This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#2076 | Back to Top07-16-2014 03:09:29 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

Re: Current Anime

Ditto. I do not get a lot of the references in Excel Saga. Yet, it is great fun.

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#2077 | Back to Top07-16-2014 03:15:35 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

yusaku wrote:

Ditto. I do not get a lot of the references in Excel Saga. Yet, it is great fun.

A good friend of mine was enraged by Excel Saga when it first came to the US. Just furious at not getting references, not knowing if the joke was funny because it was a reference or funny because it wasjust contextually humorous.

We couldn't seem to get across to him that as long as you're laughing, it doesn't really matter why you're laughing.

To be fair, he was like seventeen or eighteen at that time. Which is the age to get ragey over feeling left out of things.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#2078 | Back to Top07-25-2014 10:15:40 PM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

Today's (or yesterday's?) episode of Argevollen was nice.

Waiting for the next Aldnoah episode.

#2079 | Back to Top07-27-2014 10:21:48 PM

jmie5
Precious One

Recently finished Rose of Versailles.  I'd say it's worth it, but having so many French language/history classes, I spent most of the series screaming at the computer and wondering why so many names sounded familiar, before the larger plots were revealed. school-chef

#2080 | Back to Top01-31-2015 06:36:59 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Ouran Host Club: Why didn't I start this sooner?! Thanks, Hulu!

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#2081 | Back to Top01-31-2015 09:00:02 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

When I rewatched Excel Saga the first time around I actually kept track of how many times Hyatt died per episode. It was great fun!

Got to love Ouran, Tamaki is love.

On the subject of current anime, the second season of Durarara makes me happy to be alive. Izaya is just...gah. I love him to bits, the intelligent, the snark, the manipulation. And it seems they made him even cuter this time around. Bonus points for his sisters, I'd been dying to see Mairu and Kurururi animated. That and Aoba.

#2082 | Back to Top02-10-2015 09:56:01 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

sailor moon emot-tongue

the new anime

and against popular belief that it's crap, I EFFING LOVE IT and all its aspects and art, and voice acting and music and the special effects

(been a long term sailor moon fan, I was so excited they decided to re do it etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love )

Last edited by Karuka (02-10-2015 09:56:54 AM)

まずここでこのオスカル・フランソワの命をたってからにされるがよい!

#2083 | Back to Top02-10-2015 12:10:18 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Karuka wrote:

sailor moon emot-tongue

the new anime

and against popular belief that it's crap, I EFFING LOVE IT and all its aspects and art, and voice acting and music and the special effects

(been a long term sailor moon fan, I was so excited they decided to re do it etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love )

It is not perfect but then the same could be said of ALL reiterations of the Sailor Moon-verse. I enjoy it very much and look forward it to every other Saturday. emot-biggrin I am psyched for the Black Moon Arc, especially Sailor Pluto's design. I always thought she looked really ugly in the original anime, the colors they for her were just too harsh and contrasting.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#2084 | Back to Top02-10-2015 02:34:36 PM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

YamPuff wrote:

Karuka wrote:

sailor moon emot-tongue

the new anime

It is not perfect but then the same could be said of ALL reiterations of the Sailor Moon-verse. I enjoy it very much and look forward it to every other Saturday. emot-biggrin I am psyched for the Black Moon Arc, especially Sailor Pluto's design. I always thought she looked really ugly in the original anime, the colors they for her were just too harsh and contrasting.

her design looks great, and her voice acting is so damn badass etc-love

#2085 | Back to Top02-11-2015 03:14:32 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I am currently watching:

SKU for the 3rd time
Princess Tutu for the 2nd time
Sailor Moon Crystal
Cute High Earth Defense Club Love
Yuri Kuma Arashi

for the past maybe two years or so I have not even touched an anime and now I have reached full saturation.

Karuka wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

Karuka wrote:

sailor moon emot-tongue

the new anime

her design looks great, and her voice acting is so damn badass etc-love

Is there a trailer out where we hear her voice? Same as original Pluto?
TO GOOGLE!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#2086 | Back to Top02-11-2015 06:24:49 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

YamPuff wrote:

Is there a trailer out where we hear her voice? Same as original Pluto?
TO GOOGLE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q-rU8s9HCY

here you go emot-smile
not the same as the original pluto

edit:
hilarious fact about the voice actress Maeda Ai who does Puu in this version is that back in 1996 she performed as CHIBUSA in an event and also did a guest in a stars episode

Last edited by Karuka (02-11-2015 06:51:29 AM)

#2087 | Back to Top02-12-2015 06:59:19 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Anyone else watching the magical boy anime? (Its name is so long and I can never remember it..)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#2088 | Back to Top02-12-2015 11:43:23 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

HonorableShadow wrote:

Anyone else watching the magical boy anime? (Its name is so long and I can never remember it..)

