This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top07-07-2017 10:45:44 AM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

Re: New Utena Album!?

Song title translations over here! > https://revolutionarygirlmarco.tumblr.c … apocalypse

#27 | Back to Top07-09-2017 04:00:12 PM

Morielo
Saionji Slapper
Website

Awesome thanks for the links:

We just received the CD last friday and enjoyed it plenty, but it´s time to back it up to have it available for the phone or the car. Sadly, apparently neither of the CD´s contains any metadata, so I have to input it manually

Those translations sound way better than google translates Engrish, now the folders are nice and pretty

Working on new signature, please wait

#28 | Back to Top07-19-2017 09:12:56 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Man I didn't know about the new album until these couple of days. I know IRG won't disappoint emot-dance Thanks!!

I'm also curious about the lyrics... Would it be possible to ask someone who has the CD for huge favor and scan the lyrics if they're available?

#29 | Back to Top07-19-2017 10:18:51 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

When I get the CD, I will definitely either scan or transcribe the lyrics if no one else has by that point. I don't know when that will be, though; it might take a while since I ordered through a shopping service in order to get the bonus CD.

#30 | Back to Top07-22-2017 09:43:22 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

At Times, Love Is wrote:

When I get the CD, I will definitely either scan or transcribe the lyrics if no one else has by that point. I don't know when that will be, though; it might take a while since I ordered through a shopping service in order to get the bonus CD.

That's alright. Take your time. Thanks!!

Oh! In case you guys dunno yet, allegoriest did the translation for one of the songs, 書目録―天使幻覚《婬鬼論》篇―Forbidden Book Catalogue―Angelic Hallucination 《Lewd Demonic Discourse》Compilation―.

You can check it out on their tumblr. It's pretty neat:

http://tabgha.tumblr.com/post/163244349 … C%E8%AB%96

#31 | Back to Top07-23-2017 07:04:58 AM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

Hiraku wrote:

Oh! In case you guys dunno yet, allegoriest did the translation for one of the songs, � 書目録―天使幻覚《婬鬼論》篇―Forbidden Book Catalogue―Angelic Hallucination 《Lewd Demonic Discourse》Compilation―.

Oh, that is awesome, thanks for sharing!!

#32 | Back to Top07-23-2017 08:22:48 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Ohh! Thank Allegoriest! Allegoriest translated the song because allegoriest is the most delicious of duelists.

Meanwhile I'm listening to the "complete version" of Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku, and... I am having trouble processing the fact that there is actually a huge chunk of lyrics that I never knew about until now.

#33 | Back to Top07-27-2017 07:03:58 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Hay hay translation needed because Bing and Google are probably sucking and I can't remember where I found the translations for the titles:

http://diskunion.net/diw/ct/news/article/1/56881

For now I'm calling it My Revolution Falsaria <transformation> and same <origination>, if those are good, cool, but I wanted input before I might possibly provide FLACs for peoples' interest. I'm already tagging the tracks on my own since I can figure that out just fine, they weren't renamed from the originals. They are definitely higher quality says me, though, since I've been blasting them all night. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#34 | Back to Top07-27-2017 01:05:44 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

I did a bing search for ファルサリア, and I actually managed to find out what it means and how it's written! It's Pharsalia, which is a Roman epic poem! It has an article on English Wikipedia.

I would probably translate the title as "I, Revolution, Pharsalia <<other word>> because there's no possessive particle and "Revolution" and "Pharsalia" are both nouns. It'd be great if someone really familiar with Japanese grammar would give an opinion on that, though.

Jisho.com (reliable online Japanese to English dictionary) tells me that the last bits are each is made up of two words: one two-kana compound and then 譜, which means, basically, (written) record: specifically, it's used for records of games like chess and Go, for sheet music, and for family trees. I was curious as to whether it was used in evolutionary biology as well, and the answer is yes, sometimes, though there are more specific terms for "phylogenetic tree" and "cladogram."

Origin Record works fine, but if you want to convey ancestry (and still have it end in 'record' like the other title) you could go with Ancestry Record.

変身 is difficult to translate because it refers to the biological process of metamorphosis, but it's also the word used for "transformation" in super sentai and magical girl shows; it's not very specific. I'd probably go with "transformation" as well. ...Well, actually... thesaurus.com suggests "transmutation" and that has the bonus of bringing up associations with alchemy, but it's totally up to you.

As for the track titles... I feel like I should tell you at this point that the translation of the title of Tsuwabuki's duel song (soundtrack 2, track 5) in our audiology section has a mistake. アルシブラ isn't algebra; it's... archibras; you can see this doing a Google search for the katakana (that's how I found out, except with bing). An archibras is... well, this French writer named Charles Fourier thought that eventually humankind would advance towards a state of perfection that would include... an archibras, which is a word he made up for... a tail with an eye and a claw on its end. It is super obscure and not something people can be expected to know about. My best guess as to why it's in the song title is that it has to do with the "absolute man" idea the song conveys.

The book "archibras" was coined in was A New Amorous World, but unfortunately, I couldn't find anything about an English translation of that.

