This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top10-21-2012 05:33:46 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Re: What kind of duelist are you?

...it can be RP tiem plz?

Together, you guys would be the best Student Council ever.

#52 | Back to Top10-23-2012 12:08:08 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

^This. Absolutely this. Also, why do duelists have to also be Seikotai members, with Utena being the only exception? If it were up to me, there would have been duelists amongst the so-called "normal" student body as well. The rings would separate them from the rest, and it would add more personalities to the mix school-sherlock

Oh, I guess I'm posting here. Might as well throw my proverbial hat into the mix (not my real hat, I don't actually have any hats) also I'm using Florence's scheme (and without permission at that! How shameless can they be?)

Reason:Oh boy, here we go. At my core I'm a heavily conflicted person, torn between my sense of duty to treat others with kindness and my near-overwhelming subconscious selfishness, never mind the psychotic murderer hiding in my psyche. In other words, I have multiple reasons to duel, and would gladly wield a sword for whichever of those reasons happened to be the dominating force in my mind. That said, I have no idea which one it would be, seeing as I can't speculate how being faced with a legitimately life-changing decision like that would actually affect me.

Uniform: Black and White. Think Two-Face, only less visually metaphorical and more subtly symbolic, as any SKU character should be.

Sword: See Club memberships.

Fighting Style: If I were a fencer, I'd have way too much fun with the freedom of movement, and make no effort to hide my enjoyment of being able to execute as many superfluous agility feats as possible. Also I'd probably make the most of crazy tactics like purposely turning slowly into a strike while leaving my back completely open in the process... thus daring my opponent to strike where it would most assuredly deal a considerable amount of damage to me, but not necessarily win them the duel. That sort of thing may well cause the crucial moment's hesitation I'd likely need to win.

As a Kendo-Ka however, I would function in pretty much the opposite manner. I'd still be primarily focused on making sure I could broach my opponent with multiple levels of aggression (getting into their head as well as attacking with the sword) but would go about doing so in a much more direct, focused manner. Where the former style would be more trollface and assorted smirks and chuckles whilst dodging around, as a Kendo swordsman I'd simply be taunting my opponent or otherwise verbally provoking them directly whilst engaging them with my blade.

Rose Color: Would be subject to change depending on how I progressed. Red for undecided, Cyan for greed, or Jade for trust. Of course, at this particular moment I'm just kinda projecting my own opinions on these rose colors... :/

Symbolic Item: I really, really want to say a coin, but that'd be going too with the Two-Face references... or would it? Maybe a pair of 6-sided die would be equally sufficient.

Club Membership:I'm not sure. Whether I joined the fencing club or the Kendo club would more or less depend on which reason motivated me to do so, but I could join either club with good or bad reasons in mind. I could join the fencing club with the intent to be earnestly friendly towards it's members, seek to establish a legitimate sense of morality, and rest easy if I were on good terms with it's leaders. I could just as easily turn rogue, and do all sorts of wicked, despicable things with whatever knowledge or power I gained. Joining the Kendo club instead would result in different scenery, but the inner conflict would still be there.

Rose Bride and I: To win a duel would force me to have made that crucial career choice, and decide the path I would choose for the rest of my life. I can only see myself being one of two different people as a Victor... either way, I'd be all in, 100% dedicated to my decision.

The Council and I:
Touga: I'd like to fight this guy. Like, throw a punch at his smiling face out of nowhere. Really, it'd be fun no matter why I was doing it. I could teach him a lesson, or seek to steal his status.

Saionji: Which qualities I choose to focus would vary depending on which of my imagined life paths panned out, but in both cases I would respect this man for who he is.

Juri: Heart breaker, dream maker. I could be her friend, or her worst nightmare...

Miki: (I like your style, kid.) Evil: You're dangerous, I appreciate that./Good: You're a nice person, don't ever forget that.

Nanami: Honestly, I'm not sure how I'd act around this particular person.

Ruka: Who?

