This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-28-2013 07:03:29 PM

kj924
Wakaba Wrangler

Any tougaXUtena Fans?

Hi just wondering if anyone likes the pairing of TougaXUtena I know SKU is more for UtenaXAnthy but I was wondering if anyone like this pairing as well.

#2 | Back to Top07-29-2013 06:18:01 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Re: Any tougaXUtena Fans?

I don't know if I see them working out long-term, but I suppose they could be hot together. Even if their hair-colors clash.

#3 | Back to Top08-06-2013 12:20:27 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

They're one of my favorite couples. I like the way she doesn't put up with him the way most girls do and I also like that he becomes a better man for her sake. My favorite Touga/Utena moment is when he promises to protect her during their final duel. I like to think her flashbacks in that scene mean she's finally acknowledging that she would have let herself fall for him if things had been different.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2lazod0.jpg

Aww. Tell me that's not romantic. etc-love

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#4 | Back to Top08-06-2013 01:17:37 PM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

I don't ship it, though I don't hate it either. I find their dynamic as presented in canon to be kind of fascinating towards the end, but like Lurv, I can't see it working out. Touga needs to spend more time unlearning his misogyny, and after what he pulled on her earlier in the series, Utena is quite right to not trust him. Still, I appreciate how he changes because of her and how he eventually tries to spare her from Akio's trap, even if his methods aren't quite right (but that's realistic character development for you; someone like him isn't going to suddenly become a wonderful person overnight!).

I also greatly dislike what most fanfics and whatnot seem to turn the pairing into. Touga is not some flawless knight in shining armour, and Utena is not a swooning princess who wants him to sweep her off her feet. That's just not them at all.

Admittedly, I'm fond of their relationship in the movie and movie-manga, and the role it plays in the story of those canons; but even then, it's for the best that Utena moved on from him and went on to pursue a happy future with Anthy.

#5 | Back to Top08-06-2013 01:29:57 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

I see a Touga X Utena relationship to be similar to that of a Ruka X Juri one: the male party will risk/sacrifice himself to do what he believes is best for the female's interest.  Yet, the strong-willed female in the relationship will end up getting irked by that 'don't what I want matter?' thing.  Even if the relationship works, it will be one bumpy ride.

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (08-06-2013 01:31:00 PM)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#6 | Back to Top08-06-2013 02:41:46 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

I don't like it or understand the appeal of it. Touga, in both incarnations, is patronizing at best, manipulative and chauvinistic at worst. Utena made a clear choice for Anthy, and I wish people would get their hetero fix somewhere else.

(In the interest of transparency, I have to say that roughly 14 years of having to go to bat for Utena/Anthy against people who want to take away one of the few legitimate LGBT pairings in anime, merely because they just can't stand that FOR ONCE the girl chose another girl, have taken their toll on my tolerance.)

Last edited by Aelanie (08-06-2013 02:45:39 PM)

#7 | Back to Top08-06-2013 04:19:36 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Thanks for clarifying, Aelanie. I don't think anyone here is trying to invalidate your opinion or say that you're wrong; they just like something else and want to talk about it. It sucks that you've had to deal with people trying to convince you that Utena and Anthy aren't a couple for such a long time, but no one's forcing their opinions on you. We all know the fun of the show is in the different interpretations and what-ifs.

As far as Touga and Utena go, I've never credited the idea that they could have a lasting relationship. I've said it before-- the first time Utena walked on Touga's silk persian rugs with her football cleats on, he would have the biggest hissy fit in history. She's just too butch for him, although it would be fun for a while. Maybe even a long while, if Utena was careful about the rugs emot-keke

It's an interesting pairing to think about. The relationship dynamics would be pretty complex. Touga would want to protect her, but she would want to protect herself. Touga would be a little controlling and she would have to break him of that. Utena's kind of oblivious, so I can see her missing a lot of "hints" Touga would drop about things, and they'd probably end up fighting a lot because of it. He's basically a girl to begin with, he'd enjoy the drama. And the make-up sex would be fantastic.

It definitely wouldn't last, though. Too volatile.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#8 | Back to Top08-09-2013 12:29:11 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

I have to admit that I am. It happens to hit a lot of things that are personally appealing to me:

1.) Motherfucking angst. I don't like Western romances because they end well and are cheery. I tend to love Eastern romances though because couples are star-crossed and shit almost never goes well. And that's probably my biggest thing against Utena/Anthy. I *love* them together in the series, but the fanfiction inevitably assumes that all their problems are solved now that they're out of Ohtori and they go skipping in a field of wildflowers. They're one of the healthiest couples in the show(which...isn't saying much), but its just...boring.

