This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top01-13-2009 05:31:11 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Re: Classic/Old Movies

hyacinth_black wrote:

I liked the Clockwork Orange book.  Not the movie.  It forgot the essential last chapter.

I liked the movie nevertheless - stumbling a bit in the last step doesn't negate the excellent atmosphere, or acting. Ofcourse I think that you should both see the movie and read the book, and enjoy both together, and let them fulfill each other - that should be done with all good movies made of good books.

Talking about really old movies, I enjoyed The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari quite a bit. It's a German silent film from the era of the Great Depression, and is one of the great classics of horror film. You can't throw a stone in a Tim Burton film without hitting in a reference to it, just for example. Again a movie that stumbles a bit in the end - though twisty, the ending gives exactly the opposite of the message its creators wanted to make due to executive meddling. Anti-authoritariarism wasn't popular in Germany in those days.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#27 | Back to Top01-13-2009 05:43:17 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Cool Hand Luke yet. I think it was Paul Newman's best work, and the scene when he eats fifty eggs is totally awesome.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#28 | Back to Top01-13-2009 06:05:36 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0014429/

Safety Last. I love this movie. 1923, bitches. emot-dance

Though, I don't own a copy (I want to though). The oldest movie I own is The Court Jester, which is incredibly fun.

Last edited by Baka Kakumei Reanna (01-13-2009 06:06:12 PM)

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#29 | Back to Top01-13-2009 10:04:25 PM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

has anyone mentioned Omega Man?
i loved the way it began. it was so spooky.

hm. i'm... here again? catch me in the discord-- im fairybull

#30 | Back to Top01-15-2009 06:59:45 PM

BalamiyaVardihi
High Tripper

It may not be THAT old, but Gandhi was the best.

Oh, and March of the Wooden Soldiers/Babes in Toyland.

Twirling round with this familiar parabol
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and
Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing

#31 | Back to Top01-17-2009 05:40:57 PM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

i loved that movie, Gandhi.
etc-love

hm. i'm... here again? catch me in the discord-- im fairybull

#32 | Back to Top01-20-2009 03:13:07 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Out of curiosity, what do you guys consider old and classic?

(Had a semi related discussion earlier on this, and it seemed to be anything before the 80's...Which I don't really seem to be that od, but hey.)

#33 | Back to Top01-20-2009 05:35:39 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

For me, old is before the 80s; classic can be anything before like four years ago, I'd say.

One Hitchcock film I'd never seen before or really heard of much was Dial M For Murder. I watched it a couple weeks ago on Netflix instant movies and was pleasantly surprised! With Grace Kelly as the leading lady, the plot is interesting and the acting good. It is of course a little cute in that Hitchcock way, but I felt it was one of his finer second-tier pieces.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#34 | Back to Top08-31-2010 11:41:56 AM

tuomastahti
Banned
Website

Lightice wrote:

Talking about really old movies, I enjoyed The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari quite a bit. It's a German silent film from the era of the Great Depression, and is one of the great classics of horror film. You can't throw a stone in a Tim Burton film without hitting in a reference to it, just for example. Again a movie that stumbles a bit in the end - though twisty, the ending gives exactly the opposite of the message its creators wanted to make due to executive meddling. Anti-authoritariarism wasn't popular in Germany in those days.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the original version of Caligari. It's my all-time favourite movie. However, you are the first one I've read saying that it "stumbles a bit in the end". In my opinion, what makes the film exceptionally special is that it was the first movie with a twist in the end and also the first cinema representation of altered mental states.

#35 | Back to Top08-31-2010 05:19:16 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

tuomastahti wrote:

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the original version of Caligari. It's my all-time favourite movie. However, you are the first one I've read saying that it "stumbles a bit in the end". In my opinion, what makes the film exceptionally special is that it was the first movie with a twist in the end and also the first cinema representation of altered mental states.

Well, it's mostly the reason why the twist ending was implemented: an authority figure just can't be evil. I hear that the crew made a second twist ending just to spite this, though I've never seen this version. In it, the head doctor puts on the hat and cape, revealing that he is Caligari, after all, and had driven the protagonist insane instead of killing him.

Since this thread's been resurrected for my sake, lets add Dr. Strangelove among the old movies I love. The fact that it was made during some of the worst years of the Cold War just makes it more hilarious.

Last edited by Lightice (08-31-2010 05:20:33 PM)

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#36 | Back to Top08-31-2010 06:30:04 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Lightice wrote:

Since this thread's been resurrected for my sake, lets add Dr. Strangelove among the old movies I love. The fact that it was made during some of the worst years of the Cold War just makes it more hilarious.

I really want to see this... but I promised my brother I would watch it with him, and the brat hasn't taken me up on it! Can I ask, is it enough for me to be a Kubrick fan to enjoy it, or should I brush up on my Cold War history as well?

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#37 | Back to Top08-31-2010 07:36:15 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Horror movies before the mid 90's. To me the king of these is George Romero's Night of the Living Dead. Hardly any gore at all and to this day I still get twitchy watching it.

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#38 | Back to Top08-31-2010 10:21:23 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

God I *LOVE* classic movies and musicals. TCM is always on in my house. I was raised on Hitchcock and Vincent Price films, so much so that they're almost part of my blood now. I think I've watched Vertigo at least twenty times over the years. I love Judy Garland films (except The Wizard of Oz); A Star is Born is amazing. Another favorite musical of mine is Gigi; a 1958 musical which is essentially about prostitution. I still have yet to see Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Suddenly, Last Summer, but they are absolutely on my must-see list.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#39 | Back to Top09-01-2010 12:03:45 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

A few of my favorite older movies emot-biggrin

1. El Dorado (the one with John Wayne and Robert Michum) I love really old western movies. I also really love John Wayne.

