This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-07-2012 04:33:45 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

ITT we take apart political cliches

"The government is inefficient." Why do you want the government to be efficient? Do you want to live in a police state that badly?

Re: "Income inequality"

4chan's words, not mine:

People want a new phone and car every year, the full cable package, and a house so big that they'll gladly take at least thirty years to pay it off.
Then they want to turn around and bitch that the rich shouldn't have so much damn money. Fuck those people.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (10-07-2012 09:53:46 PM)

#2 | Back to Top10-07-2012 10:30:22 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: ITT we take apart political cliches

Overlord Morgus wrote:

4chan's words, not mine:

People want a new phone and car every year, the full cable package, and a house so big that they'll gladly take at least thirty years to pay it off.
Then they want to turn around and bitch that the rich shouldn't have so much damn money. Fuck those people.

Yeah! Fuck those people who want a phone! And a new car every yea.... wait.

Who the fuck gets a new car every year?

Not a new used car. A new car.

Show of hands. Anyone? Bueller?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#3 | Back to Top10-08-2012 12:26:53 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I'd like a phone that isn't several years old and falling apart. And can do more than text, because a texting package is all we can afford.

I'd like to not have to worry that my partner's car, which is a '96 model, will break down. It's a solid sturdy car that he got for pretty cheap, but man are the parts expensive.

I'd like to have more than just Netflix as the home TV entertainment, because there's a few channels that have shows I really like that are completely unavailable on it, but haha, TV. Wow, so expensive. I've also been living without it for pretty much 15 years, with occasional months-at-a-time I could utilize it.

I wouldn't mind having a house that has a kitchen big enough for more than one person to work in it, or a bathroom that had a shower, or heck, even two bathrooms! What luxury.

Seriously, what the fuck are you on about this time?

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#4 | Back to Top10-08-2012 12:35:03 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Yeah, income inequality.  Has nothing at all to do with lower class and the poor, it's just upper middle class people whining. Wanting a comfortable and secure life for you and you're loved ones sure is unrealistic and selfish of us.  How dare we.

#5 | Back to Top10-08-2012 02:47:24 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Overlord Morgus wrote:

4chan's words, not mine:

If you want insightful political commentary, you go on 7chan, not 4chan. school-eng101

I do know people who rush to get the newest phone every year, have the full cable package, and have 30 year mortgages. They're not the ones that complain about the rich, though. They're just doing their thing and overall accept the inevitable and permanent credit debt that comes with living in the 'modern age.' Especially when you're also raising crotchfruit.

But these people are not rich, nor really are they even middle class. The problem is that the middle class lifestyle is unobtainable without amassing credit debt. Credit in our society is treated as a source of income and a resource to use to maintain a lifestyle. I make very decent money and have no children and only one other person to support. We have new phones with the fuckoff huge dataplan and internet--that's it. No cable, no habitual eating out, no Netflix. I still don't make enough to come out in the black paycheck to paycheck.

Credit has allowed the cost of things to be such that you require it for most major purchases, instead of it being enough of a commodity that people choose instead to save up for things. I want to get a new television, but that means waiting months of saving up before I can do it without credit. On one hand, it should be that way, on the other, I'd have to spend half the time saving up if I wasn't swimming against a tide of people who are happy enough to throw it on their card.

Income equality is real, and it's a god damn mess, but it's also not an excuse for irresponsibility and people throwing their hands up in the air, credit in hand, every time they want something. If people lived within their means, it wouldn't take more than a decade before companies realized that to gain business, they would have to meet people in the middle. We bitch about the price of things, and forget that that's just as much our fault, for purchasing those things when we don't have the money.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top10-08-2012 03:07:41 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

But that's if you have credit in the first place.  There are lots of things I would purchase on credit -namely, having something there to help back me up in the case of an emergency.  If I needed 100 dollars for a few nights hotel space in a strange area, 300 for dental work or even the 700 I just had to spend on my dog's sudden and serious medical problems.  But I haven't passed a credit check in two years.  And that is entirely due to three things:  I don't enough money, my credit was damaged by trying to the do the right thing and apply for loans without a co-signer first, and AT&T fucked up and double-billed me for three months straight, sending me to a collection agency before they rectified their mistake.

