This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-28-2007 12:04:47 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

So when does Utena figure out she's about to get laid?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_078.jpg

Well here we are! At...a hotel. Look, she got white and red roses! How...symbolic.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_726.jpg

Tea and a snack while Utena stretches suggestively? Doesn't it occur to her as slightly inappropriate to do this in front of him? Is he really watching with a straight face?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_790.jpg

Oop! She's in the shower, yes?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_830.jpg

How sweet, he put the flowers in a vase while she was washing up. Hasn't it occured to her as odd she's spending the night in a hotel with a man?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_929.jpg

Christ, they even get room service! (Nice room service. Now I want sushi.)

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_1231.jpg

The bed is on the floor...this looks like a strictly Japanese style room, except for the chairs. What gives?

...well this was originally gonna be half a joke and half bitching, but seriously, what the crap? I mean, does she realize when they get the room where this is going? She seems oblivious, especially given her willingness to wave her legs around. Wouldn't she be a little more subdued if she was expecting the evening to lead to a sexual encounter? Her first sexual encounter?

Utena:  I didn't expect that to happen.
Utena:  All I came for today was to deliver roses.

emot-confused emot-confused emot-confused

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top03-28-2007 12:13:10 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Re: So when does Utena figure out she's about to get laid?

Wow.. for some reason, I've just now noticed they were staying at a hotel. I thought it was Utena's and Anthy's room.. but now I can't see how I thought that. Anthy was in the planetarium room. emot-confused

But, I always thought Utena's behavior was extremely.. nervous and babbly, just like when she was rambling about sandwiches while being laid. It seems full of jittery nervousness and hyperactivity. Perhaps she was expecting it, but just acting oblivious. Or maybe she sub-consciously expected it.

But, damn, Utena.. That stretching IS very suggestive. emot-aaa

#3 | Back to Top03-28-2007 01:52:14 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Sometimes I think she really is dense enough that she didn't know what was going on, but the rest of the time I think she knew but didn't want to admit it so she convinced herself that she didn't actually know. Does this make any sense?

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#4 | Back to Top03-28-2007 01:55:13 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

It does make sense. That's actually the view I take of it-- she knew, but wanted to pretend that she didn't. Anyone who gets a hotel room with a guy they are attracted to, have flirted with, have kissed, and have romantic feelings for has to be open to the possibility that something like that will happen. No matter how naive you are, if you have any idea of sex at all, you do have to realize at some point that things are leading up to it.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top03-28-2007 07:26:00 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I always thought Utena's doing weird stretchy things around Akio never made any sense in the first place. I can't think of them as being suggestive since its really not her style, but maybe something to soothe her nerves/calm her down? Something of a nervous habit?

But other than that I agree with ShatterMirror.

The first time I saw that episode I just went WTF?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#6 | Back to Top03-28-2007 07:37:31 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Some there are times I think that Utena only figured out that she was gonna get laid about half way through the actual sexual act, she just gives off that impressions sometimes. etc-love

#7 | Back to Top03-28-2007 08:28:16 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

YamPuff wrote:

I always thought Utena's doing weird stretchy things around Akio never made any sense in the first place. I can't think of them as being suggestive since its really not her style, but maybe something to soothe her nerves/calm her down? Something of a nervous habit?

But other than that I agree with ShatterMirror.

The first time I saw that episode I just went WTF?

Seconded and i agree with Tamago but i hope that she was just acting.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#8 | Back to Top03-28-2007 02:36:22 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

I still think that those scenes happened afterwards, at first she was trying to distract herself from thinking about it, then she had to lay back and think about it.

One could argue that she never truly realized even after it was all over, that is to say never truly faced up to it.

#9 | Back to Top03-28-2007 03:00:39 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

On one hand, it could be that she realized it right away. Perhaps her mind made the connect that, "Hot guy + Hotel room = Sex," right away. Then again, Utena is innocent, and so perhaps not.

Maybe she realized it at the last moment. The last scene is of them playing a game together, isn't it? Her color is white, which could symbolize purity, and Akio's color is black, which tends to symbolize impurity. She wasn't paying attention to the game, and then she finally started paying attention, and realized that she was losing. The fact that the color black overthrows the white has always struck me as showing that she is losing her purity. Perhaps that was the moment she realized what was going to happen.

#10 | Back to Top03-28-2007 03:10:37 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

What kind of person goes on and on and ON, talking about food, while someone is ... ah-hem ... working on them?  She's babbling, and it has to be either post-coitally or pre-coitally.  When she starts shutting up, that's when the real action is starting (or starting again). 

