This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-16-2006 09:42:45 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Favorite Anime/Manga Artists

Warning!  This is my feeble attempt at an icebreaker thread. cool

Just wondered who we all liked as far as artists in the anime world goes.  My two favorites would be Yoshitoshi ABe of Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei fame, and Kumichi Yoshizuki who did Someday's Dreamers.

For ABe, I like his style because of its edginess, and I love his character designs.  Lain was the series that introduced me to his work, and I've been a fan ever since.  Yoshizuki has a much lighter fantasy style, and makes great use of watercolors, and I like her soft character designs.  This is one of my favorite pictures of hers.  I think the "moon boots" (as I call them) that the girls wear are great.

So how about you guys?  What other artists should we check out?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#2 | Back to Top10-16-2006 09:45:40 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Favorite Anime/Manga Artists

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Yoshitoshi ABe of Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei fame

The hell you say! Much love for ABe. I love those dreamlike half-watercolor, half-sharp backgrounds. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top10-16-2006 09:55:51 PM

Shirono
New Student
Website

Fumi Yoshinaga is a favorite of mine.  Her art is non-obtrusive but mature, her storytelling is wonderful, and often features beautiful gay characters!

She is the authorof the very famous "Antique Bakery"http://www.dmpbooks.com/titles?n=16&t=38, and also "Gerard and Jaques."

My other favorite is Hiroaki Samura, the author of "Blade of the Immortal."  I believe he is one of the most skilled mangaka of all time!

#4 | Back to Top10-16-2006 10:33:20 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Currently? Kaoru Mori. 'nuff said. emot-dance

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#5 | Back to Top10-16-2006 10:39:25 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Hmm. I don't have a favorite, but I do have an awesome one that not many people outside the nerdy gaming community seem to be familiar with. Also I feel like breaking from my usual routine and pandering to the fangirl element.

Ayami Kojima, who is now illustrating all the Castlevania games, but she started with Symphony of the Night. Which starred...Alucard.

No no no, not the one from Hellsing, you dolts! THIS one.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/alucard.jpg

SO. PRETTY. I'm not usually a drooling fangirl but come on. Also, god that game is a blast. But are you not convinced yet? Check this one!

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/9589/kojima1bc1.th.jpg
Gory, and yet still, so pretty! Here's horrific facial scarring and KNIFE WINGS.
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/3193/kojima2gg6.th.jpg

Bishonen done my way. etc-wankgirl

PS. While nerding around I came across this one. Oh god.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top10-16-2006 10:59:15 PM

BakaElf
Miki Molester
Website

I feel like the odd one out here as my first thought went to Kubo Tite of Bleach fame. Yes, I am a Bleach fan (ohgod!don'thateme!). ;;; But really, the man has a cool style and an awesome sense of perspective. (Visually, I mean.)

Also, stereotypically, I like CLAMP. Lots of people like them, lots of people don't. They're pretty, though I actually think I've grown to like their newer simpler style more than their older stuff.

Kaori Yuki, but really only God Child. I've read most of the other Count Cain stuff, and the first few volumes of Angel Sanctuary but, again, I feel like her art really cleaned up in GodChild.

And Watase Yuu has a special place in my heart as Fushigi Yuugi was one of my first anime/manga.

.....And to be honest, I'm not a Chiho Saitou fan. If it weren't for Utena I probably wouldn't've bothered picking up The World of S&M. (Which I liked well enough.) Though I do like some of the stuff in the Luxury Illustrations Artbook...

#7 | Back to Top10-16-2006 11:04:22 PM

BakaElf
Miki Molester
Website

Ah. Also, Range Murata does some interesting stuff. (He did the character designs for Last Exile.)

Hyung-tae Kim, the fella who does the character art for Magna Carta (most famously) is pretty rocking. (If you can get over the MONSTER BREASTS OF DOOM.)

And, hell, Yoshitaka Amano while we're on the topic.

#8 | Back to Top10-17-2006 07:04:09 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

BakaElf wrote:

Ah. Also, Range Murata does some interesting stuff. (He did the character designs for Last Exile.)

Hyung-tae Kim, the fella who does the character art for Magna Carta (most famously) is pretty rocking. (If you can get over the MONSTER BREASTS OF DOOM.)

And, hell, Yoshitaka Amano while we're on the topic.

I googled Range and the art reminds me vaguely of Masamune Shirow...not the style, exactly, but I get the impression this artist is a fan. emot-keke

Also, Amano always win. Go Go Vampire Hunter D. emot-dance

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#9 | Back to Top10-17-2006 07:20:49 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Damn its hard to point out a particular mangaka artist that I like best.

For instance, Kosuke Fujishima has developed quite a pleasing style even if some of his earlier works were at times a bit on the ugly side.

