This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top08-01-2017 12:38:56 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

moo92 wrote:

Side note: I wondered this when this was announced but does this mean that a remake/reboot is on the way? I mean, this is a way to advertise such a thing and get new people interested to watch and get fans reinvested. Or it's just for the 20th anni, but then again the reboot thing could also come out for that. Hm...thats a totally different topic for discussion though. *Considering creating a discussion thread intensifies*

It's worth noting that apparently Ikuhara is working on something*. So if he was going to do something for the anniversary, the timing fits.

*source is a Sailor Moon R related interview where he mentions offhand that he's working on "something new now". For most other creators the fact that they're doing something, at all, probably wouldn't be much news, but this is the man who almost vanished for like a decade between Utena and Penguindrum.

im a shadow play girl irl

#77 | Back to Top08-01-2017 01:51:30 PM

moo92
Miki Molester

Arale wrote:

moo92 wrote:

Side note: I wondered this when this was announced but does this mean that a remake/reboot is on the way? I mean, this is a way to advertise such a thing and get new people interested to watch and get fans reinvested. Or it's just for the 20th anni, but then again the reboot thing could also come out for that. Hm...thats a totally different topic for discussion though. *Considering creating a discussion thread intensifies*

It's worth noting that apparently Ikuhara is working on something*. So if he was going to do something for the anniversary, the timing fits.

*source is a Sailor Moon R related interview where he mentions offhand that he's working on "something new now". For most other creators the fact that they're doing something, at all, probably wouldn't be much news, but this is the man who almost vanished for like a decade between Utena and Penguindrum.

HM interesting. Tho Ikuhara saying he is making something new could mean anything really. If he mentioned he is working on something new that probs means the time gap between Yuri Kuma and his next thing won't be as big as the one between Utena and Penguindrum. The timing does fit for the anni but who knows? This is Ikuhara we're talking about, the man is kinda a mystery in many ways. school-sherlock In the end, it will really come down to the rest of the Be Papas group too. I end up really wondering if remake/reboot is coming after this new manga chapter became a thing. Guess we'll have to see tho!

https://68.media.tumblr.com/e2f1ea1a26343f1419a337b8b075fbd0/tumblr_ou0nssB9Uh1qirhlao1_400.png

#78 | Back to Top08-01-2017 03:45:34 PM

cscratch
Anthy Assailer
Website

Please and yaaasss to someone translating the new manga chapter! 

Mine came in the mail today (ALONG WITH THE NEW CD I AM DYING RIGHT NOW) and I am way too excited for someone who can't even read it!

etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

#79 | Back to Top08-01-2017 08:16:07 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

This paper is literally made of out shit and it's a miserable bitch to scan because it's dark grey on dark grey and I'm trying to make a decent manga scan out of a hot mess.

But Saionji's fucking fashion sense etc-love etc-love etc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#80 | Back to Top08-02-2017 07:37:27 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Yasha wrote:

This paper is literally made of out shit and it's a miserable bitch to scan because it's dark grey on dark grey and I'm trying to make a decent manga scan out of a hot mess.

But Saionji's fucking fashion sense etc-love etc-love etc-love

Bless you!  I haven't found it scanned anywhere so I am dying to see it!

If you need help cleaning the images I can help with that as well.  I have the complete Adobe Creative Suite at work and home and this job is sinfully easy and low key 90% of the time. etc-love

Either way, sincerely thank you for scanning those for everyone.

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

#81 | Back to Top08-02-2017 10:17:58 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh bless you sweetie, but I got this. emot-smile

(That was me posting as Yasha because fucking hell.)

I should think you haven't found any scans because it's literally been out for a week in Japan, nevermind getting to the English speaking world. This is definitely the fastest I think new content has ever made its way over here.

So, I'm not sure about mass distribution because you know, stuff...but if translation isn't your bag and you just wanna see the pretty pictures, then *koff* I might have something for that.... just for you guys... etc-saiowank

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details … ow_Res.zip   (it's like 12mb)

I need to sleep like fucking crazy though, I've literally done nothing else for about 16 hours. I didn't realize the paper quality would be so bad (way worse than the books that get released later) so I have had to manually clean every image. Tonight we'll get out the high resolution stuff and the interview pages for a translation project. We're trying to pull people together, there's no lack of volunteers, it'll just be coordination. After which I will probably be putting the English translation into the pages myself because I have no life at all. emot-rolleyes Unless there are volunteers for doing that part of things? I'm used to doing the grunt work though, heh.

