This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#326 | Back to Top05-28-2015 11:03:34 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Re: Little things that make you think about SKU.

That's kind of amazing.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#327 | Back to Top05-28-2015 09:40:47 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm in the amazing business. emot-biggrin

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#328 | Back to Top05-31-2015 04:46:20 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Giovanna wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

I believe there is a Ferris Wheel in only one episode (The Prince who Runs Through the Night iirc) and yet I strongly associate ferris wheels with SKU.

Yep, just there.

In a ferris wheel, you're taken up to a higher place, given a new vantage point, from a seat that feels more dangerous than it truly is. Because really, you're still in an amusement park--the ride itself isn't going to kill you. But from the very top, you might get a glimpse past the borders of the amusement park to the scarier world outside. The real thrill ride, instead of the illusory one. I've always taken the ferris wheel to be Utena's trip to End of the World, so to speak.

Especially compared to the other amusement park ride we see--a merry go round, in the last episode. Another illusion, the neutered thrill of riding a horse, adorned with the fantastical trappings that take the mental image out of reality and into storybooks. And yet, you go round and round, through the same narrow little corridor, never seeing anything new. Your perspective never changes, but it never really needs to--you only see the ride, and the park, from there. The world goes on outside, but because you can't see the fence from this ride, you never concern yourself with it. This is Akio's End of the World.

...you know I've never actually parsed that out? emot-confused

I'm familiar with the idea behind both the ferris wheel and carousel (empty movement and all that) but never so much in those terms, as it being Utena's and Akio's End of Worlds. An interesting perspective.  school-sherlock

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#329 | Back to Top06-03-2015 12:41:23 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG-20150603-WA0001_zpsvfswwma_edit_1433335820085_zps6g1ysqqw.jpg

Perhaps a sister company of Cowstian Dior?
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/Mobile%20Uploads/unnamed%208_zpsjyq94hl9.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#330 | Back to Top06-08-2015 03:45:22 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

This scene of F/SN Unlimited Blade Works anime. On a symbolic level at least. SPOILERS if you plan to watch the series,

#331 | Back to Top06-13-2015 11:56:42 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Watching Ken Russell's Crimes of Passion and for some reason tonight, it's all Utena. The flowers. The blinking lights pacing scenes. The sexual and seduction anxieties. Shifting from cheesy comedy to emotional horrorshow. Weird play-acty spoiling of a high school virgin in a fancy car. The inflated toy surprise. And, delaying an important reveal with a weird bit of tv broadcast.

So, actually, I'm wondering why it hasn't reminded me of Utena before.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#332 | Back to Top06-15-2015 03:53:23 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Starting doodling rose crests and now am covering everything I own with gold shiny rose crests. I knew getting a pen that could write on all surfaces was a bad idea. D:

#333 | Back to Top06-21-2015 08:11:58 PM

Dreaded Claymore
Rose Bride

I'm watching a show called American Genius which is a miniseries of heavily dramatized stories about various scientific and industrial personalities. This one is about Samuel Colt and others, and I just watched someone portraying Sam Colt tell an investor that his invention "is going to revolutionize the world." emot-keke

#334 | Back to Top06-21-2015 09:07:20 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I was rereading Maiden Rose last night and came across this:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2iaq0if.jpg

I'm sure it must have hit me the first time around but I noticed more this time. Now I cannot help but imagine Klaus as Taki's Rose Bride.
Apart from the Utena vibes, this scene is particularly striking [since Klaus, the guy kneeling and kissing the sword, just brutally raped Taki who is wielding the sword. Not of the healthiest of relaltionships, no.]

#335 | Back to Top06-25-2015 12:37:42 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I have to wonder if sword kissing is a thing in Japan? Symbolically? I mean, given the presence of the swords and its culture of humility/etc, it would follow.