Ken Akamatsu, Tomoko Hayakawa, Emura, Masami Tsuda and CLAMP are just some of the other artists that have that certain something that I cannot help but love about their works.

#10 | Back to Top10-17-2006 07:44:23 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

BakaElf wrote:

Kaori Yuki, but really only God Child. I've read most of the other Count Cain stuff, and the first few volumes of Angel Sanctuary but, again, I feel like her art really cleaned up in GodChild.

I read some Angel Sanctuary myself. I need to finish. Her art style is so pretty! Have you read Ludwig? Apparently it's still going on, but what I've read so far I've loved. (Less confusing than AS to me) It takes a lot of fairytales and screws them up. I love it. etc-love

As for others.. Has anyone heard of Princess Tutu? (Please don't let the name scare you!) I watched it before Utena and loved it, and several people said I would like Utena if I liked Tutu. I finally got to check out Utena because of the recommendations and I loved it even more. Probably because Tutu is not as dark, but it's still lovely and full of weird fairytale crack.

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (10-17-2006 07:47:15 AM)

#11 | Back to Top10-17-2006 08:22:34 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

I etc-love Clamp's artwork, they always give great pretty details. I also like the authors of NANA and Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne too (sorry, I've forgotten their names) I just can't resist to mime their drawing style.

As for the stories, I prefer Watase Yuu. Her plots usually can give me a suprise.

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#12 | Back to Top10-17-2006 09:36:15 AM

azuresquirrel
Touga Topper
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

As for others.. Has anyone heard of Princess Tutu? (Please don't let the name scare you!) I watched it before Utena and loved it, and several people said I would like Utena if I liked Tutu. I finally got to check out Utena because of the recommendations and I loved it even more. Probably because Tutu is not as dark, but it's still lovely and full of weird fairytale crack.

I love Princess Tutu! etc-love I thought of making a comparison thread for the two because they're so often compared to each other in reviews of Tutu. And having liked Utena before Tutu, I'm always saying "Well . . . they're both really weird, so that's why people say they're alike but they're not . . . except for the whole fairytale and shoujo stuff . . . so maybe they are . . . I dont' know!" But yeah, I think Tutu is a great anime to introduce younger audiences on, as it has all the weird creepiness of Utena but with out the sex sex sex. etc-wankgirl

Me on gender identity: "I have more gender issues than an anime character."

#13 | Back to Top10-17-2006 09:59:43 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

This Tutu business had me interested, and then you said there was no sex in it and I was so disappointed emot-frown

I don't know too much about the artists involved in this one, but Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories had some smashing art in it. Magnetic Rose is the great favorite (and another one I think SKU fans would like), but the visual styles in both that and Cannon Fodder were very suited to the stories.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#14 | Back to Top10-17-2006 10:35:42 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

azuresquirrel wrote:

I love Princess Tutu! etc-love I thought of making a comparison thread for the two because they're so often compared to each other in reviews of Tutu. And having liked Utena before Tutu, I'm always saying "Well . . . they're both really weird, so that's why people say they're alike but they're not . . . except for the whole fairytale and shoujo stuff . . . so maybe they are . . . I dont' know!" But yeah, I think Tutu is a great anime to introduce younger audiences on, as it has all the weird creepiness of Utena but with out the sex sex sex. etc-wankgirl

Yay, another Tutu fan! etc-love Yeah, there are a lot of similarities between Tutu and Utena, but Tutu is definitely for younger audiences. Mytho reminds me of Dios, in a way. A prince who had his "heart" taken out. But unlike Dios, Mytho was just completely unemotional and didn't turn into a big baddie. (Well, he sort of did later on, but that wasn't really because of getting his heart shattered..) Come to think of it, Rue reminds me of Anthy in a way.. Kind of.

Yasha: Awww.. Sorry. ;_;

#15 | Back to Top10-17-2006 03:13:18 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

BakaElf wrote:

Kaori Yuki, but really only God Child.

What's this, then? Is it like Angel Sanctuary? Full of angelic lore for me to gobble up? (I love it, I love it. THE NAMES.) I liked AS, wasn't earth-shattering, but pretty pictures and nerdgasm.

Actually let's not be totally lazy. I googled. I saw 'London' and many many drawings of men (well okay pretty boys) in Victorian suits. INTERESTED. Please tell me more.

Princess Tutu sounds like Utena 101. Too bad I went right to the grad classes. emot-keke

I know it's kinda trite and what what what, but I actually really liked the art style Vision of Escaflowne was animated in. Yes, even the noses. Wanna fight about it? emot-mad

#16 | Back to Top10-17-2006 04:42:22 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Seeing CLAMP mentioned, I am a fan of theirs as well.  Both the artsy stuff (like Shirahime-Syo) and I am also fond of Mick Nekoi's (or whatever she's calling herself these days) designs.  Suki is one of my favorite titles for her work in CLAMP.