Honestly, I think a lot of people are going to be severely unhappy with this, especially if it's the only thing she releases. The content of this manga is pretty much exactly what I would have asked for without regard for anyone else, which is dope for me, but going to be disappointing to people for which SKU is primarily a yuri anime. Utena and Anthy have no real screen time except for a flashback/hallucination? It's otherwise entirely Touga and Saionji and Akio. No Juri, no Miki, no one else. Period. It's a total sausage-fest.

It's a sausage fest with fucking baller clothes, I swear to god I'm going to do a breakdown of what Touga and Saionji are wearing and why. Especially Saionji because holy shit he's adorable. And yes, he is wearing fucking spectator shoes. Yes, the ones like Akio's. etc-saiowank

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#82 | Back to Top08-02-2017 11:43:26 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Oh bless you sweetie, but I got this. emot-smile

(That was me posting as Yasha because fucking hell.)

I should think you haven't found any scans because it's literally been out for a week in Japan, nevermind getting to the English speaking world. This is definitely the fastest I think new content has ever made its way over here.

So, I'm not sure about mass distribution because you know, stuff...but if translation isn't your bag and you just wanna see the pretty pictures, then *koff* I might have something for that.... just for you guys... etc-saiowank

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details … ow_Res.zip   (it's like 12mb)

I need to sleep like fucking crazy though, I've literally done nothing else for about 16 hours. I didn't realize the paper quality would be so bad (way worse than the books that get released later) so I have had to manually clean every image. Tonight we'll get out the high resolution stuff and the interview pages for a translation project. We're trying to pull people together, there's no lack of volunteers, it'll just be coordination. After which I will probably be putting the English translation into the pages myself because I have no life at all. emot-rolleyes Unless there are volunteers for doing that part of things? I'm used to doing the grunt work though, heh.

Honestly, I think a lot of people are going to be severely unhappy with this, especially if it's the only thing she releases. The content of this manga is pretty much exactly what I would have asked for without regard for anyone else, which is dope for me, but going to be disappointing to people for which SKU is primarily a yuri anime. Utena and Anthy have no real screen time except for a flashback/hallucination? It's otherwise entirely Touga and Saionji and Akio. No Juri, no Miki, no one else. Period. It's a total sausage-fest.

It's a sausage fest with fucking baller clothes, I swear to god I'm going to do a breakdown of what Touga and Saionji are wearing and why. Especially Saionji because holy shit he's adorable. And yes, he is wearing fucking spectator shoes. Yes, the ones like Akio's. etc-saiowank

If you want help with lettering, which is what I think you were referring to, I'd be happy to.  That's actually one of my favorite parts ('cause I'm a masochist).  I got really good at it while making my own comics.

Yay pretty pictures~~~~!!!! (thank you thank you thank you!!!!!)

I'm sure I'll edit this after I "read" the chap. brb *runs away with excitement*etc-jurishlick

Edit:

OMG. [] Yes those cloths ARE baller AF!!!  I see what everyone was saying now about... well everything!  I also love that they are clearly using smart phone (looks like Saionji has an iPhone) And yes, sausage-fest galore.  Can we please talk about how Touga and Saionji are walking off together EXACTLY like the last panel w/ Utena and Anthy walking away together??????etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love[/color]]  Again thank you soooo much!!!  I needed this!!! I am so ridiculously happy even though I understood maybe 30% of what was actually being said.

