This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-04-2010 12:27:25 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Gone but not forgotten: Mary Daly

Mary Daly passed away yesterday.  According to the email carrying the news, she had been in ill health for the last two years or so.

How does this link up to SKU?  Well, the title of my massive (yet unfinished) SKU fic, Archimage, came from Mary Daly's Wickedary.  I excerpted the definition as I posted it on my Archimage site below:

Archimage, n [\ar ke maj\ (rhyming with rage)[derived fr. Gk archioriginal, primary + magos wizard - Webster's] 1: the Original Witch within 2: Power/Powers of Be-ing within all women and all Biophilic creatures 3: Active Potency of Hags 4: Metaphor pointing toward Metabeing, in which all Elemental Life participates.
(From Wickedary.com, Websters' First New Intergalactic Wickedary of the English Language. Conjured by Mary Daly, in cahoots with Jane Caputi, hacked by Madrid Tennant.)

Wickedary.com is, alas, no more.  But the book is still out there, and I highly recommend it. 

Daly's work was key to awakening many young (and not so young) feminists, and her eloquence will be sorely missed.

Board footer