This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#301 | Back to Top06-30-2007 09:08:07 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Re: Interpreting Symbolism in SKU

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Also, am I the only one that finds it interesting that Kanae's black rose episode is the only one that shows Mamiya stabbing her with a black rose, and that Mamiya is really Anthy, whom Kanae rants about in the elevator? They probably didn't show that with the other black rose duelists to save time, but Mamiya's expression just amuses me.. since it is Anthy. emot-keke If only Kanae knew.

I've been thinking about this lately. After all, it's not like SKU is a series which worries about wasting time with repetitive scenes. Kanae gets stabbed by the rose "because" she doesn't have a soul sword pulling scene. But is it really safe to assume that the other black rose duellists do have the rose stabbed into their hearts? Mikage says that he froze Kanae's heart, and this is presumably what makes her into a duellist. All the others get their duellist abilities from the soul swords that they wield. And even though the black rose being scattered causes every duellist to collapse, it also makes the soul sword vanish.

So, do the other black rose duellists really get stabbed? It's odd that such a scene would be left out. Especially, say, when it would happen to Wakaba.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#302 | Back to Top07-01-2007 06:33:34 PM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Coco, that's a lot of analyis! O.O Ahh, I love them! etc-love There's so much to read and comment to, though.. I'll try to finish soon and see if I can summon any thoughts to post. But you've said everything so beautifully that I doubt I'll have anything to comment with.

Oh don't count on it. I've already thought of an entire counter arguement to the top chunk of my first poor atmept at an anaysis. Once it orders itself into comprehensible words, I plan to post it in another thread emot-keke but thanks very much etc-love

That was amazing Razara. I loved the glasses anaylsis, and everything else, you really went deep, even right to Kanaes resentment of both Akio and Anthy.

I love Kanae, yet I usually feel a little embarrassed to admit that. I’ve seen some minor Kanae bashing on the forum, and the majority belief seems to be that she exists for no real reason other than to start the Black Rose Saga off.

I haven't noticed much, though I'm still new I guess. I've seen mostly, "wow, boi does she get screwed......or not, as the case may be" O.o

Lemme just second what SleepDebtFairy said:

I didn't really notice any Kanae-bashing, but a lot of.. pitying, I guess. More like "Oh, that poor girl just doesn't get any." Which is.. sadly true.)

Yep there we go.

Its soooo coincidental that this anaysis has been done now, Kanae has been invading my mind a lot lately, I read "pawn" and the author said something about a Kozue Kanae fic which I thought would be nice since I enjoyed "pawn", plus, Kanae and Kozue?? Is that alliteration thats meant to be or what? And I even looked up the thread here about her: http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=326

Something someone said there really haunted me, I don't remember who it was, but somebody mentioned that Kanae could be a car, fricking car! OMG that so rules! All hail imginative anaylsis!

Wakaba says that his having a fiancé doesn’t matter when love is involved, but how would she feel if her fiancé was sleeping with someone else? (Yes, I know that getting all upset because Akio isn’t being loyal to Kanae is perhaps one of the stupidest things in the world. Sue me.)

Considering this is someone who flips when Saionji askes how Anthy is, I myself doubt that Wakaba would enjoy being in Kanae's shoes.

If Akio had married her, can’t you just picture her nagging him about his behavior all the time? “Cut your hair. Who was that girl you were talking to? Why don’t we talk anymore…? Or ever?” Wait, I’m supposed to be defending her. Oh, well, it’s true.

Am I the only one that can see Kanae turning into one of those hardened house wives after this. Nagging, cantakorous, bitchy and bossy. After that display I can imagine that Akio wouldn't know what hit him. He'd have to throw he's cell phone away becuse of all the calls he'd be getting. She'd probably end up bitter and hit the bottle too.

*swig.....gulp*

*knock knock*

"whos that now, it better be that bastard"

*blink*

*tipsy* "who are you? Another one of my husbands hussies?"

*confused* "Uh....n-no....I'm from the girl scouts. Do you wanna buy a cookie??"

/SLAM/

but I would hate to accuse him of something that Movie-Akio would do

Why does no one like moive Akio. Is there really much difference? emot-confused Dammit I have to watch this movie.

Everytime I see the scene with the apple now, I get embarassed for thinking that it was an error and that Akio had three arms. Looking back, I don't see how on earth I missed that it was Anthy.

Same here

Oh, quick note, I posted this 2 pages back:

Sorry I just had to point this out. But in Razara's analysis of the Juri/Shiori/Ruka eps, I instantly noticed in the pictures she posted that in one shot the curtains are blue, and in the other shot they are orange. Would someone have a go at deciphering what that might mean in the context of the scenes please?

