This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top01-21-2012 01:51:12 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Re: Absolute Destiny Sburb

Yes! When I saw the term "rogue", I thought of the equivalent of thief in DND games. But, with Vriska as an established "thief", it's hard to say how rogue differed from thief.

Thanks for pointing that out for us, Satyr! It makes sense now! emot-smile

Also, when watching that animation, I can't help but think of this music video from Royksopp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADBKdSCbmiM&ob=av2e

Now I see Roxy, I'm gonna think of this song.

#52 | Back to Top02-07-2012 10:31:08 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Welp. Dirk is very certainly gay. That is both cool and sad. Poor Roxy... and poor Jake.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#53 | Back to Top02-09-2012 07:35:15 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Latest update on UU

So our new Troll friend had written fan fiction and drawn fan art of the kids. I think I like him/her already.

That said, he/she has... long horns like the gazelles. So far I only know one troll with horn like that...
Highblood. That's the FIRST thing that came to my mind!

#54 | Back to Top02-09-2012 01:15:11 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hiraku wrote:

Latest update on UU

So our new Troll friend had written fan fiction and drawn fan art of the kids. I think I like him/her already.

That said, he/she has... long horns like the gazelles. So far I only know one troll with horn like that...
Highblood. That's the FIRST thing that came to my mind!

I loved this update.  It was so meta, and yet it also worked on an entirely non-meta level.  Moreover, Dirk Strider, Destroyer of Souls?  His fate just keeps getting awesomer.  emot-biggrin

UU"s horns made me think of Gamzee's, but looking back at pictures, they hardly resemble each other at all.  Gamzee's horns don't make sine waves like that.  Those horns definitely do not belong to any troll we know.  Also interesting, in this update, is UU's cufflink.  It's half of the Cancer symbol/the mark of the Sufferer.  That is, it's a broken manacle.  Furthermore, we now know that in UU's universe, the kids' story is memorialized in legend, or at least in a webcomic or something.  It seems increasingly likely that UU's universe is the one that the eight kids and surviving trolls will create as a result of the new successful session.

Though that leaves unanswered questions.  Why would the new universe be populated by trolls (and possibly humans), like the previous universe was?  These are definitely trolls -- horns, blood colors, the troll language on UU's keyboard.  At one time I was tempted to believe that the kids would create the trolls' universe the same way the trolls created the kids' universe, in a cosmically large Mobius double reacharound.  An Ourobouros, to work UU's snakes into it.  But UU's universe doesn't seem to be the same as Karkat's, nor the same as the Sufferer's.  So where did the new trolls come from?  emot-confused

Last edited by satyreyes (02-09-2012 01:19:35 PM)

#55 | Back to Top02-09-2012 01:43:32 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I didn't think about that. That's definitely an interesting angle to look at regarding UU.

Maybe s/he is one of the descendants of the troll/humans we've seen in the previous session. Maybe Gamzee's, even.
Gamzee and Karkat are already moirails/best friends, so it's not unlikely that Gamzee's children would carry the sign of the sufferer, and with the candy red color instead of grey, no less! Which could mean that maybe the concept of the hierarchy based on the hemospectrum has been abolished (One can only hope).

#56 | Back to Top02-09-2012 05:08:11 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Perhaps. Her green jacket is also interesting. Apparently, there is a confirmed missing blood color (lime) that was seen in/on/around the Grand Highblood, so there is that. Given that her color is a direct inversion of Karkat's-well. The interest in the past is also something. Only Aradia showed that sort of interest, exploring ruins and the like.

I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#57 | Back to Top02-09-2012 08:35:13 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Anthiena wrote:

The interest in the past is also something. Only Aradia showed that sort of interest, exploring ruins and the like.

This is interesting.  Do we know that the kids' story is in the past relative to UU?  Or could it just be in an alternate universe where the ideas of "past" and "future" don't apply, in the same way that John's universe wasn't in the past or future relative to Karkat?

#58 | Back to Top02-17-2012 09:27:52 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Oh my god...

The latest animation of Homestuck. Dirk is "awake", and he's tired of your shit :U

Also, the Condesce/Batterwitch... I wonder why she's so dead set on killing the 4 Alpha kids.

#59 | Back to Top02-17-2012 09:48:15 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Wow emot-aaa  Poor Jake!

Dirk fucking owns at this game.

