This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-06-2013 06:41:49 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Videogames ARE an Art

Since the dawn of time, people have argued about stupid things.

This is not one of those things.

I've seen this question pop up more than I would care to see: Are videogames art?

Name a videogame. Any. Go ahead, I can wait.

Got one?

Okay, now remember that game throughout the rest of this.

Now, take away 75% of the game's action. What is it now?

A story? A painting? A vision?

Guess what: It's art.

In this note, I'll be defining what art is.

In Rhythm'd Prose.

Painting is an art.
Why?
Because it is escapist in nature.
You look at a painting and you see in it a truth that comes from deep inside your own mind.
You look at a painting and you see the essence of something that is reflected from your own mind.
Colored shapes. Pointillism. Abstract.
You experience something that is not there but is a creation of yourself through someone else.
You experience this outside of normal reality.
In real time.
Painting is an art.

Sculpture is an art.
Why?
You look at a sculpture and you see something that represents things outside itself.
You look at a sculpture and you imagine what it could have been.
A cellist. A hero. A home.
You see something that is not there but is a creation of yourself through someone else.
You see these things outside of normal reality.
In real time.
Sculpture is an art.

Music is an art.
Why?
You listen to a piece and you picture something that it could be the theme of.
You listen to a piece and you feel feelings that are not actually happening.
Jazz. Classical. Techno.
You feel something that is not there but is a creation of yourself through someone else.
You feel these things outside of normal reality.
In real time.
Music is an art.

Writing is an art.
Why?
You read words on a page and you imagine what all could be going on in this world.
You read words on a page and you imagine all the intricases of the characters and setting.
Brontë. Camus. Virgil.
You compose something that is not there but is a creation of yourself through someone else.
You compose these things outside of normal reality.
In real time.
Writing is an art.

Theatre is an art.
Why?
You see actors on a stage and you are drawn into a world of fantasy that exists outside this one.
You see actors on a stage and you feel what they are pretending to feel, pretending to know.
Shakespeare. Williams. Rostand.
You take in something that is not there but is a creation of yourself through many else.
You take in something outside of normal reality.
In real time.
Theatre is an art.

Film is an art.
Why?
You watch a flickering screen and you are sucked into a world that exists outside this one.
You watch a flickering screen and you are taken into a realm outside the status quo.
Hitchcock. Scorsese. Brooks.
You are shown something that is not there but is a creation of yourself through someone else.
You are shown something outside of normal reality.
In real time.
Film is an art.

Videogames are an art.
Why?
You interact with digital impulses as your character faces a world that does not truly exist.
You interact with digital impulses as your character saves the day and the world from destruction.
Pacman. Metal Gear. Mario.
You are in direct control of something that is not there but is a creation of yourself through someone else.
You are in direct control of something outside of normal reality.
In real time.

Videogames embody all of these elements.
They paint a picture.
They construct buildings.
They conduct a score.
They create a story.
They compose characters.
All in the hopes of taking you away from the mundane existence and showing you something potentially sublime.
Do they always accomplish this?
No.
But neither do other art forms.
Imperfection is human,
But even involving yourself in these art forms for a moment takes you away and makes you think of something.
In real time
Of something that may or may not be there.
Something that you feel.
Something that you imagine.
Something that you grasp and toss about.
A whole new world for you to mess about in.
Shooting down the enemy. Rescuing a princess. Saving two planets. Training for the Olympics. Capturing wild beasts. Charging into a fierce battle. Captaining a ship. Diving into the character's mind's history.
It's all there.
Now go live it.

Videogames are an art.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/582247_10151382676275781_1568644954_n.jpg

#2 | Back to Top01-15-2013 12:57:13 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Videogames ARE an Art

The only videogame I have ever seen that I would be 100% certain about calling "art" is The Void.

I honestly don't know how to categorize it otherwise. I love the game (despite having to patch it to make it easier so I didn't die within two seconds) and I think it does a lot of things that videogames normally don't do. That doesn't make it art, though. What does make it art is that through every point, you're led to question things you believe, and think about things larger than yourself.

I could go on a very long rant about videogames and art, but due to my state of post-birthday drunkenness, I will not inflict that on you. Maybe someday when I'm sober.

Wikipedia Synopsis wrote:

The game is about a soul that accidentally lingered in the Void, before absolute death. The Void is a purgatory-like place, in which the most valuable thing is Color, a liquid that represents lifeforce. Color is scarce and famine is a usual thing for its dwellers — beautiful naked Sisters and deformed monstrous Brothers. Color is a universal resource in the game — at the same time it is the hero's health, armor, stats and ammo. With the help of Nameless Sister, the soul finds out that there is a way to escape and be reincarnated again on the surface, but in order to do this the player must disguise himself as one of the Brothers and eventually confront them.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top01-15-2013 08:11:40 AM

Calamity
High Tripper

Shameless plug I suppose after the Void coming up but another game by Ice-Pick Lodge that I suppose I would also consider "art" to be Pathologic. Yes it is flawed what with being mired with a shoddy translation (oddly enough, the poor translation sometimes adds to the completely surreal nature of the game, once you figure out what you're supposed to be doing). It's very different from the Void but is still an absolutely amazing game, minor issues aside. I'd potentially also throw my hat in for the Path. Yes there's not a whole lot of "game" to it but its presentation, atmosphere and metaphoric way of handling the Little Red Riding Hood story sits nicely with me (plus much like both Pathologic and the Void it has an amazing soundtrack).

#4 | Back to Top01-15-2013 09:05:18 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Calamity wrote:

I'd potentially also throw my hat in for the Path. Yes there's not a whole lot of "game" to it but its presentation, atmosphere and metaphoric way of handling the Little Red Riding Hood story sits nicely with me (plus much like both Pathologic and the Void it has an amazing soundtrack).

I like when video games are still games, though.

#5 | Back to Top01-16-2013 01:53:43 PM

Dazmi
Miki Molester
Website

Interactive exhibits have been common place in art galleries for decades and weren't unheard of prior. If that is considered art, then why not Ultima V? Why not Thief 2?