After watching the embers music video. I instantly that perhaps when Shiori is on the phone and we see blue curtains, shes phoning Ruka. The next time when we see orange curtains, shes phoning Juri, and when she doesn't get through she finds her and trails in her shadown.

Since I'm on colours. Remember when I said Kanae's been on my mind for some reason. When I first saw her I was like, whoooo pretty! Look, colours! Hey its Juri's and Nanami's colours! Thinking later my thoughts developed into, look, its Juri's and Nanami's colours. Nanami who desperately wants the attention of her brother and Juri who is mistreated by the one she loves.

#303 | Back to Top07-01-2007 07:19:05 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Do all of the Black Rose duellists gets stabbed by Mamiya? We only see it happen to Kanae.

The malice on Mamiya's face is clearly Anthy's malice; clearly she is ferociously jealous, and, at least for the time being, is much like Kozue. Is she jealous only because she is involved with Akio, or is it perhaps because Kanae is a Princess?

Does Kanae remind her of what she cannot be or of what she once was?

Last edited by brian (07-01-2007 07:21:25 PM)

#304 | Back to Top07-01-2007 11:52:55 PM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

Coco Melancholy wrote:

Why does no one like movie Akio. Is there really much difference? emot-confused Dammit I have to watch this movie.

Yes. He is very different. An example (which does not require spoilers) is when he rolls across the hood of his car... twice. It makes Baby Jesus cry.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i30/alexielnet/utenaicons/Cap193.jpg

<edited to remove a comma and fix a verb>

Last edited by alexielnet (07-01-2007 11:59:28 PM)

#305 | Back to Top07-02-2007 01:55:37 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

I've been thinking about this lately. After all, it's not like SKU is a series which worries about wasting time with repetitive scenes. Kanae gets stabbed by the rose "because" she doesn't have a soul sword pulling scene. But is it really safe to assume that the other black rose duellists do have the rose stabbed into their hearts? Mikage says that he froze Kanae's heart, and this is presumably what makes her into a duellist. All the others get their duellist abilities from the soul swords that they wield. And even though the black rose being scattered causes every duellist to collapse, it also makes the soul sword vanish.

So, do the other black rose duellists really get stabbed? It's odd that such a scene would be left out. Especially, say, when it would happen to Wakaba.

That is true.. the other black rose duelists get the scenes where they pull the swords out of their respective obsessions, instead of the Mamiya rose-stabbing scene. And I think the rose-stabbing scene is especially apt for Kanae, not just because she's the first black rose duelist and thus acts as an introduction to the whole thing, but also because Mamiya is Anthy.. It's just so creepy when you realize it later on.

Thinking about it, though, I don't think the others get stabbed. It seems like they go straight to who they are taking the swords from.

brian wrote:

Do all of the Black Rose duellists gets stabbed by Mamiya? We only see it happen to Kanae.

The malice on Mamiya's face is clearly Anthy's malice; clearly she is ferociously jealous, and, at least for the time being, is much like Kozue. Is she jealous only because she is involved with Akio, or is it perhaps because Kanae is a Princess?

Does Kanae remind her of what she cannot be or of what she once was?

I love the malice in Mamiya's face. It's really sadistic and creepy. And I definitely think Anthy is very, very possessive of Akio, thus the cold shoulder to Kanae. The princess thing might help, too.. emot-frown

alexielnet, thank you for the screencap. etc-love I was looking for one of movie!Akio mid-slide/jump/whatever on the car. I want to icon it or something just because it's so ridiculously funny.

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (07-02-2007 01:56:36 AM)

#306 | Back to Top07-02-2007 02:31:19 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

alexielnet wrote:

...bad, bad things...

Baby Jesus isn't the only one crying... emot-gonk

I bet most of us wouldn't mind the character if he didn't have the name he has. I actually didn't mind movie Akio much, until I watched the series and gradually got used to that version. Because hey! Who would pick a prick over a sexy beast? (:

#307 | Back to Top07-02-2007 02:40:02 AM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

I knew I was going to be injuring some souls when I posted that picture, but what can you do? The horror cannot be explained. It can only be seen, then shuddered at, then, if you are lucky, repressed. He could have been Christian Freaking Bale, but once he did that little leap over the car, it was over for me. I was never, ever going to be able to look at him again as anything but LAME. (Thank The Doctor that it wasn't Christian Bale because looking at him is one of the things that makes life worth the trouble.)

