This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-15-2011 01:48:16 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Does Kanae really love Akio?

We all know that she gets upset with him when he neglects her, but is it because she loves him or because he's neglecting his duty? It has occurred to me that she might see him as more of a guardian than a husband.

I'm not saying that she doesn't like  him. Akio is very handsome and the first time we see both of them on screen is when they are kissing. Nevertherless, during her Black Rose Saga episode she primarily comments on his maturity and how well he takes care of her in Mikage's elevator. This is something a daughter would say about her father. Infatuation? Possibly. Love? I doubt it. Your thoughts?

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#2 | Back to Top10-16-2011 11:17:32 AM

Louchan
Rose Bride

Re: Does Kanae really love Akio?

Hm, I haven't really thought about it before, but I do believe she's in love with him, even though her feelings always reminded me of something similar to that of a crush. She's naive, says that she wants to do anything for Akio, and feels upset when he doesn't spend much time with her.

As for the "takes care of me" thing, I honestly think that's due to the Japanese view on love and marriage. In today's Japan it's still very common for a husband to have the role of "taking care" of his wife. Tokiko said a similar thing when Akio asked her if she was living a normal life. "Yes, my husband is a kind man, he provides well for me." was her answer.

#3 | Back to Top10-16-2011 04:18:58 PM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

When you talk about love in Utena, you either have to be very specific and assume something pure or using a very wide blanket and include everything.

None of the black rose duelists really love anyone.  Their actions are all spurred by a form of love, but the fact that this love is so corruptible proves that it isn't really genuine in the way people have come to consider love.  Does Kanae love Akio?  Perhaps.  In the same way that Shiori loves Juri or Kozue loves Miki or Wakaba loves the idea of Saionji, but then I'm not sure if that's what you mean by love.

#4 | Back to Top06-30-2012 08:21:34 PM

20mensou
Wakaba Wrangler

KaleMarsh wrote:

When you talk about love in Utena, you either have to be very specific and assume something pure or using a very wide blanket and include everything.

None of the black rose duelists really love anyone.  Their actions are all spurred by a form of love, but the fact that this love is so corruptible proves that it isn't really genuine in the way people have come to consider love.  Does Kanae love Akio?  Perhaps.  In the same way that Shiori loves Juri or Kozue loves Miki or Wakaba loves the idea of Saionji, but then I'm not sure if that's what you mean by love.

I agree with this in the sense that I believe that Kanae loved the idea of Akio, rather than Akio for himself. I think she loved the image that he presented of a kind, debonair, intelligent individual who was going to make sure she had a comfortable life and home. To overstate the obvious, he was her image of a prince, and she loved that.

#5 | Back to Top06-30-2012 09:01:42 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Nobody loves the "real" Akio in the series; not even the Rose Bride, whose loyalty lied with her idealized image of Dios before the Fall.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Board footer