If you ask me, "art" does not need to be "complex" or "classy" in order to be art; it is art simply by merit of being a tangible form of creative expression. What makes something "art" are the things that draw you to it. Although different from say, movies, a video game can establish and develop worlds and characters as well as any other medium. If that's not art, that's at least worth merit.

#6 | Back to Top01-16-2013 02:54:35 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

We have lots of topics on IRG that deserves to be treated at book length; this one may be more like a trilogy. emot-smile  The problem is that defining art is famously challenging.  It's more elusive to define than almost anything else, to the point where it sometimes feels like it's safest to say that everything is art.  But that's not a very satisfying answer, because some things feel a lot more like art than others.

Florence's OP suggests that art "shows you something that is not there" and "takes you outside of normal reality," and this is maybe a good start.  But I can look at clouds and see dragons, which clearly exist only in my imagination, outside of normal reality -- but that doesn't make clouds art.  Georg Cantor can write a mathematical proof in a domain far outside my everyday experience that is so elegant it takes my breath away -- but that doesn't make a mathematical proof art.  Right?  Or conversely, a Realist portrait or still life can be ruthlessly mundane, containing nothing that wasn't there in the first place, and yet we still feel that it's art.  Marcel Duchamp famously presented an ordinary urinal to the world, named it Fountain, and said "this is art."  And what about something like cooking?  We hear about "the art of cooking," and clearly cooking can be a creative act, but enjoying an expertly cooked meal certainly does not take you outside of normal reality.  Is cooking art or isn't it?

So not everything that is escapist is art, and not everything that is art is escapist.

My own first try at defining art would be to say that art is an expression in some medium that is designed by an intelligent being to produce an aesthetic experience in an intelligent being.  I think this definition takes care of the specific problem areas from before: clouds are not designed by an intelligent being, and a mathematical proof is not designed to produce an aesthetic response, so these things aren't art; but Realist portraits and avant-garde urinals evince self-expression by their choice of subject and try to induce, respectively, an aesthetic appreciation of the painting's trueness to life, and an aesthetically provocative form of confusion or rebellion, so these things are art.  This definition would also include cooking as a form of art -- even cooking from a recipe, where the self-expression comes from your choice of recipe.

By that definition, video games certainly are art -- but so is almost everything else, as long as it's made by a human being to emotionally affect human beings, from love letters to advertisements, from shoes to MySpace pages, from action figures to nicely trimmed lawns.  Is all that stuff really art?  So I don't know how well my definition really captures what we mean by art; certainly it doesn't do a very good job distinguishing core arts like painting and music from edge cases like lawns.

I invite anyone to share how they would define art.  Can you find something more satisfying than my overbroad definition?

Last edited by satyreyes (01-16-2013 03:03:12 PM)

#7 | Back to Top01-16-2013 03:47:02 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

fart wrote:

My own first try at defining art would be to say that art is an expression in some medium that is designed by an intelligent being to produce an aesthetic experience in an intelligent being.  I think this definition takes care of the specific problem areas from before: clouds are not designed by an intelligent being, and a mathematical proof is not designed to produce an aesthetic response, so these things aren't art; but Realist portraits and avant-garde urinals evince self-expression by their choice of subject and try to induce, respectively, an aesthetic appreciation of the painting's trueness to life, and an aesthetically provocative form of confusion or rebellion, so these things are art.  This definition would also include cooking as a form of art -- even cooking from a recipe, where the self-expression comes from your choice of recipe.

By that definition, video games certainly are art -- but so is almost everything else, as long as it's made by a human being to emotionally affect human beings, from love letters to advertisements, from shoes to MySpace pages, from action figures to nicely trimmed lawns.  Is all that stuff really art?  So I don't know how well my definition really captures what we mean by art; certainly it doesn't do a very good job distinguishing core arts like painting and music from edge cases like lawns.

Yeah I'm pretty much stealing this.  And all those things mentioned in italics I would consider art, but much like video games, in some circumstances by no means high art.  After all, to say something is art is not to say that it is pretty, or even well crafted.  Shitty pencil drawings on Deviantart of OC Sonic characters are most certainly art, but no one is saying that they are good art.  All (or at least the vast majority) video games fulfill Sat's criteria, but some do it well and others do not, sometimes regardless of effort involved.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (01-16-2013 03:47:39 PM)

#8 | Back to Top01-16-2013 05:16:21 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

satyreyes wrote:

Florence's OP suggests that art "shows you something that is not there" and "takes you outside of normal reality," and this is maybe a good start.  But I can look at clouds and see dragons, which clearly exist only in my imagination, outside of normal reality -- but that doesn't make clouds art.  Georg Cantor can write a mathematical proof in a domain far outside my everyday experience that is so elegant it takes my breath away -- but that doesn't make a mathematical proof art.  Right?  Or conversely, a Realist portrait or still life can be ruthlessly mundane, containing nothing that wasn't there in the first place, and yet we still feel that it's art.  Marcel Duchamp famously presented an ordinary urinal to the world, named it Fountain, and said "this is art."  And what about something like cooking?  We hear about "the art of cooking," and clearly cooking can be a creative act, but enjoying an expertly cooked meal certainly does not take you outside of normal reality.  Is cooking art or isn't it?

But hard math gets me so wet!

Okay, srsly, just to clarify, my thesis (should have made it clearer, I apologize), is that art is something that shows you what is not there (in the present sense and the figurative), takes you outside of normal reality and is created by another person(s).

Art, though, can have many different definitions to fit the individual and their tastes. However, I was sticking to generally known mediums. Cooking and trolling crossed my mind, but I didn't write about them. Perhaps I should...

Cooking's main art is in its presentation. Beans wouldn't make great art (but some hipsters dig that), but a well-prepared dish with fancy leaves and sauce swirls could edge culinary presentation towards art, in the classical sense.

Landscaping could be art in that it's sculpture. A lawn, no, unless there was some design to it. A normal lawn doesn't take us outside of life. It's clearly there, as you're seeing the normal lawn in real time. However, I guess someone with high enough ineptitude could try and convince people that they're trying to show the world the mundane, but that requires no work, only an explanation.