When they leave, it's still night, and the same night (I think, given dialouge), but there's no telling how long they were there.

All that talking just flies in the face of normal behavior during sex, though not in bed in general.  Maybe it's more like some major sexual act just took place, and they're doing pillow talk before the start of another sexual act.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#11 | Back to Top03-28-2007 03:37:34 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Hmm... there's banana included in the room service... should that hint something? emot-wink

I'm going to make a refernce to Hachiko from NANA. When she is going to have sex with Takumi for the first time, she did quite a bit of stretching too when he goes to the shower.

Last edited by Hiraku (03-28-2007 03:38:36 PM)

#12 | Back to Top03-28-2007 05:57:20 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

I must be dense too, because, all through the season I just assumed she was a fitness nut!!
"Let's get physical" starts up

UK girls like coffee
Boys like daddy
You can shasei *
Do your real slow
Make me happy
Make me feel good
You could love me

Let's get physical
Physical
I wanna get physical
Lets get into physical
Let me hear your body talk
Your body talk
I wanna get physical
Physical
I wanna get physical
Let's get into physical
Your body talk

Make me happy
Make me feel good
You could
Watch me watching
Watch you
Make me feel good
Make me feel good

Let's get physical
Physical
I wanna get physical
Let's get into physical
Your body talk
I wanna get physical
Physical
I wanna get physical
Lets get into physical

Let's get physical
Physical
I wanna get physical
Let's get into physical
Your body talk
I wanna get physical

so aha!

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#13 | Back to Top03-28-2007 06:01:39 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

YamPuff wrote:

Come to think of it, stretching could be a nervous habit of hers. In episode 20, she was stretching while she was wondering why Wakaba seemed so different as of lately, and then again while she was talking to Akio about it.

#14 | Back to Top03-28-2007 06:44:10 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Nervous habit or Fitness nut??
Where is Clarice when you need her?

:searches for Clarice and excellent analysis:

#15 | Back to Top03-28-2007 06:54:47 PM

Undead Princess
Saionji Slapper
Website

Razara wrote:

The last scene is of them playing a game together, isn't it? Her color is white, which could symbolize purity, and Akio's color is black, which tends to symbolize impurity. She wasn't paying attention to the game, and then she finally started paying attention, and realized that she was losing. The fact that the color black overthrows the white has always struck me as showing that she is losing her purity. Perhaps that was the moment she realized what was going to happen.

That game is called Othello (aka Reversi), and I think the black pieces represented Akio narrowing in on Utena.
At one point, she looks back down at the game and didn't realize how much she was losing...

And yeah, she has stretched in front of Akio before:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/UndeadPrincess/DVD2AVI0328204715.jpg

I imagine Utena realized she was going to have sex with Akio at the last minute, kind of like when she was kissed by him. He probably rolled himself over to her futon and she started babbling. emot-tongue

(And there's nothing symbolic about a Westernized chair being in a Japanese style hotel room... I've seen Japanese hotel rooms, and a lot of them are just layed out that way)

#16 | Back to Top03-29-2007 06:56:30 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I always thought of Utena's babbling speech to be after the sex, not during. Its seems a bit silly to think Akio is so lousy he can't even occupy his partner's mind entirely. Its after all the passion and hot meaningless sex that you calm down and it begins to sink in.

In any case, I'm not entirely sure I have the events in place. Utena gives Akio the roses, he asks her out, they go to the carnival, stop off at the hotel and then go for a drive?

Ok, if so, it does make a certain amount of sense. They go the carnival and have their fun, then they're both going to be tired. Its late out. So Akio comes up with the _great idea_ to stop off a hotel for dinner and a shower. Maybe even spend the night in a _completely innocent and platonic manner_ or something. At least, that's the way Utena would see it. Utena's innocence isn't as exaggerated as you think; how many girls have gone to the apartment of the internet friend they really really trust or done other equally stupidly naive things? On the other hand, he has kissed her before so she knows he isn't completely devoted to his fiance.So there's definitely that element of convincing herself there's nothing going on when she knows there is. Hence her being nervous.

Utena's affair with Akio did strike me as loss of innocence and purity, not the sexual kind, but in a moral sense. He's engaged, she knows it, but because she's attracted to him she ignores the fact.

