This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-06-2012 12:23:37 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Self-improvement general

Mind: Dual n-back is scientifically proven to improve fluid IQ, which is intelligence that is not based off of previously learned knowledge. link

Body: And for daily rejuvenation and joint health, Nikolay Amosov's thousand movements for healthy joints.

Spirit: Just meditate.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (12-06-2012 12:42:36 PM)

#2 | Back to Top12-06-2012 01:58:59 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Re: Self-improvement general

I find it awesome that your post is indistinguishable from search engine page-rank spam. emot-rofl

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#3 | Back to Top12-06-2012 02:10:42 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Well, this stuff is all public domain and not proprietary. Which goes to show just how similar capitalism and communism really are.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (12-06-2012 02:33:08 PM)

#4 | Back to Top12-06-2012 05:12:05 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Overlord Morgus wrote:

Well, this stuff is all public domain and not proprietary. Which goes to show just how similar capitalism and communism really are.

Staying on-topic is nice.

I find soundings to be very relaxing. It's coming out of them that's difficult.

#5 | Back to Top12-07-2012 07:21:30 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

:snerk: coming out.

#6 | Back to Top12-16-2012 09:11:37 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

I probably sound insane, but I think experiencing sorrow is one of the only ways to improve yourself at a spiritual level. That's not to say anyone who suffers will become a better person, but you can't become the best person possible without experiencing pain in your life.

#7 | Back to Top12-16-2012 03:48:19 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Atropos wrote:

I probably sound insane, but I think experiencing sorrow is one of the only ways to improve yourself at a spiritual level. That's not to say anyone who suffers will become a better person, but you can't become the best person possible without experiencing pain in your life.

Have you read De Profundis by Oscar Wilde?  "Where there is suffering there is sacred ground."  Probably one of my favorite quotes ever.

Also, I think a lot of existentialism is about this sort of thing.  But I could be wrong, I didn't even get through the introduction of Existentialism for Dummies.

So no, it doesn't sound insane.  It's definitely something I can attest to on a personal level, too.  Sort of... when something bad happens, it's humbling.  And learning to stand in awe of the inevitability of loss means you won't cling to the things that you're afraid of losing to the point where you're willing to destroy everything else for the sake of that thing, because it's just not worth it, and it never will be.  I'm trying to think of a less bullshitty way to say it, but it's just not working.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#8 | Back to Top12-17-2012 05:51:14 AM

Stephen
Rose Bride

It can be dicey ground, of course. Too much from an unexpected source, or too early, and there's a fair amount of potential for skewing perceptions about stuff. I'd definitely agree though, a bit of sorrow or pain lets you evaluate your priorities in life and the way you approach things, probably more-so than anything else for a lot of people. Particularly so given how very "go go go!" we're told our lives are meant to be these days.

#9 | Back to Top12-19-2012 07:08:21 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Atropos wrote:

I definitely agree. I would say though that to me it's not necessarily the pain that seems to build character, it's the adversity. It's not the pain that changes you, it's the decision you make to do something about it. Fighting it isn't necessarily the right answer--there are whole schools of thought around the embracing and accepting of pain as part of life, and they're not wrong. It's deciding that you're stronger than what happens to you, what's dished out, and what's unfair.

Stephen, you have a good point, too. There's a certain amount of adversity that's improving in the young, but it seems like so many experience so much hardship so early in life that...how can they deal with it? Think of how often this happens. How many of us were abused, sexually or otherwise, as children? How many of us got picked on, beat up, or were isolated for some reason from our peers? We're all still here. We've all survived. Nevermind how 'intact' we are or are not, it's amazing to me, when I reflect on it, the amount of pain and horror we can survive. And then, after that survival, we can still talk about wanting to improve.

I guess what I'm saying is 'Holy crap people are amazing.' emot-keke

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#10 | Back to Top12-19-2012 07:19:21 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Giovanna wrote:

Atropos wrote:

I definitely agree. I would say though that to me it's not necessarily the pain that seems to build character, it's the adversity. It's not the pain that changes you, it's the decision you make to do something about it. Fighting it isn't necessarily the right answer--there are whole schools of thought around the embracing and accepting of pain as part of life, and they're not wrong. It's deciding that you're stronger than what happens to you, what's dished out, and what's unfair.

Stephen, you have a good point, too. There's a certain amount of adversity that's improving in the young, but it seems like so many experience so much hardship so early in life that...how can they deal with it? Think of how often this happens. How many of us were abused, sexually or otherwise, as children? How many of us got picked on, beat up, or were isolated for some reason from our peers? We're all still here. We've all survived. Nevermind how 'intact' we are or are not, it's amazing to me, when I reflect on it, the amount of pain and horror we can survive. And then, after that survival, we can still talk about wanting to improve.

I guess what I'm saying is 'Holy crap people are amazing.' emot-keke

This.

I needed this. Just as I was feeling the slump coming along, I read this. This is what is going to get me through.

Giovanna, you rock! etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Board footer