This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-09-2008 02:47:35 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Olympic Fencing in Beijing, Wooot! Did anyone else watch?

Taken from Yahoo! Sports.

Arisugawa wins 6th Gold in Beijing.

By William Miller, AP Sports Writer

Beijing (AP) - Juri Arisugawa captured Japan's first gold medal of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, soundly defeating American hopeful Mariel Zagunis in the finals of the Women's Saber competition 15-11. This is the second meeting in an Olympic finals for the two women. Back at the 2004 Olympics in Athens, Arisuguwa defeated Zagunis for the Saber gold 15-9.

Arisugawa, 25, was the favorite coming into Beijing and is also considered the strongest competitor for the epee and foil competitions, which she also won at Athens in 2004 and Sydney in 2000.

Today's victory gives Arisugawa her sixth gold medal in fencing, continuing her dominating reign at the top of the sport. Since 2000, no other woman has claimed Olympic gold in a fencing event.

"Every win is special," she said. "It was a honor to face Mariel again."

The United States also took the bronze when Zagunis' teammate Sada Jacobson defeated fellow American Becca Ward. Arisugawa's win prevented a total sweep of the event by the American fencers. Arisugawa defeated Jacobson 15-13 earlier in the competition to reach the finals.

"It definitely would have been nice to sweep," Zagunis said. "But Juri is a fierce competitor. We knew it was going to be difficult."

Ironically, saber is considered to be Arisugawa's weakest discipline. She is expected to show similar results later this week for the foil, and her strongest discipline, epee.

After winning, she stoically removed her mask and congratulated Zagunis. She returned to her chair and buried her face in her hands, apparently overcome by the moment. It wasn't until she was draped in the Japanese flag on the podium that she showed elation, smiling and waving to the cheering Japanese fans.

Last edited by Ashnod (08-09-2008 02:55:27 PM)

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#2 | Back to Top08-09-2008 02:54:23 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Olympic Fencing in Beijing, Wooot! Did anyone else watch?

I love you. I also forgot about the Olympics. emot-redface

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top08-09-2008 04:09:41 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Ashnod, you're so cute emot-biggrin

#4 | Back to Top08-09-2008 04:57:02 PM

Prince_of_Stars
Someday Shiner
Website

Way to go Ashnod! Those matches were awesome.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/chani_sama/prince-sig.png

Sir Hellsing: Leader of the Feminine Failure Revolution
Faithfully failing at feminine tasks, gender roles, and the conventionality of femininity since 1990.

#5 | Back to Top08-09-2008 07:03:42 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Your article wins! poptartpoptart

I missed the Fencing on TV being at work and all.. but NBC's website has everything archived and available to watch on demand! emot-dance

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#6 | Back to Top08-10-2008 04:12:31 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Nice.

I'm so addicted to the Olympics right now, I'm watching like all night's coverage, just glued.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#7 | Back to Top08-10-2008 10:03:47 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

I actually watched the fencing matches. Amazing stuff. Cute article, by the way. emot-tongue

#8 | Back to Top08-10-2008 02:28:59 PM

beautifulpanther
Qualified Duellist
Website

in austria they rarely show fencing competitions TT; I guess i really have to watch now or i will never get to see any match

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/NicoRobin1985/wheebanner2.jpg
Bianca   *1989 - +14.09.2007

"A duel against a feather has nothing to do with provocation or letting you look like a fool. Duelling the feather, the essence of all art and truth written down on paper, is a duel against your inner self to find security and cognition" (©Octavian)

#9 | Back to Top08-10-2008 03:03:55 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Panther, you can see the women's saber finals here.  Scroll down; you're looking for a video entitled "US Women's fencing sweep" or similar.  Fencing sweep my butt; for once in her life Juri is robbed of credit.  emot-rolleyes

#10 | Back to Top08-10-2008 10:07:07 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

And wow, hot on the heels of that story is this tidbit from the Associated Press...

Tsuwabuki Kicks Japan to Victory In 4x100 Free Relay

AP Staff

First-time Olympian Mitsuru Tsuwabuki out-touched American anchor Jason Lezak by just 0.08 seconds to take the men's 4x100 freestyle relay for Japan.  His team's 3:08.16 time shattered the American-held world record by fully four seconds.

"It was for Nanami-sama," said Tsuwabuki after the match, referring to his sweetheart in Japan.  "After the turn I was half a length behind, and that is a lot to make up in fifty meters against a swimmer like Lezak.  It was only because I knew Nanami-sama was cheering for me that I was able to push myself to come through."

Asked in a separate interview what she thought of her favorite swimmer's performance, Nanami Kiryuu replied: "Well of course I'm a little disappointed.  Michael Phelps finished his leg of the relay in world record time, but I can't help feeling that if he'd gotten a stronger start he could have led his team to the gold.  Of course, he's so hot that I have to forgive him."

Tsuwabuki's breathtaking finish came after equally strong performances by teammates Yamada, Tanaka, and Suzuki.  With characteristic humility, Tsuwabuki, who received an unprecedented waiver allowing him to compete even though he is only ten years old, said his compatriots were responsible for the victory.  "They heard that Lezak was talking smack about us before the game, and I think they kind of lost it.  Plus I told them I'd beat them up again if we silvered," Tsuwabuki joked.

