This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top11-16-2017 04:45:55 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Utena Blu-Ray Release in 2016

I legit LOVE that packaging so much. Part of me almost hopes there's nothing in that book so I don't have to cut it up, but....I guess it's good I'm getting this access to the musical content...

SINCE THEY'RE DOING ANOTHER MUSICAL.

fucking rosecon 2018 Japan guys what about it

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#77 | Back to Top11-26-2017 04:22:49 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'M NOT KIDDING I AM 100% TRYING TO GET TIME OFF WORK TO GO TO THIS THING

WHO IS WITH ME

SERIOUSLY

ROSECON 2018 TOKYO

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#78 | Back to Top11-26-2017 01:30:19 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I really would try to go but
1. I would need to buy (or use my parents money ) to buy the impossibley high ticket to Japan.
2. Cancel a trip to Poland which I didn't pay fir yet.
3. Even if 1 and 2 were completed, my parents would never let me go to Japan with some strangers who could kill me. Seriously, you guys would need to have politician level convincing to conivnce them to send a minor to a contrary where English is barely spoken to hang out with people 10 years older then me.
If by some miracle the 3 conditions were met and you guys do plan on going, I might join.

If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

#79 | Back to Top11-26-2017 05:36:33 PM

cscratch
Anthy Assailer
Website

I so so seriously considered this this week.... There were some  RT Tix  to Tokyo on sale for about $430ish US bux from out of LAX a few days ago...

But Christmas funds survival!  *Cries*

A suggestion to who may be interested - Scott's Cheap Flights free mailer has some really good deals that are mailed out as they are available.

#80 | Back to Top11-26-2017 05:52:15 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Giovanna wrote:

WHO IS WITH ME

SERIOUSLY

ROSECON 2018 TOKYO

Can't make it, but you two should totally go and see who else can join you. Just make sure you can secure tickets to the show before making any other plans.

#81 | Back to Top11-28-2017 05:28:28 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Giovanna wrote:

WHO IS WITH ME

SERIOUSLY

ROSECON 2018 TOKYO

Oh my god. When in 2018? That would be more money than I have spare, but. Oh my god. Imagining it could happen has made me tingly all over.

On a different note, the Japanese BluRay packaging is... emot-aaa I think I prefer it to what the US BluRay will be, but... subtitles, 2.0 audio and rings are subtitles, 2.0 audio and rings.

#82 | Back to Top11-28-2017 09:34:30 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

I'm definitely interested! I'm hoping to get a japan trip in next year and would love to go do the musical emot-biggrin

Edit: for clarity i usually go to japan once a year, i skipped last year -- so 2018 is definitely a must! timing will be important though...

Last edited by KissFromARose (11-28-2017 09:36:51 PM)

#83 | Back to Top12-19-2017 01:04:37 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

SO. https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/942876909217701888

This happened. The box set is delayed because the carrier lost the rose crests. Which is...strangely meta, to me. The actual discs and such are completed and at their warehouse, so this will all get done when the rings arrive. It's super disappointing, but I guess there's not much that can be done about it.

#84 | Back to Top12-19-2017 12:27:09 PM

vandownbyriver
Wakaba Wrangler

;_; rip

I'm a little annoyed they waited until today to announce this.  I know they were still hoping to find the crests in time, but surely, they knew last week that they weren't going to have them ready for the 19th.  Hopefully, they can get the materials and turn these orders around quickly.  It's still sure to come out before NGE gets a North American Blu-Ray release...

#85 | Back to Top12-19-2017 12:48:25 PM

descry77
Miki Molester

Giovanna wrote:

SO. https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/942876909217701888

This happened. The box set is delayed because the carrier lost the rose crests. Which is...strangely meta, to me. The actual discs and such are completed and at their warehouse, so this will all get done when the rings arrive. It's super disappointing, but I guess there's not much that can be done about it.

I saw this too, via their Facebook posting. This is terribly unfortunate, and highly suspicious.

The whole Utena franchise has been, well, quite a problematic child for Nozomi. From its acquisition to production to … this. Yet, Nozomi treated it like any other franchise, and that's very respectful.

Unlike things such as books and cards, the Rose Crests is one of the most expensive bonus items to produce, and each set comes with a pair (Standard and Black). Nozomi has been very generous with us Utena fans. With this happening, it's almost a guarantee that they cannot recover the cost to bring Utena over (licensing, production, logistics, marketing, etc). Not for a long while, anyway. This will affect all their other licenses and releases. This incident alone can cost the entire Nozomi workforce to lose their 2017 bonus, and their Christmas/holiday spirit.

We don't know at which point of the journey that the rings went missing. It could have been at any point, upon to leaving the manufacturing facility, to the point where it had reached US soil and was already en route to Nozomi's warehouse But the results are the same: MIA.