I've also heard Princess Tutu being favorably compared to Utena, so I plan to check that out someday as well.  That probably won't be for a while though, until a bargain box set or something is released for it.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#17 | Back to Top10-17-2006 05:01:34 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
Website

i'm an over all anime/manga fan but i do lean to the Clamp side as well

but i like seeing lots of things in anime/manga
shoujo-shoujen-mechas-etc...

so far i got done watching simoun/strawberry panic/host club

Chu chuu CHU!!!!

#18 | Back to Top10-17-2006 05:48:53 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Host Club? You wouldn't happen to be talking about Ouran High School Host Club by any chance, would ya? 

I watched the entire anime series thanks to the subtitled posts on Youtube emot-wink and I just loved the characters, from the straight-man crossdressing girl Haruhi to the ‘Low Blood Pressure Shadow King’ Kyoya Ohtori! (I wonder if he and Akio are distant cousins, they both share a number of similar personality traits *hehe*)

#19 | Back to Top10-17-2006 06:22:54 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Seriously, there's NO love for Kaoru Mori?

No love for Victorian Romance Emma. nor for Shirley? emot-frown

*goes off into a corner and cries*

Last edited by onsenmark (10-17-2006 06:26:21 PM)

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#20 | Back to Top10-17-2006 06:51:04 PM

BakaElf
Miki Molester
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Have you read Ludwig? Apparently it's still going on, but what I've read so far I've loved. (Less confusing than AS to me) It takes a lot of fairytales and screws them up. I love it.

I haven't, no, but it sounds interesting! >> Where might I find it?

Have you read Bloodhound or Cruel Fairytales? The latter I actually don't remember a thing about, and I heard a rumour that the former was made into a J(?)drama.

I feel the time is now to bring up Meine Liebe. T'was a dating sim, I think, with character designs by Kaori Yuki, and has run as anime in two seasons. (By which I mean, the first season and the second season are related, obviously, and the second comes after the first, but when the first ended we all thought that was the last we'd see of it.... Well, I did.) It's...very silly in it's way. Takes place in a European country called Kuchen (sp?) which I'm told translates to 'cake' from German? Everyone ('cept the Japanese exchange student) has obscenely long names (the main character's full name is Orpherus Furst von Marmelade nahe Gorz....I just wrote that from memory. And I checked it and it was right. O.o; DORK ). And....It's really just a pretty bishounen anime, when you get down to it. ;;;; The first time I watched it, I was just like "Aha. Aha. Ahahahaha -- NOTHX emot-biggrin" ... And then I gave it a second chance and I found I actually liked it. ((I also have this urge to figure out how an Utena/ML crossover would work. It seems appropriate.))

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Has anyone heard of Princess Tutu?

A friend's younger sister is really into it. The many comments I've heard about it being similar to Utena make it sound sort of interesting. emot-keke;; I remember half watching an episode and sort of seeing how it could be said.

Tenjou_sailorsaturn wrote:

I also like the authors of NANA and Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne too...

I don't know about KKJ but I am a fan of NANA. (The mangaka for NANA is Ai Yazawa, for reference. Dunno on KKJ) At first I sort of hated Hachikou but she grows on me. Oosaki = win though. I want to make her red dress...

Giovanna wrote:

...I googled. I saw 'London' and many many drawings of men (well okay pretty boys) in Victorian suits. INTERESTED. Please tell me more.

It's actually been a while since I read it, and my manga is in a box somewhere so... As I recall we've got Count Cain, a young noble who collects exotic poisons and solves all manner of mysteries in London. He lives with Riff (his loyal manservant) and Merryweather (his half sister.) And there's a Dr. Disraeli out to get him, oh noes.

I can't actually remember why it's called God Child as it's not (to my recollection) so much related to such things. But then, I've only read the series' that come before, and the first volume, which is published Stateside by Viz. (SHOUJOBEAT IS SO PINK ACK)

Giovanna wrote:

I know it's kinda trite and what what what, but I actually really liked the art style Vision of Escaflowne was animated in. Yes, even the noses. Wanna fight about it?

I like the Escaflowne noses. I also like the Escaflowne music. emot-biggrin Though really, I'm not very familiar with it, as I've only seen the first few episodes and the movie a few years back. ;;;

Also, I feel like the only person on the planet who isn't absolutely in love with Ouran High School Host Club. o.o; It seems like everyone is, but I read a few volumes of the manga at a former roommate's behest and I just couldn't get into it. Maybe the anime was better? Or maybe it was my mood at the time?

Suddenly I wonder: Is anyone up for Maria-sama ga Miteru? I know it's a few years old now, but it was nice in a relatively calm, sweet anime sort of way.

#21 | Back to Top10-17-2006 06:53:17 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Tamago wrote:

Host Club? You wouldn't happen to be talking about Ouran High School Host Club by any chance, would ya? 