BUT BUT BUT

http://i.imgur.com/NTmepHn.jpg

OMFG

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#336 | Back to Top07-04-2015 05:01:54 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Mario Kart 8: you ride upside in a spiral around Peach's castle. etc-jurishlick

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/maxresdefault_zpsrqpugxsq.jpg~original

EDIT: I think I saw a Maiden Rose OVA once....the manga looks fab, nice art. etc-saiowank Will check out.

Last edited by YamPuff (07-04-2015 05:09:17 PM)

#337 | Back to Top07-06-2015 10:36:57 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Giovanna wrote:

I have to wonder if sword kissing is a thing in Japan? Symbolically? I mean, given the presence of the swords and its culture of humility/etc, it would follow.

I wonder about that as well. Especially in Maiden Rose's context, in which Klaus, the one kissing the sword is non-Japanese but Taki, the swordwielder, is very much the essence of a Japanese notions of honor and duty. In this scene Klaus is pledging himself as Taki's knight anew and making something of an act of contrition so it'd make perfect sense to invoke something very meaningful to Taki's culture.
On the other hand, it might originally come from Western courtly rites. A more erotically charged version of kissing the lord's ring when vowing fealty. Klaus has given up on his nationality entirely in order to serve Taki and lives for no other purpose but he could be drawing from his own cultural background. Interestigly enough, the manga never mentions Japan by name. It has to be deliberate and probably to create a greater sense of alternate history but it's very clear that Taki's 'Eastern Island country' must be Japan. The Heian imagery that pops up regularly clinches the deal.

Inariya-sensei probably knows about Utena and might very well be channeling it here.

YamPuff wrote:

EDIT: I think I saw a Maiden Rose OVA once....the manga looks fab, nice art. etc-saiowank Will check out.

About the OVA, as it so often happens with anime adapations it is far inferior to the original manga. I could forgive the low budget production values but Taki's seiyuu was a complete disgrace. He makes Taki sound like the typical whiny uke and that is nothing short of character assassination. One of the things that makes Maiden Rose so amazing is precisely that it does not follow the usual 'seme/uke' dynamics. Taki may be the bottom in the relationship and he does struggle with his attraction to Klaus but he is a competent military commander and a very brave leader.

I'm sure it was unintentional but it was a horrible voice casting choice.

I recommend the manga but keep it's been in hiatus hell for so long now that I'm beginning to despair.

#338 | Back to Top07-07-2015 06:18:40 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I just went and ate up all the Maiden  Rose manga. MUCH better than the OVAs...and turns out she's the author of Gigilo, one of my favorite yaoi one-shots. Can't believe I never read the manga, considering my propensity towards violent relationships. XD Taki x Klaus is great. emot-biggrin

#339 | Back to Top07-07-2015 08:54:36 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Now you can join me pining in hiatus hell for god only knows when or even *if* Maiden Rose will be resumed. Misery loves company. school-devil

Inariya-sensei also wrote Zion no Koeda, it makes Taki and Klaus come across as very well-balanced couple by comparison.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (07-07-2015 09:00:01 PM)

#340 | Back to Top07-09-2015 05:39:12 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Sappy status on my fb newsfeed, freely translated:

Men shouldn't desire princesses. The witches are the ones with the magic.

#341 | Back to Top07-19-2015 10:16:10 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I'm re(watching) Majokko Megu-chan, an old magical girl from the seventies, and stumbled on this:

http://i57.tinypic.com/6i8bo6.jpg

It does not look all that much like Akio's tower but I was still reminded of it right away. Probably because this is the bad guy's lair and it overloooks the heroine's house. Then there's the fact that SKU is so self-aware of shoujo tropes, some of which were set (or greatly spread) by Megu-chan. And Megu-chan was quite subversive for its time, it does not enter dark territory like SKU but it was one of the first shoujo to present adult situations including domestic violence.

#342 | Back to Top08-16-2015 09:25:25 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Look who I stumbled upon!
http://s22.postimg.org/shvlv9w6p/TERA_Screen_Shot_20150816_171808_2.png

#343 | Back to Top08-16-2015 01:25:46 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Every villain needs a cocktower. It is known.

