This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-17-2014 11:21:28 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

[Revolutionary Puzzle] Unhealthy Obsessions

Unhealthy Obsessions

Qualified people apply here, right...?  Umm, thank you for meeting with me on such short notice, Mikage-senpai.  Only I don't quite understand what I'm interviewing for.  To be honest, I came here wondering if there's some kind of dark secret behind your seminar.  Esoteric knoledge, that kind of thing.  Maybe that sounds dumb.  Except I think about that sort of stuff all the time.

Secrets could be hidden anywhere.  Don't you think that's a romantic idea?  Back in the old days, it was harder for spies to comunicate with their headquarters.  There weren't any cell phones or emails.  Deep in enemy territory, making drops was tough, too.  Sometimes the only way of passing messags was to hide them in other messages.  There was a whole art to it.  Steganography, it was called.  Anything could be a vehcle for a hidden message.  Letters.  Newspaper ads.  Radio broadcasts.  It was always designed to look totally innocent.  You could only see the message if you knew the rule.  Like, only read the first letter of every sentence.  That's an obvious example.  It could also be written in invisible ink.  Or typoraphical errors.  Or Morse code hidden in radio static.  One guy wove a code into colorful yarn and gave it to a courier to wear, so it wouldn't be found if he was searched.

Yes, go deeper, exactly!  The real world must be made of puzles like that even today.  Because if it isn't, then reality is just surfaces, you know?  I don't think I could stand it if there wasn't a hidden meaning.  Being alive today isn't like it was back then.  You can live and die today without knowing what a Vigenere cipher even is.  But everything people did then had significance, I'm sure of it!  When they wrote, they got out a pen and thought about every word before they wrote it, because they didn't have a backspace key.  Even writing was like painting on canvas.  They probably lived their whole lives that way, like an art.  Today...

Everything we do today is disposable!  We forget everything the instant we read it.  We don't eamine anything, we just save it to the hard drive.  No one pays attention to anything, no matter how thoughtfully it was made.  Or how much it meant.  So... there must be people who hide their secrets in the static, right?  Sometimes I send them out myself, little pieces of me, flying into the ether, visble if someone would just look deeper.  There must be other people who are listening!  Someone has to understand me!

---

JURI: And they say I have problems.
SHIORI: I kind of relate.  Haven't you ever buried your secret thoughts somewhere and sort of hoped someone would notice them?
JURI: Uh.  Now that you mention it...
SHIORI: Well, let's get going!
JURI: Huh?
SHIORI: They must have hidden a message in here, right?  Like a password or something!  We should look for it together.
JURI:  Oh!  Right, I guess that makes sense.  Then, shall we start at the beginning?

#2 | Back to Top02-17-2014 12:51:09 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Re: [Revolutionary Puzzle] Unhealthy Obsessions

I like this! I believe I have what I need, but I'll spend some more time on it once I get back from work! school-sherlock

#3 | Back to Top02-17-2014 02:27:55 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I'm fairly certain that the key isn't Satyr's name. Go deeper, I suppose.

EDIT: I should also add that I've noted the missing letters and the first words of every sentence. So far though, I'm having trouble applying what I'm finding to what I'm seeing, if that makes any sense.

Last edited by crystalwren (02-17-2014 05:01:38 PM)

#4 | Back to Top02-17-2014 08:11:40 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Hrm... I think I get the trick to this. I'm worried that it might be a little bit too obvious, though. Still, I'll start putting the likely clues together and see if they come together into something that makes sense.

EDIT: Well... The pieces of the puzzle are obvious, at least. Putting them together, on the other hand...

Last edited by Flah (02-17-2014 08:24:40 PM)

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#5 | Back to Top02-18-2014 01:31:28 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Think out loud emot-smile  Say what you've found as specifically as you can, and I bet either you'll make a connection or someone else will.

#6 | Back to Top02-18-2014 01:13:54 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Okay then. The typos are pretty obviously intentional (the spelling Nazi inside me is constantly screaming because of it). And, in the first paragraph at least, there's some sort of information hidden in those first letters in each sentence. The offhand mentioning of the Vigenere cipher also feels somewhat noteworthy.

