This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-24-2008 08:07:36 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

Why do we like this series?

There's something I've been thinking about lately. Perhaps one of the reasons I haven't particularly felt interested in writing fanfiction for Utena is because there aren't really any characters I like. Certainly, Utena has some admirable qualities, but her complete naivete irks me. Wakaba is a good friend and really cute at times, but her longing to save Saionji doesn't particularly appeal to me in a feminist sense. I could pick out any number of faults with Miki, Juri, or any of the other even less moral characters.

No doubt, Utena--perhaps similarly to the less complicated Loveless--is an exercise in picking apart human flaws and people's weaknesses. There's incest and psychological manipulation and abuse. Sin and debauchery. Everyone using everyone else for some kind of gain.

And yet I, and many other people, love the series. And maybe the reason we love it is because every single character is complex and has flaws, and usually isn't what he or she appears to be. We can analyze it, scrutinize the symbolism and body language and song lyrics. And it never gets old.

It's a decade after the anime's original release. That's a pretty long time for people to be interested in something. Granted I'm a new fan, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who have been involved since the beginning. That's a really powerful realization.

No, the characters aren't likable. But that's what makes this show so incredibly different from other anime, and from fiction of all media. I think Tohru from Fruits Basket is one of the nicest girls around, but I'm not interested in analyzing her. Sometimes it's the witches who hold our attention. Sometimes it's the messed up brother-sister relationships that make us want more, for better or for worse.

Does this say anything about who we are? Are we living vicariously through fiction?

I think that's the wrong question to ask. It's more about "What does this reveal about our interests in understanding other people?" At least that's what it means to me. Utena is weird. It's both unrealistic and too realistic. In real life, most brothers and sisters aren't sleeping with each other, after all. But even though I don't like, and plain outright dislike, a lot of the characters, their value lies in the truths they speak about humans. About what we want, what and who we desire, and most importantly why we do it. We find parts of ourselves in them that we don't always like, but we have to recognize those similarities and figure out why these characters are so important to us.

I think the Shadow Play Girls sum up for me the reasons I most enjoy this anime. Because they see things the way they really are, and by looking through their eyes we can understand the mysteries that make up what it means to be a human. We may not be searching for our knights on a white horse, but most of us are trying to reach that Castle in the Sky, whatever it means to each of us.

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#2 | Back to Top11-24-2008 08:19:01 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Re: Why do we like this series?

Hmm, I think someone asked a similar question once before, but it was a while ago, so I'll take another crack at it.

Strangely, it's hard for me to pin down just what it is exactly that drew me into SKU so much.  It's an allegory, full of metaphors, and is surreal, so on an artistic level I like it quite a bit.  Yet it goes deeper than that.  For reasons I can't quite put into words, I can relate to the series on a more personal level too.  Maybe it's the themes of defying accepted roles, maybe it's Utena's discovery of herself through the duels... whatever it is, somehow I can identify strongly with the story and characters.  It's a lot more than "just an anime" to me, in some ways.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#3 | Back to Top11-24-2008 11:09:37 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Oddly, I'm not sure we've ever had a thread quite like this before, though Rae posted one a while back asking what Utena means to us.

I'll second you, Autumn, in pointing to the depth of the characterization as the most important reason Utena has captured me.  I don't feel as you do, though, that the characters are unsympathetic.  They aren't perfect, true.  Each and every one has at least one serious flaw that damages their relationships.  But surely sympathy is not reserved for the perfect.  In fact, the perfect are the hardest to sympathize with.  You can only watch Superman deflect bullets off his chest for so long before you want to watch a human hero for a while.  Utena's heroes -- and I believe every one of Utena's characters is a hero, at least of their own stories -- are human heroes.

That humanity is why I sympathize with the characters of Utena, and why I love them and their show.  I'm not the only one.  We all sense an inner humanity in each of them, worth understanding and pitying and loving.  That's why we'll spend hours picking apart why Saionji hits women or whether Anthy enjoys sex with Akio or whether Utena herself is really noble and in what way.  So ultimately, I suppose, I like Utena because of the sensitivity with which its characters are drawn, how it avoids caricature.  No one goes to an Inu Yasha forum to debate why Miroku is so horny all the time.  Akio is a different story.

