This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top04-04-2007 03:14:07 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Re: Mikage: What makes him tick?

satyreyes wrote:

I really like this analysis (which I've abbreviated above); your description of Mikage's perspectives on Tokiko and Mamiya ring true.  Between this and the other posts here, I really feel like I've gained a better understanding of Mikage.  Approximately speaking, Miki is to shining thing as Mikage is to family, though Mikage would probably choose a more abstract phrase to describe it.

Actually, one of my favourite symbols in that whole arc is that of the cats in the window -- they are very much the family Nemuro wants. I always find it really hard to actually condense my thoughts on Mikage because I wrote an extensive essay about him almost seven years ago (!) and haven't really moved beyond that analysis, but my theory on him was always basically that he wanted a family, and he saw that in Tokiko. She screwed that up by bringing Akio into the equation he'd already balanced with solely the three of them, and Akio used his lack of equilibrium at that point in his life (a crisis point, like that he brought the others to as Mikage in his elevator...hence the imagery of the coffin at that moment, as he was "reborn" then...there's also the ironic imagery of fire at that moment too, as fire is so often associated with the phoenix and rebirth) to completely screw with him. Nemuro wanted a family unit with Tokiko as wife/mother, and Mamiya as brother/son; Akio took Nemuro's place as husband/father, and so he turned around into Mikage and made Mamiya be everything that he needed in a family member. Ah, the screwy world of Ohtori...

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#27 | Back to Top04-04-2007 04:30:27 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Ah!  I think I mentioned I got the bit about the cat-family in a thread here.  I don't think I read Clarice's essay, but I did a search once I had a name and the subject came up in this thread.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (04-04-2007 04:31:09 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#28 | Back to Top04-04-2007 05:11:34 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

satyreyes wrote:

I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on Kozue, Yasha; I also find her uncomplicated, so the fact that you find her confusing probably means that I haven't thought about her enough.  New thread?  emot-smile

I think the reason I don't get her is because either I'm looking for meaning that isn't there, I'm too much like her to really get her, or too much unlike her to really get her. I have never been able to determine which is the problem, or which combination of things is the problem, so essentially I have no opinion of her. She's a mystery to me. A new thread would be nice, but as I'm working on a couple of other threads right now, I'm not sure how much I could contribute.

Also, CLARICE, DAMMIT, WHY ARE YOUR ESSAYS NOT ON THE SITE? I can't believe I've never asked, especially since you're the resident Analysis Whore. :p

*poof* And rhyaniwyn, this isn't the thread that inspired it, but take a look... *poof*

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#29 | Back to Top04-04-2007 06:04:26 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Poof? O.o I'm confused.

I forgot to say in my blabbings.  When I was re-watching the series recently, I started to wonder: Maybe Mikage didn't reject Tatsuya as a duellist for the reason he said.  If Tatsuya had been manipulated a little, the way certain someones like to do in Ohotri.  Or if Tatsuya had been pushed "deeper"--couldn't he have been driven to the same extremes as the other Black Rose duellists?

Maybe Tatsuya reminded Mikage of himself a little.

ACK!  o_O I didn't notice.  I have a title!!  Thank you!  emot-dance

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (04-04-2007 06:06:01 PM)

#30 | Back to Top04-04-2007 06:22:41 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

rhyaniwyn wrote:

Poof? O.o I'm confused.

I forgot to say in my blabbings.  When I was re-watching the series recently, I started to wonder: Maybe Mikage didn't reject Tatsuya as a duellist for the reason he said.  If Tatsuya had been manipulated a little, the way certain someones like to do in Ohotri.  Or if Tatsuya had been pushed "deeper"--couldn't he have been driven to the same extremes as the other Black Rose duellists?

ACK!  o_O I didn't notice.  I have a title!!  Thank you!  emot-dance

You know, I was thinking the same thing when I was watching the Tatsuya episode. Mikage said he wasn't fit to be a black rose duelist, but I think nearly anyone could be pushed to those extremes.. even Tatsuya would have some selfishness. So it seemed a little strange.

Although, I guess it was for the viewer's surprise.. when I was watching him in the elevator the first time, I thought he would be the black rose duelist and pull Saionji's sword because he resents him. But I was definitely taken by surprise at seeing the elevator going up for him and then later going down for Wakaba. I guess they like to break up the repetitiveness of the duels, like with Touga beating Utena the first time in the first arc, and Ruka popping up to duel in the last arc.