Last edited by LadyButterflyNebula (08-02-2017 12:09:56 PM)

#83 | Back to Top08-03-2017 07:56:19 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Not related to the new manga per say, but I knew you'd like this (and it has to do with Akio and cloths, or lack there of):

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr092ovqE71qmubgso1_500.jpg

Now back to our regularly scheduled geek out over the new chapter. school-devil

Last edited by LadyButterflyNebula (08-03-2017 07:56:26 AM)

#84 | Back to Top08-05-2017 07:13:49 PM

Shinolala2
Forum's Favorite Mommy
Website

I would like something to do with wakaba and or kaido. In the winter  chapter.

if you have any rgu art request please do ask!
https://www.instagram.com/joyb0mb/

#85 | Back to Top08-07-2017 10:27:36 AM

DrCornelius
Saionji Slapper

Aside from just complaining about how Utena has such a minor role/the other characters don't show up, there was something that stuck out to me that I thought I'd mention;

During the childhood flashback, it shows that Touga/Nanami and Saionji have also been orphaned along with Utena, and that "many kids are dead". Prievously I had always figured either Touga or Saionji had an elderly relative that died, but their parents were killed too! Even more ominously, it's never said what the cause was.

Was something(or someone) trying to kill off the main cast when they were children? I get a strong "Black Rose" vibe from this. I doubt this is the case, but if so, that would be an extremely interesting plot point to focus new chapters on.

Last edited by DrCornelius (08-07-2017 10:28:09 AM)

#86 | Back to Top08-07-2017 11:53:20 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

DrCornelius wrote:

Aside from just complaining about how Utena has such a minor role/the other characters don't show up, there was something that stuck out to me that I thought I'd mention;

During the childhood flashback, it shows that Touga/Nanami and Saionji have also been orphaned along with Utena, and that "many kids are dead". Prievously I had always figured either Touga or Saionji had an elderly relative that died, but their parents were killed too! Even more ominously, it's never said what the cause was.

Was something(or someone) trying to kill off the main cast when they were children? I get a strong "Black Rose" vibe from this. I doubt this is the case, but if so, that would be an extremely interesting plot point to focus new chapters on.

I haven't worked out the translation yet, so that sounds amazing!  It would be really interesting to see what a Black Rose arc in the manga might look like, and give an explanation for the Spirit Akio and Utena running around.  What ever the case I am just jazzed for new material.

#87 | Back to Top08-07-2017 12:53:30 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

DrCornelius wrote:

Prievously I had always figured either Touga or Saionji had an elderly relative that died, but their parents were killed too! Even more ominously, it's never said what the cause was.

I think it's implied in the show that Saionji is an orphan because he says that he doesn't have a home to go back to (I think?). But anyways, damn, these implications that there was some disaster... they're super chilling and weird. This chapter seems so nuts, which is a very good thing.

im a shadow play girl irl

#88 | Back to Top08-07-2017 01:01:21 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

LadyButterflyNebula wrote:

It would be really interesting to see what a Black Rose arc in the manga might look like, and give an explanation for the Spirit Akio and Utena running around.

The manga does have a take on the Black Rose Arc; it's just very short and not connected to the main story... but it's in volume 5, and it's called The Black Rose Seal.

#89 | Back to Top08-07-2017 01:21:21 PM

DrCornelius
Saionji Slapper

I suspect that I'm reading too far into it, and the event was a disease outbreak/natural disaster, but even that doesn't necessarily rule it out - Like in the Sega Saturn game when the player's father is stricken with a severe case of "Akio want's you to leave-itis".

It's pretty scary to think that there's another magic practitioner out there who was so cruel and strongly motivated to prevent Revolution from occurring, that they were willing to murder a bunch of children and their parents(I suspect the children were the target, and the parents died trying to save them). And if that's the case, this person is probably still out there. And not very happy about their failure.

I also like the irony of it, because that event is what leads Utena to going to Ohtori to begin with.

EDIT: And it's suspicious that none of these characters mention what the cause of this event was. You would think such a horrible event like this, with their parents dying along with so many other people, they would never forget what caused this to happen....unless it's being wiped from their memories, just like their memories of Utena post-Revolution! emot-aaa

Last edited by DrCornelius (08-07-2017 02:12:22 PM)

#90 | Back to Top08-07-2017 02:41:33 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

DrCornelius wrote:

It's pretty scary to think that there's another magic practitioner out there who was so cruel and strongly motivated to prevent Revolution from occurring, that they were willing to murder a bunch of children and their parents(I suspect the children were the target, and the parents died trying to save them). And if that's the case, this person is probably still out there. And not very happy about their failure.