#308 | Back to Top07-02-2007 04:12:50 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Wow emot-aaa that traumatizing hur??

I always assumed that everyone got stabbed with the black rose simpy because it looked like the finishing touch needed to freeze them into their primal mindset. Not everybody's whole scenes are shown and sometimes they do skip the odd sequence in the elevator descent.

Though thinking about Ragnarok's question last night and coming back in the morning to find all these posts I think the explanation that it was done only to Kanae makes sense. You don't see Kanae again after her elevator scene until the duel. Because of that its safe to assume she's still wearing the black rose until her duel whereas everyone else attains their soul sword instead.

Though where did Kanae get her sword?? She's wearing Akio's colours, but I mean, would Akio give her sword, what fighting style is she using, man I need to watch that episode again.

Edit: Oh yea, quick question. Does Anthy know she was Mamiya?

Last edited by Coco Melancholy (07-02-2007 04:14:24 AM)

#309 | Back to Top07-03-2007 10:54:08 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

**Back then, I didn’t know anything about symbolism, but the glasses immediately struck me as something with a deeper meaning, but I never knew what.**

Maybe glasses stand for perception or invisible wall between her and others. Maybe near Akio she's unarmed? Or, she don't want to see Akio during Saturday night. She smiles not at him, but through him.

*Feeding Kanae*
(I see that Anthy gives her a fruit, but she's in arms of Chairman, so it could be right)

She's just like Eva, don't you think? Akio (Devil) tempt First Woman to eat forbidden fruit, apple. He's feeds her, he's great superior who was merciful to fussy girl (she looks so miserable and...young). She looks so young as if she could be Akio's daughter, wait, he is in her father's place, so that's it!
"You shouldn't have bitten a hand which feeds you, silly girl."

*Apple full of forks* (I'm not sure this part) looks like voodoo doll for me, or it's tormented Anthy.

I don't think that she loves Akio, she's just a princess waiting for savior, and he came to "win her hand and half of kingdom". It's really sick situation, where Kanae is surrounded by aliens and her life is full of calculation.

#310 | Back to Top07-06-2007 08:19:09 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Re: The apple

The apple is red, like the dress the Rose Bride wears and is impaled with the many forks of human hatred. ;)

There is a piece missing, just like there is a piece missing from Anthy, the "doll with no heart." 

I like the idea that the apple is relating Kanae to Anthy and whether or not she ate that piece willingly would be telling.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#311 | Back to Top07-06-2007 09:00:39 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

rhyaniwyn wrote:

There is a piece missing, just like there is a piece missing from Anthy, the "doll with no heart."

I didn't thought about this one, and now I believe it is an accurate interpretation. Another question missing answer would be if it has any meaning that, following rhyaniwyn, Kanae is eating (or not?) Anthy's heart. It might sound a little macabre, but who knows, in symbolism and SKU almost anything is possible. Of course, even symbolism has an end, so probably this whole "eating hearts" is already beyond it.

On the other hand, that would be quite far from Razara's analysis.

[Still: Is Kanae the princess that Anthy wanted to be? That could be a good point to start. I should think about it, and look for more essays emot-tongue]

#312 | Back to Top07-07-2007 03:19:04 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Random, but.. you know, I find it interesting that Shiori and Kozue are the only black rose duelists that re-appear in the next duels as rose brides. I don't know if it means anything, though.. except that they're important characters, especially to Juri and Miki.

#313 | Back to Top07-07-2007 04:01:52 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Well, look at who the other Black Rose Duelists were in relation to the person they pulled the swords from.

Shiori is Juri's great unrequited love, essentially the reason Juri's even a Duelist to begin with.
Kozue is, in my eyes, Miki's other half. That's why he's had trouble playing "The Sunny Garden" since that infamous day.

Those are obvious.

Keiko, however, is just some random girl to Touga. He couldn't give a damn about her.
Wakaba, I think, is only slightly more important to Saionji than Keiko is to Touga.*

Both of them, are the "ordinary girls" of the show. Their existence is only defined by the important person that's next to them.

Then there's Tsuwabuki. I understand his motivation, but I never really felt like Nanami should have been a Duelist. She would have made a hell of a Black Rose Duelist for Touga, too, if Saionji didn't do it.