Above all, I love Utena herself -- which is maybe ironic, because in some ways she's the least nuanced character of the bunch.  Even for her, though -- the character who has least given up her aspirations toward nobility -- doing the right thing is not easy, and doing it for the right reason is sometimes impossible.  I admire her.  Not for her naivete or her oblivion to her own selfishness, but for her ability to confront an increasingly complicated and dangerous world without forgetting what she's really about.  She may be a pawn -- but like a pawn, she never stops moving forward.  I want to have her belief in herself, and she's what keeps me watching the show.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-24-2008 11:12:10 PM)

#4 | Back to Top11-24-2008 11:21:00 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

etc-love Why do I love thee, let me count the ways..... (yeah I altered the quote slightly LOL)

First of all, the series is well written, and as a writer this automatically gives it points (I would tie the good, human characterization that others have mentioned in here). For me the fact that the creators do not spell everything out for you (most of the time) makes it infinitely open to interpretation, which is why we have all these fun discussions, figuring out where symbolism ends and where literal begins. I like a bit of open-endeness, it keeps some mystery in, which a lot of shows dispense with in their eagerness to get their POINT across. I love that it has both fantasy and real-world aspects, without easily classified as either. I love that it does have a touch of magic to it. I love the parallels between the characters; each pairing is a parallel of one of the relationships of the three main players, Utena, Anthy and Akio. I love that it is a shojou with a heroine I don't want to strangle (as so many are so airheaded). I also love that it is a shojou with vast amounts of sword fighting, as I was a fencer long before I was into Utena (to find sword fighting you usually have to shop in shounen). I love a good duel. I love that it is a shoujo where the characters actually have sex, a lot of them tentatively shy away from that point....this is an odd thing to say about a show that is so very steeped in symbolism and metaphor, but I think in some ways it is more realistic about teen relationships and sex than a lot of animes.  I love that it questions concepts of love, friendship, devotion, gender-roles, sexuality... I love that it explores the pains of growing using some fairly unique metaphors. I love that you can fin ad evidence of many world religions and mythos in its depths.

I love that I can watch the series time and time again, and find something new each time.

I do not love it for any one of these things. I love it because it is the only show (anime or otherwise) that I have found that does ALL of these things at once. etc-love

Last edited by hollow_rose (11-24-2008 11:42:10 PM)

20 threads dead so far.

#5 | Back to Top11-25-2008 01:36:00 AM

End of the Tour
Ballgoer

Like_Autumn wrote:

Certainly, Utena has some admirable qualities, but her complete naivete irks me. [...] I think Tohru from Fruits Basket is one of the nicest girls around, but I'm not interested in analyzing her.

Which is kind of funny, because I think Utena is the bee's knees, despite her flaws, yet Tohru really grates on me for some reason.

Anyway, I definitely agree with the "complex characters are fun to analyze" and "symbolism/surreality" angles.  Also, when a series showcases such a lovely variety of characters full of flaws and dreams, odds are pretty good that most of us will find at least a few things that really hit home, or so I imagine.  It is more than just that for me, though - it's hard to really enumerate the reasons why, but it just resonates so hard.

I'm suspecting that some of it, for me, has to do with still being a student, and having been for so incredibly long.  (My laptop is named Nemuro, in a bit of black humor.)  A friend of mine who's long out of college watched the series for the first time semi-recently, and she thought it fell flat in part because she'd been out of school for so long.  But, no, this doesn't come close to being all of it.

Oh, and it is absolutely wonderful to see an anime series that is so smart about gender.  Honestly, I'm usually just relieved when a show manages to avoid the most atrocious gender nonsense.

Sometimes life is about making difficult sandwiches.

#6 | Back to Top11-25-2008 05:16:06 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

I'm going to be a total sociologist here and say that it is society's fault. XD My reasoning? In a culture generally absent of any inherent meaning or connection, we tend to connect to the socially isolated Utena characters searching for meaning. All of them are lonely in their own right, all are complex. Since virtually all people feel constantly lonely and complex, there's a lot to connect to. Utena fans in particular tend to dwell upon these traits. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but SKU doesn't offer much to those who don't relate intensely to the characters and their world. as other posters have brought up. The themes of this show deeply resonate with problems of identity, duality, societal definition, love, attraction, power, ideals, gender ambiguity, etc.

