 | Back to Top04-20-2014 08:39:08 AM

Sian
Saionji Slapper
Website

Flah wrote:

(...) The burst began when Satyreyes started putting up those puzzles on Shaved Ice, which is not really a surprise for me. Periods where I do a lot of lateral thinking have always resulted in that. But what's odd is that it's still happening, weeks after. Usually, it wears off after a couple days. I'm not complaining. I even welcome it while it lasts. It's simply an observation.

Wow, I should try that too because I can't remember dreams well.

Has anyone of you ever heard of lucid dreaming? It's really cool. Basically you know that you're dreaming and therefore are able to control whats happening or at least respond to it better. I can't do it (lucid dreaming) but my friend can.
Another interesting thing concerning my own dreams and my friend is that she and I once had really similar dreams. To be specific she dreamt that she was a bird and I dreamt that I had a bird which was her. She also dreamt about being in an amusement park with a water roller coaster (I don't know if there's a specific word for that) and in my dream we were in a public pool. At least there was water involved in both of our dreams and the bird thing of course which was actually pretty scary.
I read that in dreams you cope with things that happened during the day so maybe we dreamt similar things because we we together the whole day and experienced the same things? It's possible but maybe there are more explanations.

#581 | Back to Top05-05-2014 04:09:00 PM

Leirr ✰
Wakaba Wrangler

I think Sian and her friend are really good friends who have similar emotions and enjoy the same activities. Of course they also live in the same culture, so dreaming similar things isn't scary but cute :>

Last night, I dreamed of being a beautiful, dark sorceress. First I was pretending to live a normal life, but then some hero-looking kids came and tried to mess with me, so I did some sort of magical girl trasformation and used the soulds of people passing by, to cast evil magic-attacks - it was so cool!

But then their reinforcements showed-up, so I had to summon some sort of demon. First the monster roflstomped them, but then I and the monster somehow melted into one single entity. I was really sad over losing my beautiful body - good thing I woke-up at that point.

Last edited by Leirr ✰ (05-05-2014 06:06:17 PM)

#582 | Back to Top05-05-2014 04:23:34 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Were you, at any point, propositioned by a weird alien cat thing?

#583 | Back to Top05-05-2014 06:05:30 PM

Leirr ✰
Wakaba Wrangler

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\.

A sorceress is not a witch!

#584 | Back to Top07-06-2014 04:36:44 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

my dreams are mostly very vivid (I'm a very light sleeper, almost insomniac) the other day I dreamt of me being at the supermarket and every product I was picking it was breaking or opening, I was slipping in every other step and I couldn't stand up with out help, and some shampoo fell on my small toe and I was experiencing pain I was really feeling my toe hurting.

Another one was, me being in Azumanga Daioh along with Chiyochan, Sakakisan, Osaka, and Nyamo, and something really funny happened in the dream and I started laughing so hard I woke up laughing

Oh and another dream, I was somewhere and I was colouring an Utena drawing I had made (I can't draw in reality) I remember colouring Touga's Utena's and Sionji's hair. Then out of nowhere there was a case with a shotgun, the people around (which I recognized as my highschool classmates) and I took the gun and some how we made it firing non stop, then the owner came and saw us how to use it, and then some old woman dressed in black too the gun and took her anger out on us by shotting us one by one  :|

まずここでこのオスカル・フランソワの命をたってからにされるがよい!

#585 | Back to Top10-02-2014 09:17:02 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

I recently dreamed that I'd moved to Mars with my dad. It had been terraformed, with plenty of coniferous trees softening the otherwise harsh sunlight. It was even raining when we first got there. The next day, I pulled out my phone to tweet about my new home, but the location kept wanting to say that I was in Mali instead of on Mars. As I sat, trying to figure the problem out, I realized, to my horror, that Twitter would have a delay of up to an hour between there and Earth.