And... the Condesce seems to have become the new Black Queen.  Awesome!!  I wonder how and why.  It seems like being the Black Queen carries some vulnerabilities with it that the Condesce might prefer to avoid.  What if someone prototypes her with a potato or something?  emot-biggrin

#60 | Back to Top02-17-2012 10:53:13 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

I don't know if it was just the simplicity of the style but I kind of doubt it-but why does the Condence's ring lack orbs?

Oh god. Where is the Black Queen's ring?

EDIT:

I've been looking over Andrew's blog and bravo, AH.

http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/post/159655 … ged-reblog

Last edited by Anthiena (02-17-2012 10:54:35 AM)

#61 | Back to Top02-19-2012 01:17:17 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

I have to talk about this right now. What is this?

http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006482

That this.

I went like "WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT" for five minutes. Clearly, this is a Scorpio lady-but which one? I will put my money on it NOT being Vriska. Check out the Signless symbol. Vriska NEVER wore that and that outfit looks mightily like the "Tinkerbell" outfit that Vriska wore but it seems... more... authentic, perhaps? Anyway, she seems to be carrying herself quite differently than Vriska would. Plus, those red shoes, so not Vriska.

I will bet anything that is fucking Mindfang. Great question: while it does not matter what Jake is feeling at the moment (I refuse to speculate) why the hell is a dead Mindfang going off to see Jake? Why are we seeing more and more of the Ancestors here? Is all that expositing going to matter now?

Epic. Fucking. Reacharound.

#62 | Back to Top02-19-2012 02:19:57 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Anthiena wrote:

I will bet anything that is fucking Mindfang. Great question: while it does not matter what Jake is feeling at the moment (I refuse to speculate) why the hell is a dead Mindfang going off to see Jake? Why are we seeing more and more of the Ancestors here? Is all that expositing going to matter now?

Epic. Fucking. Reacharound.

It ain't Vriska.  But it ain't Spinneret Mindfang, either -- at least, not the one we're accustomed to.  The winsome lass before us is no pirate.  No, we're not seeing anyone from the troll universe we spent Hivebent in.

My confident guess is that this spidertroll is from the universe the trolls inhabited before their Scratch.  She is one of the players of the first round of Sgrub, who scratched their session and were reborn as the ancestors of Karkat and his fellows.  In short, she is not the Spinneret Mindfang; she is the previous life of the Spinneret Mindfang, from an erased universe dating to when Mindfang was just a Sgrub player and not a powerful Ancestor and scourge of the seven seas.

And now that it's been established that that is a thing, I think it's reasonably likely that this is UU.

#63 | Back to Top02-19-2012 10:21:34 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I like the idea that the troll we see here maybe the previous life of Mindfang.

It would be an interesting way to see how the previous Troll session had failed exactly. With that being said... if the previous trolls had also scratched their game under the aid of Echidna, where WOULD they be now....? Would Jade, John, and Davesprite run into them at some point as they had crashed through the fourth wall? :U

I don't think it's UU, though, because UU's horns were distinctively bendy-curvy. :U Plus I think our newly introduced troll is a dead girl (white eyes), and with Jake's dream self died, he's likely to end up in a dream bubble or finding himself among the Deep Ones if he ever sleeps/pass-out, much like Jade.

Or maybe UU IS a dead girl communicating through dream bubble. That would be interesting to say the least. :U

Last edited by Hiraku (02-19-2012 10:23:37 AM)

#64 | Back to Top02-19-2012 03:19:55 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hiraku wrote:

I don't think it's UU, though, because UU's horns were distinctively bendy-curvy. :U Plus I think our newly introduced troll is a dead girl (white eyes), and with Jake's dream self died, he's likely to end up in a dream bubble or finding himself among the Deep Ones if he ever sleeps/pass-out, much like Jade.

Oh, yeah, you're definitely right -- at least as far as UU not having Vriska horns.  I spaced on our new knowledge about UU. emot-smile

#65 | Back to Top02-21-2012 02:54:28 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Just checked on the latest update of Homestuck. I must say, wow, that was quite the unexpected development. Honestly, me and my friend thought that Dirk's feeling may end up being unrequited. We didn't think he'll actually have a chance.

That said, I wonder what this means for Homestuck readers who also happen to be gay...