Ultimately, I think when the fans reflect upon their favorite characters and themes of the show, it serves as a source of self-investigation. You'll notice that many many many of these threads are dedicated to what we'd do if placed in the Ohtori world. What would my duel be called? How would Akio get me? Although we all tend to analyze the show itself, we also use it as a catalyst for investigating ourselves. After all, as bad and manipulative as Ohtori is, it at least pays attention. The characters there all have some sort of significance, even if not dramatic, and it's perhaps there's a sort of masochistic compliment in that.

The series is a well-done masterwork, in my opinion. It's a surreal blend that deeply appeals to my artistic obsession with dreams and pseudo-reality. It leaves one constantly guessing, is endlessly open to interpretation, and reflects many of the philosophies I constantly dwell on. The true power of it, though, especially as it is realized in this community - it serves as a medium for us all to connect and analyze each other and ourselves.

Oh. And let us not forget the sex.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#7 | Back to Top11-25-2008 05:49:21 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

I'll admit it right here: I don't like how Utena the series is animated. It was never the animation that drew me, which is odd, because I love the fan art and Saito-sama's art. If anything, in a darkened room when I was fifteen and again when I was sixteen, the common themes between myself, Utena, Anthy, Juri and Wakaba intrigued me. Years later when I finally sat down to BRS, Mikage, Wakaba and Anthy disturbed me with how much I was like them in my faults.

The gestalt that is Utena fandom was also responsible for how I have stuck with the series for so long. I once told my husband that I was into a "childish" series because of the fandom itself and I told the truth.

The rest of this post is IFD.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#8 | Back to Top11-25-2008 08:57:26 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Schoolgirl lesbians.

....also the tasty angst. And dramas.
[/shallow]

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#9 | Back to Top11-25-2008 09:10:09 AM

Leroy
Eternal Castellan
Website

I've always told people that I love the series because all of the characters are sexually deviant and emotionally destructive.

~ Dreaming of my Fire Flower ~

#10 | Back to Top11-25-2008 02:11:24 PM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

It's the most wonderful piece of feminist propaganda in the guise of a cartoon series and I'll be damned if I didn't enjoy it!emot-biggrin

Last edited by P.D.M. (11-25-2008 02:11:55 PM)

Cedric X Orube: Finally a pairing I can adore!

#11 | Back to Top11-25-2008 02:23:11 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

I love the show for a myriad of reasons, but the most important one being, the idea of a girl becoming a prince was pretty novel to me. Sure, we've seen this before a kick-ass girl in a role of power, yes---Buffy springs to mind, but in SKU the idea has so many more layers to it. *No offense to any Buffy fans, I too love the show*
Like satyreyes, I'm a fan of Utena the character.

I like the portrayal of the characters. This is one anime where the characters flaws, have some basis on people you've either met, loathed or have similarities to.
Everytime I watch the show, I can see bits of people I've known over the years and think "wow such and such is so like this character." I  think that because the characters seem more human than most anime characters, we have more to discuss.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#12 | Back to Top11-25-2008 03:01:12 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I came for the crossdressing girl Prince who wanted to save the 'Princess' and stayed for the mindscrews with characters like the cat-drowning cow-girl, the overshadowed girl who seeks to overcome the closet lesbian 'friend' and even the trapped in time pinked haired scientist.

#13 | Back to Top11-26-2008 11:41:06 AM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Man, I dunno. Logically, it doesn't make much sense. I'm repelled by drama and tragedy, but I love SKU. It was also one of my first anime, and I first saw it when I was sixteen or so, and was fresh enough to anime that I'd watch just about anything (even *ugh* Fushigi Yuugi).

But I think Utena might have drawn me in with its relatively light-hearted first arc, and simply the fact that it's so good despite all the drama. Sometimes I compare it to Giant Robo in that sense, since I also hate anime where a lot of great characters die-- except for Giant Robo, which has a huge death toll in its cast, but it's so amazing that it doesn't matter.

