This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top02-13-2012 08:32:47 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Re: JesuOtaku & Oancitizen Review The Utena Movie.

I watched it, and there really weren't that many (any) harsh jokes about lesbianism, any wariness was expressed in a way that was fairly self-deprecating. There wasn't anything more pointed than the "summon bearded intellectual" remark.

If she's posted harsher things on forums or whatnot, I'm interested in seeing links.

#52 | Back to Top02-13-2012 01:28:55 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Overlord Morgus wrote:

I watched it, and there really weren't that many (any) harsh jokes about lesbianism, any wariness was expressed in a way that was fairly self-deprecating. There wasn't anything more pointed than the "summon bearded intellectual" remark.

If she's posted harsher things on forums or whatnot, I'm interested in seeing links.

Did you read the whole thread, Morgus?  Jesu actually came on here, owned her previous homophobia, and said her mind has been changed since then.  It was a brave thing to do.  Do we need to go digging up the stuff she said on forums when she believed something different?

#53 | Back to Top02-13-2012 04:43:07 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

okay nvm

Also, how did she find out about this thread?

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (02-13-2012 04:57:16 PM)

#54 | Back to Top02-18-2012 06:30:56 PM

RhythmFusion
Rose Smilee

That's what I'd like to know. I didn't think she knew this place existed.emot-keke

Last edited by RhythmFusion (02-18-2012 06:32:09 PM)

"But screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail." ~ Lady Macbeth; Macbeth - Act One, Scene 7
"Crying is such hypocrisy. How can happiness cause the same reaction as sadness? Does pleasure share the same edge of the blade of life as pain?" - What His Crimson Eyes Believe in: Ch. 2

#55 | Back to Top02-18-2012 06:37:48 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Well, it is the Internet.  We found out about Jesu's old forum threads; she found out about ours.  Fair is fair.  emot-keke

I don't know about Jesu, but certainly some Internet-famous people and sites have a Google Alert set up, where they get a digest of new appearances of their name on the public Internet.  The SKU forum of IRG is public.  So that's possible too.

#56 | Back to Top02-18-2012 07:26:42 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Incidentally, I saw a thread on the forums at TVTropes a few weeks back about this thread here. It didn't get far; the original poster basically said they didn't like some people's comments about what Jesu had said, followed by a couple posts pointing out this thread had resolved things and asking what it had to do with TVTropes in the first place, followed by a mod closing it.

But things get around!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#57 | Back to Top02-20-2012 08:01:19 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

I'll bet she camps TVTropes.

#58 | Back to Top02-24-2012 03:45:51 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

RhythmFusion wrote:

That's what I'd like to know. I didn't think she knew this place existed.emot-keke

This is the biggest SKU fansite on the Interwebs. I'd be pretty surprise if a review worth her salt could do any research on Utena without bumping into this place.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#59 | Back to Top02-24-2012 04:00:20 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Lightice wrote:

RhythmFusion wrote:

This is the biggest SKU fansite on the Interwebs. I'd be pretty surprise if a review worth her salt could do any research on Utena without bumping into this place.

We are the third Google hit for the word Utena, after only the Wikipedia article on SKU and the Wikipedia article on the town in Lithuania.  We are the first hit for Utena fansite.  emot-smile

#60 | Back to Top02-27-2012 01:46:56 PM

RhythmFusion
Rose Smilee

What if you use something other than Google?emot-confused

"But screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail." ~ Lady Macbeth; Macbeth - Act One, Scene 7
"Crying is such hypocrisy. How can happiness cause the same reaction as sadness? Does pleasure share the same edge of the blade of life as pain?" - What His Crimson Eyes Believe in: Ch. 2

#61 | Back to Top02-27-2012 03:09:01 PM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

Google also takes your previous activity into account, so hurr.  Are you using a computer you don't normally use when you conduct this research?

#62 | Back to Top02-27-2012 03:25:26 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

This is not a thread about Google search algorithms. emot-smile  That said, this is my normal computer and I'm logged into my Google account, so yes, they could be using my previous activity.  I suppose there's not really an objective answer anymore to the question "where is site X in Google results on the search term Y?"

#63 | Back to Top02-27-2012 04:58:05 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

satyreyes wrote:

This is not a thread about Google search algorithms. emot-smile  That said, this is my normal computer and I'm logged into my Google account, so yes, they could be using my previous activity.  I suppose there's not really an objective answer anymore to the question "where is site X in Google results on the search term Y?"

JO has known of Empty Movement for quite some time, she referenced some of Gio's Akio Shrine before.  JO does a lot of research for any anime she reviews, and she's a fan of the show as well. 

I don't think she found IRG by rooting around for people's opinion of herself on semi-obscure fanforums or that there was anything malicious or suspicious about her finding this site and using the forum.  That's what it is for.  If you saw people talking about you online, in any context, you would want to join in on the conversation.  She had every right to.  And considering some of the very impolite and personal comments that were made about her here she responded maturely and with an open mind, and I respect and admire that.   

Anyway, if anyone wants to get this thread back on track (and I take responsibility for a great deal of its derailment) I think JO and Oancitizen released a commentary on their Utena Movie review.  JO is a pretty straight shooter and while she does do humorous skits and such, her actual reviews are very much her straightforward opinion and there aren't really any theatrics.  Oancitizen strikes me a bit as a character, though (much like Nostalgia chick puts on a much more serious and cynical attitude than she actually possesses in her reviews) so I was wondering what his more personal, off-the-cuff thoughts on the movie are.

#64 | Back to Top06-15-2012 06:13:20 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Is it strange that so many months after the review came out, my only complaint is that she mischaracterized Kyle?

Board footer