Clouds are not art because, as stated previously, they don't fulfill all three criteria. Clouds are not made by someone else; they are natural happenings subjected to probability. Yes, one can see beauty in clouds, and maybe be taken off to where things are fluffy and shit, but, again, not made by a human.

HRM Duchamp did that urinal during his Dadaist period while in New York. New York's Dada was more ironic and lacking message than the European Dada, which focused on disillusionment. Would that not debunk some of their stuff, then?

A tough point is math. Math is fucking awesome, but that's not why I'm considering it.

Math is man-made. Math is, in the literal sense, not presently here. Math takes you outside of perceived reality. In a sense, all three criteria are achieved. But could it still be art?

I'm slightly biased because I see so much beauty in math. It understands the real, unreal, imaginary, and is precise. There is always an answer to every problem (Undefined and No Solution are answers), and it can be checked again and again and again and still be correct.

The problem is that math doesn't have an aspect of self-expression. It's end goal is to realize something about a problem, to define. I think that's where math fails to be art.

Still gets me wet, though.

satyrdybatyr wrote:

And this is where things kind of get tricky. emot-frown

Not critiquing your definition, as it covers the basics, albeit a tad American Heritage-esque.

The main problem now is using either definition to distinguish what is art and what isn't.

By your definition, anything man-made created to affect human beings emotionally is art. That takes out shoes (unless they're frescos or something), action figures (while man-made, don't elicit an emotional appeal at face value), lawns (unless there's a damn good explanation), advertisements [man-made, but don't appeal to emotions 100% (videographer myself, made ads, studied it, and, as a panel, we've found ads do pathos-by-association rather than direct appeal)], MySpace pages (man-made, but don't have that face-value pathos). Love letters are where it gets tricky with yours. By not covering the "escapist" idea and the "product of imagination" bits, it lets these things through. However, under mine, they fall.

Love letters are written works by another person meant to appeal to someone's emotions. Check. 
Love letters show you something that isn't there. Check.
Love letters are escapist in nature. Errnk.

While love letters do show the person reading them what isn't there, the setting is still inside normal reality. It's an appeal to the "coulda," saying what things could be like here "with you in my life," etc.

"But wait, what about the bard? His 154 sonnets are sort of love letter-y, right, Florence?" I hear you mumble. That is true. The Bard did love to woo with words.

The difference? Rhythm, meter, rhyme. Shakey-poo eloquently sewed together words to bring one out of normal reality just ever so slightly. People didn't normally talk in rhymes back then. Would've been fucking awesome if they did, but they didn't. Granted, while this may seem like a small distinction, it kind of matters.

I'm not being defensive, but I do think that my definition holds stronger and nit-picks more than a broader stroke, which is how I think it should be. Good law comes from narrow-scoped rulings.

However, should anyone offer a better definition, I'd be happy to consider it thoroughly and revise.

Shit, now my brain hurts. emot-frown

#9 | Back to Top01-16-2013 06:29:16 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Florence, I admire the effort to come up with a narrower definition of art than mine!  But I don't think I've completely understood the definition you're proposing -- especially what you mean by "outside of normal reality" -- so let me ask a couple questions to clarify! emot-wink

Florence's definition of art wrote:

Art is something that (1) shows you what is not there (in the present sense and the figurative), (2) takes you outside of normal reality and (3) is created by another person(s).

To begin with, what about those Realist still lifes I mentioned?  It seems to me like they fail (2).  There's nothing about a still life, drawn true to life, that takes you outside of reality, unless you just mean that you're paying attention to the painting instead of the world around you, in which case a pencil can take you outside of reality if you fidget with it instead of paying attention to the lecture.

Cooking's main art is in its presentation. Beans wouldn't make great art (but some hipsters dig that), but a well-prepared dish with fancy leaves and sauce swirls could edge culinary presentation towards art, in the classical sense.

How do fancy leaves and sauce swirls show you what is not there or take you outside of normal reality?  emot-confused  What alternate reality do you see in a salad?

HRM Duchamp did that urinal during his Dadaist period while in New York. New York's Dada was more ironic and lacking message than the European Dada, which focused on disillusionment. Would that not debunk some of their stuff, then?

At the time, Duchamp's urinal was certainly a controversial piece, precisely because it raised the question of what art is.  It's likely that Duchamp submitted it in an ironic or iconoclastic spirit precisely in order to provoke people into asking this kind of question.  But by today it's pretty well accepted that Fountain was not only art, but great art.  It seems to have been very successful at inciting aesthetic outrage, which is enough to satisfy my definition.  Does Fountain satisfy your definition?  Can a urinal take you outside of normal reality?  (Not that you have to agree with the consensus of art historians!)

The problem is that math doesn't have an aspect of self-expression. It's end goal is to realize something about a problem, to define. I think that's where math fails to be art.

But self-expression wasn't part of your definition.  Is there a part 4 of your definition?

The difference? Rhythm, meter, rhyme. Shakey-poo eloquently sewed together words to bring one out of normal reality just ever so slightly. People didn't normally talk in rhymes back then. Would've been fucking awesome if they did, but they didn't. Granted, while this may seem like a small distinction, it kind of matters.

So you don't believe that free verse without rhyme or meter is art?  Or if free verse brings you out of reality, where is the line between that and a love letter?  If a love letter says "I love you more than Captain Picard loves Earl Grey tea," which brings you out of reality into science fiction, does that make the love letter art, or is it just really sweet?  Again, I don't think I really understand what you mean by "outside of normal reality."

Okay, fair is fair -- now I need to talk about my definition, because I don't think you understood me either! emot-smile

My proposed definition of art wrote:

Art is an expression in some medium that is designed by an intelligent being to produce an aesthetic experience in an intelligent being.

Florence wrote:

By your definition, anything man-made created to affect human beings emotionally is art. That takes out shoes (unless they're frescos or something), action figures (while man-made, don't elicit an emotional appeal at face value), lawns (unless there's a damn good explanation), advertisements [man-made, but don't appeal to emotions 100% (videographer myself, made ads, studied it, and, as a panel, we've found ads do pathos-by-association rather than direct appeal)], MySpace pages (man-made, but don't have that face-value pathos). Love letters are where it gets tricky with yours. By not covering the "escapist" idea and the "product of imagination" bits, it lets these things through.