2. Sorry, Wrong Number (awesome thriller)

3. Fourteen Hours (a serious movie with lots of funny bits)

4. The Man Who Came to Dinner (hilarious movie with Bette Davis)

5. Mr. Sardonicus (chilling and very creepy movie about a man with a frozen smile)

6. From the Terrace (young Paul Newman. What more could I say? *faints*)

I could probably list all day, but I'll stop here emot-tongue For now.

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#40 | Back to Top09-01-2010 05:11:21 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Yasha wrote:

I really want to see this... but I promised my brother I would watch it with him, and the brat hasn't taken me up on it! Can I ask, is it enough for me to be a Kubrick fan to enjoy it, or should I brush up on my Cold War history as well?

You really don't need more than pedestrian knowledge of the general goings of the Cold War, as far as I can tell. From the little that I have dwelled in the topic more seriously, all I can say is that it's pretty amazing how little shit they actually made up for the movie. There actually were plans for a cobalt bomb, that could indeed potentially end the life on Earth's surface. There actually were nuts who believed that fluoridization of the drinking water was a Communist plot to poison the Americans. The movie went to extreme lengths to provide a scenario where a nuclear bomber couldn't be recalled after receiving its orders; something almost impossible under any sane circumstances. And yeah, not all the German scientists given important positions in the United States military were very nice people.

When I first saw it I was quite surprised how little role Dr. Strangelove himself actually had in the movie. He's pretty much just president Muffley's Mr. Exposition who towards the end gets increasingly nuts, calling the President "Mein Führer" and stuff.
But yeah, it has Peter Sellers doing three roles, adlibbing as much as he can, and a whole bunch of actors who thought they were making a serious war film, hamming it up on what Kubric claimed to be extra takes for the amusement of the studio staff. He ended up using the silliest performances in the final cut. cool

Horror movies before the mid 90's. To me the king of these is George Romero's Night of the Living Dead. Hardly any gore at all and to this day I still get twitchy watching it.

As I recall there's a fair bit of gore. It's just all black and white, so it doesn't register as much. But yeah, it's a classic.

Last edited by Lightice (09-01-2010 05:12:21 PM)

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#41 | Back to Top09-02-2010 01:40:03 AM

minervana
High Tripper

Giovanna wrote:

Does the BBC ever mess up? emot-frown )

The BBC cast Lindsay Lohan in a documentary about sex trafficking in India. This was maybe six months ago, not the Mean Girls/Freaky Friday period. She spent the entire documentary looking like she needed a fix and was almost crawling out of her skin. Not really a wise decision.

Now, back on topic: one of my favorite films ever is The Third Man, with Orson Welles and Joseph Cotten. It's such an excellent film, and I like that they shot it in postwar Vienna, not on movie sets (as was then common). The screenplay was by Graham Greene, who made another movie with Carol Reed called "Our Man In Havana," with Alec Guiness. It's not as good as The Third Man, but it's still Alec Guiness for gosh's sake.

Seconding the Dr. Strangelove recommendation. You really don't need to know anything about the Cold War to appreciate it. In fact, it might be better to go in cold, because it's so ridiculous. Then, later, you can read the history and realize how much of it was actually based on real life, and it makes the movie even funnier.

There's an excellent silent film version of Faust by, I think, Murnau. See it in the theater if you can, because it's not the same on DVD at all.

Last edited by minervana (09-02-2010 01:40:41 AM)

#42 | Back to Top10-31-2010 09:14:10 PM

mplo
New Student

Shmeecherz wrote:

2 great ones!

Paper Moon

To Kill a Mockingbird (book also awesome!)

I saw Paper Moon when it first came out, and enjoyed it immensely.  I read the book To Kill a Mockingbird in English class, during my sophomore year of high school, back in the late 1960's.

#43 | Back to Top10-31-2010 09:21:48 PM

mplo
New Student

Razara wrote:

Rae wrote:

My Fair Lady (Yes, Audrey Hepburn again)

My Fair Lady is one of my favorite movies. I attended a school production of it quite a while ago, and they did such an amazing job that I was actually a little disappointed when I saw the movie. The music in the movie is beautiful, and I find Eliza and Henry to be very entertaining characters.

Most of my favorite old movies actually fall under the musical category. I liked West Side Story, I thought that Carousel was pretty good, and I know that there are a few I'm forgetting that I have been trying to recall over the past few days. I wish that I had seen Cats preformed on Broadway before it ended, and even now I've yet to get my hands on the movie.

I'm a big movie buff, especially of many of the older 1960's and early 1970's classic films, although there are afew newer ones that I've seen and liked a great deal also.  I have a fairly long list of favorite films, although West Side Story is admittedly the tops for me.  Although I never saw Carousel, I have seen My Fair Lady both on stage and on screen, and I definitely liked the stage play better than the movie, although the film was OK too. 

West Side Story, imho, is a whole different thing for me.  While most musicals do lose a fair amount of their kick when transferred from stage to screen, West Side Story is an exception in that the story and scenery and other resources were right there, which makes WSS beautiful on stage, as well as on screen.

Board footer