Honestly, I can't imagine Nozomi not insuring and tracking such precious cargo. Maybe they did, but insurance claims such this will be a nightmare experience. Regardless, I seriously doubt the courier lost the package. With such advance technology on all the global couriers, this is not making logical sense. If anything, I suspect it's an insider job. Just wait for these to appear on eBay via resellers and scalpers (Just like they do with any exclusives, but at least most scalpers use a bot to purchase the items from legitimate stores, or went to said stores and bought the items from the shelves). I don't encourage fans to purchase their Rose Crests this way, but I am sure many unsuspecting and innocent buyers will.

The only solution, as mentioned, is to remanufacture all the Rose Crests again. Double the cost. And it will easily take another three months (production, QC, logistics, etc). And its the peak holiday season with the upcoming Christmas, New Year and Chinese New Year (manufacturing facilities will be closed anywhere from two weeks up to a month as China celebrates). And in that time, customers will get irate and blame Nozomi. Maybe even cancel their orders. Sad reality.

It sucks for everyone and I'm so sorry Nozomi has to go through this. It will discourage them from putting out future bonuses. I just hope Shawne stays strong and continue to release fantastic franchises and awesome bonuses to us fans who really appreciate their efforts. If we're annoyed that we can't get this as a stocking stuffer, imagine what their customer service teams has to go through. And everyone else involved.

I shall patiently wait for my complete copy of the 20th Anniversary Utena Blu-Ray Collection, with two Rose Crests. If I've waited this long, what's another few months? Haha … patience is a virtue, or so they say.

Please support Nozomi and their releases (if you're interested in them, of course) because they have supported Utena and you.

Last edited by descry77 (12-19-2017 01:06:56 PM)

#86 | Back to Top12-19-2017 04:08:56 PM

anthy_himemiya
Miki Molester

I'm understanding, but at the same time I'm kind of sad about this mishap. I was looking forward to getting my boxset around Christmas time. I still have it on pre-order of course, but my only other thing was that I really wanted to binge-watch the series with friends and in spite of Utena being my all-time favorite series, I don't actually own any of it other than the old VHS tapes (most of which were fansubs, even) that I bought way back in the early 00's. So I'm thinking of just going ahead and buying the old DVD sets so I'll have something to show to friends... Even though, that's a lot of money, buying both the new boxset and the old ones.

#87 | Back to Top12-20-2017 06:33:33 AM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

Unrelated to the last topic, but I seem to have been presented with the opportunity to buy the english release of the blu-ray (!!!!!!!)- the only thing is, I'm in the UK and Nozomi says the discs are region locked to the US. Does anybody have any advice for how to get round such a block? Do you think it would still be worth buying?

#88 | Back to Top12-20-2017 05:30:38 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

Watch on PC with something like https://www.videohelp.com/software/Leawo-Blu-ray-Player and a Blu-Ray capable drive obviously. It's free and works well for me. OPPO still makes hardware Blu-Ray players that are region free.

#89 | Back to Top12-21-2017 09:51:55 AM

Mendou
New Student

RoseandRelease wrote:

Unrelated to the last topic, but I seem to have been presented with the opportunity to buy the english release of the blu-ray (!!!!!!!)- the only thing is, I'm in the UK and Nozomi says the discs are region locked to the US. Does anybody have any advice for how to get round such a block? Do you think it would still be worth buying?

Another option you might consider --- All The Anime / Anime Limited UK is planning to release Utena on Blu-ray in 2018:

http://blog.alltheanime.com/announcemen … 1-10-2017/

#90 | Back to Top12-26-2017 08:53:42 AM

descry77
Miki Molester

While we patiently wait for Nozomi to sort out the Utena Blu-Ray issue … and since no one has bothered to post it here yet …

http://musical-utena.com/common/images/mv.jpg

If you need to see the (currently casted) cast, ticket prices and more: http://musical-utena.com and https://twitter.com/musical_utena

PS. Open these websites using Chrome to get it automatically translated, with some funny "haha" translation errors.

#91 | Back to Top01-05-2018 01:29:37 PM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

descry77 wrote:

While we patiently wait for Nozomi to sort out the Utena Blu-Ray issue … and since no one has bothered to post it here yet …

http://musical-utena.com/common/images/mv.jpg

If you need to see the (currently casted) cast, ticket prices and more: http://musical-utena.com and https://twitter.com/musical_utena

PS. Open these websites using Chrome to get it automatically translated, with some funny "haha" translation errors.

They look absolutely beautiful! I love that the Costuming Department is trying to replicate the appearances of the anime cast as much as possible! I wonder how the others will look...

