This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-28-2012 10:47:57 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

SOMEONE in the rose garden has to like plants.

Like, aside from me. Who lives in a horrible wasteland. Most my lawn died last summer, due to being the hottest summer in recorded American history. (MY POOR LAWN. Wait, it's ALREADY illegal to water my grass again!?)

I have a small, sad veggie garden, and a larger flowery one. I have tomatoes that hate me, tomatillos that also hate me, kohlrabi cabage and arugula that insects love, malabar spinach that ISN'T spinach, strawberries that are just plain strange, a squash of mystery that came from the sky, watermelons that my dog won't stop peeing on, and peppers and herbs that love me.

For my flowers, I have petunias, lilies, tons of salvia, shrimp plants, petunias and tobacco- which I'm convinced are the same thing, datura, hydrangeas that don't like me, columbine, others I can't remember atm and the almighty batface plant. Most of them I got free or cheap and alot are xeriscape. (every night, I say prayers in many languages to appease the non xeriscape gods.) The theme of my garden is HELL YEAH PLANTS. If it grows, doesn't smell like hell, won't destroy all I love (and is cheap), I want it. No pics at cause I have none on me, and its the middle of the night.

But I did bring a tutorial someone made me write them for a compost bin, so you guys can make delicious plant nutrients in your yard.

http://tabgha.tumblr.com/post/239138270 … t-and-most

#2 | Back to Top05-28-2012 11:57:42 PM

Brea_the_Brave
Saionji Slapper

Re: SOMEONE in the rose garden has to like plants.

allegoriest wrote:

Most my lawn died last summer, due to being the hottest summer in recorded American history. (MY POOR LAWN. Wait, it's ALREADY illegal to water my grass again!?)

This has been a problem for me as well. I have a few hydrangea bushes but I focus most of my attention and energy on my herbs. I keep them in planters with wheels so they won't die while still getting the sun exposure they need. My kitchen smells amazing every afternoon when I roll them inside. I love going to my planters for fresh herbs instead of over paying for them at a store.

#3 | Back to Top05-29-2012 03:47:56 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

I like plants... So far I have a beefsteak tomato plant, lavender, oregano and lemon-thyme. I have my own vermicompost bin, the the compost you get from it is top-notch. Plus it means I get to take care of a bin full of worms, and they are oddly endearing. They're just so chill and peaceful, and they are so good for reducing waste.

This week I am making a pallet garden. They're quite pretty and are a compact way to make a garden if you're limited with space. I live in a condo, so all my outdoor space is limited to a  balcony. You can find a really great tutorial on how to make one here. So far for seeds, I have bell peppers, chives, and some other flowering seed packets I can't even remember. I know it's a bit late into the season, but Edmonton summer usually lasts till September, so... (well, if you're lucky).

#4 | Back to Top06-01-2012 02:22:38 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Brea_the_Brave wrote:

allegoriest wrote:

Most my lawn died last summer, due to being the hottest summer in recorded American history. (MY POOR LAWN. Wait, it's ALREADY illegal to water my grass again!?)

This has been a problem for me as well. I have a few hydrangea bushes but I focus most of my attention and energy on my herbs. I keep them in planters with wheels so they won't die while still getting the sun exposure they need. My kitchen smells amazing every afternoon when I roll them inside. I love going to my planters for fresh herbs instead of over paying for them at a store.

My hydrangeas are are just like, nope, not growing, go away. Some are doing well but yellowing, but the rest are mostly, nah, I'm gonna be a few tiny leaves this year. Sucks for you~ Herbs hate inside my house. They end up staying outside all the time while I water them religiously. (My plants' dirt seriously dries up at least once a day.)

