This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-30-2007 08:14:08 PM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

Please Help Me with an Assignment!

I am currently studying English Linguistics at Arizona State University. For the final in one of my classes (which is due Monday), I have to identify some features of my English usage that are not "standard" and identify whether these are regionalisms or social class markers. Then I have to identify other people who use these same usages and ask them why they use these forms. If some of you wouldn't mind, could you tell me if your usage shares any of these features and why you use them (i.e.  "I've never really thought about it" or "That is the regional dialect" or any other thoughts).

Example 1. I pronounce schedule with an initial [sh] instead of [sk]. This is a non-standard pronunciation in my region, though it is the standard in other places, i.e. England.

Example 2. I say "Can I come with?" instead of the standard "Can I come with you?"

Example 3. I say "For sweet!" instead of the standard "That is sweet." (Meaning adorable)

Example 4. The "a" in the word "rag" sounds like the "a" in "rage".

Thank you to everyone who reads this and responds. It is very important to me and I appreciate all of your help.

#2 | Back to Top11-30-2007 08:23:41 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Re: Please Help Me with an Assignment!

Alas, I don't do any of these things, although my Wisconsin roommate pronounced rag/tag/bag, etc with the long A of rage.  I always thought that was northern US-related.

#3 | Back to Top11-30-2007 08:24:11 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Example 1: I never hear this outside of BBC documentaries. I'd say it's reliable non-standard outside of places with large Brit populations.

Example 2: I do hear this one pretty often, it's a 'white' saying in Miami, you hear it from the crackers but no one else. I've heard it a few times in Canada as well, it seems to be a pretty normal saying among younger folks.

Example 3: This one I've never heard. emot-keke

Example 4: Never heard this one either. emot-keke Edit: Actually yeah I've heard that one in the northeast from severe, and I do mean severe, Boston and NYC accents.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top11-30-2007 08:36:51 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

BY THE WAY, THIS IS A MOD APPROVED THREAD. Normally I wouldn't have someone's homework done on the forums, but this is pretty interesting stuff.

1. Every so often I slip and do this by accident. I think it's because I've heard too many documentaries voiced by Brits.

2. I do this all the time. It's pretty common here in Canada. I do it because I'm lazy, and 'you' is a whole nother word-- how much effort do you expect me to go to?

3. I've never heard this one.

4. Agreed with the other posts on this one. I've heard it in Northeast US, nowhere else.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top11-30-2007 09:13:16 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

alexielnet wrote:

This is the only way I know how to say rag. Is it not correct? emot-confused

Ray`g, ray`j. Ray`g, ray`j. Rag rhymes with bag and flag and ... leg.

(For the assignment, can't you just pretend you converse entirely in internet memes or leet speak?)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#6 | Back to Top11-30-2007 09:24:41 PM

Red Angel
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I don't entirely understand what you're asking, but I'll try and answer.

Here in South Texas, we talk like Mexican cowboys.
What do Mexican cowboys sound like?
I'm not entirely sure since I have horrible Spanish.

1.  I've only heard allegoriest, some of my relatives and random sexy British men at my school say this. I think its a British thing since I'm English, they are, and I think Allegoriest is like... Chinglish. (On a note, that gets made fun of here alot I've seen.)

2. People here say 'Can I come with yall?' I usually say 'can I go too?' myself though. I've never heard 'Can I come with?' ever though I think.

3. I would have never even thought of saying 'For Sweet!'

4. I can't even comprehend this one. It makes no sense to me. emot-confused

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/cherry_whispers/signature.jpg

#7 | Back to Top11-30-2007 10:48:16 PM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

Thank you everyone for your replies. This is really helpful. The point of the exercise, as I understand it, is to reinforce the idea (for those of us studying the topic) that variation from the "standard" does not make a usage wrong.

The reason I use the British form of "schedule" is because of this show called "Space Cases" I watched when I was really young. I liked the way the "principal" lady said that word, so I adopted it. I have trouble saying it the American way now, because I'm so accustomed to the British clipping of the penultimate syllable in that word that I really have to think before I say it.

"Come with", as I far as I can tell, is a Northern clipping due to the fact that the object is understood and it is not necessary to specify it.

"For + (adj)" is apparently a Minnesota dialect feature originating from Scandinavian language influences.  It would be used to say something like, "You're little sister gave you that doll? Oh for sweet!"

Ragnarok wrote:

This is the only way I know how to say rag. Is it not correct? emot-confused

emot-smile The answer to your question is that yes, it is correct. It's a variation, like the merger of the vowel in "pin" and "pen" so they sound alike (which is not a feature of my dialect). In my dialect, any time an "a" is followed by a "g", it makes the [e] sound as in "laid" or "lake". Another way to pronounce the word "rag" would be so that the vowel sounds like the vowel in "lad". I can say it that way if I think about it, but it doesn't sound right to me. I don't share the "leg" sounding like "bag" feature. That is really interesting and certainly not wrong. As far as claiming I speak only in net speak, I actually thought about doing that and bringing in a bunch of kitty macros, but I actually find that kind of language annoying (though I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't use it) so I decided to do the assignment the way the teacher intended. emot-smile

Thanks again everyone. I hope that other people find the topic of English usage variation as interesting as I do. In that spirit I will add that I have trouble deciding whether to spell the color between black and white as "grey" or "gray". They are both technically correct, but I my usage is not consistent.