But, as for series-wise reasons why Tatsuya wasn't accepted as a black rose duelist.. I think Mikage was probably covering up for something, too. Hm. Maybe he just thought Tatsuya's "dark self" wasn't strong and bitter enough, or that Wakaba would make a better black rose duelist?

And, damn you people and your nifty titles. emot-mad

#31 | Back to Top04-04-2007 06:51:47 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

And, damn you people and your nifty titles. emot-mad

It takes time to earn a title. You have to show something that makes you title-worthy, or so I hear. Sometimes people get titles fast. Sometimes they have to post a bazillion times to show their dominant ability or trait or whatever.

I imagine I'll be one of the most (of not THE most) presumptuous people sooner or later. Oh yes, baby...my true colours will eventually show... emot-gonk

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#32 | Back to Top04-04-2007 06:59:53 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

I hate to say this, but i'm lost in translation *cries*

#33 | Back to Top04-04-2007 07:38:23 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

rhyaniwyn wrote:

Poof? O.o I'm confused.

You know, I was thinking the same thing when I was watching the Tatsuya episode. Mikage said he wasn't fit to be a black rose duelist, but I think nearly anyone could be pushed to those extremes.. even Tatsuya would have some selfishness. So it seemed a little strange.
<snip>
But, as for series-wise reasons why Tatsuya wasn't accepted as a black rose duelist.. I think Mikage was probably covering up for something, too. Hm. Maybe he just thought Tatsuya's "dark self" wasn't strong and bitter enough, or that Wakaba would make a better black rose duelist?

Having the qualifications of a (Black Rose) duelist isn't _quite_ about bitterness or selfishness.  Seminar members have those things, but that's a by-product of what really makes them qualified.

Tatsuya is bitter and selfish.  He wants Wakaba for himself, is insanely jealous of this unknown "prince" of hers, and positively radiates angst.  In fact, he's one of the most violently emotional of Mikage's interviewees.  What disqualifies him is simple: he thinks of Wakaba as a human being.  Black Rose duelists have to make someone an idol or a trophy.  You can hate an ideal for being unattainable, but you can't hate a human being for the same; all you can do is hate the situation that separates you from them.  Tatsuya respects Wakaba and he acknowledges her right to make her own decisions.  He hates the choice she made, but he knows the choice was hers to make; his anger is not directed at her, but at his loss of her.  (In fact, he's the only Mikage interviewee not to hurl insults at his beloved.)  In this way -- in this acknowledgement of the other's humanity -- Tatsuya elevates himself above his fellow elevator riders, and indeed above pretty much everyone else in the show.  Whatever his faults, he's fundamentally respectful and caring, and one day he will make an excellent, excellent boyfriend.

Tatsuya is not qualified to be a Black Rose duelist, but the other question -- does Tatsuya remind Mikage of himself? -- remains very interesting!  Mikage does sound almost sympathetic when he lets Tatsuya go.  I don't think Mikage's much like Tatsuya.  He looks at Tokiko somewhat like Tsuwabuki looks at Nanami: she represents a certain brand of maturity (though different from the brand Nanami represents), and he aspires to be worthy of her.  Tatsuya might, however, remind Mikage of how he'd like to be.  Nemuro's biggest failing was his computerlike mind.  Tokiko told him that she wasn't sure a computerlike genius could ever find romance; implicitly, she was questioning whether Nemuro could view someone as a human, as opposed to a walking, talking set of algorithms.  Then the ability to view someone as a human is part of what might make Mikage worthy of Tokiko, and Mikage ought to view Tatsuya with sympathy and a little bit of awe.

#34 | Back to Top04-04-2007 08:19:12 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Hmm.

Do you really think Shiori doesn't view Juri as human?  Is it entirely accurate to say that Tatsuya doesn't objectify Wakaba at all, and respects her ability to make her own choices even if he doesn't like them?  I was a bit offended by his psuedo-sensitive ravings.  It's as if he's saying she's too dumb to know if a guy is only after her for sex.  And taking for granted that Wakaba will sleep with this mysterious Prince.  And furthermore supporting centuries of objectification and double-standards by saying that Wakaba will be "tainted" afterwards.