Well, I guess that's that. However, that's assuming I were for some reason attending Ohtori at the age I currently am now (I guess if it was a College-level university as well, I could be there now in theory) my answers would likely be very different if I were presented with this sort of query back in the day. As a 16-17 year old I had a vastly different perspective of things... is it just me, or did everyone else make the same assumption and project themselves as appearing to be teenagers, but possessing their up to date knowledge?

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#53 | Back to Top10-23-2012 12:01:56 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Chrome Homura wrote:

^This. Absolutely this. Also, why do duelists have to also be Seikotai members, with Utena being the only exception? If it were up to me, there would have been duelists amongst the so-called "normal" student body as well. The rings would separate them from the rest, and it would add more personalities to the mix school-sherlock

I guess Akio figures the Student Council is most likely to attract the right type of people for the game? emot-tongue And also by limiting the number of people who gets to join it's easier to keep it a secret.

I still don't know what kind of duelist I would be though. I'm kind of shy and inhibited (and was never that active as a teen), so it would have to be something big for me to duel over it, and I have no idea what I would duel over in the first place. >_> Of course there are things I'm unhappy about, but that's more because of my personality than anything. So maybe I would hope the power of miracles would give me a personality-transplant. emot-rolleyes

As for the Student Council, I guess I'd get along with Miki. Uhm, and I would probably be charmed by Touga. orz Although if he hit on me too much I would be put off. (Assuming the simple fact that I'm living in the SKU world meant I wasn't an ugly teen.) Saionji would intimidate me. I might feel sorry for him if I got to know him better, but I don't know why we would interact much in the first place. I'm not sure about Juri. Guess she would intimidate me a as well. emot-tongue Nanami... depends on whether she found a reason to think I was moving onto her onii-sama or not, I guess.

If I somehow won the Rose Bride, I would have a similar attitude to Utena in that I wouldn't believe she really was just a doll without a heart (not that I would mind her doing all the cleaning), but being shy myself I wouldn't insist on her needing more friends. I might ask her about herself, if she has any non-rosebride related interests besides her roses, and talk about my own interests a lot (since I doubt she would complain if I bored her). Considering how lonely I often was back then, I would definitely like to think of her as a friend.

#54 | Back to Top10-23-2012 08:46:24 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I'd probably be too lazy to duel, unless you threatened to cut off my internet if I didn't. I wonder if Anthy can be made into a wifi hot spot?  That would truly be a miracle!

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#55 | Back to Top10-24-2012 07:04:11 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

^Now that would be something to fight for. emot-biggrin

#56 | Back to Top11-14-2012 05:33:59 PM

The_Lame_Goat
Rose Smilee

What kind of duelist would I be? Probably easy pickings for Akio.emot-frown

I'd be forced into the council by my parents, be pretty inactive until Akio starts sending me letters. My perfectionism would drive me to duel, which wouldn't get me too far. I'd probably just quit halfway through my third duel, sick of failure. Maybe I'd use a handmedown sword to fight. My rose color would be a faded cadet blue.

Oh treachery!

#57 | Back to Top11-14-2012 06:19:51 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

I get elected through no action of my own, and treat the whole thing as a joke right until the letters from EotW start showing up. After being introduced to the game, I become determined to win the Rose Bride through BURNING PATHOS rather than actual sword skill - ironically, that puts me a bit closer to the mark than the others. If I actually manage to win the Rose Bride, I'll probably use her for completely mundane things - Hey, Anthy, I forgot my cell phone back at the dorm; will you get it for me? - but of course defend her fiercely from all challengers.
Preferred weapon? A European longsword requiring two hands at all times, which puts me at a disadvantage to the other duelists who use lighter weapons but also gives me the intimidation factor.
Rose color? Uh...how about maroon?
BR Duelist/Bride? Any of the friends who got me elected and then get nothing after the results come in. I'm surprised this scenario didn't appear in the show itself.
Akio's seduction? Barring flat-out molestation, I don't think he could get me in bed - I only like feminine dudes (see avatar). However, the simple idea of someone who agrees and supports me in my worldview would be powerful; I debate myself more often than I debate others.

Board footer