Last edited by alexielnet (11-30-2007 10:49:22 PM)

#8 | Back to Top11-30-2007 11:10:33 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I've always prounced 'rag' as /ręg/, I've never even thought of pronouncing it in any other way.

With that being said, English is not my first language and I'm learning British English which is quite different from the American variety (pronounciation-wise, that is).

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#9 | Back to Top11-30-2007 11:12:20 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Do you need more replies?  I use "come with" sometimes, but not consistently.  It must have rubbed off on me from my University of Chicago friends -- who are from all over, so I can't say where they got it from.  I don't think I say "Can I come with," though; I only use it when I'm giving an invitation.  "You want to come with?"

Of course, the usual caveats apply about how it's hard to know how we talk, because we don't really listen to ourselves very carefully and if we did we'd probably speak differently anyway.

#10 | Back to Top12-01-2007 03:21:58 AM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

All replies are great up until Sunday night when I have to have the paper done. Thanks.

#11 | Back to Top12-01-2007 10:57:29 AM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

alexielnet wrote:

"For + (adj)" is apparently a Minnesota dialect feature originating from Scandinavian language influences.  It would be used to say something like, "You're little sister gave you that doll? Oh for sweet!"

That's intresting, sometimes I say "For serious." but I'm not sure where I picked it up from. I don't know anyone from Minnesota, anyway!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#12 | Back to Top12-01-2007 12:15:57 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Example 1

After reading what you wrote, I spent a good 5 minutes trying out both. But I also use the 'sh' sound - it seems to flow more naturally.

Example 3

I've heard this phrase on movies and whatnot, but I've never used it personally. I don't think I've met many who do - perhaps just one of my friends, who was formally from Britain.

Example 3

Never heard or used this one. emot-smile

Example 4

My rag sounds like ray-guh, so I share this with you.

I kind of wish I was doing this assignment - Newfoundland's dialect is so obscure, it's practically another language. I've never heard phrases like, "yes, b'y", "buddy, luh", and "how's she cuttin'" anywhere else.

#13 | Back to Top12-01-2007 03:11:12 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

As you can see to the left, I am from Connecticut.  I am exactly in between NYC and Boston... about 90 miles from each.  Now that you know where I am, here's my data for you. ;)

Example 1. I pronounce schedule with an initial [sh] instead of [sk]. This is a non-standard pronunciation in my region, though it is the standard in other places, i.e. England.

SKedule for me.  Much as I adore British English, the only time I say SHedule is when I (attempt to) speak British.

Example 2. I say "Can I come with?" instead of the standard "Can I come with you?"

I have never even heard the former until I read this.  Always "can I come with you?" for me.

Example 3. I say "For sweet!" instead of the standard "That is sweet." (Meaning adorable)

Never heard "for sweet!" ever before, either.  "That's sweet" in contracted form is how I'd usually say it.

Not for me... I say it as just plain  \ˈrag\    That said, I can't detect my own accent, so there may be some sort of inflection there that I can't hear.  I often wish I knew what my accent sounded like! emot-confused

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#14 | Back to Top12-01-2007 07:43:38 PM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

Example 1. I say [sk], and I've only ever heard people on TV with British accents or something saying it with [sh]

Example 2. I hear this every so often and I irrationally get filled with rage every time I hear it.  I'm not sure why, but I absolutely need an object to that preposition, or my OCD goes haywire.

Example 3. I have never heard that, but it sounds silly to me (see example 2). Although I have heard this:

Ragnarok wrote:

That's intresting, sometimes I say "For serious." but I'm not sure where I picked it up from. I don't know anyone from Minnesota, anyway!

I'm pretty sure that this instance derives from "For real" which was altered to:
A-san: "For real?"
B-san: "For serious."

Example 4. The "a" in the word "rag" for me is the generic, boring 'a' in 'apple' for me.

Last edited by mazoboom (12-01-2007 07:45:59 PM)

#15 | Back to Top12-01-2007 10:53:51 PM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

mazoboom wrote:

Example 2. I hear this every so often and I irrationally get filled with rage every time I hear it.  I'm not sure why, but I absolutely need an object to that preposition, or my OCD goes haywire.

Yeah. There are several reasons for this use. One reason is the German influence in the Minnesota area. Another is that the use of "with" is shifting from a preposition to a particle, which is simply part of the verb. The third is that the rule about prepositions was just decided by a few grammarians who appeared during the 17th and 18th centuries who declared that because the word began with a "pre", that it must come "before". Actual usage has always varied, even among the so-called elite.

Of course, I have my own issues when it comes to various usages, such as pronouncing "ask" as "ax". Still, by actually studying grammar, I've come to see how silly prescriptive grammar really is outside of formal writing and some forms of formal speech. Grammars were mostly written by elitists who appealed to their own sensibilities rather than the actual rules people were following when speaking. These arbitrary rules were then used (and continue to be used) to marginalize people whose English use varies from the standard. Through the study of linguistics, I've come to enjoy the richness of language variation.

Board footer