This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-29-2007 02:16:41 PM

Kealdrea
Anthy Assailer

Re: Baseball fans...?

I'm shocked that I had no idea who won until school was over. o_o You'd think that since I live in New Hampshire every class would be shouting "YEAH, THE RED SOX ROCK!" and there would be confetti raining down from the sky, and they would make an annoucment about it over the intercom...

I'm severely disappointed in sports fans. D:

Jitsu wa hitode desu...

#27 | Back to Top10-29-2007 03:03:56 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

I had the same experience! emot-gonk It was so sad!

Because of this win, my dad's childhood friend gets free furniture. That's really all I know about baseball.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#28 | Back to Top10-29-2007 03:20:30 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Oh, yeah, I nearly forgot that that one furniture store "felt so confident that the Red Sox would win that anyone who bought furniture on a certain day would get it for free." Of course, their marketing scheme was probably hoping that the Red Sox wouldn't win, since that means that they're out of a ton of money now. I heard that one guy bought about $4,000 worth of furniture.

Also, I was actually disappointed that I was feeling too sick to go to school this morning because I was looking forward to hearing what everyone had to say. Apparently I didn't miss out on much.

#29 | Back to Top10-29-2007 03:25:23 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

mazoboom wrote:

KissingT.Kiryuu wrote:

I think sports are retarded...just thought id send that out there. I have no respect for baseball tards who yell and scream and riot if their team loses...

Neither do I. I hope you don't think that all baseball fans are like that.

Just the Yankee fans. school-devil emot-wink emot-wink emot-biggrin

(Yay Sox!  Yep... I'm a Boston fan.)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#30 | Back to Top10-29-2007 07:34:43 PM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

Cerise wrote:

College Softball World Series (FAVORITE!)

Mmm, I like this just for the girls school-devil  Except, I think the pitching circle is too close to the batter.  Those games are always so pitching dominated, it's not one team winning the CWS, it's one pitcher.  Especially since the same pitcher can pitch so long in softball as opposed to baseball.  They need to push back the pitcher a little.  Otherwise I like it.  I can't say the same for Men's College World Series.  I need wooden bats to make it feel right. If there were a higher form of Softball (besides the World Cup every once in a while now that there's only one more Olympics for it) then I probably wouldn't care about the College Women either.  I hate the corporation that is MLB and the networks that produce the games, but I just can't not like it because it is the top 1% of the top 1% of players.  It's wonderful

#31 | Back to Top10-29-2007 10:16:05 PM

Lissa
Miki Molester
Website

Razara wrote:

I'm glad that the Red Sox won, since around here, Baseball seems like some sort of cult. We have to translate sentences like, "The Red Sox always win," in Spanish, being a Yankees fan is disgraceful, and if you don't stay up until one in the morning to watch the entire game, you're not a real fan.

And welcome to life in Green Bay the day of a Packer game. XD I kid you not: they showed a picture of the streets of Green Bay during Super Bowl 31, and it looked like a fricken ghost town. Of course, the minute the Packers won, the streets were crazy. But, unlike most towns, we didn't riot. emot-biggrin

To me, all it is is watching a bunch of men chew gum with their mouth open, spit, touch themselves, and shake their ass whenever they pitch the ball. Watching all of this over, and over, would eventually make me go crazy.

And me, being a straight female, asks just what is wrong with that? XD

See, I grew up watching sports, so I enjoy watching the World Series and such. Although...I didn't see much of it this year because of working nights. Actually, since I started working second shift and third shift, I've missed most sports I love watching. From what I understand, the World Series this year...sucked, actually. The Rockies just folded up when the Series started.

Baseball does seem to take a long time, but in reality, it doesn't take much longer than most other sports. For example, the Packers/Broncos game tonight took a bit longer than 3 hours. Most baseball games are shorter than that. What people consider "delays" is actually part of the strategy. Although, I'm sad that in two years (is it?) they're eliminating having pitchers hit in the National League. After that, they might as well merge the two leagues into one and change the divisions so that they are similar to how the NBA and NHL sort their conferences.

Icon from Kawaii Not

#32 | Back to Top10-29-2007 10:47:54 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

The one that really drives me up the wall is (American) football.  Somebody drops the ball?  Stop.  Somebody does something with the ball?  Stop.  Somebody looks like they're thinking about the ball?  Sto... well, it's not quite that bad, but really, it just makes rugby or soccer (um, real football?) look so much more appealing.  Godzilla could spontaneously awaken from beneath Waikato Stadium during a match and it'd be insisted everybody keep playing.

