This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-01-2012 04:16:32 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Differences through mediums of Utena

Yeah...doozy of a title there.emot-gonk

The purpose of this thread is to discuss how the different versions of Utena(manga, TV show, movie, movie manga, novels) vary in storytelling, pacing, and characterization, and analyze the origins of these variations.
At the end, maybe someone will write a cool essay that summarizes conclusions found in this thread.emot-biggrin

First off: TV show vs. movie.
The TV show is set in Ohtori Academy, a school which acts like a tumor of strangeness and magic upon the real world. The TV show begins without weirdness and obtuse metaphor and gains it over time, to the point where the shadow plays seem more grounded than the events of the series themselves. The movie is abstract from the beginning, with massive isolated schools and gigantic classrooms with moving blackboards.
The Utena TV show had to draw in viewers who may not be expecting something as strange as SKU; the movie was aimed at the fans from the beginning, and so had no need to restrain itself.

Last edited by Atropos (01-01-2012 04:57:24 PM)

#2 | Back to Top01-21-2012 05:38:45 PM

foxxybox
New Student

Re: Differences through mediums of Utena

Ooh, what a fun thread!  As someone who watched the movie first, then read the manga concurrently with watching the tv series (though I finished the manga first), I can definetly list some differences spotted. I'll list some off the top of my head then come back later after I've given it more thought!
Manga:
The Black Rose Saga is completely eliminated, except for appearing as a quick short story at the end of the final volume of the manga.  There is no Anthy as Mamiya, no real involvement of Akio, and (if I remember correctly) there's very little of Tokiko. However, both versions end with Mikage being forgotten. (Dang, I definitely need to elaborate on this!)
Juri has a thing for Touga; Shiori is non-existent.  It's later revealed (once again, in a side story) that Juri had feelings for Ruka, and tried to distract herself after his departure (to the hospital) with Touga.
Kozue seems like less of a bitch, though she still is pretty obsessive over Miki.  I don't remember there being any mention of their father remarrying.
Miki has the hots for Utena, not Anthy emot-dance
Akio's seduction of Utena happens more quickly, and she seems to fall more deeply for Akio; even at the end, when she is 'defeating him by merging with him/merge with Dios' she mentions that still she loves him.  Akio also seems to have less control, just as Anthy isn't as 'unreadable' as she is in the anime. 
We get to see Anthy and Utena kiss. No, seriously etc-wankgirl
Touga seems to care more for Utena, moving into the dorms with her and Anthy, as well as warning her of Akio because he cares for her.  When the revolution occurs and everyone's forgotten Utena, only he and Anthy remember her.
After the revolution occurs, Akio disappears from the world, just as Utena has (though Anthy leaves to go find her).
MAJOR DIFFERENCE: In the anime, we know the complicated back story (do I have to explain it? *cries*) of how Akio was born of Dios, a warped version of the prince "created" by Anthy (who is considered a witch). In the manga, Dios was a pure-hearted prince who was giving too much to the world, and his other side (think two sides of the same coin), Akio, wishes to let humanity rot on its own. What do they owe humanity?  Nothing.  However, Dios comes across a girl about to jump into a river (if I remember correctly) to commit suicide after her parents' death and saves her, bestowing his nobility unto her with the rose crest.  This Utena does not wish to become a prince to save Anthy from the swords of hate (which don't even exist in this universe), but rather out of admiration and love for Dios.  Akio 'kills' Dios to overtake his existance, and thus the 'fallen angel' Akio is granted entry into the world.  However, Anthy didn't want to see her beloved Dios vanish, and used her magic to keep him alive in the castle where eternity dwells, to await a victor that can restore him.  Thus the duels are born.

I'll be back to write more in a little while (must go dig out the manga from the murky pits of my closet!) and will correct some of what I've written. Till then!

Last edited by foxxybox (01-21-2012 05:39:53 PM)

Utena: where the guys are girly, the girls are manly, and everyone's sleeping with their sibling...

