This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top01-29-2007 10:09:34 AM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Re: "Oh, the Places You'll Go" A Travel Thread

Giovanna wrote:

I really want to go to Italy to celebrate my graduation but that's not for another three years. emot-frown

Okay, then, I can wait and in three years we'll go (and whoever else). Fly into Milan, visit my cousin, do the northern thing, go south, see Sey, go back to Rome then fly home. It'll be the best damn graduation ever, you'll see.

Giovanna wrote:

iruka wrote:

and I'm pretty damn sure you know all about it - the Prague Astronomical Clock. etc-love

I'm totally going to see that. etc-love
Not just 'cuz of the song, I swear. That thing is awesome. etc-love etc-love

My mom went to Europe for the first time ever this year. She went to Prague and Vienna. She wrote me an email, 'hey, today we were in Prague and saw this really cool clock....' Yeah, Mom, I know the exact clock you mean.

#27 | Back to Top01-29-2007 12:30:55 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

iruka wrote:

Swarovski is sexy, so I can understand that etc-love

[hangs head] I am a total whore for Swarovski. I even belong to their Collector's Society. emot-gonk

iruka wrote:

Even if Germany has Oktoberfest, supposedly the best beer you can get in Prague. I don't know, I don't drink alcohol.

Ohhhh, there is this beautiful beer in Bavaria called Augustiner, which you can't get anywhere else. I fell in love with it very quickly, and I will have to go back during Oktoberfest to camp out in their tent. emot-rolleyes And Bavarian beer halls are an experience and a half, even if you don't drink. Particularly if you spend your first night in Germany getting trashed in the Hofbrauhaus, and the next afternoon you take a very serious Third Reich Walking Tour and end up back there being told: "This is where Hitler made one of his famous speeches."

...takes a little bit of the fun out of it, really. emot-frown

iruka wrote:

Clarice wrote:

You've just reminded me that I have to look at getting to Turkey on the twenty-fifth of April. ANZAC Day. Galipoli. All the Kiwis and Aussies go to Turkey to see where all our ancestors got slaughtered. Good for the kiddies, I understand. (And yes, I am being more flippant about this than I really am. And you should have seen me bawl my eyes out at Dachau, Nuremberg and Nagasaki; the peninsula is going to kill me.)

I had to go look it up in Wikipedia. emot-redface
It's okay that some things are remembered. It gives a small hope that we'll learn from our mistakes... but eh, as they say, history repeats itself.

Heh, don't worry -- ANZAC Day is only really known in Aussie and NZ anyway. It's our Veteran's Day, or Armistice Day. And yes, when in Nagasaki, I got the horrible sinking feeling of history repeating itself. I was by myself in a very quiet atomic bomb museum, as my friend wasn't up to a second trip through it, and at the end I walked into an unexpected picture of the Nazi rally grounds of Nuremberg (there's a bit of a story behind why they upset me so much) that was part of an explanation of why the atomic bombs were dropped, and I started bawling my eyes out. It was just that...the past hurts, but then I look at the present and just...what kind of future is out there? God knows.

iruka wrote:

Yeah, we've scattered all across the world because of the recent war and other things. emot-frown

I've been told tourists are pleasantly surprised by our English when they come here. emot-keke English is mandatory in elementary schools from either the 1st or 4th grade, and we're surrounded by it all the time (TV and the like). So I'm willing to bet that pretty much anyone one encounters on the street would be able to give directions at the very least.

Our hearts do melt into a puddle when a foreigner attempts to pronounce a phrase, though. etc-love

Hee, that's cool -- I felt so embarrassed in Europe when I was last there because although I can do a bit of French, I know no German or anything else of the sort, and I hated asking people to speak English to me. I try to pick up other languages, but I feel better doing it if I know I can revert to English if I get desperate. emot-biggrin And what you say reminds me of my mother, who is moving to France with no French and is freaking out. "Mum, trust me -- say "bonjour" and "merci" and "pardon" a lot, and try to start saying things in French, and they'll LOVE you for trying. Just don't walk in and say "ALL RIGHT WHO SPEAKS ENGLISH 'COS I AIN'T SPEAKING NO FRENCH!!!"" emot-tongue

Hmm, I have to go Wiki Croatian now and see what family of languages it comes from. emot-biggrin

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#28 | Back to Top01-29-2007 08:23:45 PM

Rushita
Rose Bride
Website

Clarice wrote:

And er, if you say your friend is named either Liz or Helen, I will freak out about how tiny a place teh internetz really is. emot-gonk

I pull out her address.  She is in Nagasaki, a region called "Gotoshi", on the island called "Goto Islands".  I see you were in Fukuoka instead.

http://www.rushita.com/images/Logo6.jpg

#29 | Back to Top01-30-2007 01:12:12 AM

iruka
Rose Smilee

Clarice wrote:

[hangs head] I am a total whore for Swarovski. I even belong to their Collector's Society. emot-gonk

:envy: I don't usually like sparkly stuff, but Swarovski is just so pretty! emot-redface

Clarice wrote:

Ohhhh, there is this beautiful beer in Bavaria called Augustiner, which you can't get anywhere else. I fell in love with it very quickly, and I will have to go back during Oktoberfest to camp out in their tent. emot-rolleyes And Bavarian beer halls are an experience and a half, even if you don't drink. Particularly if you spend your first night in Germany getting trashed in the Hofbrauhaus, and the next afternoon you take a very serious Third Reich Walking Tour and end up back there being told: "This is where Hitler made one of his famous speeches."

...takes a little bit of the fun out of it, really. emot-frown

I can imagine. emot-frown

Clarice wrote:

Hee, that's cool -- I felt so embarrassed in Europe when I was last there because although I can do a bit of French, I know no German or anything else of the sort, and I hated asking people to speak English to me. I try to pick up other languages, but I feel better doing it if I know I can revert to English if I get desperate. emot-biggrin And what you say reminds me of my mother, who is moving to France with no French and is freaking out. "Mum, trust me -- say "bonjour" and "merci" and "pardon" a lot, and try to start saying things in French, and they'll LOVE you for trying. Just don't walk in and say "ALL RIGHT WHO SPEAKS ENGLISH 'COS I AIN'T SPEAKING NO FRENCH!!!"" emot-tongue

Most Europeans know another language or two, so I can imagine they wouldn't have a problem with foreigners. Though there's always that myth of the snotty Frenchman who refuses to speak English. I don't know if it's true. emot-redface
And that's great advice that you gave your mom! emot-smile You just have to show that you're trying. I'm sure moving must be frightening, but she probably needn't worry that much; when you move somewhere and are surrounded by a language 24/7, you can't help but pick it up quickly. Well, at least that's what I'm told. emot-biggrin

Clarice wrote:

Hmm, I have to go Wiki Croatian now and see what family of languages it comes from. emot-biggrin

Oh, it's a Slavic language. emot-biggrin

#30 | Back to Top01-30-2007 02:03:35 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I love seeing everybody's pictures. They're lovely. Now I really want to see so many of these places you have spoken of...

Clarice, did you like Phoenix? emot-dance

I have been to the following places:

United Kingdom (London, mostly)
France (Paris, Avignon)
Germany (Berlin, Efrut)
The Netherlands (Amsterdam)
Czech Republic (Prague)
Italy (Venice, Florence, Rome, Sorrento)
Greece (Athens)
US (Various places)

#31 | Back to Top01-30-2007 06:11:25 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Clarice wrote:

"Mum, trust me -- say "bonjour" and "merci" and "pardon" a lot, and try to start saying things in French, and they'll LOVE you for trying. Just don't walk in and say "ALL RIGHT WHO SPEAKS ENGLISH 'COS I AIN'T SPEAKING NO FRENCH!!!"" emot-tongue

Yeah I think pretty much everyone likes it when you at least make the attempt. Which will suck for me when it's time for French, christ I fall all over myself trying to pronounce French. Also I blush a lot. emot-confused

I think it's because if I ever hear French spoken where I am, it's either in mockery (emot-mad) or someone's hitting on someone, so I feel like if I say 'merci' everyone will think I'm trying to get laid.

Might be true in France, I dunno how attractive the men are as a rule. emot-keke

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#32 | Back to Top01-30-2007 06:46:11 AM

Dani
IRG Messiah

I need to go to France. I've taken 6 years of French. It's the one foreign language I know! I've wanted to see the Loire Valley (with all the castles!) since 8th grade. I did go to Monte Carlo while I was in Italy because we drove along the coast line. I tried some French there but they just looked at me strangely and then replied in English. Pretty much everyone spoke English in Italy too. Well, at least I tried! emot-confused

#33 | Back to Top01-30-2007 03:32:45 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Yeah I think pretty much everyone likes it when you at least make the attempt. Which will suck for me when it's time for French, christ I fall all over myself trying to pronounce French. Also I blush a lot. emot-confused

I think it's because if I ever hear French spoken where I am, it's either in mockery (emot-mad) or someone's hitting on someone, so I feel like if I say 'merci' everyone will think I'm trying to get laid.