2.) Them not being able to get together in the series gives me a challenge. I have to try and think of what could bring a couple together, and that really gets me thinking about character development, relationships, and my creative juices flowing. With Utena and Anthy...uh...she finds her after the series is over and they bone. The end.  This being said though, I don't think I've seen someone write a convincing enough fanfic yet where they're together. I attempted, but it was really long and it's incomplete(it was technically going to be Touga/Utena/Anthy though, so...).

3.) I love fictional manwhores. I hate them more than anybody else in real life, but for some reason, I can't get enough of them in fiction.

4.) I have a soft spot in particular for Touga because his turn-around is subtle and goddamn wonderful. It's not like a lot of shoujo manga(including manga!Touga) where he's a bad boy, girl is perturbed, and he is instantly completely reformed. No, he's reluctantly finding himself unable go on with the way he's been living his life and is clearly disgusted with himself--both for being a prick and the same sort of sucker he used to make fun of. And he starts trying to do better, but he's not very good at it, and his turn-around is too late for it to do anything anyway because Utena's had enough of his shit.

5.) You know the sex would be hot as sin.

Last edited by Frau Eva (08-09-2013 12:33:43 AM)

Hat Mafia Member

#9 | Back to Top08-10-2013 10:47:34 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Aelanie wrote:

I don't like it or understand the appeal of it. Touga, in both incarnations, is patronizing at best, manipulative and chauvinistic at worst. Utena made a clear choice for Anthy, and I wish people would get their hetero fix somewhere else.

(In the interest of transparency, I have to say that roughly 14 years of having to go to bat for Utena/Anthy against people who want to take away one of the few legitimate LGBT pairings in anime, merely because they just can't stand that FOR ONCE the girl chose another girl, have taken their toll on my tolerance.)

Oh, I have nothing against Utena/Anthy or their shippers. emot-smile I just think they're a couple in the movie universe and just friends in the t.v. universe.

Yasha wrote:

As far as Touga and Utena go, I've never credited the idea that they could have a lasting relationship. I've said it before-- the first time Utena walked on Touga's silk persian rugs with her football cleats on, he would have the biggest hissy fit in history. She's just too butch for him, although it would be fun for a while. Maybe even a long while, if Utena was careful about the rugs.

(spits out her coffee laughing) That's so true!

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#10 | Back to Top02-08-2015 09:46:43 AM

kj924
Wakaba Wrangler

Aelanie wrote:

It's cool if you don't like the character. I was just asking if anyone like the idea of Utena and Touga. I agree he is manipulative but he does come around being okay at towards the end. I also like Utena and Anthy too. Actually I like both Utena and Touga together and Utena and Anthy together. Trust me I have nothing against Utena and Anthy at all. emot-smileI think that both pairings are very interesting and complicated. I don not know about you but my favorite characters in the show are Utena, Touga, and Anthy so that is were I got the idea of Utena and Touga together and Utena and Anthy together. I apologize if you got offended by someone simply asking if anyone like a simple pairing from a entertaining show.

#11 | Back to Top02-08-2015 11:23:54 AM

Sparky
Touga Topper

It works in the movie, but Touga is honestly kind of an asshole in the series (even if he does try to redeem himself in the end).

I think Utena deserves better.

#12 | Back to Top02-08-2015 03:23:15 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I think that, beyond the attraction, they are just so NOT on each others wavelengths at all and they'd annoy the heck out of each other once the sex got old. school-sherlock

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#13 | Back to Top02-08-2015 04:57:05 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

my golden rule

if its straight
i will hate

...its catchy

naw but really, Touga's a bad person (well, in the show and manga, for different reasons). In the movie, where he is a good person, and could thus totally be in a relationship with Utena, he ends up being dead, so... I think that's really telling. That Touga and Utena just can't be together.

If you interpret Touga's character arc as going throughout the three canons, it's a bit tragic, actually. If Touga improves as a person, he dies.

But despite movie Touga being a good person, I don't think it would be very interesting. As I said - if its straight, i will hate. It would just be a fairly standard shojo relationship for the most part. Although, it would definitely be good for Touga - because he would probably improve as a person as he learns that Utena can be her own prince.

im a shadow play girl irl

#14 | Back to Top02-08-2015 08:45:04 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

kj924 wrote:

By the way just out of curiosity why do you not like straight relationships?

Mostly because they're what you see promoted by society all the time.

im a shadow play girl irl

#15 | Back to Top02-08-2015 09:09:15 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

This might seem weird, but the only way I can imagine and Touga x Utena relationship is if Touga became a princess for Utena. I would seriously love to see Touga in the Rose Bride dress with Utena.

I think the reason for this is that it would truly show the lengths Touga would be willing to go for his 'love,' if he does indeed love her; for him to embrace Utena for the person she is and abandoning his need to be this stereotypical 'perfect lover.' His masculinity is, like, everything to him. His power. He would have to give all that up and would gain an understanding of Utena and what her world is like.