I also like the irony of it, because that event is what leads Utena to going to Ohtori to begin with.

EDIT: And it's suspicious that none of these characters mention what the cause of this event was. You would think such a horrible event like this, with their parents dying along with so many other people, they would never forget what caused this to happen....unless it's being wiped from their memories, just like their memories of Utena post-Revolution! emot-aaa

This is very interesting, because a while back I was speculating about duelist backstories with a friend, and he suggested that Saionji might not have a home or parents, which if combined with Utena's and the Kiyuus' parents being dead or otherwise absent... interesting, right?

My idea was actually that it had been planned in advance--that Akio (and probably Anthy) had been interfering in the duelists' lives from the very beginning in order to make them into who they are when they decide to go to Ohtori, and this included killing their parents, directly or indirectly. My friend didn't care for that interpretation for personal reasons, so I'll have to tell him about this alternate explanation I found.

#91 | Back to Top08-07-2017 02:52:53 PM

DrCornelius
Saionji Slapper

I'm gonna make a speculation thread in a few minutes, so as not to derail the discussion about "After the Revolution" specifically. But I'm VERY interested in this potential plot point.

#92 | Back to Top08-07-2017 05:55:08 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

At Times, Love Is wrote:

My idea was actually that it had been planned in advance--that Akio (and probably Anthy) had been interfering in the duelists' lives from the very beginning in order to make them into who they are when they decide to go to Ohtori, and this included killing their parents, directly or indirectly. My friend didn't care for that interpretation for personal reasons, so I'll have to tell him about this alternate explanation I found.

I buy your interpretation.  In fact, the moment I see rose motifs on the Tenjous' coffins in the anime, I was certain Double A had their hands in her getting orphaned.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#93 | Back to Top08-07-2017 06:52:38 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Arale wrote:

I think it's implied in the show that Saionji is an orphan because he says that he doesn't have a home to go back to (I think?).

Strangely I never took this to indicate he was an orphan, though that also would make sense, especially since it would be why Touga, also an orphan, would attach himself to his total polar opposite.

Given Saionji's OMFG JAPANESE VALUES OMFG right down to the family name usage, I took his having nowhere to go being more to do with that his family would not let him come home in shame, or he'd perceive it that way. Whether he is broke by choice because he won't ask them for things, or if his family is broke, it doesn't really matter...I just assumed he does have a family, but maybe not the best relationship with them.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#94 | Back to Top08-07-2017 07:40:18 PM

DrCornelius
Saionji Slapper

I figured Saionji had a very strict and abusive father (in the beating way, not the sexual way) that kicked him out of the house for some reason, and that's why he has such a contradictory focus on honor, yet also thinks it's acceptable to hit women (and Miki.) Notice how when Juri hits people, she only does it when nobody else is around.

Up until the new chapter, I never guessed his parents were straight up DEAD. Which makes me really curious about the family situation of other characters. Is Wakaba an orphan too? Just imagining that is terribly sad.

Last edited by DrCornelius (08-07-2017 07:40:29 PM)

#95 | Back to Top08-07-2017 09:20:13 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Clearly everybody at Ohtori Academy is at least missing their mother, which qualifies them to be potential Evangelion pilots. school-eng101

#96 | Back to Top08-07-2017 10:05:08 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

That's how I read Saionji, too. I think it's because so many of his characteristics would have required a toxic masculine influence, like he wouldn't act this way if no one had been the template for that. It makes the most sense that that would be an abusive father.

Dallbun wrote:

Clearly everybody at Ohtori Academy is at least missing their mother, which qualifies them to be potential Evangelion pilots. school-eng101

Oh my God. emot-aaa

#97 | Back to Top08-07-2017 11:31:16 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Giovanna wrote:

That's how I read Saionji, too. I think it's because so many of his characteristics would have required a toxic masculine influence, like he wouldn't act this way if no one had been the template for that. It makes the most sense that that would be an abusive father.

Dallbun wrote:

Oh my God. emot-aaa

Oh come on???

Is this seriously the first time this caught everyone's attention?