Of course, I can watch people throw darts or play pool on television, so I shouldn't really talk too much.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#33 | Back to Top10-29-2007 11:12:07 PM

Lissa
Miki Molester
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Of course, I can watch people throw darts or play pool on television, so I shouldn't really talk too much.

Dude! I love watching darts on TV! Maybe because in the U.S. it's mostly something you do when you're drunk, but the fact that the announcers have a hernia about a guy throwing darts is just amazing. Besides, ya gotta love a sport where the top player in the world looks like he just downed a pint of Guinness.

I love watching rugby, though. I'm pissed that I can't seem to find it on TV anywhere. I have satellite, and they had an Australian sports channel here for a while that covered rugby, soccer, and Aussie rules football. Whenever rugby or Aussie rules football was on, I had it on.

Icon from Kawaii Not

#34 | Back to Top10-30-2007 01:49:10 AM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

Lissa wrote:

Baseball does seem to take a long time, but in reality, it doesn't take much longer than most other sports. For example, the Packers/Broncos game tonight took a bit longer than 3 hours. Most baseball games are shorter than that. What people consider "delays" is actually part of the strategy.

I completely agree. Everyone talks about the wasted time in baseball when the ball is in play for most of the time (except the few dead balls from fouls or hit batsmen), and anything can happen at any time.  Hidden ball trick, anyone?  Whereas American football, there is always, always downtime.  The clock is always running, and what are the teams doing? Running on and off the field doing nothing.  But that sport never gets people complaining.

Lissa wrote:

Although, I'm sad that in two years (is it?) they're eliminating having pitchers hit in the National League. After that, they might as well merge the two leagues into one and change the divisions so that they are similar to how the NBA and NHL sort their conferences.

Sounds like a dirty rumor to me.  There'd be a huge uproar, and it would not go over well.  Although with Bud "Weasel" Selig, anything is possible.  He already has merged the two leagues into one, and he when he did that he wanted to mirror the NBA/NHL East/West conferences.

#35 | Back to Top10-30-2007 01:58:48 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

But do you watch people play cards? I love the card game channel.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#36 | Back to Top10-30-2007 06:08:36 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

mazoboom wrote:

I completely agree. Everyone talks about the wasted time in baseball when the ball is in play for most of the time (except the few dead balls from fouls or hit batsmen), and anything can happen at any time.  Hidden ball trick, anyone?  Whereas American football, there is always, always downtime.  The clock is always running, and what are the teams doing? Running on and off the field doing nothing.  But that sport never gets people complaining.

For me, the difference is at least something on the television is moving.  Even if it's running on and off the field, there is something going on.  But when it comes to baseball, everyone stands still, all of the attention is only in one place, etc.  I mean, if the ball gets hit, the other 7 players on the field get to do something, but if not....they stand and wait.  And this isn't that I don't like baseball, I just get kind of bored watching it when all it consists of is walks and strikeouts (plus, Indiana doesn't have a MLB team--if that changed, I might start getting more into it).  I realize the strategy to it, but unfortunately, watching people strategize isn't nearly as exciting as watching people do something more exciting.

But the funny thing is, for me, this only applies to MLB.  Even the CWS doesn't bother me, because it doesn't feel like there is quite the number of delays.  Then again, with the aluminum bats, any decent swing has a chance of being much bigger than it would be with a wooden bat, right?  I'd like to see them get rid of the aluminum bats as well, just so they transition better into MLB. 

Ooo...rumor has it that the CWS might move to Indianapolis in a few years.  Might.  That would be so friggin' awesome!  I've got to remember that some of the regional action for the LLWS takes place in a town just outside of Indy and check it out too.

Of course, my favorite sport to watch is tennis, which I know many (most?) people think is about as boring to watch as paint drying, but damn...there's some lovely action there.  Get a match up of Fabrice Santoro and Roger Federer and you've got the coolest match in the planet going on.  Just because even Federer can't figure out what the heck to do with Frabrice "The Magician" Santoro.  etc-love

Last edited by Cerise (10-30-2007 06:10:32 AM)

#37 | Back to Top10-30-2007 12:38:00 PM

Lissa
Miki Molester
Website

mazoboom wrote:

Sounds like a dirty rumor to me.  There'd be a huge uproar, and it would not go over well.  Although with Bud "Weasel" Selig, anything is possible.  He already has merged the two leagues into one, and he when he did that he wanted to mirror the NBA/NHL East/West conferences.