But did anyone consider that maybe Utena made the first move? Akio's being verry patient, seated most of the evening some distance from Utena, watching her talk herself into a fit. Until Utena can't take it anymore and jumps into his arms. Would make for extra guilt. emot-wink Just a thought. She never blames Akio for what happened, doesn't go 'nooesss, you seduced meee!!'

Last edited by YamPuff (03-29-2007 06:57:12 AM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#17 | Back to Top03-29-2007 08:05:39 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Razara wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

Come to think of it, stretching could be a nervous habit of hers. In episode 20, she was stretching while she was wondering why Wakaba seemed so different as of lately, and then again while she was talking to Akio about it.

I dunno whether it's a nervous habit or not, but it certainly is a habit of hers. I've been keeping an eye on Utena's body language, and she seems to do stuff like that quite often. I always thought how that habit must have come from her sports activities.

Razara wrote:

Maybe she realized it at the last moment. The last scene is of them playing a game together, isn't it? Her color is white, which could symbolize purity, and Akio's color is black, which tends to symbolize impurity. She wasn't paying attention to the game, and then she finally started paying attention, and realized that she was losing. The fact that the color black overthrows the white has always struck me as showing that she is losing her purity. Perhaps that was the moment she realized what was going to happen.

I think you got the symbolism right. Except I doubt Utena could make anything out of it. In fact, I believe most of the symbolism in SKU is meant for the viewers, not exactly the characters that are dealing with them since they might not even be aware of those symbols most of the time.

Also, there's a very nice indepth analysis of that episode and there's said how the Othello game could be a reference to Ruka. After all, this is a recap episode and during that scene we get a flashback of Ruka. http://www.ohtori.nu/analysis/07_celest … _night.htm

YamPuff wrote:

I always thought of Utena's babbling speech to be after the sex, not during. Its seems a bit silly to think Akio is so lousy he can't even occupy his partner's mind entirely. Its after all the passion and hot meaningless sex that you calm down and it begins to sink in.

I think it's right before they have sex. Utena changes a lot after that. Take the car ride for example, they're probably on their way back to Ohtori and Utena is not talking about silly things anymore. In fact, she hardly says anything. That's because of all the things that had happened and because of the messed up feelings she has. Among other things, I got an impression of regret and sadness from her and she also comments on how she didn't expect all that to happen.

YamPuff wrote:

Utena's affair with Akio did strike me as loss of innocence and purity, not the sexual kind, but in a moral sense. He's engaged, she knows it, but because she's attracted to him she ignores the fact.

It wasn't only in a moral sense, but also on a very personal level too. After that she had to redefine herself, and losing her purity/innocence made her think that she might not actually be a prince. That night with Akio made a drastic change in her which I think was the main thing they wanted to show us with the sex scene. Becoming a prince must have sound very nice to Utena but could she do it if she was just a girl? Also, I don't think of that sex scene as something completely negative. Utena could have never realised what she really was if she hadn't got a different view on her life. What I mean is that Utena had a rather one-sided view on herself so after that she was able to see her as something else. In the long run, all this was necessary so that she could let go of all the standards set for her and be what she really was. (Why do I always end up talking about stuff like this? emot-confused )

YamPuff wrote:

But did anyone consider that maybe Utena made the first move? Akio's being verry patient, seated most of the evening some distance from Utena, watching her talk herself into a fit. Until Utena can't take it anymore and jumps into his arms. Would make for extra guilt. emot-wink Just a thought. She never blames Akio for what happened, doesn't go 'nooesss, you seduced meee!!'

That's actually a very interesting thought, but I doubt Utena would have made the first move. The reason why she doesn't blame Akio in the end is because she didn't resist him although she could have. (...well no. Actaully I don't think anyone could resist that man.)

Anyway, I agree that Utena was very naive but I also think that she might have been subconciously aware of what was going to happen but it never really reached her till it actually did happen. :/

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#18 | Back to Top03-29-2007 08:43:38 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm squarely in the camp that thinks the lunch speech is pre-coital. For one, there's that jerk and twitching near the end, which is really hard to explain without involving penetration/hymen tearing. Second, sex would be the most obvious point at which her change in mood occurs. She shuts up after the sex. If she were still blabbering afterward, it would be odd she'd suddenly fall quiet in the car.