My guess, imperfect as it might be, is that one of these codes is the cipher and the other code is the key to it. But, so far, no matter how I've assembled it, it's turned into unintelligible gobbledigook. It might be that I'm not using the Vigenere cipher correctly, so I'm planning on reading up on it a little bit more.

So... Information in the first paragraph: "QUOTE ME" (I sure did!)
Missing letters from the typos: WMEGZX (I might be missing a few for all I know; I'm almost tempted to run the full text through a spell checker)

Does it feel lonely?

#7 | Back to Top02-18-2014 03:22:58 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Flah wrote:

Missing letters from the typos: WMEGZX (I might be missing a few for all I know; I'm almost tempted to run the full text through a spell checker)

I've got: WMEIGZXI  for the missing letters part.

But when using that and QUOTEME for the key and Cipher, I get "GSQPCNTS," which is nothing at all.  emot-confused

#8 | Back to Top02-18-2014 07:32:11 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Flah wrote:

TheOnlyFlorence wrote:

I've got: WMEIGZXI  for the missing letters part.

satyreyes wrote:

Anything could be a vehcle for a hidden message.  Letters.  Newspaper ads.  Radio broadcasts.  It was always designed to look totally innocent.  You could only see the message if you knew the rule.  Like, only read the first letter of every sentence.  That's an obvious example.  It could also be written in invisible ink.  Or typoraphical errors.  Or Morse code hidden in radio static.  One guy wove a code into colorful yarn and gave it to a courier to wear, so it wouldn't be found if he was searched.

The interesting thing about steganography is that, because the real message is embedded into some other ordinary-seeming message, the steganographer has to take advantage of the unique characteristics of the medium.  If the message is going out over radio, you could use static.  If weaving, colored yarns.  What medium are we working in?

#9 | Back to Top02-18-2014 07:44:04 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

It seems that "Quote me" isn't the key. It's an instruction. Hit Quote under the original post and you'll see something interesting. I think it bears further analysis.

Does it feel lonely?

#10 | Back to Top02-18-2014 08:11:01 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

....my brain just imploded.

#11 | Back to Top02-19-2014 04:05:34 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

My head hurts.

#12 | Back to Top02-19-2014 04:11:05 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

emot-gonk

I'm gonna have to pass this one, it seems. Leaving this to smart people.
(I started translating the ellipses and hyphens as Morse code emot-redface. Way to go off the mark...)

#13 | Back to Top02-19-2014 10:28:44 AM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Since I'm the only one still standing, I'll post the solution.

So, from the mystery numbers... We've basically got different colour codes, each with the same RGB values. Whether or not Satyreyes is a fan of 50 Shades of Grey is irrelevant since we seem to only have 26. As in the number of letters in the alphabet. So, translating it to letters, where 01 is A and 26 is Z, we get the following message: "DECODE MISSING LETTERS WITH VIGENERE KEYWORD ETERNITY"

Thanks to the keen eyes of TheOnlyFlorence, we know that the missing letters are WMEIGZXI. When you plug that into the Vigenere square (there's a helpful one on Wikipedia), with ETERNITY as the keyword, we get the solution: STAR TREK.

Satyreyes, if I might be so bold, I would like to make a small criticism. Your mind is twisty in a good kind of way. You've already given us three excellent puzzles that have given us a great mental workout while maintaining the SKU theme. This continues right up to the solution which winds up being something completely unrelated. Again, this is not an attack on your ability as a puzzlemaster, since you've proven your ability to create three times now. I just feel that it would be better to tie everything (within reason, of course) in to the same theme, from beginning to end.

Nonetheless... Congratulations on another excellent mindbender! I can't wait for the next one!

Last edited by Flah (02-19-2014 10:30:13 AM)

Does it feel lonely?

#14 | Back to Top02-19-2014 11:33:53 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

And I admire your twisty mind, Flah emot-biggrin  Ding ding again!  STAR TREK is the solution!  And Snow, using ellipses and hyphens as Morse code would have been a really cool idea!

Flah, it is true, the solutions are not on theme.  Please trust me that there is a good reason for this, which will be revealed in due time.  emot-wink

Board footer