I don't speak French really, but I have been learning it off and on for a year -- and it took me a good while to wrap my tongue around it. Heh. In my experience, the French are perfectly pleasant if you try and speak French to them, no matter how badly -- at least you're trying. emot-biggrin And actually, I giggled a lot in France, because hearing "Et voilą!" and "Excusez-moi" used quite seriously for some reason just set me off. The poor French. As for "merci," seriously, they say it all the damn time anyway. emot-tongue

Giovanna wrote:

Might be true in France, I dunno how attractive the men are as a rule. emot-keke

...I spent a good deal of time staring at men in France. I mean, you like men in suits, yes...?

FRANCE WILL DESTROY EVERY PAIR OF PANTIES YOU OWN.

...you think I am kidding. OHOHOHO I AM NOT.

iruka wrote:

Most Europeans know another language or two, so I can imagine they wouldn't have a problem with foreigners. Though there's always that myth of the snotty Frenchman who refuses to speak English. I don't know if it's true. emot-redface

The French I met were fine, but I admittedly tried to speak French with them. Terrible French, but it amused them. emot-redface And I was both amused and insanely jealous of the Swiss; I wish I was raised in a country where it would be standard to speak up to five languages. emot-mad

iruka wrote:

Oh, it's a Slavic language. emot-biggrin

I despair of what my pronounciation of Croatian would be; I got one of my workmates to tell me some things in Lithuanian today and she couldn't stop laughing at my pronunication. It's worse than French, dammit! Even my German is better than this!

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#34 | Back to Top01-30-2007 03:51:19 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Clarice wrote:

Oh boy.

This could be a problem.

Perhaps I just won't wear panties when I'm in France. school-devil

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#35 | Back to Top01-30-2007 04:42:31 PM

iruka
Rose Smilee

Clarice wrote:

I despair of what my pronounciation of Croatian would be; I got one of my workmates to tell me some things in Lithuanian today and she couldn't stop laughing at my pronunication. It's worse than French, dammit! Even my German is better than this!

It's a tough language to pronounce for the English-speaking folk... and learn, too, since it has some grammatical elements not present in English.

#36 | Back to Top01-30-2007 05:05:44 PM

Kealdrea
Anthy Assailer

I've only been to Canada, which isn't very far from where I live. x.x I wish I could go somewhere overseas, at least once.

Jitsu wa hitode desu...

#37 | Back to Top01-30-2007 10:20:19 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I've been to China... But I'm Chinese so its not really that eventful for me... It was full of Chinese people and scary food. I nearly starved myself. 

I've also been to Canada, Florida and got dragged all over New York. At least NYC was enjoyable. (gets very carsick)

I was going to go to England with my university but am too sickly. emot-gonk
I'm not contagious just... unhealthy. emot-frown

unlike the rest of south texas, I've never been to Mexico. Though I probably don't have to since it seems to be coming to me. ~__~

I would however kill to go to HongKong to go visit my brothers.

#38 | Back to Top01-31-2007 02:23:30 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Clarice wrote:

Tamago wrote:

JAPAN WILL STEAL EVERY PAIR OF PANTIES YOU OWN.

Here is a piece of trivia, Japan has the highest number per population of pantie thieves in the world.

#39 | Back to Top03-28-2007 07:42:13 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

well i want to travel too and thanks to yall the list keeps growing.... Europe, India, Australia, Las Vegas, Hong Kong and other. I have been to Montreal i would like to visit it again. Due to having to do fucking community service project some shitty place in some poor part of Mexico i hated it. anyway i have been to a few places in the US but the most resent was to Miami for spring break it was fun.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#40 | Back to Top07-13-2007 08:48:43 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Dani, you're just cruel.

...but I was in Norway and Suecia emot-dance

I dream about countries:
1. Japan
2. India
3. Iceland

and Singapure. My father got offer to work there, but he said't  "no". Now I'm looking forward going there.

Cities:
1. Paris
2. Rome
3. Wien
4. Prague
5. Moscov
6. Berlin

damn, I just want to see everything!

Board footer