So I guess even though, in a lot of ways, Utena goes against the kind of stuff I enjoy, it's so damn good that I love it anyway. Plus it makes for hilarious parody material.

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#14 | Back to Top11-28-2008 06:50:45 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Baka Kakumei Reanna wrote:

It was also one of my first anime, and I first saw it when I was sixteen or so, and was fresh enough to anime that I'd watch just about anything (even *ugh* Fushigi Yuugi).

Haha...that was one my first as well. I think the thing that eventually repellled me was that half the dialogue eiher consisted of "MIAAAKAAA" or "TAMA-HOM-E!".

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#15 | Back to Top11-28-2008 11:09:57 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I don't think the characters are totally unsympathetic, but I agree that they're so interesting because they're so incredibly flawed. Many of the characters will at different points either drive me nuts with their selfishness and emotionally destructive ways or they will endear me with their raw hurt and emotion and the fact that they sometimes remind me of hurt kicked puppies.

Except their hurt kicked puppies with so many dirty, despicable secrets. They have the kind of secrets that they or anyone else in their shoes would not want to face. That's what makes them so real. They show us the dark parts of humanity.

I think the main reason out of many, many reasons why I like Utena is because there's always something to think about and analyze. I like things that fuck with my head. And if it's colorful and full of roses and cross-dressing princes, even better.

Hi. :3

#16 | Back to Top12-01-2008 04:12:20 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Because it's fucking amazing and I rarely give compliments like this. cool

But when people insist for a real reason, I start talking about a very typical and shoujo setting told in such a unique and different way that I start to wonder is it plot originality what really matters or the way you tell this plot. With characters so flawed and bastardly, yet lovable and relatable from a very cathartic perspective. I hardly feel any of them are stupid, even if all their issues are self-induced. It says something about solving your own problems, because as the watcher you see it from a perspective that the characters don't have, realizing they're too involved in their misery to realize their problems are somewhat easily solved. Somewhat.

It's a series you not only can learn from and feel for, but watch many times and still discover something overlooked or forgotten. A new layer of depth, just waiting for the watcher to analyze. It touches many topics, both unmentioned in other anime and controversial in nature, while still retaining a certain charm and tastefulness in its execution. Instead of judging, it discusses said topics. It's surreal and odd, without decomposing into something nonsensical just for the sake of being nonsensical. It's a series with so many details within it that writing my end of high school paper about it without narrowing it to a single element proved to be a bad idea. It's just that detailed. Ah.

#17 | Back to Top12-03-2008 03:04:54 PM

MissKosmic
Juri Jeerer
Website

I found Utena when I was 13 and was just beginning to question gender roles, and starting to develop "feelings" towards friends of the same gender. So I guess my initial reasons are obvious. The first episode I ever saw was the only tape my video store carried...the episodes where utena loses to touga and then has to duel him again to regain herself. What a great way to get into a series! I was immediately intruiged. I watched the tape dozens of times trying to figure out what the duelists were about, and who the heck the rose bride was. So starting like that, Utena's been a mystery to unravel right from the start.

But what kept me coming back? Everyone I knew rejected and disliked the idea of lesbian/gay relationships and the universe of SKU became a sanctuary, my holy 'shining thing'...a world I could run to that would reinforce what I knew in my heart...that kind of love can be valid, that girls can be princes and that miracles do happen. Which is sort of weird since there aren't any successful gay/lesbian relationships in Utena, only unrequited ones.

Deeper...Juri had me hook line and sinker. She WAS me. (at least in my foolish and youthful fantasies) I had two best friends...J (a girl) and M (a boy). I was in love with J and so was M....I was 3 years younger than them.  (ooh that rhymes! lol.) so when they started dating, my relationship with both became strained.  J was never icey or cruel like Shiori, although she welcomed my attention, allowed me to spend money and time on her..more than a friend...less than a lover, most likely enjoying (at least on a subconcious level) her power over me. For what reasons I couldn't even begin to ponder. J and M are married now (they've been together 8 years) and J is pregnant with their first child, I'm it's godmother.