* I think that Mikage gets Saionji back into school so that he can be the Black Rose Duelist for Touga, which would have made a hell of a lot more sense, but it didn't work out that way. **

** Now I wonder what Saionji would be like in the Elevator of Doom.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#314 | Back to Top07-07-2007 04:54:59 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

** Now I wonder what Saionji would be like in the Elevator of Doom.

Wow... Never thought of it that way. After all, Saionji DOES have a stronger hold on Touga than Keiko, Nanami, and Utena. Well, Nanami and Saionji, they're debatable. But, Nanami simply loves/adores her brother, so she couldn't have been turned into BRDuelist since that would require twisting of her heart into something dark and disturbing.

But, I don't think it has crossed Mikage's mind to make a Student Council member a BRDuelist. The Seitokai strikes me as the roses that bloom under the sun. And as far as I know, most characters in Utena generally represent one idea/issue/persona, so it's hard for me to imagine Saionji serving as both the duelist of light AND shadow.

Last edited by Hiraku (07-07-2007 04:56:31 PM)

#315 | Back to Top07-08-2007 06:50:12 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

emot-mad emot-mad emot-mad

THERE ARE ITALIAN FORUM MEMBERS.

HOW COME NONE OF THEM HAVE NOTIFIED US THAT 'BARA' IN ITALIAN MEANS 'COFFIN'.

Edit: AND 'BARARE' IS TO CHEAT, WHICH MEANS 'BARA' IS 'HE/SHE/IT CHEATS'.

emot-aaa

Last edited by Giovanna (07-08-2007 07:01:57 PM)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#316 | Back to Top07-08-2007 11:51:27 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Giovanna wrote:

THERE ARE ITALIAN FORUM MEMBERS.

HOW COME NONE OF THEM HAVE NOTIFIED US THAT 'BARA' IN ITALIAN MEANS 'COFFIN'.

Edit: AND 'BARARE' IS TO CHEAT, WHICH MEANS 'BARA' IS 'HE/SHE/IT CHEATS'.

emot-aaa

Holy shit! I don't know if Ikuni thought of things up to THAT kind of level, but that certainly puts the whole Anthy/Coffin/Backstab into one piece there!! emot-aaa

Did you find out about that just today, Gios?

#317 | Back to Top07-09-2007 12:21:19 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Its amazing how many meta-level SKU has, way more than even Ikuni would be consciously realised.

#318 | Back to Top07-09-2007 07:18:19 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Something that got my curiosity lately...

In the last Seitokai duels, I found that Ruka and Touga seemed to be the only Rose Brides who didn't get crashed by cars along with their duelists (Juri and Nanami). Actually, when Shiori was the Rose Bride, she was the only one that crashed, not Ruka.

Why don't they have to suffer the way Saionji, Miki, Kozue, and Shiori did?

Yeah, I know, Touga got crashed at his final duel against Utena, but I think that might have something to do with the fact that Saionji was there with him...

#319 | Back to Top07-09-2007 08:18:16 PM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

Hiraku wrote:

Something that got my curiosity lately...

In the last Seitokai duels, I found that Ruka and Touga seemed to be the only Rose Brides who didn't get crashed by cars along with their duelists (Juri and Nanami). Actually, when Shiori was the Rose Bride, she was the only one that crashed, not Ruka.

Why don't they have to suffer the way Saionji, Miki, Kozue, and Shiori did?

Yeah, I know, Touga got crashed at his final duel against Utena, but I think that might have something to do with the fact that Saionji was there with him...

Personally, I'd chalk that one up to the amount of control that both Touga and Ruka show over the rules of the game.

When Touga becomes Nanami's Rose Bride, it's because he's been playing her right into this situation, and knows precisely what's going to happen. The same can be said for Ruka when he becomes Juri's Bride. In both situations, they are aware of the rules of the game and are working towards an end moreso than the duelists themselves, who are pretty much puppets (strong hints of the relationship between Utena and Anthy anyone?). So they don't 'lose control' and thus have no reason to be involved in such a wreck.

Looking at Touga's final duel, it could be said that by that point he had kind of abandoned his plans, he was desperate by the end just to win Utena over. And his failure crushed him enough that he couldn't keep in control like he had up to that point. So he crashed.
Damnit, now I want to watch the Apocalypse arc again and study how the crashes occur.

#320 | Back to Top07-11-2007 02:56:48 PM

Pandora
Pathtracer

Just something I noticed when I was rewatching the movie-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Kayru/princessdressanthy.png

Anthy, in the flashback scene, is dressed in the princess dress Utena wears during the 'story setup' bit of the series. You know, the bit where it talks about her wanting to be a prince. Is it just a generic dress for princesses in the series, you think, or is it maybe tying in with what Anthy said about being 'drawn to Utena because they both killed their princes'?