The French team, heavy favorites before the match, was unable to compete after team captain Alain Bernard sustained severe head injuries in a run-in with a kangaroo minutes before the race.  Beijing authorities have as yet been unable to account for the marsupial, which wore boxing gloves and a mouth protector.  This was the second setback for the French team since the beginning of the Olympics after Amaury Leveaux's near miss with a falling flowerpot.

#11 | Back to Top08-11-2008 05:14:37 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Thanks for the link to the finals. I'd watched the qualifying round/semis/whatever it was before that, but couldn't be in to see the finals. I fence a bit actually (although not saber), so I was looking forward to watching this.

#12 | Back to Top08-11-2008 06:21:04 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

I am SO idiot that i actually searched for the first article on google emot-redface

#13 | Back to Top08-11-2008 08:03:48 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Tsuwabuki? Winning in swimming? Wow... emot-aaa

I wonder how Kozue's doing with her swimming. She probably slept with all the judges before the competition, that little devil school-devil

#14 | Back to Top08-11-2008 08:45:31 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Yay, more Olympics coverage! I wish I'd been watching more, so I could write one of these intelligently! Maybe we should have a piece with Kozue doing gymnastics? Oddly, she seems too old for that...

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#15 | Back to Top08-11-2008 09:19:01 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

Yay, more Olympics coverage! I wish I'd been watching more, so I could write one of these intelligently! Maybe we should have a piece with Kozue doing gymnastics? Oddly, she seems too old for that...

She swims back in her junior high days. And, she dives, too! She looked stunning in diving!! I've seen her done it. You've seen how straight her legs were when she jumped off that diving board! She'd take the gold for sure!!

Last edited by Hiraku (08-11-2008 09:19:19 AM)

#16 | Back to Top08-11-2008 11:02:51 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hiraku wrote:

Stormcrow wrote:

She swims back in her junior high days. And, she dives, too! She looked stunning in diving!! I've seen her done it. You've seen how straight her legs were when she jumped off that diving board! She'd take the gold for sure!!

You mean for once in her life she actually kept her legs together?  emot-confused

#17 | Back to Top08-11-2008 02:42:49 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Hiraku wrote:

Stormcrow wrote:

You mean for once in her life she actually kept her legs together?  emot-confused

Kozue has found a way to do it regardless of how far apart her legs are.
She is THAT good!

#18 | Back to Top08-11-2008 03:45:21 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

satyreyes wrote:

*snerk* Good one, satyr!

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#19 | Back to Top08-12-2008 10:13:03 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Too bad there's no kendo competition.  Japan would always gold, though.  Not that it'd make Saionji happier or anything.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#20 | Back to Top08-13-2008 06:32:38 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Can you imagine if Saionji and Touga end up competing against each other in Judo Olympic, though?
*inhales* Okay, have to stop thinking about how they would rip the shirt off of each other's shoulders. Now's not the time emot-rolleyes

#21 | Back to Top08-13-2008 08:12:17 AM

beautifulpanther
Qualified Duellist
Website

(Yay germany won both competitions today! GO GERMANY!)

(random... wh00t)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/NicoRobin1985/wheebanner2.jpg
Bianca   *1989 - +14.09.2007

"A duel against a feather has nothing to do with provocation or letting you look like a fool. Duelling the feather, the essence of all art and truth written down on paper, is a duel against your inner self to find security and cognition" (©Octavian)

#22 | Back to Top08-14-2008 04:02:37 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

Warning: Scalding cynicism ahead. school-devil

Kozue Kaoru is definitely flexible and not afraid of heights, and would seem to be a natural for the gymnastics competition. However, she has shown herself to be vulnerable to slipping and spraining her ankle even in her prime, so it's unlikely she stands a chance against the PRC's elite 14 year olds.

In other news, Touga Kiryuu and Kyouichi Saionji, both hopefuls for the judo competition, are expressing frustration with the imposed gender tests. (It's the hair, apparently.) Touga was more than happy to drop his pants for the judges, but it would see that these days extensive hormone and chromosome tests are necessary to determine if someone is male or female.

Meanwhile, Ruka Tsuchiya, who was cloned by scientists so Japan would have yet another ace in the fencing competition, tragically died again before his first match. Unfortunately for Ruka, his clone inherited his susceptibility to respiratory ailments, and the rancid air in Beijing was simply too much for him.

Utena Tenjou and Anthy Himemiya were planning to be in attendance, but they were immediately deported for carrying signs with the slogans "Free Tibet" and "Stop Darfur Genocide." The pair were hauled off by party officials while calling out "Revolution!" to much applause from spectators. The Chinese government then blocked their names from search engines, just to be on the safe side.

#23 | Back to Top08-14-2008 10:22:02 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

OnionPrince wrote:

Utena Tenjou and Anthy Himemiya were planning to be in attendance, but they were immediately deported for carrying signs with the slogans "Free Tibet" and "Stop Darfur Genocide." The pair were hauled off by party officials while calling out "Revolution!" to much applause from spectators. The Chinese government then blocked their names from search engines, just to be on the safe side.

Reuters reporters were later able to gain access to Tenjou to ask what aspect of the Chinese domination of Tibet she objected to most.  "Tibet is in China?" she replied, apparently horrified.  "I thought it was in Sudan or something!  Wow, no wonder they threw me in jail."

#24 | Back to Top08-14-2008 10:51:45 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

*gigglesnort* Oh, Utena. You are so very, very dense. emot-rolleyes etc-love

[On a side note, US wins bronze for the Women's sabre fencing! etc-love]

Board footer