This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-07-2009 12:47:01 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

The IRG Writer's Weekly Prompt

Some people like the idea of having prompts going in this thread.  Everyone is welcome to contribute ideas for prompts.  This is not meant for one person to have to carry the load unless I'm so amazing that I can pull out a decent prompt for a while.

The idea is to take a prompt, invite anyone to contribute, and then after five days or so, we go over what everyone has contributed for an online critique.  It isn't mandatory, but having constructive feedback is nice. (and if you really hate to be critiqued, leave a note about that.  Though it's not meant to be painful in anyway.)

There is no required length.  You can contribute to a prompt more than once if you are just that inspired.

[If I'm not around as I need to re-focus myself, someone else can take it up or let it die.  Either way is fine.  I thought I would put the opportunity out there and nothing more, not to look like I'm undedicated, but I have school and other life matters I need to attend to as well as other things I want to get in order.  Thanks for understanding.]

Alithea was kind enough to allow me to use her prompt just to get started.

Alithea wrote:

I ask for a homework assignment from another writer friend. This kind of thing makes me start thinking. Also maybe look into writing communities that do prompt challanges with a deadline. Dealines sometimes really help me get writing. 

Here is an example of a homework assignment.

Prompt: Blessings in the darkness

Include two or three of the following:
Candle
olive oil
pink ribbon tied around someone's neck
undone braids
fedora
green tea
"Everyone thinks they know me."
empty bottle of pills
a bizzare modern art piece

Take some musical inspriation from: Neko Case

People Got a lot of Nerve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXl870NoF4E

It's in the middle of the week that I'm putting this up.  I guess this prompt could officially start this Saturday, October 10th ( I am on -5 timezone) and the Friday of the next week could be where we close it for comments and critique.  The next prompt can be put up the next day (Saturday).

If you have prompt ideas, don't be shy and either post it, preferably on a Saturday (and if no one has put one up that day) or else PM me and I can put it up for you if that somehow is convenient.

I hope this can become sort of a routine, if at least a few people become involved.

If for any reason people want this in our IFD forum, notify a moderator.

Thanks and I hope there will be support and if I seem lazy, send me a PMified kick in the ass.  I'll appreciate it.

Note: depending on how things evolve, some of the guidelines might change as I go back and edit this post. 

Feel free to make suggestions.

Last edited by spoon-san (10-16-2009 12:16:44 AM)

Board footer