I don't think Nemuro looked *up* to Tokiko.  I think he admired her maternal qualities (men and their mothers), but I feel he viewed her with some romantic inclinations.  As much as the "computer-like" man was able.  (He wasn't a sociopath, though, presumably he had feelings, he just wasn't used to paying them any attention and expressing them socially.  Computer nerds are stereotypically socially inept.  And though it's accurate to say that on some levels Nemuro probably regarded the people around him much like an entomologist would a colony of ants, he was still human himself.  He just wasn't very good at it.)  Nemuro does get jealous when he sees Tokiko with Akio.  Akio channels that jealousy into his own ends.

And Mikage's search for eternity is, on some level, a quest to prove himself--to vindicate himself against Tokiko's opinions and expectations.  The "You were, and are in the wrong.  Look what I'm doing for your brother.  But I'm only doing it because I want to."  Part of his issue is that Tokiko failed to appreciate him.  Mikage even thinks that he martyred himself for Mamiya's sake.

This definitely reminds me of Tatsuya's attitude in the elevator.  "Wakaba, you are in the wrong.  But I'm going to wait for you, and I'm going to accept you even after you are tainted, because I'm a good person."  If Tatsuya were a really good person, he wouldn't think Wakaba would be diminished!  He thinks that because he's nice, Wakaba will have to appreciate him.  He's making himself into a martyr.

Now, I have sympathy for the disappointment suffered by both of these characters.  But I don't agree with their attitudes.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (04-04-2007 08:25:29 PM)

#35 | Back to Top04-04-2007 09:19:32 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Good points!  Let me think about them...

rhyaniwyn wrote:

Do you really think Shiori doesn't view Juri as human?

Yes.  Shiori views Juri as an idol, which is why she resents her so much and is so intoxicated by her power to hurt her.

rhyaniwyn wrote:

Is it entirely accurate to say that Tatsuya doesn't objectify Wakaba at all, and respects her ability to make her own choices even if he doesn't like them?  I was a bit offended by his psuedo-sensitive ravings.  It's as if he's saying she's too dumb to know if a guy is only after her for sex.  And taking for granted that Wakaba will sleep with this mysterious Prince.  And furthermore supporting centuries of objectification and double-standards by saying that Wakaba will be "tainted" afterwards. ...
"Wakaba, you are in the wrong.  But I'm going to wait for you, and I'm going to accept you even after you are tainted, because I'm a good person."  If Tatsuya were a really good person, he wouldn't think Wakaba would be diminished!  He thinks that because he's nice, Wakaba will have to appreciate him.

You can think a person is shortsighted, naive, and wrong without thinking they're not a person.  In fact, thinking someone is making the wrong decision implicitly affirms their agency.  I also interpret the "tainted" slur differently; he's talking about loss of innocence, not of virginity.  If Wakaba's boyfriend is (as Tatsuya self-righteously assumes) abusive and mean, Wakaba would be hard-pressed to escape the relationship with the same innocence Tatsuya associates with her.  There's no objectification there, just an acknowledgement that she is bound to be scarred by the abusive relationship he imagines.

He is martyring himself, though; you're right about that.  I'm not sure that bears on whether he thinks of her as a person, but it certainly bears on how much growing up he has to do.  Certainly it gives us some insight into his self-image; like late-series Touga, he wants to be a prince but doesn't quite understand what a prince is yet.

The quote I like best from Tatsuya's elevator ride is one that doesn't get enough play.  It's the very last thing he says: "Why can't it have been me?"  Not "Damn that slut!" or even "Damn that slut's pimp!", but "Why can't it have been me?" He hates the decision; he hates the outcome; but he doesn't hate Wakaba.  That's all.

rhyaniwyn wrote:

I don't think Nemuro looked *up* to Tokiko.  I think he admired her maternal qualities (men and their mothers), but I feel he viewed her with some romantic inclinations.  As much as the "computer-like" man was able.  (He wasn't a sociopath, though, presumably he had feelings, he just wasn't used to paying them any attention and expressing them socially.  Computer nerds are stereotypically socially inept.  And though it's accurate to say that on some levels Nemuro probably regarded the people around him much like an entomologist would a colony of ants, he was still human himself.  He just wasn't very good at it.)  Nemuro does get jealous when he sees Tokiko with Akio.  Akio channels that jealousy into his own ends.