I think the confusion is coming from the phrase "an aesthetic experience," which I define very broadly because I don't want to let any forms of art slip through the cracks.  Roughly, I mean that your emotions are moved by something you perceive with your senses or apprehend with your judgment.  Seeing a pair of new shoes and anticipating how they will feel when your feet slide into them for the first time is an aesthetic experience.  Seeing a Batman action figure and viscerally wanting to grab it off the shelf because you want to make him do battle with your cat is an aesthetic experience.  Watching an ad for a beauty product and feeling insecure because you don't look like the people in the ad is an aesthetic experience.  The shoes, action figure, and ad were all designed with the intention of making you have these experiences, or similar ones.  That makes them art under my definition (which I've already admitted is a little broader than I'm comfortable with).  I certainly don't want to exclude pathos-by-association from aesthetic experiences, since most art -- including all instrumental music, for instance -- is associative and not a direct appeal!

Now here's the punchline.  I think it's possible that when you say "takes you outside of normal reality," you mean almost exactly the same thing I mean when I say "produces an aesthetic experience."  I can't think of any other reason why you're willing to call a salad art under your definition.  Let me put it to you this way, and if you agree then I think our definitions are almost exactly the same.  Let's say I keep my lawn carefully groomed because, when my neighbors pass by, I want them to look at the lawn and smell the grass clippings and smile and say to themselves "this is a nice neighborhood to live in."  That's an aesthetic experience, so for my definition, that's enough for art.  What does your definition say?  Are my neighbors briefly taken outside of normal reality by my groundskeeping?

Last edited by satyreyes (01-16-2013 06:40:36 PM)

#10 | Back to Top01-16-2013 06:53:18 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

balls wrote:

And all those things mentioned in italics I would consider art, but much like video games, in some circumstances by no means high art.  After all, to say something is art is not to say that it is pretty, or even well crafted.  Shitty pencil drawings on Deviantart of OC Sonic characters are most certainly art, but no one is saying that they are good art.

Meanwhile, the Duck King is smart as usual: even if something is "art" by some very broad definition like mine, that doesn't mean it's good art.  And I think it's fair to say that most people often use the word "art" to mean "good art."  Architecture is a form of art; a Frank Lloyd Wright house is certainly art; but a Pizza Hut building is... ugh.  If sorely pressed, we might agree that it's technically "art," because the building is designed to evoke an emotion (by way of brand recognition), but we sure aren't thinking of Pizza Hut when we talk about art in architecture.

So maybe the question of this thread could be reframed.  Granted that video games are at least "art" like a Pizza Hut building is art, can they ever be art like a Frank Lloyd Wright building is art?  Is there anything intrinsic to the medium that means video games can't be good art?  Some critics think so -- including, famously, Roger Ebert -- but his reasoning seems confused and muddled to me and many others.  Or if video games can be good art, are there any video games that have already proven it, or is the medium's potential unproven so far?  What would even make a video game good art?

#11 | Back to Top01-17-2013 10:05:37 AM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

bigbooties wrote:

To begin with, what about those Realist still lifes I mentioned?  It seems to me like they fail (2).  There's nothing about a still life, drawn true to life, that takes you outside of reality, unless you just mean that you're paying attention to the painting instead of the world around you, in which case a pencil can take you outside of reality if you fidget with it instead of paying attention to the lecture.

Still life depicts something that is not there in the present. However, they could only be escapist if they take someone out of the present and into a different mindset, perhaps. Still life might be the hardest to define by my definitions. emot-frown

SirLancelot wrote:

How do fancy leaves and sauce swirls show you what is not there or take you outside of normal reality? emot-confused   What alternate reality do you see in a salad?

Problemo Numero Two. The sauce swirls and fancy leaves are just pleasing to the eye, so there's beauty in it. So maybe I was wrong in thinking that cooking is art, by my definitions. emot-frown

Pasatryization wrote:

At the time, Duchamp's urinal was certainly a controversial piece, precisely because it raised the question of what art is.  It's likely that Duchamp submitted it in an ironic or iconoclastic spirit precisely in order to provoke people into asking this kind of question.  But by today it's pretty well accepted that Fountain was not only art, but great art.  It seems to have been very successful at inciting aesthetic outrage, which is enough to satisfy my definition.  Does Fountain satisfy your definition?  Can a urinal take you outside of normal reality?  (Not that you have to agree with the consensus of art historians!)

Does "Fountain" satisfy my definition? Yes. Made by someone else (technically), escapist in nature (thinking outside the cake), and shows you something that isn't there.

Do I like "Fountain" and the fact that it fits my definition? Hell no. It's degrading to art, in my opinion. He turned a urinal on its back and signed it. Yes, it made people question what art is, but does something that questions the current state of art obtain art status?

Ol'BlueEyes wrote:

But self-expression wasn't part of your definition.  Is there a part 4 of your definition?

There's just a big problem with trying to define art in an artsy way. Being semi-poetic makes things harder to describe logically. emot-confused

satyreyes wrote:

So you don't believe that free verse without rhyme or meter is art?  Or if free verse brings you out of reality, where is the line between that and a love letter?  If a love letter says "I love you more than Captain Picard loves Earl Grey tea," which brings you out of reality into science fiction, does that make the love letter art, or is it just really sweet?  Again, I don't think I really understand what you mean by "outside of normal reality."

Now I truly think I need to go back and rethink my definition. Logic and passion don't mix too well emot-frown

MastyrSatyr wrote:

I think the confusion is coming from the phrase "an aesthetic experience," which I define very broadly because I don't want to let any forms of art slip through the cracks.  Roughly, I mean that your emotions are moved by something you perceive with your senses or apprehend with your judgment.  Seeing a pair of new shoes and anticipating how they will feel when your feet slide into them for the first time is an aesthetic experience.  Seeing a Batman action figure and viscerally wanting to grab it off the shelf because you want to make him do battle with your cat is an aesthetic experience.  Watching an ad for a beauty product and feeling insecure because you don't look like the people in the ad is an aesthetic experience.  The shoes, action figure, and ad were all designed with the intention of making you have these experiences, or similar ones.  That makes them art under my definition (which I've already admitted is a little broader than I'm comfortable with).  I certainly don't want to exclude pathos-by-association from aesthetic experiences, since most art -- including all instrumental music, for instance -- is associative and not a direct appeal!