Quite a few, there's even a thread here dedicated to it:
http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=3862

#2089 | Back to Top02-13-2015 05:49:53 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Thanks for the link! emot-biggrin

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#2090 | Back to Top02-13-2015 11:24:03 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

YamPuff wrote:

I am currently watching:

SKU for the 3rd time
Sailor Moon Crystal
Yuri Kuma Arashi

for the past maybe two years or so I have not even touched an anime and now I have reached full saturation.

I don't blame you. The amount of magical shoujo sparkles in that list is incredible.

And so much pink. emot-rofl

I'm watching second season of Durarara! and it's pretty great so far. I think I like it more than the first because there's no need to beat around the bush with how fucking weird Ikeburo actually is. I'm watching SMC too but it's pretty much a freaking disaster so far with how rushed and contrived it is (I'm sorry dudes, gonna have to agree to disagree you the rest of you on that front).

I'm starting Stein's Gate too, and I'm holding out for it because I hear after episode 12 that shit gets white hot.

Last edited by Syora (02-13-2015 11:25:55 AM)

#2091 | Back to Top02-13-2015 01:33:16 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Glad to see someone else is following Durararara. I really love it and am the ultimate Orihara Izaya fangirl. I swear, Izaya is god-tier awesome.
Makes me really miss Ikebukuro, though. I need to go back one of these days. The anime does a wonderful job of depicting the atmosphere of the city for which I am eternally grateful. [I haven't seen the latest episode so I don't know if it's been covered yet but I really want to see Izaya's suitcasing scene. In the light novel it is one of his first appearances, in which Izaya meets some suicidal girls who answered this post he put online for prospective suicides. What follows is pure Izaya brilliance, it is creepy, chilling, beautiful and terrifying all in one as he expounds on what taking one's life really means, the afterlife and the consequences of its existence or lack thereof. And then, to top it all, he announces he has drugged them and will proceed to place them inside a suitcase that is just the right size. The manga covered the episode as well with great flair but the first season skipped it so I am really hoping I get to hear Kamiya Hiroshi's voice going on about life, death and everything in between.]

#2092 | Back to Top02-14-2015 11:40:57 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Syora wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

I am currently watching:

SKU for the 3rd time
Sailor Moon Crystal
Yuri Kuma Arashi

I don't blame you. The amount of magical shoujo sparkles in that list is incredible.

And so much pink. emot-rofl

As if that weren't enough sparkles I also starting watching Love Stage! It's like...such a strange yaoi/shonen-ai. The manga as well. It seems so generic at first and yet it's strangely funny and loveable. O_O I wouldn't necessarily recommend it but I've binge-watched 7 episodes.

Freelance work gives me too much time for watching anime like OMG I need a 9-5 job again.

#2093 | Back to Top02-20-2015 08:34:00 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

I am watching Maria The Virgin Witch, and I highly recommend it.

The MC is a young but fairly powerful witch living in rural France during the 100 years war with England. She uses her powers to disrupt the local skirmishes, using a two-pronged attack of sending her succubus out to seduce soldiers, and summoning huge mythical beasts onto the battlefield. This earns her negative attention from other witches, local mercenaries, the corrupt clergy, and certain divine beings.

I love the art style, and Maria's character design reminds me of 90's heroines like Lina Inverse. The animation is beautiful, and fight scenes show pretty impressive attention to detail regarding weapons and fighting styles. There's plenty of fanservice and lewd humor, but it's different in tone to the usual ecchi anime tropes, and I found it far more amusing than offensive. I can't wait to see where the story goes.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#2094 | Back to Top02-21-2015 11:26:43 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

So I binge watched Love Stage! which was easy as it's only 10 episodes. I tried Gravitation again but it's complete shit and I'm not that desperate for a gay fix. Yet.

I am contemplating withing Tiger x Bunny but I think perhaps I should wait to finish watching at least one of the series listed above.

#2095 | Back to Top02-24-2015 06:15:36 PM

LoveRoses
New Student
Website

I'm currently watching Dog Days Season 3 and loving it emot-smile

#2096 | Back to Top02-25-2015 03:30:16 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I'm losing interest in Sailor Moon Crystal...emot-gonk I was having so much watching it but I am just not enjoying the Black Moon Arc.

