This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top10-18-2012 12:48:11 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Re: Does anyone here have any simple protocols for living?

Empty-headed people in positions of authority have been the bane of my existence.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#52 | Back to Top10-18-2012 01:08:31 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Avoid them, and teach others to do the same. Bam, no more authority.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (10-18-2012 01:08:42 PM)

#53 | Back to Top10-18-2012 01:25:39 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Overlord Morgus wrote:

Avoid them, and teach others to do the same. Bam, no more authority.

Your optimism is. . . something.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#54 | Back to Top10-18-2012 02:23:22 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

95% of youth culture is about finding ways to ignore authority, and it's a big, big world for you to explore. Examples of bad run-ins?

#55 | Back to Top10-18-2012 02:55:35 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Overlord Morgus wrote:

95% of youth culture is about finding ways to ignore authority, and it's a big, big world for you to explore. Examples of bad run-ins?

This is just adorable.

#56 | Back to Top10-18-2012 03:04:20 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

I don't mean that you could learn from our nation's youth, I mean it's not hard to get them to disregard authority. Same with adults, actually.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (10-18-2012 03:07:00 PM)

#57 | Back to Top10-18-2012 03:30:31 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

No one go picking a fight, please.

#58 | Back to Top10-18-2012 03:42:35 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

I'm out.

#59 | Back to Top10-18-2012 04:34:11 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

My simple protocol for living: obey satyreyes. emot-biggrin

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#60 | Back to Top10-19-2012 08:06:19 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Obeying satyr is typically a very good idea. He's a smart guy. emot-dance

My simple protocol is to not overplan. It's a habit, but it never really helps and just frustrates you when you fail.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#61 | Back to Top10-20-2012 09:49:57 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Is planning the con the thing that made you think this?

#62 | Back to Top10-21-2012 06:38:29 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

wat?

Always ask wat's wat. Accept things at face value and you don't never gunna get none edcaton.

Last edited by crystalwren (10-21-2012 06:51:58 AM)

#63 | Back to Top10-21-2012 10:47:40 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

crystalwren wrote:

Always ask wat's wat. Accept things at face value and you don't never gunna get none edcaton.

What is this I don't even. . .

#64 | Back to Top10-21-2012 01:59:55 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I thought it was funny.  emot-biggrin

#65 | Back to Top11-25-2012 10:59:25 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

You should give your respect only to those who offer expertise and assistance. Do not listen to those whose only currency is shame.

#66 | Back to Top11-26-2012 02:41:14 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

You should give your respect only to those who offer expertise and assistance.

I'd question this part. Respecting people in general can be a good thing... Someone might not be better at me at X, Y, Z, or maybe at anything, but I think you can argue that a certain amount of respect should inherently be attached to the human condition, and that doing so makes the world a better place. Even if you want to take that protocol in the most practical and self-serving sense, you're a lot more likely to find people offering their assistance to you after you've shown them respect than before you've ever shown them any. You're really shooting yourself in the foot otherwise, at least in my view.

My own simple protocol, that I often fail to live up to, is that you should always work hard but never take anything too seriously because, in the end, it's probably not as important as it seems. I wish I could follow that 100% of the time, I'd be much more relaxed. But I still try. Whether stuff's working out or not, it helps to keep it all in perspective.

#67 | Back to Top11-26-2012 11:46:21 AM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

The only piece of simple advice that I've followed and that hasn't turned around and bitten me on the ass is this:

Assume best intentions.

We never know why other people do things, and we can't.  Too often, we project the worst of ourselves onto others, and end up escalating situations or stressing ourselves out.  And all because we've built up an image of a stranger in our minds that, really, has no basis in reality.

Like, say you're driving and someone cuts you off.  It's easy to think that the other driver is a self-obsessed jerkwad who should have their license revoked.  And so you swear, and honk the horn, and get worked up, and then you do the exact same thing to someone else, all the while cursing that first driver, and never see the irony.  But the truth is, you don't know why that other driver cut you off.  Maybe you were in their blind spot, or they were panicking about the traffic, or they're running late to their daughter's ballet recital.  You can't know, and so picking the worst option (they are totally deserving of the most colorful language you can employ) is just stressful and sets you up to act like an asshole.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#68 | Back to Top08-02-2014 01:34:32 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Don't trust people who are too sociable or are too fond of display. The most detestable people in human society (the viciously reckless poor, politicians, religious fundamentalists, the "1%") are both extremely gregarious and very image-conscious. Nice cars, pro sports, gaudy jewelry, megachurches, rallies and posters, etc. The more fond of showing off they are, the more detestable they are.

The only possible exception for the latter rule might be people who like to display their talents. A desire to display talents can often connote a desire to give, whereas a desire to show off possessions/"connections" is generally a sign of an overpowering desire to take. Although the desire to give certainly has its own pitfalls, especially for the giver, it is at least not as repugnant as the desire to take, even in its extreme forms.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (08-02-2014 02:04:43 AM)

#69 | Back to Top08-02-2014 04:01:01 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

1. eating healthy home made food, no alcohol, no smoking, no staying up late when I'm sleepy. I can't sleep well though nor move much because of my disease.
2. honesty, self respect, open mind, no complexes to control me
3. principal of "I don't do to others, what I don't want to be done to me", also my biggest attacking strategy is ignoring the enemy, as if they don't exist, it totally destroys their ego.

まずここでこのオスカル・フランソワの命をたってからにされるがよい!

#70 | Back to Top08-13-2014 10:21:18 PM

zevrem
Banned

Using an idea from engineering specification, I think that assigning metrics to one's life is important. But it's equally important to make sure that you don't have TOO many metrics.

Ideally, a person should have at least 5 and less than 15-20. If you don't watch any variables at all, then you're undisciplined. If you watch only 1-2, then your focus is dangerously narrow. If you watch too many, then you're probably a nervous wreck.

Last edited by zevrem (08-13-2014 10:25:58 PM)

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#71 | Back to Top08-28-2014 06:50:54 PM

Mangorabbit
Touga Topper

If you lose something, don't freak out. First, look down from where you had it last. look under things too. If that does not work, retrace your steps. Ask others for help  too; more often than not they will. If all of that does not work, the thing you are looking either does not want to be found or fairies took it. Either way, it will be returned when it is time.

"Here is my secret. It is very simple: one sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes."

#72 | Back to Top08-29-2014 10:24:05 AM

KnightOfTheRomantics
New Student

To quote Fitzgerald, "you can't do anything about people". You can't change someone who doesn't want to be changed, and it's not worthwhile getting upset over other people's choices; in the event that their choices keep causing you pain, tell them you're done and move on.

"Wasn't your prince... someone like me?"

#73 | Back to Top11-04-2014 11:42:48 AM

zevrem
Banned

I am generally leery of being too sympathetic to any large group or political affiliation. Politics isn't usually about good vs evil, or good vs good, it's usually one evil faction vs other evil factions. See: WWI and WWII, US and Chinese politics. There are no genuine friends in politics, or in 90% of social interactions, just enemies of enemies. This thought gives me a sense of groundedness, although it might not do the same for others.

Last edited by zevrem (11-04-2014 01:10:36 PM)

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#74 | Back to Top11-05-2014 01:04:17 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

If you're alive, breathing on your own, continent, and in full possession of your mental faculties (more or less,) not much else really matters.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#75 | Back to Top11-05-2014 04:13:04 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Giovanna wrote:

If you're alive, breathing on your own, continent

Um...did you mean to write "content" here, or...

Although, yes, incontinence is problematic.

Board footer