Now here's the punchline.  I think it's possible that when you say "takes you outside of normal reality," you mean almost exactly the same thing I mean when I say "produces an aesthetic experience."  I can't think of any other reason why you're willing to call a salad art under your definition.  Let me put it to you this way, and if you agree then I think our definitions are almost exactly the same.  Let's say I keep my lawn carefully groomed because, when my neighbors pass by, I want them to look at the lawn and smell the grass clippings and smile and say to themselves "this is a nice neighborhood to live in."  That's an aesthetic experience, so for my definition, that's enough for art.  What does your definition say?  Are my neighbors briefly taken outside of normal reality by my groundskeeping?

You know, I think now our definitions are closer than before, now that you describe yours a bit more. That does force me to have to broaden, though. Even though I hate compromising, I do think that what we're thinking is more similar than different. emot-aaa

sǝʎǝɹʎʇɐs wrote:

balls wrote:

And all those things mentioned in italics I would consider art, but much like video games, in some circumstances by no means high art.  After all, to say something is art is not to say that it is pretty, or even well crafted.  Shitty pencil drawings on Deviantart of OC Sonic characters are most certainly art, but no one is saying that they are good art.

Meanwhile, the Duck King is smart as usual: even if something is "art" by some very broad definition like mine, that doesn't mean it's good art.  And I think it's fair to say that most people often use the word "art" to mean "good art."  Architecture is a form of art; a Frank Lloyd Wright house is certainly art; but a Pizza Hut building is... ugh.  If sorely pressed, we might agree that it's technically "art," because the building is designed to evoke an emotion (by way of brand recognition), but we sure aren't thinking of Pizza Hut when we talk about art in architecture.

Dude, you have no idea how much I would love a scale for art status. There is bound to be some way to rate art on a scale, like the Mohs scale for mineral hardness. There is bound to be certain criteria that things should meet before being proclaimed as art for that medium.

Wanna make one? school-sherlock

#12 | Back to Top01-17-2013 11:18:54 AM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

What about the perception of art as divorced of intent?  Back to the lawn example.  Suppose Satyr cuts his grass for the purpose of following some neighborhood code that fines residents for allowing grass to grow longer than a couple inches.  He diligently mows his lawn, purely to avoid this fine, but his neighbor still has the aesthetic experience of the fresh grass smell, the bright colors, etc.,.

I would still classify this as art.  The definition is easier to work with because you don't get bogged down by debates regarding the intent of Duchamp's Fountain.  He may have wanted to shut down aesthetic experience and criticize artistic labels.  This becomes unimportant.

This also goes back to the idea of art for its own sake, not so much in the sense that only true art exists for its own sake, but that one can divorce intent or the experiences of others in defining it.  Art is less for its own sake and more what an individual makes of it.

The problem, of course, then becomes that these arguments defining art seem less important.  If author intent no longer matters, you can't really criticize the views of the consumer, and art is just--whatever you make of it.  Though I don't quite agree with this.  Divorcing intent makes classifying art a richer subject because people get away with their own definitions, and talking about it makes you think more critically about what an aesthetic experience is or whether or not a video game's functionality as a means of criticizing WWII (from the consumer's perspective) has any bearing on whether or not its art.

I guess my question is--why can't the bold part of the definition

Satyreyes wrote:

art is an expression in some medium that is designed by an intelligent being to produce an aesthetic experience in an intelligent being

be replaced by "and produces"?

#13 | Back to Top01-17-2013 01:38:09 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Kale, neat idea.  It does seem like one desirable property of a definition of art is that we can apply it without trying to read the creator's mind.  Certainly that's how I prefer to analyze art; what matters there is ordinarily what is actually written (or painted, or played, or whatever), not what the author may have intended to communicate.  So I like where you're coming from.  But I'm worried that this change will broaden the definition of art even more; it seems tantamount to saying "art is anything made by a person that makes someone feel something."  That would include, for instance, an elegant mathematical proof, a freshly delivered cardboard box, an elevator ridden by a claustrophobic person, a discarded inner tube in a rainy alley that strikes a passing poet as unbearably tragic, and possibly a cute baby (depending on how broad "made by a person" is).  The definition of art I suggested is already uncomfortably broad to me, and expanding it to include things that were not made with an eye towards affecting others makes it much broader than I myself want to go.

As a sidebar to that, I think "found art" (like the inner tube) can be art, but it only becomes art when a person presents it to others to provoke an aesthetic experience.  Clearly a photograph or painting of the inner tube is art.  I think it's even art if the observer walks away, intentionally not disturbing the scene, in hopes that someone else will stumble on the inner tube and have the same experience.  But I don't think it's art if it's not invested with the human intention to make someone feel something.  Yeah, unfortunately, this insistence has the result that when I stumble on the inner tube and feel sad, I can't know whether the inner tube is art that someone left there (or placed there) on purpose to make me feel sad, or whether it's just an inner tube.  This result is counterintuitive.  But I think it's not as counterintuitive as saying that the inner tube is art before any human interacts with it.

Very briefly, one other problem with getting away from intent and focusing only on how people respond to something is that we get into sticky territory where you say that a Grecian urn in a museum is art because it moves you, and I say that it can't be art because it has no emotional impact on me at all.  (This is true.  Grecian urns leave me completely cold.)  So changing "to produce" to "and produces" just exchanges one kind of subjectivity for another.  emot-frown  I think it is probably inevitable that art will be subjective, but it would be nice if we could agree that the Grecian urn is art because it was designed with an eye towards an aesthetic response, even if it didn't actually achieve one.

#14 | Back to Top01-17-2013 03:53:44 PM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

I suppose that's part of my issue.  I would rather include than exclude.  It's more difficult to determine whether or not something was designed with artistic intent than it is to determine whether or not something creates an aesthetic response.  As with the grecian urn, one might even argue that they were designed more to tell a story than to represent some kind of art.  And is that story supposed to be artistic or just a record of history?  Is the grecian urn really art by your definition?