#16 | Back to Top02-08-2015 10:34:00 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Yes and no.  I'm not a shipper.  I don't get way into the idea of one true pairings, unless it's maybe story that is centrally a romance and all it is about is two people getting together romantically.

That said, I sometimes enjoy playing with the implications of Utena and Touga.

But, it's like...it's clearly not exactly what's going on in the show.  Obviously, the idea of Utena and Anthy as a lesbian couple is not crazy. It's easy to see why anyone would draw that conclusion, and I never thought that was an accident. Though it's also true that, in the TV series, it's not canon-conclusive to the point that there's no other reading.

I never personally interpreted the show that way and, for me, when I started interacting with the rest of the fandom, the idea that I had to perceive the show as a gay romance kind of...took away something very meaningful for me. 

One of the things I struggled with when I was a teenager and met Utena (and, honestly, still struggle with as a 32 year old) was the tension between being female (which I viewed as very much an objective physical fact) and being "a girl" the way everyone else seemed to assume I must "naturally" be.

Some of the stuff I hated about being-a-girl was how I was apparently supposed to arrange my whole life around romance and relationships. As a voracious reader, this was frequently reflected even in otherwise girl-power-ish stories. Almost every story about a girl would inevitably become a story mostly about romantic or sexual relationships in some way.

While, obviously, lesbian and bisexual relationships are underrepresented--and I can see why many people find the idea of SKU doing that equally if not more inspiring--I always felt a story about a girl meeting her soul mate girlfriend was basically the same thing as a story about a girl meeting her soul mate boyfriend. In the end, just another damn romance! Another reduction of a woman's life as being centered around her romantic ties.

For me, the idea that Utena had way more important things to do than fall in love was awesome! The thought that, in order to be the kind of person she wanted to be, she had to ditch her romantic dreams and keep a promise she made to her friend and to herself... And that she put a friend and her own sense of right and wrong above the usual penultimate goal of girlness (tru wuv)!

THANK YOU, I always felt. Thank you for telling a different story about a girl. Thank you for talking about how it is wrong to put a bond with a "significant other" on a pedestal, because it can blind us to ugly truths when we idolize a romantic figure--as women are constantly encouraged to do. Thank you for showing how challenging it is to find and to be the best and truest version of yourself, especially in difficult circumstances (instead of worrying over who you're "meant to be with" and therefore what they would prefer you to be like). How hard it is to try to be good before you try be anything else.

Most of this awesome stuff only applies, you see, if Utena's romantic match is not Anthy. Otherwise Utena is just doing the "girly" thing and putting romantic love first and does what she does for her tru wuv, so the whole thing plays out as a pretty straightforward "love conquers all" tale, only with the true love's gender swapped.

That's a cool thing about Touga.  If we read it that Utena is genuinely attracted to Touga from the get-go, but he's an ass, and she's got more important things to worry about...and then that he does both fall in love with her and start to change his tune--it's still doomed.  And Utena did something really unusual and ballsy for a girl her age--she rejected what would, typically, be her "destiny" in a story like this for a much harder course.  (Though it's pretty similar for Akio, Akio is so much a villain it feels a bit different.)

So, I will never get why these also-uncommon, equally useful messages are bad to appreciate.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (02-08-2015 10:43:04 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#17 | Back to Top06-10-2015 03:30:42 AM

malna
Caretaker

I ship that. \m/

Utena/Anthy is my OTP but I have a huge soft spot for Touga and Utena. I think the problem with them is the timing. After crashing on the unforgiving wall that is Utena, Touga has to piece himself together from scratch, and whatever direction he may choose for himself thereafter, he has a lot of growing up and sorting things out ahead of him. Maybe in five years or so... but then again, Utena is not done growing either; once Touga catches up with her as she was in the series, she might not be there anymore. She factually isn't since she's left Akio's world. So there. Timing.

But aside from that, Utena introduces Touga to a brand new experience of doubt which levels him up into more of a well rounded character. On the other hand, Touga balances Utena's naivety. They work neatly in my book.
And in the end, Touga was the one, the only one who tried to save Utena. If only because he wasn't done questioning. ;) That has to count for something.

I'm not sure what it is about this dialogue but it gets to me every time:

Utena:  How many times have I fought with you here?
Touga:  This is the third.
Utena:  How strange...it feels like we've fought so often...

Link goes to Utena/Touga fanvid that I like very much. Probably does a way better job conveying what I tried to put in words here.

(Yey, finally some place to have poured out all my Touga/Utena feels!)

Last edited by malna (06-10-2015 03:54:36 AM)

a lot of hope in one man tent

#18 | Back to Top01-27-2016 10:36:39 PM

Kae-Leah
Saionji Slapper

I'm a huge Utena/Touga fangirl, though I'll admit there's problematic aspects to the pairing. I think it'll work out better in the manga-verse than the anime

Man or woman, it doesn't matter, one of strength and nobility is always a prince-Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena manga volume one

Board footer