#2097 | Back to Top03-11-2015 03:24:34 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Binge-watching No.6, will probably be done with it in another hour or two. It's quite enjoyable, however there isn't nearly enough at stake and as a dystopia it's simply not gritty or terrifying enough. You never really get the feeling anything properly bad is going to ever happen. And you don't have that sense of crushing, hopeless despair ala Ai no Kusabi, or 1984. It's kind of a shame because with some pretty minor tweaking it could have been really, really good. On the bright side the main couple have a lot of chemistry going on. school-devil

EDIT: [The fuuuuuuuuuuck you can't tease a tragic ending and then bring everyone back to life with the power of friggin love! D: FUCK YOU. I knew it. All main characters live, no sacrifices, nice, neat and easy. All this series made me wanna do is watch Ai no Kusabi again. ]

Now watching Toward the Terra, as recommended. There is something about oldschool style anime drawn with modern animation quality that is like HOT DAMN. My eyes orgasm.

Also: http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/planetarium_zpso7hyugnv.jpg~original

GET AWAY GET AWAY RED ALERT PLANETARIUMS ARE NEVER A GOO SIGN D:

Last edited by YamPuff (03-12-2015 01:51:44 PM)

#2098 | Back to Top03-16-2015 09:16:51 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I'm glad you're enjoying Terra. I should rewatch it one of these days. [I still get teared up when I think about Shiroe...and poor, poor Matsuka.].

About No.6, as so often happens the manga is much better than the anime. I've only read a bit of it but I got a much darker impression of the world in which the story takes place. And I was glad that for once the subtext is actually more than just that but actual canon. And it's very, very refreshing to see a gay couple in manga/anime in which one of them is not a blubbering mess. It goes much deeper than the usual seme/uke dynamics for which I was exceedingly grateful.
So yes, if you have a chance consider giving the manga the go. I haven't checked out the novels yet but should probably get to them.

I've been on a Saint Seiya binge. I know a lot of fans do not even consider Lost Canvas to be canon but I'm really enjoying it. The whole 'fall into darkness' angle was handled beautifully, the main evil character is very much the villain but in much more nuanced way than in the original Hades chapter. It works so well because unlike the original mere possession in LC there is an actual seduction over 'the dark side' and surprisingly enough it does not revolve around gaining power either. [Or if so only indirectly. Alone truly is a pure hearted boy who is lured into becoming Hades precisely because he cannot bear the suffering of others. From there to 'granting the quiet solace of death' to everyone is logical step once he goes over the moral despair horizon].
It also retains much of the old aesthetics of the original series and cuts out a lot of its cheesiness.

#2099 | Back to Top04-03-2015 05:10:52 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Finally getting around to actually committing to Walkure Romanze and I know, ero game and all, but unlike, say, Najica Panty Tactics, it really would be better if they'd stick to erotic puns and sexy situations and stopped taking up the screen with pantyshots. Or, just had a better/more exciting sense of mise en scene. I'm such a sucker for dirty games adapted into heart-rending romance anime and manga, though. Like stretching out the The Plumber is Here To Clean Your Pipes bit out into a full television show, because you can't do the naughtier bits for broadcast. It's cute.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#2100 | Back to Top04-11-2015 07:33:31 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

purplepolecat wrote:

I am watching Maria The Virgin Witch, and I highly recommend it.

The MC is a young but fairly powerful witch living in rural France during the 100 years war with England. She uses her powers to disrupt the local skirmishes, using a two-pronged attack of sending her succubus out to seduce soldiers, and summoning huge mythical beasts onto the battlefield. This earns her negative attention from other witches, local mercenaries, the corrupt clergy, and certain divine beings.

I love the art style, and Maria's character design reminds me of 90's heroines like Lina Inverse. The animation is beautiful, and fight scenes show pretty impressive attention to detail regarding weapons and fighting styles. There's plenty of fanservice and lewd humor, but it's different in tone to the usual ecchi anime tropes, and I found it far more amusing than offensive. I can't wait to see where the story goes.

I enjoyed this one much more than I expected. [I was still a bit disappointed with the ending, though. It was something of an anti-climax, after escaping from the Inquisition, saving Joseph in the midst of a battle without the use of magic and fighting an archangel along with the other angels, retiring to live as a normal person feels like a downer even if it makes sense within the narrative. But the actual 'and they lived happily ever after' finale took away some of the realistic tone of the series. It felt as if they were too afraid to carry out their premise of linking virginity to power and in the end did not even kill a single named character.]

And now that Gintama is airing again I feel that my life is complete. That first episode had me giggling like an idiot and judging from the OP there will be Kamui and Takasugi to look forward to.

Board footer