Credit enough to do something with is such a luxury, that once you have it it's hard not to use it.  Because suddenly all those things that were unobtainable because payment plans are getting scarcer (no vet in Springfield has a payment plan, for example) finally are.  And hey, you get to make payments.  I also see many people buying expensive phones and nice make-up and video game consoles who live in shit conditions.  And that doesn't surprise me.  Because it is not the price of those small luxuries that is exorbitant, it's rent, cars, homes and the cost of living that is.  If you can't afford a nice place to live, you may still be able to afford smaller treats like an Xbox off of ebay, or some junk food every week.  Because people still want to live happy lives.  I mean, you could save that money and eventually have enough to get a house (not a nicer apartment, because the higher rent will eat at those savings too quickly without building equity), but you may not have the credit.  That's the problem my sister and brother in law had in purchasing a new home. Which they were never able to do.  They ended up building one instead because it was cheaper (they got help through their Hall).   

The credit cards that ARE easier to get, well, they are often predatory.

But we have all done crap like this.  Spend money we know we should have saved.  Purchased something outside our means.  And it's not just the "American Dream" pressure put on us.  We want to enjoy this life we are all working so hard to get through, and we are ashamed, so very ashamed of our own poverty.  Because it is implied in most political rhetoric that to be poor is to be lazy or uneducated.

[I only even got television because my internet went up to 45 a month here, and the new cable/internet package was only 50 dollars with completely free install and equipment.  The only other company that offers internet where I am at was wanting 45 month for internet as well, so I figured why not.  It gives my guests something to distract themselves with when they come over, since my tiny apartment is not super hospitable or properly furnished.)

#7 | Back to Top10-08-2012 06:20:42 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

The fundamental problem is the price system, IMO. It doesn't work if people can't find a way to shuffle the money around and keep it flowing, irrespective of how much waste and disruption the process causes, or the lack of justification for this activity. I would say that it's a measurement of a fundamentally unverifiable consensus, but that would be far too generous. And yet all the world's meaningful activity is beholden to its sorcery.

I also realize now how utterly stupid it is to expect people not to get angry about having a hard time getting by when the plutocracy seems to have so much money available for frivolous enjoyment. I sometimes ridicule liberalism as a shallow institution of moral self-congratulation for the upper middle class, but the discontent of the poor is obviously valid. They rarely appear in the public consciousness except as villains or buffoons, you never find an articulate "lower-class" character in modern media who isn't in some way criminal. Everybody who isn't in a penthouse or a New York brownstone is evil or pitiful. Obviously, this is an attempt to dehumanize/villanize the poor. It's so pervasive that most people don't see it as propaganda.

On the other hand:

http://i.imgur.com/dL2Ac.jpg

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (10-09-2012 03:53:25 PM)

#8 | Back to Top10-10-2012 07:34:11 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

From 4chan, re: Ayn Rand

But if we're all golden child artists and industrialists, who tills the fields?

Oh right, the people whose calling it is to till the fields, who love that work and take great pride in it. The Professional Field Tillers, whose destiny it is to till the fields, and whose big rough hands looks really sexy while they till the fields, and everyone agrees that they tilled those fields really good.

Oh wait, shit. There's no one like that. Because that's a fucking fantasy, and manual labor is done by the less wealthy in the service of the more-wealthy.

Rand theorizes a really nice skyscraper where we all live on the top floor, but the foundation doesn't exist. What foundation? The skyscraper will hold itself up; we all just have to stand up really tall.

And on perhaps a more abstract note: the ubermensch may or may not be a possibility, but being rich and self-important certainly isn't enough to earn you that title.

And finally, my words, not 4chan's:

It is common to deride the underclass as parasitic, when the truth is they are indispensible. They are the reminder to the lower and middle classes of the price of disobedience, that terrible things await them if they step off the treadmill. They're what keeps people in their jobs, they're the electrified wire that keeps the cows fenced in.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (10-11-2012 01:59:11 PM)

Board footer