And Mikage's search for eternity is, on some level, a quest to prove himself--to vindicate himself against Tokiko's opinions and expectations.  The "You were, and are in the wrong.  Look what I'm doing for your brother.  But I'm only doing it because I want to."  Part of his issue is that Tokiko failed to appreciate him.  Mikage even thinks that he martyred himself for Mamiya's sake.

I agree with a lot of this.  Nemuro very much had feelings, including feelings for Tokiko.  But I'd be surprised if he really saw her as a full person, rather than as a novel algorithm whose rules he had to learn through deductive reasoning as opposed to "extroverted introspection."  Over time he might have come to humanize her -- loving someone can teach you that -- but the real problem started when Tokiko didn't acknowledge that Nemuro had, or could have, romantic feelings towards anyone.  When she said that, what he heard was "you are beneath me; I am human in a way that you are not."  All his subsequent efforts to prove himself worthy of her, including his stint as Mikage, were self-defeating because they accepted her premise.

As far as the comparison between Mikage and Tatsuya's martyrdom goes, it's interesting to note that Mikage martyrs himself for Mamiya to impress Tokiko, while Tatsuya martyrs himself for Wakaba to impress Wakaba.  I wonder if that means anything.

Last edited by satyreyes (04-04-2007 09:23:41 PM)

#36 | Back to Top04-05-2007 05:59:29 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

satyreyes wrote:

(In fact, he's the only Mikage interviewee not to hurl insults at his beloved.)

I noticed that about him right away while he was in the elevator. I was waiting for him to go loco and he never really did. When Mikage turned him away I wasn't surprised at all. (Well, I was a bit surprised, but only because shoujo series usually run like clockwork)

rhyaniwyn wrote:

It's as if he's saying she's too dumb to know if a guy is only after her for sex.

Um....I believe Wakaba falls right into that category.

@satreyes: Very well said.

Last edited by YamPuff (04-05-2007 06:00:59 AM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#37 | Back to Top04-05-2007 06:45:34 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I'm sorry to have to disagree with both of you, but I consider those to be insults.  I consider his attitude to be self-righteous and presumptive.

"Tainted" is a word with very negative connotations.  Saying "innocence" instead of "virginity" doesn't change the essential attitude of the statement.

And Wakaba does like a jerk, yes.  Tatsuya has no idea what the guy is like, and he hasn't spoken to Wakaba in several years -- he knows nothing about her anymore, but he immediately jumps to these conclusions.  You shouldn't ignore the patronizing history behind that kind of talk!  I completely object to the reflexive notion that a loss of "innocence" "taints" me; it's an indoctrinated concept and it can end up being very cruel.

In fact, Wakaba has Saionji in her home for quite some time, and they never sleep together.  When he grabs her hands, she objects.  I would go so far as to say that Wakaba knows what she wants out of romance right now, and sex isn't it.  I think Wakaba tends to be conceived of as a sort of cliche, silly, immature girl.  But there are numerous times we're shown that Wakaba has a ground in who she is, is resilient, and fairly strong-willed.

In that thread "Love in all it's forms"--remember the Heartless Bitches essay on "nice guys"?  That's basically the situation we have in Tatsuya.

I don't mean to be kicking puppies by pointing out the bad part of Tatsuya's attitude.  He IS still a pretty nice guy, nicer than Saionji.  No one is at their best when in that kind of emotional turmoil, anyway!  But there's nothing about him that is significantly different from other people who qualified as duellists.  Nothing at all that couldn't have been 'fixed' with a bit of a push.  Your basic feelings about the Black Rose duellists differ from my own in several respects, so it's probably not a topic on which we'll agree. emot-smile

But I suppose that even if you don't feel the same way I do about Tatsuya's comments, it's still possible to think that Mikage was personally touched by, or reminded of himself by something Tatsuya said--something that speaks volumes about Mikage's character.  Which I feel is basically that Tatsuya's self-martyrdom in saying he'll still be there for Wakaba after she is tainted is similar to Mikage's initial reasons for seeking eternity.  And touches upon a sore spot in his memories.