@Snow: I spy a Nemuro-chan

#344 | Back to Top08-20-2015 08:14:39 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

YamPuff wrote:

Every villain needs a cocktower. It is known.

@Snow: I spy a Nemuro-chan

I can't remember where it shows up but in Sandman/Lucifer, his tower is shockingly similar to Akio's Like, not even a god damn joke. God I wish I could remember where tho.

Conversation that happened today:
Nurse: You ever think what it'd be like to be a rich asshole?
Gio: No, never.
Nurse: Yeah, just never work, use others, fuck whoever you want. Drive fast cars, dress smart, drink expensive booze.
Gio: Like hemorrhaging self-centered egotism?
Nurse: Yeah!
Gio: You forgot jumping over the car.
Nurse: ...eh?
Gio: Nevermind.

#345 | Back to Top08-20-2015 02:50:38 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Giovanna wrote:

Gio: You forgot jumping over the car.

Anytime i see a well dressed person in a suit, fancy shoes, and well put together, i just imagine a nice little flip over the car, just like the movie.

Today for me, I was  upset with a few things at the office and stepped outside. I had no idea the bushes outside could produce flowers! Lo and behold, little purple and pink guys springing up. It was lovely and put a smile on my face. http://imgur.com/8dhvmN6

But now, thanks go Gio, i think i'm going to try that car slide today.

#346 | Back to Top08-21-2015 04:48:10 PM

CelianAdellanie
New Student

I remember SKU when I see filtered sunlight.
I remember SKU when I realize that I was remembering a memory incorrectly.
I remember SKU when I hear little girls talk about  being princesses.

Currently on a quest to revive SKU fanfiction. For fluff, crackfic, or angst, follow this link to the Ends of the World: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6054705/CelianAdellanie

#347 | Back to Top08-26-2015 06:34:45 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

An interesting reversal: take a look at my signature. It's a quote from Umberto Eco's novel The Name of the Rose (which if you haven't read, you should, post-haste). In fact, it's the final line of the book. I read it earlier this year, and changed my signature soon after.

Today, I was bored and listening to some of the SKU soundtracks on CD—something I haven't done in a while; I've been in more of an Evangelion mood this year, for obvious reasons—and flipping through the liner notes. In the booklet for "Angelic Creation, Namely Light", there's a section that gives brief summaries of some of J.A. Seazer's plays. Caspar Hawser features this line:

Seazer wrote:

(the name of the rose = there is nothing but a name left for a withered rose, there is only a fruitless name left behind now).

Which is, obviously, the line from my signature, slightly (?) mangled in translation, from Latin to Japanese to English.

Always interesting to find these little threads between works that I hadn't previously noticed.

#348 | Back to Top08-27-2015 05:45:25 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

*cough*

Okay, it's not a direct comparison, but the connotations are off the chart!

#349 | Back to Top08-29-2015 05:23:10 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Recently, I got into music by Melanie Martinez.

A couple of her songs, I feel, would make for amazing Utena AMV:

"Alphabet Boy" can be Anthy's disdain toward a lot of the duelists, and also her brother. It can also be about what Utena thinks of Touga whenever he's being patronizing (even though he probably thinks he's not):

"Carousel" feels more like the general motif for the series of chasing after something that seems unattainable, but it can also be easily attributed to Utena or Anthy chasing after the prince (or at least the concept of the prince) on the white horse:

Last edited by Hiraku (08-29-2015 05:24:31 AM)

#350 | Back to Top08-29-2015 08:29:04 PM

Terpischore
New Student

Anything with roses.... Ouran High School Host Club, The Rose of Versailles, ANYTHING with roses.... and/or pink...

Oh! Also, certain books like The Count of Monte Cristo. Romances wear a character is so totally infatuated with another person are feeling rarer and rarer. (I'm probably watching to many harem/reverse harems lately though... emot-biggrin )

Everyone has a sword within their hearts; the purer the heart, the sharper the sword.
The Count of Monte Cristo

Board footer