Ooh, I kinda wanna do that. I dunno where I'd prop it up though. I have a pretty big lawn, but its really hot and shady. There's a place near my house that has these handing thick cloth pockets you can put plants in. I kinda want one but I'm soooo cheap. I have several tomatoes atm, and they've been doing neething all year. My main compost problem is everything drying out. I'm constantly watering it. ;__; I've tried to have a worm farm, since my salamander would love the wormies, but I'm very very good at killing them. D:

Meanwhile for me, my tobacco is perpetually dying then living then dying then living. It happens every other day. I'm getting sick of your shenanigans, tobacco. emot-mad

I'm also trying to find info on datura, and I keep finding ways to use it as a drug. ...This is why people keep dying from it. emot-gonk

#5 | Back to Top06-01-2012 04:11:06 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm growing deadly things as well!

Have a thai chili, habenero (scotch bonnet, actually), and bhut jolokia (hottest in the world) growing. We also have baby Viva Italia and Tiny Tim tomatoes. They were two dollars each at my hospital, made by patients during recreation therapy. :3

My peppers are flowering but not fruiting, I'm still trying to figure out why. emot-mad

allegoriest, my understanding is that with tomatoes, it's about the nitrogen balance in the soil, so it depends a lot on the fertilizer you use.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top06-01-2012 11:28:16 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Hmm... You know, now that I think about it, my habaneros haven't been making peppers either. emot-confused
There's always the, maybe they're not pollinating right, or maybe they're not strong enough. All my other peppers have been making babies, but not that one. (Or my chilipequins, but, it kinda had some horrible accidents, so I don't blame it.)

Hmm, maybe need to look into other fertilizers. My tomatoes haven't been blooming, but it HAS been a while since I last fed them. *so irresponsible*

If I see my gardening beloved this weekend, I need to ask about habaneros.

#7 | Back to Top06-02-2012 12:44:20 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

I would actually really like a pepper plant. Like a black pepper plant. I wonder if we can grow them here...

#8 | Back to Top06-03-2012 09:50:36 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Right now I am after lithops, the butt cactus. (Well, they're technically not a cactus, but they look like butts.)

I didn't see my gardening beloved, too sicklies. ;__;

But I started dividing some of my other cactus-y things. Some weird aloe type things and sempervivums. Hopefully the babies will live on their own and make more delicious cactus-y thingies.

#9 | Back to Top06-03-2012 10:39:19 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Syora wrote:

I would actually really like a pepper plant. Like a black pepper plant. I wonder if we can grow them here...

I'm pretty sure it's too tropical to keep up here. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#10 | Back to Top06-03-2012 11:28:22 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Aww. At least you can probably glow plenty of things I can't~ ;__;

I live in south Texas, so everything wants to die all the time. My yard is soooo shady cause if it wasn't, we'd all burn and melt. And alot of my plants don't like the shade. At least, my sweet potatoes are doing well. And my baby morning glories are starting to make vines~

#11 | Back to Top06-03-2012 11:32:27 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

My little herb garden died in our last apartment, but in my next, I do plan on copious amounts of marigolds and lemongrass, since they're both supposed to be natural mosquito repellants. Are there any others that anyone knows offhand?

Allegoriest, we had the exact opposite problem, waaaaaay too much sun in our old apartment. The porch was like the sahara, nothing but scorched earth. :/

Last edited by MissMocha (06-03-2012 11:33:10 PM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#12 | Back to Top06-05-2012 10:25:03 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Giovanna wrote:

Syora wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's too tropical to keep up here. emot-frown

Blast.

MissMocha wrote:

Are there any others that anyone knows offhand?

Try oregano. It's supposed to repel most bugs as well as be a good companion plant to the majority of other herbs.

#13 | Back to Top06-10-2012 03:44:08 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I've heard geraniums are supposed to keep mosquitos away. And citronella, which I'm pretty sure is just an altered geranium. I've also heard basil. However, I still get bit all the damn time, I dunno if they're actually helping out there.

I dragged my sick self to the nursery and managed to find my BUTTCACTUS. (Which are lithops. But, BUTTCACTUS) While I was looking over them, two people walked up all, omg, wtf are these? touch it! what did it feel like? they're like... butt cactus! Then saw me holding several and were looking at me all, wtf weirdo.

I also got a ghost chili. Grow, my ghost chili! Bring me sorrow!!

Board footer