This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-30-2007 02:52:40 PM

Pandora
Pathtracer

Genre for Utena music

What genre would you classify Utena's wonderful background music into? I personally have no idea where it would go. I'd be interested to see your input.

#2 | Back to Top04-30-2007 03:11:14 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Re: Genre for Utena music

lol I know this will sound silly but I usually classify soundtrack music aaaaaaas soundtrack music! Usually soundtracks have a large mix of styles so they're usually not classifiable. Like the Utena soundtracks have jazz, rock, orchestrall, popular music, and many other styles all mixed together. If you were going to classify singular songs that would be MUCH more doable.

So yeah, that's what I think. Soundtrack. emot-dance

#3 | Back to Top04-30-2007 03:27:08 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

See now I avoided saying soundtrack as a genre because I didn't want to sound like a smart ass. emot-tongue But as Emiemipoemi has pointed out the variety of music in Utena crosses so many genres that, as a whole, it can only be classified as soundtrack. Now as for the duel songs I would place them in a pop/rock category.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#4 | Back to Top04-30-2007 03:39:14 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Alithea wrote:

Now as for the duel songs I would place them in a pop/rock category.

I read somewhere that the duel songs could be placed in a choral rock category.
Then again, I wouldn't put all the duel songs there, especially the music from OST 7 since Seazer seems to have his own unique style.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#5 | Back to Top04-30-2007 05:34:11 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

BGM - Shinkichi Mitsumune music
Duels - J.A. Seazer music

emot-wink

Labels are futile for a series like SKU, soundtrack included. The only label I give it is Utena music. emot-biggrin

On a side note, I dislike labelling music at all.  Pigeonholes are silly. Using labels to describe a style is ok, to give an idea of what to expect.  It's when labels are used to say "X genre is better than Y genre", or "I'll never listen to Y style band because I only listen to X style music".  I want to hurl flaming poptarts at those people. emot-wink

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (04-30-2007 05:40:17 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#6 | Back to Top04-30-2007 06:05:05 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

BGM - Shinkichi Mitsumune music
Duels - J.A. Seazer music

emot-wink

Labels are futile for a series like SKU, soundtrack included. The only label I give it is Utena music. emot-biggrin

On a side note, I dislike labelling music at all.  Pigeonholes are silly. Using labels to describe a style is ok, to give an idea of what to expect.  It's when labels are used to say "X genre is better than Y genre", or "I'll never listen to Y style band because I only listen to X style music".  I want to hurl flaming poptarts at those people. emot-wink

Yeah that's definately true. Usually the people who say that are really stupid music wise anyway. How could you ever limit yourself to one specific style or one band? D:

I really love Shikichi's music style, too. I love the piano/bass/saxophone thing going on. The music from FLCL sounds a LOT like Utena music. (granted it's the same composer) And it's nice to hear jazz references every now and again.

#7 | Back to Top05-01-2007 02:52:00 AM

Abraxas
Saionji Slapper

Emiemipoemi wrote:

I really love Shikichi's music style, too. I love the piano/bass/saxophone thing going on.

I like it a lot, myself. The baroque-sounding music from the Black Rose arc also makes me particularly happy. I remember I was pleased as punch when I found Soundtrack 2 at an anime convention, because I could finally listen to the Nemuro Memorial Hall music (I think I scoured every CD vendor at that con for Utena OSTs).

I agree that Utena music is unclassifiable as far as genre is concerned, since it covers such a wide range of styles. Even individual songs seem to have an unusual mixture of musical styles in them.

"Reality is what you can get away with." - Robert Anton Wilson

#8 | Back to Top05-01-2007 03:01:07 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I've always considered it operatic rock. Which means it tends to get lumped in my playlists with Meatloaf and Nightwish. Kinda fun, 'cause my friends go "Oh, a song I know! Oh, a song I don't know! Oh, a song in ...what the hell is that?"

Edit: Becuase I tend not to listen to the jazzy things. Jazz annoys me for the most part. Too... jazzy.

Last edited by morosemocha (05-01-2007 03:01:54 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#9 | Back to Top05-01-2007 09:00:42 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

morosemocha wrote:

Edit: Becuase I tend not to listen to the jazzy things. Jazz annoys me for the most part. Too... jazzy.

D:

#10 | Back to Top05-01-2007 09:13:57 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Emiemipoemi wrote:

morosemocha wrote:

D:

Yeah, I know. I'm not as snooty as I like to pretend to be. emot-frown It's too disorderly, too chaotic for me. I like things to be more or less orderly. Which, considering I'm an Utena groupie, is pretty sad. emot-rolleyes

Last edited by morosemocha (05-01-2007 09:14:29 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#11 | Back to Top05-01-2007 01:35:52 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I find J.A. Seazer's material far more chaotic than the jazzy Mitsumune pieces.  I love all of it though.  The piano pieces that sound all peaceful but go with ominous and foreboding scenes are among my favorites... things like Belladonna's Snare from the movie and Comforting Nostalgia and Kiss from the series.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (05-01-2007 01:43:00 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

Board footer