A followup dream came to me the same night, still taking place on Mars. In this one, I was being teased by the scientist-types there, since I was sent over strictly as a worker. I don't recall exactly what was said, but I got the vibe of being reminded of my own academic failures when I was younger. Worst of all, I couldn't talk back to them because I was lower on the social totem pole than they were.

Curse you, planet Mars. Even you have betrayed me.

Does it feel lonely?

#586 | Back to Top10-03-2014 10:19:34 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Mmm...I had this super hot dream about making out with J.J. Watt last night.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#587 | Back to Top01-01-2015 09:15:25 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I dreamed that IRG's interface had been replaced with Facebook's.  It was a terrifying nightmare.  emot-gonk

#588 | Back to Top11-07-2015 11:12:55 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I dreamed I overheard a young, good-looking college guy go up to a young, good-looking college girl and try to talk to her and (I am being a total voyeur in this dream, and holding a grocery bag with a jug of Sunny D the whole time), she starts telling him she needs to find a new place to stay, but she's afraid to look at apartments on her own in case there's something risky or whatever. She's blatantly trying to get him to go with and he hems and haws and suggests other people. Finally, I go over to them, and suggest him. "He can do it." He protests, and I keep thinking, "You wanted to get in with her, she's looking for someone to pal around with, why are you stupid?" and insisting he can. Finally, I got so frustrated with him, I blurt out, "Alright. Fuck it, I'll go," and we make plans where to meet and to spend a day driving apartment to apartment.

Then, I left with my Sunny D.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#589 | Back to Top01-08-2016 10:30:54 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

I already told satyr this, but last night I dreamt he knocked up Selena Gomez and her best friend and got trapped inside of a mattress like in AHS: Hotel. When they tried to get him out I said, "Guess what? He won't even say thank you if you do because you're just a booty call to him."

Selena Gomez screamed, "I'm his WIFE! How dare you!"

Then I woke up. I think I confused satyr with my mother's playboy godson with a thing for latinas.

satyreyes wrote:

I dreamed that IRG's interface had been replaced with Facebook's.  It was a terrifying nightmare.  emot-gonk

emot-gonk NOOOOO! I WILL BE DAMNED IF WE LOSE THE POP-TART SMILEYS!

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#590 | Back to Top02-08-2016 10:42:28 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Had a shifting perspective dream last night. the setting was that news stations were reporting a large global event, something like nuclear war.

First perspective was a husband -- he worked in some tech industry, but his wife worked in the NSA. She was pregnant, they had 2 kids. She was about to leave to address whatever emergency call was breaking out. They both knew things were about to get bad. Her husband climbed into the car next to her and she started to panic. She kept telling him to leave, saying she had to go. He then said, I just want to be with you -- I don't know if i'll see you again. She tried to keep it together, but forced him out of the vehicle. The last thing I saw was her driving off and the husband feeling an intense sadness and worry.

Switched to a girl buying a wedding dress... but not a white one, just a cute dress for her small engagement wedding party. She felt the fear, but all she could focus on was making that dress fit. The feeling of determination that no matter what she'd get married even if the world flipped upside down.

Such super strong emotions from such a weird dream. I woke up feeling really sad for that husband who just wanted to hold his wife's hand in the car for a bit.

Point me to the ice cream and pillows >_<

#591 | Back to Top02-17-2016 08:32:38 AM

Astrinde
Tenjou Tilter
Website

Good grief, but this was weird: a dream that combined Utena, XCOM2, spiritual work, and family troubles.

Hordes of aliens surround the city square; I have nothing but a pistol and am quickly running out of ammunition.  All around me fall people familiar to me, many of them friends and relatives.  I realise that it's hopeless and quickly take cover.  Then I hold out my hand before me.  Light gathers around it.  My vision blurs.

And time turns back one hour; only one hour, it's all I can manage, but it's enough to empty the streets and quiet the sounds of screams.  It's enough, perhaps, to salvage one life from approaching disaster.  I run back to my home and there see my mother, who refused either to leave or to fight, who is understandably surprised to see me return alone.