#35 | Back to Top07-29-2017 05:55:02 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Preview of the album I found: https://soundcloud.com/diwproducts/w1c9maojjof5

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#36 | Back to Top08-15-2017 10:49:39 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

Oh man, it sounds like they use the same melody at the end of the bonus edition of The Inversion of Me and My Room that they used at the end of Earth as a Character Gallery in CD 4, huh?

#37 | Back to Top08-16-2017 05:32:00 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details … aScans.zip

There's high resolution scans of the booklet, with an out of order, not proofread OCR pdf also, which should have at least the vast majority of the kanji right. If anyone for some reason proofreads and cleans up the Japanese, please let me know, I'd love to host the actual text on the site soon.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#38 | Back to Top09-02-2017 02:57:29 PM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

Mainly for my own avidly burning interest and to test my almost non-existant grasp of Japanese, I decided to try and '''''translate'''' the fourth song on the album: https://sta.sh/06lrqwfon3t If you thought Seazer was done with prehistorical metaphors after Paleozoic Within the Body, think again.
I know next to nothing about Japanese grammer so I'm only really sharing this in case it would be of use to any more experianced translator in any way.

The Japanese text is copied and pasted from the PDF that Gio provided, but I can't vouch for it myself because I translated from the original scan instead (my computer was being slow with the PDF file)
I'm tempted to have a go at a couple of the other simpler seeming songs like My Real Me Is Scattered or maybe Baroque Rock, simply because I'm dying to know what they're about - if I do I'll post those as well if anyone else is interested or would like to proofread anything.

#39 | Back to Top09-14-2017 12:55:37 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

That's what I get for avoiding the forum for two weeks. My CD came and I've been translating it (as much as I can) myself; I didn't realize the Andromeda one had already been worked on. Even having the kanji available to copy and paste would have helped a lot.

I'm going to go ahead and post a link to what I have in OneDrive (https://1drv.ms/w/s!AnnsstLQUKQhjgl-3wEN6vk9nuw0); I'm on Baroque Rock now. However, I plan to go back over the earlier songs and add more notes, as well as fixing any mistakes I can find. I'm a big believer in lots of translation notes when it comes to something like this, because otherwise it can be impossible to even tell how accurate it is without doing the research yourself.

So far, it's actually been... a lot less difficult than I expected.

#40 | Back to Top09-14-2017 09:28:48 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

omg I love you all etc-love

This album seems to me very much in line with the other one, OST 7. I know it's like...almost but not clearly SKU though, in this case. But I feel like the cover is definitely of Utena and Anthy, so that's that.

For you translator kids, the cd booklet in the new site section (ohtori.nu/resources) has all the song lyrics for the first 8 albums.

#41 | Back to Top09-15-2017 10:58:40 AM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

Giovanna wrote:

This album seems to me very much in line with the other one, OST 7. I know it's like...almost but not clearly SKU though, in this case. But I feel like the cover is definitely of Utena and Anthy, so that's that.

The Rose Egg Sophia album also felt rather hard for me to connect to the show at times... particularly The Sea Moon Dies in Indigo. Everything I or anyone else has translated from this album so far has been easier for me to connect to the show than that one.

I've heard from my friend who knows Russian that the preface to this album (in the booklet) is really interesting--it's been translated into Russian already, but only Russian as far as I know. I'd love to try it sometime after I finish these songs. It sounds really hard, though... but at least I can ask for help from someone who's read it translated into their native language.

...Alternatively, if anyone else wanted to translate Seazer's preface, I would love that.

One interesting thing: I know Seazer has said that while Absolute Destiny Apocalypse wasn't written for Utena, the second verse was not in his original Kaspar Hauser musical, and he wrote it as if he was writing music for the show. That does make sense, what with all the egg symbolism and all.

Giovanna wrote:

For you translator kids, the cd booklet in the new site section (ohtori.nu/resources) has all the song lyrics for the first 8 albums.

Oh, awesome!! The lyrics to the first 8 albums were all online somewhere or another, I'm pretty sure, but there's a lot of stuff I haven't seen--and actual commentary on the duel songs!! Incredible! I might just have to buy the complete CD box set myself, although I will try to translate it regardless. (I can't predict whether I'll be able to translate something until I've tried it... If I can't, it becomes clear early on).

Actually, question! I have lyrics to some of the songs from the plays that the duel songs originally came from--would you be interested in that? I don't have physical scans right now because the only scanner in my home is connected to a desktop computer that's really slow because it's... literally the first computer I ever used, in my life; that's how old it is. I do have transcriptions, though, and I've even found more lyrics online to songs I don't currently own.

#42 | Back to Top09-19-2017 04:53:38 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

Someone else translated this album's version of Absolute Destiny Apocalypse! Here's the post with some additional commentary: https://revolutionarygirlmarco.tumblr.c … 8%E7%89%88.
That's right where I was in translating the CD myself, so everything up to this point has been translated now (I'm still working in the document I linked to earlier)... though I haven't yet gone back over the lyrics I translated and made thorough notes.

Board footer