Maarika wrote:

Anyway, I agree that Utena was very naive but I also think that she might have been subconciously aware of what was going to happen but it never really reached her till it actually did happen. :/

I agree with this, too. Even I can't think so little of her as to honestly believe nothing registered as odd about being in a hotel room alone with a man. Especially since we've seen her tipped off to unusually intimate situations before; she blushes when he pulls her close during the Lucifer speech. It's a different circumstance because it involves contact on top of the unusual situation, but in that scene she does seem to be aware there's something not quite happyhappy friends there. Actually she spends the whole series prior to this event acting this way; she tends to yap and yap and yap whenever she's alone with Akio. He lets her and plays the counselor role, but it's a convenient way to dodge the strangeness of the situation. By constantly lording over the conversation, she 'successfully' avoids having to account for what's going on.

Akio never forces her to drop that distraction. They're alone in a hotel room getting god damn room service, but he doesn't say or do anything that stops her yapping. You would think, in most natural situations, that such an event would be preceded by some accounting for that it will happen. Some confession of desire, expression of intent, suggestion...something. But no, Akio lets her maintain her weak shield of denial right to the bitter end.

Because he's a total dick.

Seriously, at that point, he could have played these events out a dozen different ways and still had sex with her. I don't think it's a stretch to assume he'd be perfectly capable of arousing her past her blabbering. He could have had her writhing and ready and too swimming in want to be as nervous as she was before they got in bed. But...why would he do that? Ease her discomfort? Help her? What would he gain from doing so?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#19 | Back to Top03-29-2007 08:52:04 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Giovanna wrote:

But...why would he do that? Ease her discomfort? Help her? What would he gain from doing so?

You know, your analysis of the situation, yours and Maarika's actually, is pretty squarely where I fall. But I've always thought that this one scene is where Akio pretty much looses the game. He places his own personal pleasure -making Utena nervous, getting off on her insecurities- above his game. I've always thought that if he'd been kinder to her, played the mushy, romantic card a little bit more, she'd have been sold enough for him to get the goods -I.E., Utena as his soon to be neglected Princess, the sword, and Anthy kinda dead. Or at least swimming in pointy stick obscurity for a while.

In a way, Akio's foundations do boil down to the stereotypical villain, in that he puts what he wants before his goal of getting to the end of the game -the Rose Gate, I suppose. But he's got much better things bult upon that foundation, so I suppose we'll let Ikuhara screw us over for it.

Hmmm...I wonder tho, what would've happened if Utena had accepted his offer?

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#20 | Back to Top03-29-2007 09:22:23 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

morosemocha wrote:

I've always thought that if he'd been kinder to her, played the mushy, romantic card a little bit more, she'd have been sold enough for him to get the goods -I.E., Utena as his soon to be neglected Princess, the sword, and Anthy kinda dead. Or at least swimming in pointy stick obscurity for a while.

Hmm...I'd agree it was a fuckup, except I don't think that was his intent at all. This is where he could have made that mistake, but given how intently he backs up that coldness in episode 38, I don't think he wanted a Princess. That whole sequence 'You're my princess' blah blah just reeks of...that subliminal message character from SNL. emot-mad On the surface he's being all sweetness and LOL I'LL PROTECT YOU NOW emot-keke, but he carefully neglected to do any number of things that would actually have subdued her.

Then again, I think the way Akio reasons things, no possible outcome to those events could have worked against him, given his desire to sustain the state he's in and keep Anthy being his little bitch. Utena goes with him? Talk about kicking Anthy in the teeth. Also he gets her sword, which, because she's now 'fallen' to his level, will be useless. YAY! Utena fights? Talk about reminding Anthy of her place. Also he gets her sword, which, because she's still a noble heart, will...be useless in his hands anyway. YAY!

In that regard, I think he did make a 'sacrifice' of sorts for his own pleasure. He could have done more to make Utena fold from the very beginning, but the way he figured it, he'd win either way, and this way was more fun. I do wonder though, whether that outcome would have satisfied the obligatory 'Of course I'm trying to save you, Anthy. emot-rolleyes' Even if it didn't, it would have been a safer bet for him right then...but he didn't think there was a reason to play it safe. His overconfidence is his weakness, and in that regard, I'd agree he made a mistake there. He should have been aborting the whole thing when Anthy got too bitchy, but he wanted to be a prick about it. In the end, though, it wasn't Utena he made the mistake of being too cruel to.

#21 | Back to Top03-29-2007 09:34:43 AM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

cruelty and sex, it just goes so nicely for Akio.

#22 | Back to Top03-29-2007 09:39:37 AM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Utena does give that very suggestive spasm when she says, "What is Eternity?"