I watched the entire anime series thanks to the subtitled posts on Youtube emot-wink and I just loved the characters, from the straight-man crossdressing girl Haruhi to the ‘Low Blood Pressure Shadow King’ Kyoya Ohtori! (I wonder if he and Akio are distant cousins, they both share a number of similar personality traits *hehe*)

DAMN YOU ALL. emot-mad I was saving Ouran for a thread. It's a fantastic series, it really pokes a lot of fun at shoujo stereotypes, and I know, KNOW there are a few direct Utena references in there. Like when one of the twins (was Kaoru, right?) finds Haruhi in the church during a thunderstorm. Oh my did that smell familiar.

As for Kyouya...he was my favorite character before I noticed his last name. I loved his laptop. I don't know why, it was a silly gag, but...a PINEAPPLE oh god. etc-love Whether the name is referential or not I couldn't say, would have made more sense as a direct reference for it to be Tamaki's surname, since his father's the dean. (And that guy reminded me squarely of a silly version of Touga.) I gotta make an SKU reference thread, there's a lesbian school show thread on the Something Awful forums that points out shameless references in its opening. emot-keke

onsenmark wrote:

No love for Victorian Romance Emma.

I've heard about this one, it's supposed to be a fantastic anime, if you can handle the slow pace. (I watch British movies. EAT THAT, SLOW PACE.) I should check it out.

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

I don't know about KKJ but I am a fan of NANA. (The mangaka for NANA is Ai Yazawa, for reference. Dunno on KKJ) At first I sort of hated Hachikou but she grows on me. Oosaki = win though. I want to make her red dress...

Ai Yawaza = Paradise Kiss? Professor Plum lured me to that series promising me an Akio-like character. It was only partially delivered. emot-mad (I did enjoy it though, refreshingly grown up shoujo.) Although frankly I found the dress in the end way over the top.

BakaElf wrote:

I like the Escaflowne noses. I also like the Escaflowne music. emot-biggrin Though really, I'm not very familiar with it, as I've only seen the first few episodes and the movie a few years back. ;;;

WATCH IT. Probably my second favorite series period. It manages not to degrade into a bishonen lovelove party, even though it's full of pretty boys. Also the mechs rule. Steam!

BakaElf wrote:

Also, I feel like the only person on the planet who isn't absolutely in love with Ouran High School Host Club. o.o; It seems like everyone is, but I read a few volumes of the manga at a former roommate's behest and I just couldn't get into it. Maybe the anime was better? Or maybe it was my mood at the time?

I didn't read the manga, but I think I'd have found the style of humor grating outside the medium of animation. The humor demands a colorful weird presentation.

#22 | Back to Top10-17-2006 07:05:55 PM

BakaElf
Miki Molester
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Ai Yawaza = Paradise Kiss? Professor Plum lured me to that series promising me an Akio-like character. It was only partially delivered. emot-mad (I did enjoy it though, refreshingly grown up shoujo.) Although frankly I found the dress in the end way over the top.

I think I watched an ep or two when it first came out but I didn't give it much of a chance. Of course, that might've been related to the fact that it would've been about the time that I moved back to my parents' house in DIAL UP LAND. emot-gonk

Giovanna wrote:

BakaElf wrote:

WATCH IT. Probably my second favorite series period. It manages not to degrade into a bishonen lovelove party, even though it's full of pretty boys. Also the mechs rule. Steam!

FINE I WILL! emot-dance

Giovanna wrote:

BakaElf wrote:

I didn't read the manga, but I think I'd have found the style of humor grating outside the medium of animation. The humor demands a colorful weird presentation.

Yeah, I can definitely see that, now that I think back. (I did like the twins. etc-love But I'm likely to on the premise that they're TWINS... *degrade into astrobabble now*)

#23 | Back to Top10-17-2006 07:20:40 PM

homogenized
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

I keep it old school--I like Naoko Takeuchi, even though I gave away all my old Sailor Moon books when I moved (they were terribly translated, but now they're out of print emot-gonk). I also like the guy who did Video Girl Ai, Masakazu Katsura. His art is pretty damn good. Sometimes, he draws naked female forms a little too much for my liking, but he redeems himself by having his characters look so realistic.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/chokkan/guylove.jpg
The internet is a series of tubes.

#24 | Back to Top10-17-2006 08:41:10 PM

ZSPACE
Touga Topper

I loooooooooooooooooove everyting CLAMP (team) makes and of course Saito ( i hope i spelled the name right) and that guy who creates Hellsing

#25 | Back to Top10-18-2006 06:22:44 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

BakaElf wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

FINE I WILL! emot-dance

Go you! Definitely come back with a trip report when you see it, I have no problem with a nice lengthy Escaflowne thread. etc-love

Board footer