It's no longer about J, I grew up. But there is something that was...to me...noble in all those years of suffering and wanting her,  bearing it with as much dignity as possible...to fill J's world with light even if I can't have her...that defines my character. Quiet suffering. And that, ultimately, is what links me to Utena: the parallels between myself and Juri. SKU is my golden locket.

Now that I'm a well adjusted (?!) adult I stay because of the artistic/surreal qualities of the show, and because I LOVE the animation style (actually all Utena artwork). I stay because of the fandom and the company...because of the discussions. I don't post, but lurk often. this is a long and oddly personal post for me, I hope no one finds it too strange.

EDIT: I probably should have put this in the "what is Utena to YOU thread" upon further thought. this doesn't exactly say why utena is great, just why it's great for ME. lol.

Last edited by MissKosmic (12-03-2008 05:40:22 PM)

#18 | Back to Top12-03-2008 06:53:15 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

MissKosmic wrote:

EDIT: I probably should have put this in the "what is Utena to YOU thread" upon further thought. this doesn't exactly say why utena is great, just why it's great for ME. lol.

I'm not sure there's a difference emot-smile  Welcome to the forum!

#19 | Back to Top12-08-2008 12:46:06 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I actually laid eyes on it back around 2001-2002.  The beautiful manga art drew me in, but I abandoned it the second there was implied incest. However, I heard great things about it, and when it came to Comcast OnDemand I decided to give it a try. Not only was it intense, fresh, and thrilling, but it struck an emotional chord in me when I saw Utena and Anthy's friendship. 

My best friend is to me as Utena is to Anthy, you see. I saw so much of us in the characters it was not even funny. She is confident, tomboyish, and very protective of me. Even their skin colors match ours! If not for her I would still be painfully shy and cowardly.  We have been friends for almost a decade, and I still love and idolize her.  I know I am not a fighter, so I always give her a shoulder to cry on and she balances me out with encouragement. I am the Rose Bride who wants to help her duelist sister in any way possible.

When we met I couldn't believe that she would want to be friends with me of all people, so I was practically subservient to her like Anthy.  I was even happier when she liked me for who I was. She is my Utena, my heart's twin, and I love her. That is really why I like the series.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#20 | Back to Top12-08-2008 04:26:12 PM

MissKosmic
Juri Jeerer
Website

Riri-kins wrote:

I actually laid eyes on it back around 2001-2002.  The beautiful manga art drew me in, but I abandoned it the second there was implied incest. However, I heard great things about it, and when it came to Comcast OnDemand I decided to give it a try. Not only was it intense, fresh, and thrilling, but it struck an emotional chord in me when I saw Utena and Anthy's friendship. 

My best friend is to me as Utena is to Anthy, you see. I saw so much of us in the characters it was not even funny. She is confident, tomboyish, and very protective of me. Even their skin colors match ours! If not for her I would still be painfully shy and cowardly.  We have been friends for almost a decade, and I still love and idolize her.  I know I am not a fighter, so I always give her a shoulder to cry on and she balances me out with encouragement. I am the Rose Bride who wants to help her duelist sister in any way possible.

When we met I couldn't believe that she would want to be friends with me of all people, so I was practically subservient to her like Anthy.  I was even happier when she liked me for who I was. She is my Utena, my heart's twin, and I love her. That is really why I like the series.

That's a sweet post, and it sounds like she's a true friend! I think we all find parallels to our lives which make the series more special. Thanks for sharing that!

#21 | Back to Top12-08-2008 10:07:01 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I love this show because you gain a new insight everytime you watch it again and even more insights if you take a different drug whenever you rewatch it. emot-biggrin

#22 | Back to Top12-09-2008 02:07:45 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I'm with those who say it's the symbolism and the depth of the series that does it for them. Even though I've had basically nil participation in the analysis threads since...2006, probably (HA HA HA GOD I SUCK) I love the way just watching five minutes of the show gets my brain tilting the whole thing sideways and looking at it differently all over again. I have to admit this is one of the major reasons I must go to at least one RoseCon, because I have never had the pleasure of nerding out to SKU with other people IRL. So basically, at RoseCon I promise to be the one pressed up against the TV saying ZOMFG GAIZ DID U C THAT?!!11!!!1!!!!1!!!!

Trust me. I'll do it. poptart

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

Board footer