Alternatively it could be the first big spasm of guilt finally hitting her after trying to fend it off with her babbling and stretching.

I doubt that things are happening in chronological order in that episode.

#23 | Back to Top03-29-2007 02:25:35 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Gio wrote:

His overconfidence is his weakness,

HER FAITH IN HER FRIENDS IS HERS

Gio wrote:

Then again, I think the way Akio reasons things, no possible outcome to those events could have worked against him, given his desire to sustain the state he's in and keep Anthy being his little bitch. Utena goes with him? Talk about kicking Anthy in the teeth. Also he gets her sword, which, because she's now 'fallen' to his level, will be useless. YAY! Utena fights? Talk about reminding Anthy of her place. Also he gets her sword, which, because she's still a noble heart, will...be useless in his hands anyway. YAY!

Yet in another thread you argue convincingly that Akio would never in his wildest dreams imagine the possibility that Utena or anyone else has a perfectly noble heart.  I think Akio is happy as long as he gets the sword; he enjoys the sheer perversion of "trying" to hack down the door with it.  In that sense, Akio doesn't screw up in this scene or in any other.  His only fuckup is in figuring that since Dios is dead, so is nobility.

Oh -- and I think every time the situation in the hotel room escalated, Utena was saying to herself "gee, it sure looks like we're going to have sex... but no, surely not, for he is engaged, it makes me nervous to think about, it must be my imagination, I'll go back to my comfortable oblivion."  The Lunch Speech ("I am the cook, the world is my sandwich") is clearly precoital, IMHO.  She might or might not go back to babbling afterwards, but the shaking and body language toward the end mark this as the beginning of the act.

Last edited by satyreyes (03-29-2007 02:30:40 PM)

#24 | Back to Top03-29-2007 02:53:20 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

[snickers] Wearing a stupid hat, sitting in a hotel room in Paris. No, seriously. It's this crazy top-hat with Uncle Scrooge sticking out of the top of it with a fistful of Euros. Blithely walking through one of the major financial districts of the city while wearing this is probably symbolic of something in and of itself, but I think most of the French I walked past just thought I needed committing. emot-dance

Undead Princess wrote:

I imagine Utena realized she was going to have sex with Akio at the last minute, kind of like when she was kissed by him. He probably rolled himself over to her futon and she started babbling. emot-tongue

Actually, it's probably a fair assumption, that. My personal opinion was that she was babbling away while he was...well, working her, so to speak, and that the way she cut off at the end implied either penetration or something similar to orgasm (I don't want to go too deeply into IFD territory here, but a) I doubt she had an orgasm first pop, so to speak, no matter that Akio is DA MAN and b) realising that pleasure can be derived from that area can be unexpected for girls, if they haven't done any exploring themselves beforehand). In the end, it's probably that when the lights went out she started talking to Akio the way she talked to Anthy in their shared bed -- as they probably had futons next to one another -- and when he didn't respond (or just watched her with a kind of inevitability that we'd expect from all that has gone before) she got worked up and started babbling. I don't know if it could work this way, as we always see Utena from the same perspective (and I tend to assume it was Akio's, although seeing Utena from above in that scene could be symbolic of her bending to the will of another, or as being "fallen"), and if Akio moved I'd expect our perspective to move with him, but...this scene has always confused the beegeezus out of me, I have to admit.

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

(And there's nothing symbolic about a Westernized chair being in a Japanese style hotel room... I've seen Japanese hotel rooms, and a lot of them are just layed out that way)

Actually, I think you can see the chairs in the background of the first shot anyway -- and they look lower to the ground than a standard Western-style chair. Could just be the perspective/shoddy animation budget, mind you...

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#25 | Back to Top03-29-2007 03:56:10 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Clarice wrote:

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

[snickers] Wearing a stupid hat, sitting in a hotel room in Paris. No, seriously. It's this crazy top-hat with Uncle Scrooge sticking out of the top of it with a fistful of Euros. Blithely walking through one of the major financial districts of the city while wearing this is probably symbolic of something in and of itself, but I think most of the French I walked past just thought I needed committing. emot-dance

Oh, so that's where you were. Dont you know I depend on your analysis! And what're you doing running around wearing a hat! A HAT mind you! But its cool. I etc-love Clarice

but I want to really want to know, as no one has addressed the answer:
Is Utena a fitness nut? I mean, I understand her nervous stretching habit, but, could this have been brought on by ....fitness crazy?

Board footer