I'm not so hot on the symbolism, but I did think this was worth note.

#321 | Back to Top07-12-2007 11:19:39 AM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

Hm, that could very well be true.  I've always viewed the movie's cast as a collection of the "dead" aspects of the series' characters, the casualties of Utena's revolution.  Escaping to "the outside world" was the difference between letting those aspects lay dormant or effectively shedding them through the act of emotional maturity.  The Prince-Killing Anthy, our quintessential witch, in escaping to the outside world is finally able to shed that stigma and live for herself.

Something I just noticed that's not so much symbolism but interesting regardless:

(Image Removed)

From episode 5, in which Touga reiterates his prodding of Miki.  Does the scenery look familiar?

(Image Removed)
Hmm.

When you juxtapose it that way, Touga's episode five scene in the bedroom seems almost like a rehearsal with Akio for how to get Miki where they want him.

Last edited by Giovanna (07-15-2011 12:02:49 PM)

#322 | Back to Top07-12-2007 09:36:40 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Pandora wrote:

Anthy, in the flashback scene, is dressed in the princess dress Utena wears during the 'story setup' bit of the series. You know, the bit where it talks about her wanting to be a prince. Is it just a generic dress for princesses in the series, you think, or is it maybe tying in with what Anthy said about being 'drawn to Utena because they both killed their princes'?

Probably both, and perhaps also another indicator of their essential one-ness or duality.

I wonder about those grapes. They are not there by accident. Grapes of Wrath? Harvest sacrifice? Drunkenness? Dionysius? Royal purple?

#323 | Back to Top07-12-2007 09:53:11 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

At first glance, I'd say royal purple for the grapes there, but I think it'd also go with Dionysius because this reminds me of what Anthy said in the movie, "Calm down. Onii-sama is my prince, so you can do whatever you want." Supposedly, being a prince in a fairytale means you can do all sorts of shit and still be justified for your actions. But, of course, Akio's a person of the real world, and real world wouldn't condone incestuous rape. Anthy is living in her own fairy tale, so she's unaware of the consequence of the sorts of things she'd allow her "prince" to do.

(Let's not forget that Anthy in the movie also sleeps with anyone who becomes the champion of the duels)

Let's see... the image of Touga and Akio...When I first saw that in episode 5, I got the idea that Miki slept with him, especially when Touga gave that comment about Kozue being pretty and agreeable just like Miki.

This scene, I think, was something off of Miki's memory, so unless he's slept with him, I doubt he would have the memory of the bed. But, then, we also realized that he's somewhat highly "imaginative" with the way he romanticized the scene where he played piano with Kozue. So, maybe that scene in his head was a romanticized version of Touga leaning against the piano at the time.

But if my former interpretation proves valid, and to go with the idea that Akio just so happens to be behind Touga (I doubt it, since Miki doesn't know Akio at that point)... Nah, it wouldn't make sense.

#324 | Back to Top07-13-2007 02:09:01 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

The way Touga is sitting in the second image with Akio is very, very closed off, especially for him. emot-aaa

I recall initially thinking the scene with Touga suggested Miki had slept with him, but now I think that it's just an imagined sexual idealization of Touga, who quite enthusiastically encourages that sort of thing. He knows Touga's banging Kozue, and there seems to me almost an envy about how Miki's seeing him as this freely sexual creature he's not allowed to be, especially with Kozue.

As for Anthy, that's definitely the princess dress from the series. And a castle instead of a shed. Quite a contrast there. emot-confused

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#325 | Back to Top07-13-2007 07:02:32 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Giovanna wrote:

The way Touga is sitting in the second image with Akio is very, very closed off, especially for him. emot-aaa

I recall initially thinking the scene with Touga suggested Miki had slept with him, but now I think that it's just an imagined sexual idealization of Touga, who quite enthusiastically encourages that sort of thing. He knows Touga's banging Kozue, and there seems to me almost an envy about how Miki's seeing him as this freely sexual creature he's not allowed to be, especially with Kozue.

As for Anthy, that's definitely the princess dress from the series. And a castle instead of a shed. Quite a contrast there. emot-confused

Knowing Utena, anything involving princess and prince is a lie. I doubt the castle ever existed in the first place for both the series and the movie. In the series, we see that it's actually a shed where Anthy sheltered Dios. And, in the movie, we see that Anthy "killed" her brother at the studio (?) where he paints her portraits.
Knowing that the characters' words can all be distorted from the truth to a certain extent, I think Anthy's sealing of Dios in the movie is actually him falling off the window and her burying him inside the garden.

Board footer