Is the emotional gratification one gets when presented a math proof the same thing as an aesthetic response?  If so, I argue that a mathematician could intend to inspire this response or even feel it during his process.  When it comes to math, you can end up proving a lot of things just because they're cool, not necessarily because they're useful or you can foresee a use for them.  Is that distinction worth noting?

The argument of art becomes more about what constitutes an aesthetic response rather than whose response gets to determine what is art.  So if someone receives an aesthetic response from a grecian urn, even if it's not me, then it's art.  By your definition, you only need intent.  So if the grecian urn is intended to evoke an emotional response, and it doesn't--in anyone at all--it's still art (if a tree falls in a forest...).  This is curious for me.  I suppose, however, that it is the one area where your definition is broader than mine.

I'd rather categorize art by some measure of success rather than intent.  It's okay if an inner tube wasn't intended to evoke an aesthetic response, as long as it does.  In someone.  A sense of consensus then begins to form about certain objects like grecian urns, and that's how they end up in museums, rather than with regards to intent.  Of course, not everything that isn't in a museum isn't art, but again, subjectivity is unavoidable.  As long as someone thinks it's art, it is.

But then you get to scales of how "artsy" you can classify certain objects, like video games.  Are they above inner tubes?  Then you can make your definitions and scales narrower.  But in terms of a definition of general art, I'd rather include than exclude and do so by something slightly more measurable than intent.

#15 | Back to Top01-17-2013 04:53:44 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Kale, God, you're full of good points!  Forgive me for going paragraph by paragraph -- I know it makes for a long post, but every question you asked is interesting!

KaleMarsh wrote:

I suppose that's part of my issue.  I would rather include than exclude.  It's more difficult to determine whether or not something was designed with artistic intent than it is to determine whether or not something creates an aesthetic response.  As with the grecian urn, one might even argue that they were designed more to tell a story than to represent some kind of art.  And is that story supposed to be artistic or just a record of history?  Is the grecian urn really art by your definition?

Good question.  This is a place where I have to acknowledge ignorance about the historical context of Grecian urns.  If the potter was just trying to create a functional pot and not a beautiful one, and the painter was really just trying to chronicle history and not induce an aesthetic experience by eir painting or storytelling, then I guess indeed I would say that a Grecian urn is not art any more than an ordinary history textbook is art.  But I doubt this is the case.   Painting a story on the side of an urn seems like the act of someone trying to create an aesthetic object, especially in a culture that already had a written language and oral tradition capable of describing events with more precision than pictures on an urn.  This is a case where I'd have to defer to someone who knows what e's talking about.  And if it turns out that no one knows what the intent of the urn's creators was, then I'm happy to use your definition as a fallback: many people experience it as art, so it's art.

Is the emotional gratification one gets when presented a math proof the same thing as an aesthetic response?  If so, I argue that a mathematician could intend to inspire this response or even feel it during his process.  When it comes to math, you can end up proving a lot of things just because they're cool, not necessarily because they're useful or you can foresee a use for them.  Is that distinction worth noting?

The emotional gratification I feel from Cantor's diagonalization argument is definitely an aesthetic response.  It's a breathtakingly simple proof of a breathtakingly strange result, namely that even an infinitely long list of real numbers is not long enough to contain all real numbers.  But as far as I know or can reasonably infer, Cantor didn't select his subject matter or creative method of proof in order to make me say "that's amazing," but in order to achieve a pragmatic mathematical goal.  The way Kleenex are folded in the box to make the next Kleenex pop up is ingenious and even amazing, but I don't think it's art.  A mathematical proof ordinarily has this same quality of being functional by intent, and aesthetic only by accident.  That said, yes, I'm beginning to see the problem you're trying to highlight with my definition.  If it came to light that Cantor knew five different ways of proving his result but selected this one because he wanted to shock the math world, or for that matter that Kleenex green-lit the new design because it made people go "wow," then I guess my definition would have to acknowledge them as art.  And it's an undesirable feature in a definition that the way you categorize an object can change because of trivia about how it's produced.

The argument of art becomes more about what constitutes an aesthetic response rather than whose response gets to determine what is art.  So if someone receives an aesthetic response from a grecian urn, even if it's not me, then it's art.  By your definition, you only need intent.  So if the grecian urn is intended to evoke an emotional response, and it doesn't--in anyone at all--it's still art (if a tree falls in a forest...).  This is curious for me.  I suppose, however, that it is the one area where your definition is broader than mine.

Yes, absolutely -- this is one part of my definition that I am happy to defend, because I think it would be nice to define art in a way that doesn't begin by separating good art from bad art.  If you tried to move someone with a sculpture and you didn't, then your sculpture might be bad art, or failed art, but it seems intuitive to me that it is still art.  If you write a poem with the intent of creating something beautiful, but you don't like the finished product and you never share it with anyone, then to me it's still art.  I wrote my definition to reflect that.  You don't have to succeed, you just have to try.  Duchamp's Fountain comes to mind again -- what made the urinal art was not anything structural about the urinal, but the fact that Duchamp cheekily submitted it to an art exhibition in order to provoke transmuted it into art.  What he added to the urinal was an artistic intent.

Okay, my turn to ask you questions emot-biggrin  You wanted to tweak my definition, but you didn't change the part about "designed by an intelligent being," even though the focus of your definition is now on the art's receiver and not its designer.  So let me ask you this.  Suppose you're sitting in an auditorium.  The curtain on stage is drawn shut, but from behind it you can hear a piano being played.  The notes are an atonal and chaotic jumble without an evident rhythmic or melodic pattern.  The more you try to make sense of it or put it in an artistic framework, the more frustrated you get, and you have the aesthetic response of hating it and wanting to throw tomatoes at whoever's responsible.  Now the lights come up, and the curtain is pulled back, and you see that the mystery pianist is:

A) Marcel Duchamp.
B) A cat.

Since both our definitions require an intelligent being, we should both agree that the piano piece was art if it's (A), but not if it's (B).  I think this also squares with common sense.  But my definition has a principled reason for that distinction: since art requires intent, naturally Marcel Duchamp can produce art and a cat cannot, even if the exact same notes are being played.  In your definition, art just requires that someone else have an aesthetic response.  So why shouldn't a cat be able to produce art?  Isn't that an artificial distinction?