Off topic: I am continuously looking at the CDJapan and Amazon Japan websites, in the hopes of preordering the next Utena-centric issue of Monthly Flowers. I'll let you guys know when its up.

"Depression, the bereavement of the Past
Anxiety, the imminence of the Future
Contentment, the seduction of the Present
Time flows mercilessly, and I reside on the Island of Denial"

#92 | Back to Top01-08-2018 08:52:35 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I have been pulling my teeth out trying to get tickets to this, God Japan has some weird ticketing policies. And actively hostile to foreigners haha.

#93 | Back to Top01-09-2018 03:16:50 PM

MikoRanjuro
New Student

i am trying to figure out options to get Revolutionary Girl Utena 20th Anniversary Ultra Edition Complete Series Blu-ray Collection using Amazon gift cards.

did anyone here pre-order before 2017-11-27 by chance, and seeing a price of $110 already (maybe it'll show later)?

i'm wondering if it is possible to change the quantity and get a 2nd copy shipped to a separate address in Seattle (using gift function) at that same price, then i could just send egift card to cover it?

i am just having a really hard time finding definitive info on how the Amazon Pre-order Price Guarantee works in the context of modifications and lowest price between pre-order and delivery.

as you can see in the price history link, it has often been priced at $128, with a single day low of $110 on Nov 27. i know it is maybe a lot of hassle to save $18 (assuming the price will keep dropping to that level).

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Revolutiona … B073ZWT5X4

maybe i ought to wait until i'm reemployed (part of why i didn't pre-order it in November), but figured no harm in asking, to learn how this works at least.

hope that helps

(oh and maybe this thread title should be updated from 2016 > 2018 emot-tongue lolz)

Last edited by MikoRanjuro (01-10-2018 04:21:51 PM)

MikoRanjuro the Black Rose Duelist <-}-------
eternally searching for a fellow cutie boy
to become my Black Rose Bride @>---,--'-,-

#94 | Back to Top01-30-2018 03:26:51 PM

Crabe
Wakaba Wrangler

Has there been any news on the delayed special editions? I'm still waiting on mine to arrive and I haven't received any emails from rightstuf, who I ordered it from.

#95 | Back to Top01-30-2018 06:21:12 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Honestly, so far, whenever they're asked on Twitter it's basically 'We're having the rings remade and until that manufacturing process is done we really won't have any news.'

I honestly wish they'd have just shipped without, but that's me. =/

#96 | Back to Top01-30-2018 08:31:54 PM

anthy_himemiya
Miki Molester

Amazon doesn't even have the set on their site anymore emot-frown What's up with that!

#97 | Back to Top01-31-2018 12:45:05 PM

vandownbyriver
Wakaba Wrangler

http://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/958347161883828224

Apparently, it was delisted from Amazon because a new release date has not been set.  Though, by some glitch in their system, they've told people it's shipping?

Like I mentioned on Twitter, I'll honestly be happy if it ships in time for this Christmas.

#98 | Back to Top02-01-2018 09:35:28 PM

Crabe
Wakaba Wrangler

Dang. I would also do without the rings just to have the blu-ray, but I can understand if it's something they said they would ship with and they're obligated to for some reason. Either way bit of a disappointment.

#99 | Back to Top03-03-2018 09:40:51 AM

Xom
New Student

Lurker here, registering to post that Amazon just canceled my Anniversary blu-ray pre-order. I got this email six hours ago:

order-update@amazon.com wrote:

Hello,

Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

"Revolutionary Girl Utena 20th Anniversary Ultra Edition Complete Series Blu-ray Collection (Limited Edition)"

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience. We must also apologize for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion.

If you are still interested in purchasing this item, it may be available from other sellers.  Please visit the detail page for this item below:

<link to the product page that no longer exists>

I've placed another pre-order at Right Stuf Anime's website. I'm guessing that anybody else who pre-ordered from Amazon will have to do the same.

edit: @MikoRanjuro: Not that it matters any more, but I wasn't able to increase the quantity on my Amazon pre-order when I tried, which I suppose is reasonable policy.

Last edited by Xom (03-03-2018 09:48:36 AM)

#100 | Back to Top03-03-2018 05:41:32 PM

anthy_himemiya
Miki Molester

Man, I'm disappointed about the Blu-Ray release being delayed indefinitely.... I was really looking forward to this, because in spite of Utena being my favorite series of all time, I actually don't own any of the series on Blu-Ray or DVD. In fact, most of what I own are the old fansub VHS copies from way back when (that, and the original CPM VHS tapes of the Student Council saga). I was really looking forward to owning it on nice Blu-Ray. emot-frown Plus, getting to enjoy the interviews and commentaries. I guess I still have the option of just ordering the original Nozomi collections that were released a few years back, though.

Board footer