"Listen to me," I tell her.  "You have to go, now.  They'll arrive sooner than we expected, and I can't protect you."

But she has never believed my "predictions" to be anything but attention-seeking, and smiling, she shakes her head.  We argue for several minutes more, until I am seized with a true vision of the future.  I take her face between my hands and force her to meet my eyes.  I can feel myself again becoming strange and distant; this time, I won't keep silent.

"In thirteen minutes these streets will erupt in gunfire.  Your entire line will perish, and you will enter captivity.  In this world where time is broken, it will seem only ten hours to you.  But when I come to free you, you will find that ten years have passed.  And when you see my face again..."  My smile is pitiless, but there will be too much destruction, too much senselessly lost, for mercy to soften my heart.  "...I want you to remember that I said this, and that it all has come to pass."

Then I woke up.  And that's what I get for watching mission footage before bedtime. emot-tongue

#592 | Back to Top02-26-2016 08:12:43 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

In my dream, I knew how to drive. I didn't have a license, but I had a car and could reasonably get around in it. I went somewhere, a political event of some sort I think. There were people selling various kinds of bread at absurdly discounted prices, probably because it wasn't very fresh or something. I ran into an old friend I haven't seen in a long time, and I told him about having a car. We went to look for it... and it got dark. The scenery didn't make sense, one minute we were walking down a street and the next we were in the yard of a house.

But then everything went to hell. I started seeing spiders, and I soon realized they were everywhere. I had stepped on one as big as my palm, there were more of them all around us, but my friend didn't notice. I struggled to call out to him, but my voice didn't work. I saw bigger spiders near him than me, but all I could do was struggle to avoid touching any more of the ones in my own path and get out at the same time, all the while straining my throat to make some sort of sound because I couldn't think to just run up and grab his arm or something... my body was also sluggish, but I could at least move. It wasn't really doing much good, however...

A moan finally escaped my lips, but that vocalization only came because I had just woken up and hadn't realized I was awake yet... I woke up after only 4 hours of sleep because of this nightmare. That seems to be a trend with my dreams, they mostly start off strange but not fearsome, then end up progressing down a path that eventually leads to something screwed up... and end soon after. It's been a while since I've had one that was outright frightening like this, maybe it was the pizza I probably didn't quite give myself time to fully digest before going to sleep...

Anyway, this happened. Now I should probably get back to sleep emot-gonk

Last edited by Chrome Homura (02-26-2016 08:15:14 AM)

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#593 | Back to Top02-29-2016 04:36:44 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

I keep having these dreams where I'm not allowed to help people.  There's two that I really recall, first one, I was in a school for some reason (same age group as work) and one kid fell apart because his parent wasn't there or something, and I was trying to comfort him, and this volunteer or office lady came up and said what I was doing was wrong and inappropriate, and she dragged him away, screaming, and... no one seemed to mind.  I tried to tell her what she was doing was horrible, to the point of screaming obscenities, but even though I was fairly sure she was full of shit, I couldn't get anyone to side with me.

Second time, some people from the forum were visiting and one (a member I had made up) was triggered by... something that happened in the dream, and went into a state of shock where he couldn't speak or do much of anything, and then it was time for everyone to go and someone (possibly my mom) was telling me not to try to speak to him or touch him, to just send him home on the plane and presumably he would end up in inpatient or something.

I don't know.  The link between these dreams seems to be a certain kind of frustrating helplessness, and while it's a sentiment I'm no stranger to, it's not one that I am aware of feeling particularly strongly right now.  And there's also the detail of being sort of always the bridesmaid, never the bride when it comes to trauma.  And, I mean, I've seen some shit.  But I do identity more as a witness than a subject to these sorts of things.  Not quite sure what that means about me.

But I've gone to the trouble of writing about because the feelings stick with me when I wake up, and even thinking about it now brings it back.  These are people who don't exist, and I'm pissed off at what happened to them.

