This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-03-2009 09:40:23 AM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

Anthy - Dissociative Identity Disorder?

We've all come to speculate that Anthy is the puppeteer of the show, adjusting her manipulation techniques depending on the person being focused on.  But I've come to wonder (probably due to all the soap operas I've been watching lately) if Anthy, instead of being incredibly adaptable, is suffering from some form of DID.

I apologize for not being very thorough in this, but here are some symptoms from Wikipedia:

* multiple mannerisms, attitudes and beliefs that are not similar to each other
    * headaches and other body pains
    * distortion or loss of subjective time
    * depersonalization
    * amnesia
    * depression
    * derealization
    * flashbacks of abuse/trauma
    * unexplainable phobias
    * sudden anger without a justified cause
    * lack of intimacy and personal connections
    * frequent panic/anxiety attacks
    * auditory hallucinations of the personalities inside their mind

We've also seen Anthy in at least a few forms:

Spectacled Anthy - Perhaps the gatekeeper of the personalities, protecting the "real" Anthy from any harm.
Mamiya - We saw how tired Anthy was after assuming this role, maybe even disoriented
"Real" Anthy - The Anthy inside the "coffin", could be a metaphor for being trapped inside herself

What do you guys think?

#2 | Back to Top06-03-2009 10:46:55 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Re: Anthy - Dissociative Identity Disorder?

DID is the new name for multiple personalities, right? Interesting notion. I don't think I would subscribe to it myself, but it's not like I can argue with it. Certainly the separation between Anthy and her Mamiya persona is rather ambiguous. It wouldn't be a great leap to see Mamiya as a distinct personality within Anthy rather than just a performance. A little strange though, since she obviously took up the role for a concrete reason, rather than a response to some kind of trauma. Of course, if you argue that she was suffering from the disorder all along, you could say that she loses track of the difference herself...

Worth exploring I suppose, but I have to say I prefer Anthy as puppet-mistress. Anthy as pure victim is somehow...too obvious for my taste.

Anybody else have an opinion on the matter?

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#3 | Back to Top06-03-2009 12:01:50 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

It certainly is an interesting theory! The biggest problem I find with it is that amnesia is often associated with this disorder. Anthy would have to have black outs and gaps in memory whenever she switched over to another personality, and the personality may not retain certain vital memories, such as orders from Akio. If Anthy always ran the risk of becoming someone who acts completely different than how she's supposed to, it could cause many problems for Akio.

However, the idea that Mamiya could be an alternate personality would explain why she doesn't know why she's so tired-- she might not remember what she had been doing. And her ability to play the piano could be like how Sybil (yes, I'm mentioning Sybil. Go figure) was only able to play the piano when she was a certain personality.

Or all this could be explained by the fact that she's a witch, but both could factor into it, possibly.

#4 | Back to Top06-03-2009 12:29:46 PM

Prince_of_Stars
Someday Shiner
Website

When you guys say she was tired, do you mean when she was being Mamiya?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/chani_sama/prince-sig.png

Sir Hellsing: Leader of the Feminine Failure Revolution
Faithfully failing at feminine tasks, gender roles, and the conventionality of femininity since 1990.

#5 | Back to Top06-03-2009 07:09:01 PM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

I doubt Anthy had DID.
She seemed more like a textbook example of a person who suffered from psychological (emotional) abuse with signs of battered person syndrome. Akio's repeatedly used her for his own end. He forced her to play the role of the Rose Bride. I am sure he knew she was mistreated by the student body, but he did nothing to stop it. That bastrad dared to blame Anthy for what happened to Dios. He even tried to convince everyone that it was his sister's will to become the Rose Bride and be his pin cushion. Despite all the crap she had been put through, Anthy did not object to any of it. She remained in Ohtori, neither able nor willing to leave her abusive brother. When Utena came along to offer assistance and a possible way of escape, Anthy's initial reaction was rejection and denial. I think she could have secretly mocked Utena for being so naive as to think she could be her rescuer.

#6 | Back to Top06-04-2009 12:31:34 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Anthy definitely behaves like a battered spouse. Also, I must restate that DID does not exist.

"People who present with the appearance of alleged multiple personality may have learned to exhibit the symptoms in return for social reinforcement. One case cited as an example for this viewpoint is the "Sybil" case, popularized by the news media. Psychiatrist Herbert Spiegel stated that "Sybil" had been provided with the idea of multiple personalities by her treating psychiatrist, Cornelia Wilbur, to describe states of feeling with which she was unfamiliar."

