This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top08-20-2011 10:20:33 PM

RhythmFusion
Rose Smilee

Re: Tsuwabuki and Nanami: An Underdiscussed Pairing

emot-rofl He said Rule 34!!!emot-rofl

"But screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail." ~ Lady Macbeth; Macbeth - Act One, Scene 7
"Crying is such hypocrisy. How can happiness cause the same reaction as sadness? Does pleasure share the same edge of the blade of life as pain?" - What His Crimson Eyes Believe in: Ch. 2

#27 | Back to Top08-21-2011 04:11:09 AM

Louchan
Rose Bride

RhythmFusion wrote:

emot-rofl He said Rule 34!!!emot-rofl

Yeah, I noticed that as well. etc-wankdude Coincidence? I think not!

#28 | Back to Top08-22-2011 01:33:07 AM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

Thoughts : I'm rewatching the Nanami-recap episode / Mitsuru's diary.  Does anyone remember his fantasy in regards to "What to do if Nanami turns into a cow again?"

His plan would be to stand between a charging Nanami and Utena -- standing with his arms extended between the two.  In his fantasy, he's then able to calm the beastly Nanami, place on a cowbell and live with her in the fields forever.  It's basically a fairy-tale sequence.  He's mythologizing himself in a messianic position.  He's setting himself at risk to save her. Because it's in silhouette, it also evokes a bit of Dios, too, and it's definitely what a mythic prince might do.

Tsuwabaki is modeling himself after Touga, who'd modeling himself after Akio who *is* the Prince.  In his introduction episode, Tsuwabaki's false "rescues" of Nanami are also very similar to Touga setting himself up to be injured to save Utena in episode 9.  He puts himself in danger of being trampled by elephants when he stalks Nanami into India.  This is a dark boy.  Saito made some comments about Tsuwabaki in the interview in the Black Rose arc's booklet that were fairly salient, too.  When discussing Tsuwabaki's adolescence, she immediately segued into how the entire show is steeped in the themes of puberty and then how Chu-chu is the sort of little boy everybody wants to be. 

What I'm seeing here is an evolution:  Chu-chu, as a blissful little monkey-boy, will eventually become something like Mitsuru, who would impatiently rush into his destiny of becoming someone like Touga -- and Touga can easily become a fallen prince like Akio.  Tsuwabaki has the ideal to become someone more like Dios than Touga, but Touga also originally wanted to be someone more like Dios than Touga.  These three men each have the same narrative fate of being unable to be the true Prince for Nanami, Utena or Anthy.  (However, they'd all be much happier and better people if they aspired to be more like Chu-chu.)

As to the idea of Tsuwabaki taking advantage of Nanami in the BR episode, I highly doubt it.  Taking the swords is in and of itself a sort of violation or rape -- I think actual rape beyond that would be a little superfluous.   Besides, it's canon that you can only get in laid in Utena if you ride in an Akio car.

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#29 | Back to Top10-27-2011 08:31:53 AM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

Second: Confession in the elevator. Mitsuru says, that just being with Nanami isn't enough for him anymore. So what can he mean by that? I guess something deeper and darker, than usual. Remember, that his drive to duel was to become an adult. And what is usually considered as a proof of adulthood by young people? Sex, of course (this is implied in the Shadow Play)

I have a tenancy to see the various sword-pulls in Utena as a metaphor for sexual acts.
In the Black Rose arc, "sword pull" = "date rape". school-devil

etc-love Tsuwabuki/Nanami is actually my favorite hetero pairing in this entire series and I have yet to see any good fan-work in support of it.emot-frown It is a great tragedy. emot-frown

Disregarding the characters' canonical ages, Tsuwabuki is the only one drawn in a way that makes him look like a child. Nanami, Utena, and the larger portion of the cast, all appear as though they fall in the range of 16-18 (with Akio being the only visible adult in the main cast by comparison). I think it's this visual cue that turns people off to Tsuwabuki/Nanami. Both their official age gap and their emotional maturity levels are a lot closer to equal than viewers immediately give them credit for. emot-rolleyes

as for this 'In a few years thing', not so much. I think people tend to forget that yes, Mitsuru is only 10, but Nanami is only 13!

I think when people get hung up over a few years time, it may just be because a lot of fan-sites have weird rules about underage characters. "A few years time" is a likely method for dodging these.school-eng101

Also, even though three years doesn't mean much to adults, or even older teenagers, I remember being in fifth grade and it being weird for anyone to be dating someone a single grade away. Even if Tsuwabuki and Nanami were both cool with it, I imagine they would get flak from their peers. (They already have if I'm remembering a couple episodes right!)

And what's all this concern about Tsuwabuki becoming the next Touga? Yeah, the kids trying to emulate Touga, but where do we see him picking up a copy the Karma Sutra as research material? emot-confused Tsuwabuki wants to be what he thinks Touga is. And I don't think that includes the Sexual Dynamo aspect, at least not yet. Tsuwabuki is modelling himself after an ideal. If anything, I think that when he discovers Touga's real attitude toward all of the girls he engages (dismissive, unconcerned) he'll probably go through a period of doubt and introspection, re-thinking both his idol and his ideals. Nobody chooses a role model for their human qualities!emot-tongue

Mitsuru has huge potential, in a few years time all he really needs to do is assert himself as the dominant side of the relationship and Nanami would be his for the taking. I don't know if that would be a good thing or not.

I don't know if it's necessary for him to become the "dominant side of the relationship" if only because many stable relationships don't really have a clear dominant side to them. Even in situations where one member is clearly overpowered or disadvantaged that doesn't always translate into a power imbalance in the dynamics of the romantic relationship.

The reason I like Tsuwabuki/Nanami so much is that I feel it could be a more equal pairing.

Does/will Tsuwabuki need to become more assertive/dominant toward Nanami? Sure. emot-smile
But he doesn't need to become THE DOMINANT POWER in the relationship to achieve this.

Personally, I'd like to see the two of them IN A FEW YEARS TIME (not for age reasons, for character developement reasons emot-tongue) butting heads just a little and trying to out-manipulate each other with wild schemingemot-dance. It could be wonderful ~

#30 | Back to Top11-04-2011 10:31:01 PM

RhythmFusion
Rose Smilee

Yes, it could. It really could.etc-love

"But screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail." ~ Lady Macbeth; Macbeth - Act One, Scene 7
"Crying is such hypocrisy. How can happiness cause the same reaction as sadness? Does pleasure share the same edge of the blade of life as pain?" - What His Crimson Eyes Believe in: Ch. 2

Board footer