Taking the same theme even further, what if instead of an inner tube in an alley, it was an injured sparrow in a meadow?  Nothing about the scene is manmade except the emotions the observer brings to it.  Is an injured sparrow in a meadow art if I see it and have an overwhelming aesthetic response to it?  I would say no, of course not, no more than a cloud!  But if art only requires an aesthetic reaction, how is the sparrow in the meadow different from the inner tube in the alley?  Surely it doesn't matter that a person made the inner tube!

Most generally: Is there anything that your definition of art would say is definitely not art, without first having to survey everyone who has ever been exposed to it?

Last edited by satyreyes (01-17-2013 04:59:06 PM)

#16 | Back to Top01-17-2013 11:47:53 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Whelp, time for me to de-activate lurk mode and jump into the middle of a conversation.  Yay!

I think, in order to clarify what is meant by "takes you outside reality," one must consider the representational relationship between the prospective art piece and reality, or the sections of reality with which the prospective art piece has a representational relationship.  (No, I don't think I could make that sentence sound any more pretentious.  Crap.  Whelp, shit just got postmodern, so heads up.)  A good deal of art is symbolic, that is, there are aspects of it that are meant to represent and evoke categories used to define aspects of things which exist in reality.  The words of a poem, for example, correspond to the things that those words mean, although it is important to remember that they are not those things, (the word "chair" is not a chair) and that their meaning in the poem is dependent upon the relationship they have to other words in the poem, and the meaning of the poem (to the extent that it has a meaning, it might be better to term it "effect" than "meaning") is created by the compilation of all the symbolic representations of all the words and all their relationships to one another.

(As a side note, this sounds incredibly complicated, and it is, but the funny thing is, we do it automatically, and really, really fast.  Because the human brain is just awesome like that.)

But the way I see it, the purpose of an art piece isn't just to symbolize something.  Rather, it lies in an inaccurate representation of something which evokes reflexive thought on behalf of the viewer/reader/experiencer.  That is, it makes you think about things.  In the case of representational art, even extremely representational media, (realist painting, non-surreal photography, documentary film) the act of transcribing the real thing that is being represented changes the experience of the person experiencing the art-- a painting of a pipe is not a pipe, after all, it is a painting.  And in the case of Marcel Duchamp's "Fountain," the piece is not experienced in the same way that a viewer would experience a urinal, as it has be divorced from the context of a urinal and placed in the context of a sculpture.

I would argue that art must be created with intent: not every reflexive experience is triggered by art, after all, so it is not enough to define art as a thing that triggers a reflexive experience, and further, the experience of the viewer is, by definition, subjective, so defining a thing in terms of larger social concepts based on the subjective experience it may or may not trigger in a hypothetical viewer seems in bad form.  Possibly this means that there must be multiple definitions of "art," divided by whether it is being spoken of in terms of the artist, the viewer, or the cultural phenomenon.  In that case, I believe the definition I am trying to make would be for the last.

Further, I think that, to be art, the purpose for which a thing was created should be, completely or in part, in order to evoke reflexive thought.  It can do other things--it can be entertaining, it can be profitable, it can provide someone with shelter, it can be decorative--but I do not think that doing these things, any of these things, defines something as art.  What's more, there might, somewhere, be a divide between the artistic (thing that exist primarily for other reasons, but have an aspect of being art) and art (things that are useless if not for their function as art).  Or maybe that would be the divide between art and heroic art: art must be beautiful, heroic art must not. (sorry, that's kind of a shout-out to Elles: Pompidou, it might sound like gibberish without the context)

So, I think that my definition of "art" would be: it is something created with the intent of evoking a reflexive experience.  Though I'm not sure that the artist has to be aware that they're doing that, I think art is a thing that people do almost instinctively.

And yes, there can be good art and bad art.  "Good" is a subjective term, of course, but in terms of a work of art, might be defined as "it does what it's supposed to do, and it does it a lot."  That is: it evokes a reflexive experience for a fair number of people that approach it, in something like the manner intended by the artist, and has a high degree of depth to it and the response it evokes.  Bad art fail to do this.  Of course, "good" and "bad" aren't categories, just the ends of a scale.

Personally, I've started to have the idea of measuring the quality of art in terms of time.  That is, "if this work of art were subject to the normal effects of art consumption, how long would it last before it was forgotten, no longer available, or could no longer evoke the experience it was intended to?"  Because I've noticed that, say, books that aren't very good tend to go away rather quickly.  There have been trashy romance novels for hundreds of years, for example, but you can't read most of them, because they've completely ceased to exist.  Old copies deteriorate, no new ones are made, and no one cares enough to preserve them.  And that's fine.  I'd say they aren't really worth preserving.

Of course, this is a very shaky scale, and it doesn't translate at all across different media (think how long a song is on the radio, versus how long a book is on the shelves, or a painting is... somewhere) and it probably works better in terms of the half-life of a work--how long 'till it generates half the buzz it did at the highest point... which may be centuries after the artist's death, for extra complications.  So, yeah.  Flawed system.  But compare, say Moby Dick to Twilight.  Yeah, there was a period of time when EVERYONE was talking about Twilight, you pretty much had to have an opinion on it, even if you hadn't read it.  But that star is already fading, whereas high school teachers will still be assigning essays on Moby Dick for decades, if not centuries, to come.

And don't even ask me where ancient works of art re-discovered through archaeology play into this.  I did say "could no longer evoke the experience it was intended to," but I'm not even sure how that parses for, say, a Roman marble copy of a Greek bronze statue.  Is there a point when it becomes primarily an object of anthropological study?  Could rediscovering it and sticking it in a museum make it art?