Hello Shin Kakumei Evangelion emot-rofl emot-dance emot-rofl

Last edited by Ashnod (08-07-2017 11:31:32 PM)

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#98 | Back to Top08-08-2017 08:50:54 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

At Times, Love Is wrote:

LadyButterflyNebula wrote:

It would be really interesting to see what a Black Rose arc in the manga might look like, and give an explanation for the Spirit Akio and Utena running around.

The manga does have a take on the Black Rose Arc; it's just very short and not connected to the main story... but it's in volume 5, and it's called The Black Rose Seal.

Thanks for pointing that out!  I had a serious concussion a couple years ago and apparently the manga Black Rose arc was one of the things obliterated from my memory.  Short, bitter, and to the point.  Just the way no one in Utena likes it. XD

At Times, Love Is wrote:

DrCornelius wrote:

This is very interesting, because a while back I was speculating about duelist backstories with a friend, and he suggested that Saionji might not have a home or parents, which if combined with Utena's and the Kiyuus' parents being dead or otherwise absent... interesting, right?

I like this (I have to keep reminding myself Miki’s family is only in the anime).  It’s got a lot of potential.

Giovanna wrote:

Arale wrote:

I think it's implied in the show that Saionji is an orphan because he says that he doesn't have a home to go back to (I think?).

Strangely I never took this to indicate he was an orphan, though that also would make sense, especially since it would be why Touga, also an orphan, would attach himself to his total polar opposite.

Given Saionji's OMFG JAPANESE VALUES OMFG right down to the family name usage, I took his having nowhere to go being more to do with that his family would not let him come home in shame, or he'd perceive it that way. Whether he is broke by choice because he won't ask them for things, or if his family is broke, it doesn't really matter...I just assumed he does have a family, but maybe not the best relationship with them.

Yeah I always took it as a point of pride too.  Like it would be too embarrassing for him to go home.

DrCornelius wrote:

I figured Saionji had a very strict and abusive father (in the beating way, not the sexual way) that kicked him out of the house for some reason, and that's why he has such a contradictory focus on honor, yet also thinks it's acceptable to hit women (and Miki.) Notice how when Juri hits people, she only does it when nobody else is around.

Up until the new chapter, I never guessed his parents were straight up DEAD. Which makes me really curious about the family situation of other characters. Is Wakaba an orphan too? Just imagining that is terribly sad.

Ohtori Academy for Revolutionary Orphans. It’s like the Muppet babies only HORRIBLY FUCKING SAD.

Ashnod wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Dallbun wrote:

Oh my God. emot-aaa

Oh come on???

Is this seriously the first time this caught everyone's attention?

Hello Shin Kakumei Evangelion emot-rofl emot-dance emot-rofl

It also makes them 98% of all Disney Princesses.

#99 | Back to Top08-08-2017 08:54:58 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

HEY GUYS

SINCE WE'RE ON THE SUBJECT OF TOUGA AND SAIONJI

CAN WE JUST TAKE A SEC TO LOOK AT THESE PICS

http://i.imgur.com/j4RQbPU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ucdxRZV.jpg

Saionji is literally myopic and Touga got his hair style from Lucifer in The Sandman.

Also it's glorious how you know without the name or hair color to prompt you that that's Saionji just by his facial expressions, even at this early stage in design.

#100 | Back to Top08-08-2017 09:42:04 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

HEY GUYS

SINCE WE'RE ON THE SUBJECT OF TOUGA AND SAIONJI

CAN WE JUST TAKE A SEC TO LOOK AT THESE PICS

http://i.imgur.com/j4RQbPU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ucdxRZV.jpg

Saionji is literally myopic and Touga got his hair style from Lucifer in The Sandman.

Also it's glorious how you know without the name or hair color to prompt you that that's Saionji just by his facial expressions, even at this early stage in design.

OMG You're right!  Look at that sneer!

And yes I was thinking Lucifer too!!!  You know, at times I have speculated about Touga being like Lucifer from Sandman.  Not quiet evil, daddy issues, complicated approaches to the ladies he's genuinely attached to... (Utena/ Maze).

Where did these scans come from? MOAR

edit: added to some ideas about Touga as Lucifer

Last edited by LadyButterflyNebula (08-08-2017 09:44:14 AM)

Board footer