#66 | Back to Top02-21-2012 04:05:57 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I'm just laughing my ass off at Jane.  Teenagers...  emot-rolleyes

#67 | Back to Top02-21-2012 08:19:51 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

satyreyes wrote:

I'm just laughing my ass off at Jane.  Teenagers...  emot-rolleyes

All she needs to know is that Roxy and I and her dead Poppop are all very very disappointed in her. :U

Also, this would have been so legit and awesome:
http://d-rocketeer.tumblr.com/post/1760 … -them-both

And also this (The kind of thing you pull out of tumblr):
http://professorgoogoo.tumblr.com/post/ … -reactions

Last edited by Hiraku (02-21-2012 08:23:56 PM)

#68 | Back to Top02-22-2012 12:27:54 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Double post... this time about another update AH did in the middle of the night :U

Jane is um... so I think we now have a better sense of what Jane's ability is.

Looks like she's unkillable. :U Like the cheerleader from Heroes. And... maybe just like the cheerleader from Heroes, if she goes brain dead, she'll probably die for sure.

Last edited by Hiraku (02-22-2012 12:28:31 AM)

#69 | Back to Top02-22-2012 02:10:25 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

You know, this is an odd thing to say, but in the world of Homestuck it almost seems like immortality (by itself) would be a lame superpower.  The game provides so many ways to come back to life, as well as at least two mechanics for ascending to a nigh-unkillable god tier, that being actually immortal hardly seems like much of an improvement!

Jane surely did come back to life, and this is probably an effect of being Maid of Life.  So what, exactly, is a Maid?

Here's my own conclusion.  I think that the Maid is the active counterpart of the passive Witch.  Both of our Witches -- the Witch of Life Feferi, and the Witch of Space Jade -- use their powers to protect other players by enlarging or shrinking their aspect.  (Feferi extends lives; Jade shrinks planets.)  If I'm right that the Maid is an active Witch, then a Maid of Life should be able to change the extent of her own life to benefit herself.  The ability to come back to life would be one likely consequence, but there might be others.

We have some evidence for this guess about Maids.  Our other Maid is Aradia, the Maid of Time.  Darned if the first thing she does upon ascending isn't to dilate time for Jack Noir, stopping him in his tracks and saving her own life: she extends time to benefit herself.

Just so I can laugh at myself over it later, here are my guesses about the class pairings, beginning with the two that are confirmed.

Thief+/Rogue- (UU: "one who steals")
Prince+/Bard- (UU: the "destroyer classes")
Maid+/Witch- (extending and shrinking)
Heir+/Page- (summoners)
Knight+/Mage- (protectors)
Sylph+/Seer- (visionaries)

#70 | Back to Top02-22-2012 05:02:29 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

satyreyes wrote:

Thief+/Rogue- (UU: "one who steals")
Prince+/Bard- (UU: the "destroyer classes")
Maid+/Witch- (extending and shrinking)
Heir+/Page- (summoners)
Knight+/Mage- (protectors)
Sylph+/Seer- (visionaries)

I am going to disagree a fair bit! Let us also consider what we know too about pre-scratch Mom, Bro, Grandpa Harley and Nanna-as well as what we know about Kanaya (the only Sylph) and Sollux (the only mage).

Bro: An active physical force that destroys.

Mom: A passive force that steals.

Nanna: An active force that gives.

Harley: Passive physical force.

Bro raised Dave with the training from hell, doing really crazy shit to make Dave into a tough person. He became a motive force and was an active force in Dave's life. He is fairly different from Dave, in spite of them raising and emulating each other-it is interesting to note that they emulate in different ways. Dave blindly worships Bro while Dirk respects but keeps his distance, growing colder and colder while Dave went warmer and warmer. Their names are the most different.

Mom on the other hand, was a drunken, mysterious figure in Rose's life, doing odd things yet appearing to be an accomplished scientist. Out of all the four kids, Mom was the least like her raised hero. She contrasts more sharply with Rose than Dirk does with Dave-Roxy, like Dave, feels that she can never measure up to her mother. Instead, all she does is steal her shadow... which is kind of the point. She's the Rogue of Void.

Nanna was never present in John's life but had a very strong presence in it-her love of pranks, jokes and a warm, outgoing nature got passed down to John, her words acting as a guide and even becoming a sprite, the only Guardian to do so in their session. She helps John far more directly, while forcing John to earn his metaphorical wings. She marked a way for John to go and guided him actively (though not so actively as Vriska did at the time)-of the guardians, Nanna had the most healthy influence on her charge... she, in effect, is the only guardian then to live on past the game. Dad, Harley, Bro and Mom all died and did not and cannot come back as they were.