Have there been video games that were good art?  I'd say so.  I might be less inclined to laud them if I'd played them, (rather than watching/reading about other people doing it) but I think the works of Ice Pick Lodge (Pathologic and Turgor) definitely qualify.  Turgor is even pretty, and with an officially-endorsed unofficial patch, it isn't murder to play!  Though I think Pathologic is probably better art.  Which is a truly absurd phrase.  Spec Ops: The Line is... I dunno.  It's better than mediocre, but I wouldn't say it's on the same level as Pathologic, and probably not even Turgor.  And honestly, that's about it.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#17 | Back to Top01-18-2013 12:42:10 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Thank you, Kita!  emot-biggrin  Let me see if I can digest that a little.  I see you coming at the definition of art from two angles: first, art as a filtered or refined or reinterpreted version of reality ("an inaccurate representation of something"); and second, art as a prompt for "reflexive thought."

I've heard the first of those angles before, and it's appealing.  It does seem to do a good job describing the difference between a poem about a wheelbarrow (art) and a neutral description of a wheelbarrow (not generally art).  But of course there is plenty of art that is nonrepresentational.  Instrumental music, very abstract painting, and noninterpretive dance are three generally recognized genres of art that can't transform reality in any way I can think of, because they don't refer to reality in any way I can think of.  I guess you could say that a jazz piece that riffs on "I Got Music" is transforming reality, where the reality is the preexisting musical piece.  By extension, maybe you could even say that music reinterprets the reality of tones and timbre, and abstract painting reinterprets the reality of oil and canvas... but that's a stretch.  You could just as easily say that an inner tube reinterprets the reality of rubber and petroleum.  I think it might be a mistake to say that instrumental music is art because it reinterprets reality.  Maybe nonrepresentational art is fundamentally different from representational art, or maybe there is a better way to unify art genres.

The "reflexive thought" idea is new to me.  What do you mean by that phrase?  You follow up by clarifying, "That is, it makes you think about things."  So is any thought reflexive thought?  I think this does a good job distinguishing an ordinary urinal (does not make you think, and is not art) from "Fountain" (makes you think, and is art).  But what do you do about a biology textbook, which makes you think but is not art?  Does a biology textbook provoke the wrong kind of thinking -- "nonreflexive" thinking?  And if so, what do you mean by reflexive?

#18 | Back to Top01-21-2013 06:00:26 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Hrm.  I sorta think that a lot of nonrepresentational art is the transcription of a more conceptual idea of reality.  Cubism (side note: I think it's really interesting that cubism gets linked to the hyper-realistic trompe l'oeil.  When did that happen?) was an attempt to paint a thing from all angles, for example, and I don't see the much-discussed "Fountain" as a representation of a urinal so much as a representation of the idea of sculpture, and I recently saw a triptych that was a painting of the light in a room, sans room.  It was pretty much all abstract shading of white.  Even more abstract visual art might be the representation of mathematical systems of logic (saw that one, too) or imaginary things.  And music?  Some music is a play on other music, some music is a recreation of sounds outside of music, and I think that a lot of music is a representation of emotion.

And reflexive thought... let's see if I can find where I'm getting the idea from...

Crap.  I'm sure it's out there somewhere, (I have the phrase "when self meeting self returns a gaze" floating around in my head, but even Google doesn't know where it comes from) but I only seem to have (at my disposal, anyways) sources that reference it tangentially.  The closest would probably be this... thing on Lacan's idea of The Gaze.  Okay, let's see if I can explain this on my own.

I think the most literal explanation of what I'm getting at is that it's thinking about thinking, but that doesn't seem right.  It has something to do with a recognition of a Self and the Self's relation to the world, particularly the thing that is being represented.  You could say that, as art is like a view of the world through a lens, maybe colored, maybe shaped, that, by bringing to the attention of the viewer that the lens exists, calls into awareness (or some degree of awareness) the relation between the person, the thing they're viewing, and the lens that exists between them.  Only there might be a couple extra lenses in there that I haven't accounted for.  This simile is getting messy.

I wouldn't call non-reflexive thinking "wrong."  We need it.  It's how we go about... doing things.  We model and make decisions and calculate and remember, and we can do all of that without contemplating our place in the universe.  But if we never do any reflexive thinking, or don't learn to be capable of it, that's when we can start running into problems.

Hope that makes things a little less obtuse.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#19 | Back to Top01-24-2013 10:47:32 AM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

In response to Kita's definition, you always have to ask the question of whether or not it's possible to create something that isn't a representation of something you already know.  "There's no such thing as an original thought."  From that lens, all art is representational.

In terms of the intelligent design question of art, I do think that's an essential component of my definition.  It's entirely practical for the purpose of categorizing (but that's what a definition is, I guess, anyway).  Creation is a human impulse, just like classifying it is.  The larger scope of what you're talking about (involving nature and cats playing the piano) is a Kantian sublime.  So I guess you could say art is the sublime as it is made by man based on individual human experience.

But you raise an interesting idea with the dead sparrow in an alley argument.  I do think the human aesthetic response has a creative element to it.  Consider a photographer.  If a photographer is moved by a dead sparrow in an alley and takes a picture of it (with the intent of evoking an aesthetic response in someone else), then I think we both agree that the photograph is art.  But let's say he doesn't have a photographer's mind, and wasn't really thinking about adding to the composition by taking the photo.  He just wanted to capture the experience as closely as possible.  What is the difference?  Can we say that someone who happens upon a dead sparrow in an alley and has an aesthetic response is creating private art?

I guess this conveys why I think the creative design aspect is important.  The sparrow in the alley by itself isn't art if a person doesn't see it.  If a person does and experiences an aesthetic response, it's in relation to a creative impulse that receives the image in a different way.  If there is art in this experience, it is made in the viewer's head.  If someone else just sees a dead sparrow in an alley as trash he has to clean up, he isn't having this same interaction.  Art isn't made.

I get the feeling that this is really convoluted, which is why it took me a while to respond.  I think there is a creative element involved in appreciating art.  If this creative element exists in the consumer, it removes the necessity of placing it in the author.  A piece of nature not made by man isn't art, but it can be made into transitory art by a person; the image in his head is art.  I can go further and say that art isn't in the physical world at all, but that might be too much and entirely unproductive.

But back to the original thread title, thanks to MoMA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAs4Dy-lh8E

EDIT: And their take on why video games are art.  What I find particularly interesting is that they include "elegance of code" in their criteria.

Last edited by KaleMarsh (01-24-2013 11:11:37 AM)

Board footer