#3 | Back to Top01-22-2012 03:57:53 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

foxxybox wrote:

Akio's seduction of Utena happens more quickly, and she seems to fall more deeply for Akio; even at the end, when she is 'defeating him by merging with him/merge with Dios' she mentions that still she loves him.  Akio also seems to have less control, just as Anthy isn't as 'unreadable' as she is in the anime.

You know, this just made me realize that despite the manga having all these massive and strange MAGICAL THINGS going on it, Akio and Anthy are much more 'normal' in it. Everyone is, but it shows there more. It seems like the exaggeration of their characters into archetypes was an addition for the anime. Especially with Akio, I recall the manga treating him and Dios like two sides of a coin that shouldn't land ever. In the anime the focus is on one totally overriding the other--innocence lost, and all that.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top01-23-2012 08:28:11 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

foxxybox wrote:

Kozue seems like less of a bitch, though she still is pretty obsessive over Miki.  I don't remember there being any mention of their father remarrying.
Miki has the hots for Utena, not Anthy emot-dance

It should also be noted that manga Kozue is open about her feelngs for him. She tells him she's loved nobody else since they were born, right?

I also liked manga Miki more than anime Miki. He seemed gutsier and his crush on Utena was really cute. emot-smile

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#5 | Back to Top04-01-2012 04:46:53 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

What I find amusing is the difference between Manga-Utena and Series-Utena. A demonstration:
MANGA
Akio: Wanna go for a ride?
Utena: YOU'RE END OF THE WORLD OMGWTF

SERIES
Akio: I'm the Devil.
Utena: Huh?

#6 | Back to Top04-03-2012 12:36:13 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

....oh god, you're right. emot-gonk

Utena does seem a lot less oblivious in the manga, but then everyone around her is a lot more transparent. It did always drive me (HARHAR) completely batty that Utena stares at Akio's car deep in thought for several seconds in episode 30, and still can't put together that she's been seeing it in the duel arena for like the last four duels she's been in. There isn't much investment in concealing Akio's identity in the manga, where I don't think it actually really sinks in for her until right before the end of the anime. I wonder why--I don't think it would have changed all that much for her. It's been a while since I read the manga, doesn't her interest in him not even wane a little when she learns who he is?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top09-03-2012 01:02:20 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

TV-Utena is slowly but surely shown to not be what she's built up as, starting with probably episode two or three. Manga-Utena is her myth; she's good at shit and on the ball. (I really should read the manga again. it's the version I don't redo, for whatever reasons.)

Of course, I have to suggest that just as the TV and movie are interrelated similar to how Twin Peaks and Fire Walk With Me work, so too, the manga version is The Diary of Laura Palmer: starts earlier, little safer, more "grounded," and the protagonist is more knowing.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#8 | Back to Top09-05-2012 12:58:39 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Giovanna wrote:

. It's been a while since I read the manga, doesn't her interest in him not even wane a little when she learns who he is?

It sure didn't!

Kozue's character changed almost COMPLETELY from manga to anime. She was this very cute, but very bratty, sister with a brother complex. She was way too protective of him. Not that she isn't in the anime, just less childish about it...WAY less.

I just have to say... Touga seems kind of scary in a few of the manga chapters. He seemed especially menacing when Miki and Utena found that hidden room containing a floor tiled with astrological symbols. Kind of like, 'hey, you guys are cute, so it would be a shame to waste you when I find you snooping around my stuff again. *wink*'

Related to that, the duels seemed to be on a kind of schedule in the manga, with a challenger every now and then. In the anime, the duels also seemed to happen based on Akio's will, but were a matter of natural course after a while.

Also... Utena is much more likely to lick someone's tears away in the manga, just saying.

In relation to her parents deaths and her resulting melancholy, the manga draws it out as an event that happened and was never explained to younger!Utena but Tenjou realized the impact some time later. Watching a little girl nearly plummet to her death because of being lost in her own sadness is some serious imagery. Of course, so is a child hiding herself in a coffin based on that same sadness>___>

The Adolescence of Utena manga made me sad. Because of it's story? Heck no! There was no plotline for JURI!!!!!!!!! or shiori of course, but mostly juri...

[[I'd like to add that I just discovered that little expansion option on text boxes, pretty cool]]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

Board footer