This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-27-2016 10:56:01 PM

Kae-Leah
Saionji Slapper

Which restroom at Disneyland would Utena use?

At Disney theme parks, there are some restrooms that are marked "prince" and "princess" instead of men and women for the sake of fitting the fairy tale theming. Silly question that I've asked some of my friends before: which one do you think Utena use and why?

Man or woman, it doesn't matter, one of strength and nobility is always a prince-Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena manga volume one

#2 | Back to Top01-28-2016 02:55:23 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Which restroom at Disneyland would Utena use?

Princess, I think. Utena likes to think herself a prince, but as a gender distinction I think she would recognize herself as female and use the princess bathroom.

I never took Utena, despite her princing, to identify as any gender but female. It might irritate her though that they distinguish in that language. school-freud:

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top01-28-2016 06:37:00 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Princess, I think. Utena likes to think herself a prince, but as a gender distinction I think she would recognize herself as female and use the princess bathroom.

I never took Utena, despite her princing, to identify as any gender but female. It might irritate her though that they distinguish in that language. school-freud:

And some of the other Duelists would undoubtably try to tease her for using the Princess restroom or try to goad her into using the Prince restroom.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#4 | Back to Top01-28-2016 06:39:22 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Ashnod wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

And some of the other Duelists would undoubtably try to tease her for using the Princess restroom or try to goad her into using the Prince restroom.

This is adorable.  It belongs in a doujinshi, or possibly in a sequel video game.  That is all.

#5 | Back to Top01-28-2016 06:55:02 PM

Kae-Leah
Saionji Slapper

On the subject of Utena's gender...yeah I definitely read her as cisgendered too. I'm noticed on Tumblr there's a growing number of people who interpret her as trans, and while they certainly are entitled to their head canons, and it's great if trans folk are able to relate to her, but I just don't think she's intended not to be cisgendered. I think she's supposed to be cis and bisexual in the anime, and in the manga probably cis and bi with a general preference for guys.
I think if she did decide to use the prince restroom, it would not be because she identifies as male, but because she identifies as a prince so strongly that she's not comfortable using a restroom marked princess. But more than likely she'd probably hesitate for a moment before going ahead to use the princess bathroom, maybe peeing her shorts because she took a moment to stare at the doors.
I thought this would make a cute cosplay masquerade skit haha, with a cardboard backdrop of the restroom doors with poor Utena hesitating over which restroom to use

Last edited by Kae-Leah (01-28-2016 07:03:51 PM)

Man or woman, it doesn't matter, one of strength and nobility is always a prince-Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena manga volume one

#6 | Back to Top01-29-2016 05:27:59 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'M A PRINCE!

But they're usually guys. I think they must be thinking only guys would be Princes.

FUCK THE PATRIARCHY* :stomps toward Prince:

But...I don't want people to think I'm actually a guy! I'm not!

:turns toward Princess:

BUT. I mean, it's okay for people like...to feel that way. I'm not against that, what if I offend someone by looking like I'm not okay with trans people?

:turns toward Prince:

Having trouble making up your mind, Tenjou-kun?

:Touga walks into the Prince's room, an inviting smirk thrown her way:

....Eugh.

:Utena walks into Princess room:

*Typed that out before I remembered, oh yes. Yes, Utena did do that. etc-wankgirl

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top01-29-2016 12:11:06 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Utena would eschew both options and go behind the restrooms as an act of defiance! emot-dance
And with her luck she'd be caught and have to justify herself.

#8 | Back to Top01-29-2016 02:46:04 PM

Kae-Leah
Saionji Slapper

Oh Gio, you are hilarious! emot-biggrinemot-rofl

Board footer