This is only one instance, but most psychiatric institutions in the country now employ the tactic of simply ignoring a person's "DID". Evenually, the subject returns to normal once they stop thinking they have multiple personalities. Another famous case involved a 45-year old woman (who loved growing roses) and a terrible psychoanalyst. She had come to him with depression. Soon, however, she regressed towards the mean (returned to her normal behavior pattern without any real outside cause) and was ready to quit her treatment. But then she had a dream where she was raped. The bad psychoanalyst, smelling blood, used hypnosis and what amounted to torture in order to make her recall an outlandish scenario where her grandparents raped her in a satanic ritual and sacrificed the child that resulted. The woman also began to display 144 different personalities, one for each of the outfits in her closet. The FBI investigated her claims but found no evidence. The woman distanced herself from her grandparents, a sweet couple who had raised her and who had shown her nothing but kindness and love. Eventually the woman ran out of money. "Treatment" ended, and she regressed towards the mena. Realizing that wearing different clothes didn't make her a different person, the personalities vanished. Now that woman is happily married, and leads a normal life.

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#7 | Back to Top06-04-2009 01:07:13 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

The idea is, to me, outside of canon but the theory is interesting enough.  If we are talking personality disorders or other psych related disorders, I could imagine her having PTSD or else schizoid or schizotypal disorder.  However, the DID makes for an interesting fanfic idea.  Or you could maybe pull off a merging of the plot for Sybil and make Anthy fill in as Shirley Mason.  No...actually that would just be downright disturbing.  But I'm just saying.

#8 | Back to Top06-04-2009 02:42:14 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Perhaps nobody has multiple personalities but almost everyone has multiple personas (masks) which they wear for the benefit of the world, certain someones, or even to fool themselves.
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/d/10775-2/ … 26_095.jpg
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/d/10783-2/ … 26_099.jpg

#9 | Back to Top06-04-2009 09:35:54 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Well of course. In fact its speculated that the reason people can so easily manifest fake multiple personalities is because we already naturally manifest multiple personas.

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#10 | Back to Top06-05-2009 05:03:05 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Stormy: Worth exploring I suppose, but I have to say I prefer Anthy as puppet-mistress. Anthy as pure victim is somehow...too obvious for my taste.

I'd have to agree. Sure Anthy is a victim in some senses, but she's also getting into pulling people's strings! As much as she gets into anything. school-eng101

And I also doubt the writers wrote Anthy as having DID. Or that they even know what it is. emot-tongue
But I think it's a creative idea Alexandra - and I commend you for adding yet another theory to the myriads of theories us fans enjoy about the weird and wondrous Himemiya Anthy...

#11 | Back to Top06-05-2009 02:00:51 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Rather than full on multiple personalities I'd say she suffers more from depersonalization disorder.

20 threads dead so far.

#12 | Back to Top06-05-2009 02:54:41 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Actually, trauma experts discuss dissociation as being a spectrum, rather than a single disorder, ranging from dissociation as a very functional response to traumatic situations to dissociation that is incredibly disruptive and dysfunctional (the DID end of the spectrum).  DID is STILL in the DSM-IV-TR, and is therefore considered to be a psychiatric disorder.  However, the dissociation spectrum is a typical manifestation of symptoms for several trauma-related conditions, such as PTSD, complex PTSD, and borderline personality disorder (which may, in fact, be a garbage-can category for difficult-to-work-with cases of complex PTSD).

DID is extremely controversial in psychiatric and psychological circles, but it is overly zealous to contend that it does not exist.  There is still considerable scholarship regarding DID and studies of patients diagnosed with DID.

Not all dissociation comes with blackouts and amnesia.  Dissociative sensations vary widely between individuals, and actual loss of time is fairly uncommon.

I would certainly agree that Anthy shows signs of maintaining high levels of dissociation throughout the series.

#13 | Back to Top06-06-2009 03:46:41 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

Thanks for the thoughts!  I agree, it'd make a very interesting fanfic.  I also agree that everyone more or less is able to fake certain things, coming up with multiple "personas" as someone said.  DID may be a little extreme for Anthy's case, but nonetheless it's a fun way of looking at her! emot-smile

Board footer