Now as for Jake English and Jake Harley, which I will differentiate as such (JE and JH respectively)... what does JH do besides be a stuffed curiousity like his trophies? Well, claim the body of Jade's dreamself on the medium for one and before that... fire a shot that saved John's life. Using a gun, John thought it was his own hero, the Colonel. I believe that it wasn't, that it was JH doing as such. He does it on the sly, without being intrusive at all but being there at the pivotal moments. Where Nanna figured into John's story in a large way, JH's presence assured the continuation of the session as a whole, saving two lives and ensuring that Jade would be quite powerful. His gifts turned out to be very fucking plot relevant but passive all the same.

Kanaya is an interesting case. As the Hero of Space, she had the duty of raising the frog and besides her undead status, we don't see her using her space powers at all, do we? She compares her class to witch as "More Magical" but in a world where that is debunked, that may not mean a whole lot. A lot of what Kanaya does is about waiting for the right time, the right place. She is very passive and is a helper, doing things to aid her friends indirectly (but does suffer for it)-stepping up to act directly and be badass was her big moment, her great character-defining moment, to go for what she wanted.

Sollux was a schemer, the planner and did things-most importantly programming SGRUB and implementing different things. That he seemingly unknowingly programmed a Mobius Double Reacharound into it may have become what ensured that the Trolls would meet the kids and perhaps too that UU and mystery troll girl able to meet the kids around-after all, half of the Green Sun is his universe. He hears the voices of the "Dead and doomed"-this, I think, is a very huge hint as to where to place his class.

Another disagreement is over what the witch does-what we see is a little misleading, after all, she is Witch of Space-she cannot create it nor destroy it. We see this in The Condension, who could extend the Helmsman's life but not give it.

So, let's go over what we've got and I will add what I think:

Thief+/Rogue- (Stealing the aspect)
Prince+/Bard- (Destroying the aspect)
Witch+/Sylph- (Manipulation of the aspect)
Heir+/Maid- (Manifestation of the aspect)
Knight+/Page- (Defending the aspect)
Mage+/Seer- (Perceiving the aspect)

So, basically, we have these:

Steal
Destroy
Manipulate
Manifest
Defend
Sight

...so, am I off my rocker?

#71 | Back to Top02-22-2012 08:27:03 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Anthiena, you're my hero.  A lot of that makes a ton of sense, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn you are 100% right.  I'd forgotten that Sollux hears the voices of the dead and doomed -- yes, very Seer-like!  And yes, a Sylph is supposed to be a "magical witch," isn't it?  There was a whole joke about that.  I like that you managed to justify Maids and Sylphs as passive classes, which is what their names suggest to me, while making Mages and Witches active.  I like that you paired Knight and Page, both chivalric titles, which is what I wanted to do at first, too.  (I settled on Heir and Page, both waiting to come into their destinies.)

With that said, here are my reservations.

First, I assume -- without evidence -- that each session has an equal number of + and - classes.  Your taxonomy gives John's session three active classes (Heir, Knight, Witch) to a single passive class (Seer); Jane's session, conversely, has three passive classes (Maid, Rogue, Page) to a single active class (Prince).  Now, maybe that's okay because the two kid sessions together would be balanced.  Or maybe my assumption is outright mistaken.   But it seems inelegant to me.

Second, I assume -- with some evidence -- that two classes that are associated by the active/passive relation have the same gender distributions.  For example, it's known (if we trust UU) that Thief and Rogue are both predominantly female classes, and Prince and Bard are both exclusively male as far as we've seen.  But you have associated Heirs and Maids, even though (in our experience) Heirs are always male and Maids always female; similarly Mages and Seers, though these are more gender-neutral words and it's possible that we have two female Seers by coincidence only.  Again, maybe my assumption is mistaken, and the two canonical examples of class pairs just happen to have similar gender distributions.

Third -- and this is maybe most on the original point -- I don't think you've really answered the question of what a Maid does.  You have Maid as a passive class that "manipulates" the aspect.  But "manipulate" is a hedge word.  All of the classes manipulate their aspects.  Vriska manipulates luck by stealing it; Dave manipulates time by traveling through it; and so on.  So how, specifically, does a Maid of Time or of Life manipulate time or life?