Last edited by Kita-Ysabell (02-29-2016 07:15:54 PM)

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#594 | Back to Top03-26-2016 04:49:07 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

This morning, I dreamed that I woke up, got out of bed, got my clothes, and went to the bathroom to have a shower. Possibly the most mundane and boring dream I've ever had.

Does it feel lonely?

#595 | Back to Top06-03-2016 08:36:13 PM

deeds24
Miki Molester

Anyone have any tips for remembering dreams? Anymore it seems that I go for months on end without remembering any dreams from a night's sleep.

#596 | Back to Top06-03-2016 10:31:40 PM

maridaberri
Miki Molester

deeds24 wrote:

Anyone have any tips for remembering dreams? Anymore it seems that I go for months on end without remembering any dreams from a night's sleep.

Sometimes I write down my dreams immediately after waking up. I find I remember the most about my dreams within the first few minutes of waking up.

Last night I dreamt that I got off a train and I was looking for my father because he was supposed to pick me up from the station. He walked right past me and didn't notice so I thought it would be funny if I followed right behind him without him noticing. He was walking too fast though so we got separated. Meanwhile my friend sees me at the station and begins walking alongside of me and makes Nazi hand gestures. I scold her for this and she continues to walk beside me. We continue to follow my father until he stops at a dead end. He turns around and becomes annoyed with us

#597 | Back to Top06-06-2016 08:21:52 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

deeds24 wrote:

This is a cool tip: do not move. If you wake up from a dream normally you'll roll over, stretch, etc. and then start thinking about it, but you probably won't remember it. Instead, don't move from your position and think about it, it'll come to you quicker and sometimes you can fall asleep back into the same dream. There is an actual (scientific?) reason for this but I can not remember.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#598 | Back to Top06-06-2016 08:55:19 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I used to keep a dream journal and writing down as soon as possible did much to fix details that would otherwise be forgotten. At times I could recall a dream and was under the impression I remembered it fairly accurately only to compare it with its record and realize just how much I had forgotten.

The habit of keeping a record was fairly dull but reading back the entries, at times across the years, was extremely interesting. Recurring themes that I had never noticed became suddenly very obvious.

#599 | Back to Top06-18-2016 12:10:36 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

I had a dream that I was watching a television series that was something like a mix between what I, as someone who has never seen Preacher or read the comics, might imagine it to be like, and a review I saw of Derek Jarman's Jubilee.  Here, I shall record some of the strangeness.

So there's this town, in the American South, and the main characters (who were young people who wore Cool Clothes and listened to Cool Music because of course they did) were fleeing the town, possibly headed for California.  At first I thought this series was a prequel to the writer's other work, wherein God came to the town, but later it became clear that God had already come to the town, he was just doing a shitty job running it because he was exactly the kind of god believed in by the worst of the Evangelical Right.

I think the protagonists had a variety of reasons for leaving, but they all tied in with the main theme that genuinely caring for other people had become more or less outlawed, and while the protagonists were more inclined to follow their impulses to do so, they weren't always very good at it.  At least one of the female protagonists, the viewpoint character, tended to direct her affections towards animals as a result.  This may or may not have lead to the beginning of the series, where she was having a "friendly chat" with a neighbor couple, the husband being someone fairly high up in the town's hierarchy, where it was made clear that either she fell in line or something horrible would happen to her, (probably public execution) which was why she left.

Also she had a dog that was actually a mammoth, and someone was following the protagonists around because he wanted to eat it, and had done so in alternate timelines.  So maybe throw Many Waters and O Brother Where Art Thou into the influence stew.

So, that's the dream, or at least what I can remember of it.  I'm almost tempted to write it as a book, because it sounds like it could be really interesting, but it's too... blunt to match my style.  If someone else wanted to pick up, I would co-author, but not go it alone.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#600 | Back to Top06-18-2016 12:38:34 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Man, I wish my dreams were so interesting. But the comparisons you made were both to more visual media, which seems like it might suit the idea better—it seems very image-focused. Git yerself to HBO and pitch that shit.

Board footer