This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-26-2014 11:28:10 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

[NEWS] Christian School Tells 8yo Girl She Is "Too Tomboyish"

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/too-tomboyis … ian-school

The grandparents of a little girl in central Virginia decided to remove her from the private, Christian school where she had been an excellent student after receiving a letter complaining that their granddaughter’s dress and behavior didn’t “follow suit with her God-ordained identity.”

Sunnie Kahle, 8, sports a short haircut, likes to wear jeans and T-shirts, and collects autographed baseballs, her grandparents told CBS affiliate WDBJ7. She also maintained a 4.0 average at Timberlake Christian School and steered clear of any disciplinary issues, save for her desire to wear boy’s pants as part of her school uniform. (According to the school’s dress code, both elementary boys and girls are allowed to wear pants, but only boys are allowed jeans.)

If only Sunnie was a few years older and had Utena's sass, she might have talked her way out of it. I guess the real world is not so forgiving.

Oh and it gets better, apparently the school reserves the right to expel students "practicing homosexual lifestyle or alternative gender identity" emot-rolleyes

What the hell.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#2 | Back to Top03-27-2014 12:27:32 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

Re: [NEWS] Christian School Tells 8yo Girl She Is "Too Tomboyish"

No Surprise. It is a Christian school and conformity to doctrine is required. She will fit in at like 95% of the schools out there. Plus, depending on her school district, she can go to a competitive school for FREE!

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#3 | Back to Top03-28-2014 01:56:04 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I can understand if she was breaking the dress code by wearing clothes with drugs,  alcohol, or cuss words on them but she's not hurting anybody by being a tomboy. It gives the rest of us Christians a bad name.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#4 | Back to Top03-31-2014 04:58:25 PM

McGreddy
Saionji Slapper

But of course, on this forum I must ask, does she want to grow up to be a prince?

#5 | Back to Top03-31-2014 09:16:20 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

McGreddy wrote:

But of course, on this forum I must ask, does she want to grow up to be a prince?

Obviously she was turning into the mega butch man-hating lesbian dyke Christ doesn't want her to be, so...probably. emot-rolleyes

Sometimes it seems to me like it doesn't matter, whether it's conforming to the standards of a Christian school or the social expectations set in public schools, the end result is always a lot of programming and setting a uniformity in a population. I don't know if I'm entirely far gone enough to think SHEEPLE BEING CHURNED OUT BY THE POWERS OF BUSINESS TO BE SERVANTS AND CONSUMERS, but I think society as a mass finds safety and self-preservation in uniformity. And if you're powerful enough to direct the education of a new generation, you probably don't have much to gain from them being completely independent of your input and expectations.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top04-09-2014 12:14:08 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Sometimes it seems to me like it doesn't matter, whether it's conforming to the standards of a Christian school or the social expectations set in public schools, the end result is always a lot of programming and setting a uniformity in a population. I don't know if I'm entirely far gone enough to think SHEEPLE BEING CHURNED OUT BY THE POWERS OF BUSINESS TO BE SERVANTS AND CONSUMERS, but I think society as a mass finds safety and self-preservation in uniformity. And if you're powerful enough to direct the education of a new generation, you probably don't have much to gain from them being completely independent of your input and expectations.

Speaking as someone who has some power to direct the education of a new generations, (but who is occasionally far gone enough to think SHEEPLE BEING CHURNED OUT BY THE POWERS OF BUSINESS etc. etc.) yes, it is easier to have kids who obey your every whim, and share your every opinion, and don't ask too many questions.  But I'm not so lazy that I would willingly place the importance of that ease over the importance of teaching them to be competent adults, and to me, that means developing their own identities and decision-making abilities.

I understand that there's always going to be some friction between what I want or need them to do and what they decide is best, not to mention times when they perceive this friction even when it's not there, either because they just don't ask questions or because they need an authority to push against, they want it to be unreasonable, and so they believe that we're making demands of them that we aren't.  I fully understand that having them be part of a group without the resources to allow them to split the group infinitely to pursue their own interests results in a series of hopelessly broken prisoners' dilemmas.  State law and our contract with the school mandates that it be so, not even getting into the instances where their judgment is just completely undeveloped, there are mistakes we can't let them make. ("No, you may not jump off the roof onto the concrete.  That's too dangerous.  Yes, I know you saw someone do it once.  Yes, I know they didn't get hurt.  I still can't let you.")

It's a delicate balance, and I think the role of educators boils down to creating the space for that friction to exist, and nurturing the child through it.  It's not easy for us, it's not easy for the kids, and it would be nice for things to be easier.  But from where I stand, the price would be too high.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

Board footer