I just checked online, and I couldn't find the article. I could have sworn that useless piece of shit Selig had that all set up to go. Because, of course, that would mean there'd be an even greater disparity between the team with money and the teams without, and the teams without money would just be forced to move to cities that can shell out the big bucks.

Selig's not on my list of favorite people. He basically beat the Brewers to the ground as his "example" of a small market team that wouldn't be able to compete without HIS ideas. (I'm kind of a homer, can you tell?)

I'll tell ya, I was pissed when he moved us to the National League because that meant that we'd have to get rid of guys that I liked that were nearing the end of their careers. (Heck, the only reason Hank Aaron finished his career with the Brewers was because of the DH rule!) However, now that we're set up to be an "NL" team, I like the play better. NL ball is more strategy, where AL ball is just "Gee, let's see how far we can beat the crap out of the ball!"

Icon from Kawaii Not

#38 | Back to Top10-30-2007 05:26:18 PM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

Selig is so pro-owner, it's frustrating. I hate most of the things he's done to MLB.  He's such a weasel who only wants to give money to the owners.  There's a reason that all the owners love him (as a former owner, he knows what they want).   The combination of interleague play, wild card, and unbalanced schedules all work together to make things bad.  You can't have all those at once. Anyway, I could go on forever about him, but he'd never allow DH in the National League because the NL owners don't want it.  They like not having to raise their payroll.

I like the non-DH because baseball is a logical, pure game.  It makes sense to have the 9 people on the field being the 9 people who bat.  The DH introduces an impurity.  I personally think pitchers should learn how to hit. There's nothing better than a Zambrano or Owings hitting a ball a long way. Or a Matsuzaka getting a World Series hit.

#39 | Back to Top10-30-2007 06:01:28 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

mazoboom wrote:

I personally think pitchers should learn how to hit.

QFT.  It drives me nuts that pitchers don't bat at AL ballparks.  I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does.  I don't mind the idea of a DH in general, but only if it's in addition to rather than replacing a player throughout the game.  I guess I prefer an "extra hitter" as we had in summer softball.  I liked being the EH, it meant I could get the dug out all clean and organized while my team was fielding. emot-tongue

#40 | Back to Top10-30-2007 11:12:39 PM

Lissa
Miki Molester
Website

mazoboom wrote:

Selig is so pro-owner, it's frustrating. I hate most of the things he's done to MLB.

I know I'm beating a dead horse *bam bam!* but it was just as frustrating, if not more so, to have him own and run my Brewers, knowing we were in a shitty stadium and that the only reason we were getting a new stadium was because he couldn't sell the Brewers with how bad they were doing in the late nineties and, well...up until the end of the season before this. emot-rofl His daughter didn't have a clue what she was doing, either. I was happier to see players I liked leave the Brewers and do well than stay with them.

I think I figured out the problem. Roger Goddell, Gary Bettman, Selig, hell, even the France family (the people who run NASCAR) are all trying to run their leagues in the same way that David Stern did when he walked into the NBA and overhauled it and turned it into what it is today. Of course, the fact that he came in just as Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson were starting to turn the Bulls into the powerhouse that they were in the 1990's is a large chunk of that, too. They don't realize that not every league is the National Basketball Association. NASCAR doesn't need a playoff. The NHL doesn't need a balanced schedule. The NFL needs to have the Packers, Bears, and Vikings in the same division as the Buccaneers. MLB NEEDS TO HAVE A DH IN ONE OF THE LEAGUES!!!

No, I'm not overly vocal on this. Not at all. emot-rofl

I don't mind the general idea of the DH. BUT...you shouldn't need to use it for the pitcher. If I have a guy who's got a hot glove, but can't hit his way out of a paper bag, I should be able to use the designated hitter for him if I got a pitcher who's starting on a certain day who is an amazing hitter.

Besides, there's nothing funnier than seeing Randy Johnson hit a home run. Seriously. Except if it's his first ever home run, and it's against your home team, and you're at that game. emot-gonk

Icon from Kawaii Not

Board footer