Edit: (Of course, you know what's going to happen; it will turn out that there are more than twelve classes and aspects, and we're working from an incomplete list, and that's why we can't satisfy all the desiderata at the same time.  Maybe Act 7 will be about the Felt, and then we'll get to see the rest of them.  XD)

Editx2: ((In fact, let me just go ahead and predict that UU is a Whore of Speech.  emot-rofl  Whore and Maid are a pair.))

Last edited by satyreyes (02-22-2012 08:34:18 PM)

#72 | Back to Top02-23-2012 04:24:27 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Okay.

Thinking about it and often how reactive John is, I think Maid and Heir need to do a switch.

Let's look then at what the maids are and the jokes about them as well as heirs. I think I should have used a better word but I can't think of one that is going to confuse less. Perhaps "Being" or "Becoming".

"It was like you were MADE OF TIME."

Maid is a pun on made-while John summons his element ("manifesting"), he is not made of air or breath-but take it away and things could get very bad. Likewise, The Executioner/Expatriot uses his element to be unreadable-he manifests the void as a barrier on himself. Each time, their element is used actively, as either attack, defense or wtf ever else John does-I am sure that John could use the wind as a barrier as well if he thought of it-and in a sense, he does: he uses it to fly.The wind is a barrier against gravity, lol.

Aradia on the other hand is neck deep in time, more than Dave. She is able to get herself from Doomed Timelines and doesn't seem to bother with the timeloops like Dave does. She is, when we meet her, a ghost, a thing from the past that haunts the present. The Handmaid as well was a monster that was pretty much made one at the end of time and haunted the rest of it. When Aradia ascended, she became much more aware of her element... and rather a joyous person, a person of the moment. She explored places without time (the dream bubble) where Dave would not go and acted as a guide. She was able to entrap Jack in time itself, by slowing down or stopping Jack's personal time, something we never saw Dave do.

Jane, likewise, has shown a propensity to keep herself alive so far and beating some very bad odds, better that a great number of others.

While God-Tier makes one a fully realized TITLE of ASPECT, Maids-and Heirs, in a different way, are masters of their aspect. Both become their element through different means-by inheriting (Heir), a passive action and acting for it directly as a cleaner (maid) or servant. Aradia herself mentions serving as well, but serving "our" cause. Although John himself uses it actively, he acts as a supporter, even as he leads-as a leader sometimes does.

So, correction:

Thief+/Rogue- (Stealing the aspect)
Prince+/Bard- (Destroying the aspect)
Witch+/Sylph- (Manipulation of the aspect)
Maid+/Heir- (Being the aspect)
Knight+/Page- (Defending the aspect)
Mage+/Seer- (Perceiving the aspect)

WQ, you are epic win. EDIT: ...but why are you holding the king's scepter?

On a very unrelated note, this folder is awesome. SCOURG3 S1ST3RS FOR L1F3

http://imgur.com/a/iUOtm#222

Last edited by Anthiena (02-23-2012 04:53:01 AM)

#73 | Back to Top02-23-2012 10:40:17 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

H-uh.  If I read that last update right, the Page isn't dead anymore either.  Maybe this is not Maid of Life shit at all, and there's just a rule that you can't kill a player's dreamself before their player enters the Medium.

The Queen's got a scepter.  Interesting.  And we saw a few updates ago, I think, that the Black Queen wasn't wearing a ring.  Maybe the Kings and Queens have switched implements this time around?

#74 | Back to Top02-23-2012 01:09:46 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

satyreyes wrote:

H-uh.  If I read that last update right, the Page isn't dead anymore either

...uh, nope. Just the Maid. That was Jane you saw there with Jack and the queen.

#75 | Back to Top02-23-2012 01:13:49 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Anthiena wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

H-uh.  If I read that last update right, the Page isn't dead anymore either

...uh, nope. Just the Maid. That was Jane you saw there with Jack and the queen.

Well, yes.  But... well, I'm probably reading it wrong.  The Dignitary tells Jack that "the deceased child count is still sitting at zero over here."  I read that to mean that all the kids are alive.  But the Dignitary is probably only talking about the Derse dreamers, Roxy and Dirk.  So Jake's dream self is probably still dead.

Board footer