#38 | Back to Top04-05-2007 11:27:51 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I think we agree on more than we disagree emot-smile  Tatsuya is self-righteous and presumptive; I even used the former word to describe him in my last post.  The only thing we really seem to disagree on is whether Mikage lets Tatsuya go because Tatsuya's feelings are fundamentally different from those of the other BRD, or because Tatsuya reminds Mikage of himself.  I can see both sides.

What I really want to point out, though, is that we are interpreting a work in translation.  Whenever you want to read something into a character's exact choice of words in a translated work, there's ultimately a language barrier you can't breach, and we've reached that barrier with "tainted."  The verb Tatsuya uses is "kegaru."  I know a little Japanese, and I'm pretty sure kegaru is a strong negative word, but I have not the foggiest idea whether it carries exactly the same connotations you associate with "taint."

#39 | Back to Top04-05-2007 11:38:14 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Yasha wrote:

Also, CLARICE, DAMMIT, WHY ARE YOUR ESSAYS NOT ON THE SITE? I can't believe I've never asked, especially since you're the resident Analysis Whore. :p

Hee, if you'd like them, you're welcome to them! I think you already have one of them anyway, and I only wrote two others...the one on Mikage, and one about Nanami and her dear little egg. Did you want me to send them in .doc format or something at some point?

satyreyes wrote:

The quote I like best from Tatsuya's elevator ride is one that doesn't get enough play.  It's the very last thing he says: "Why can't it have been me?"  Not "Damn that slut!" or even "Damn that slut's pimp!", but "Why can't it have been me?" He hates the decision; he hates the outcome; but he doesn't hate Wakaba.  That's all.

Ah, I remember talking about this on an earlier thread, and I remember getting very bogged down in my own thoughts as to why Mikage rejected him and what this said about Mikage as a person -- because I also believed two things, that a) Tatsuya wasn't negative enough to be useful and b) Tatsuya's plight rubbed Mikage the wrong way, and he didn't want to examine the reasons why this was so. It just occured to me as I was reading all this, though, that the fact Tatsuya doesn't hate Wakaba is what ruins it...because he doesn't hate Saionji either. He does resent his presence, but his actual person? It's not what he's really concerned with. All he cares about is Wakaba, and himself. And in the end, Mikage needs people to rip the swords out of a student council member...Tatsuya's emotions about this whole situation are directed at Wakaba, not Saionji. I am now thinking that Mikage assumed Tatsuya would flip out at the person who TOOK Wakaba from him, but...he didn't.

The irony here is that Nemuro himself behaved in a similar way. When Akio "took" Tokiko away from him, he turned his resentment on HER not HIM. So there is that similarity there, although the confounding factor comes in the form of Mamiya (in both his forms). God, I love this show. etc-love

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#40 | Back to Top04-05-2007 11:49:05 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Clarice wrote:

And in the end, Mikage needs people to rip the swords out of a student council member...Tatsuya's emotions about this whole situation are directed at Wakaba, not Saionji. I am now thinking that Mikage assumed Tatsuya would flip out at the person who TOOK Wakaba from him, but...he didn't.

The irony here is that Nemuro himself behaved in a similar way. When Akio "took" Tokiko away from him, he turned his resentment on HER not HIM. So there is that similarity there, although the confounding factor comes in the form of Mamiya (in both his forms). God, I love this show. etc-love

Now there's something I hadn't considered.  Is it true that only student council members are good candidates for sword-removal?  I remember a conversation about that in episode 15, but I don't remember the Seitokai being specifically cited.  If you're right and Saionji, not Wakaba, was the only viable target for Tatsuya, then the analysis becomes rather different.

Interestingly, Mikage didn't assume Tatsuya would flip out at Saionji or anyone else.  Tatsuya was never invited to the Seminar.  When he arrived, no one was waiting for him.  He apologizes for barging in.  Mikage never even bothers with "Deeper, go deeper."  I think Mikage knows before Tatsuya shows up at Nemuro Memorial Hall that Tatsuya is either not corruptible or not someone he wants to corrupt; his focus is already on Wakaba.

Last edited by satyreyes (04-05-2007 11:50:52 AM)

#41 | Back to Top04-05-2007 12:23:21 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

You're right, satyreyes. emot-smile

I didn't mention that because this was my thought:

Tatsuya did barge in.  His only investment is really in Wakaba.  Who knows if he might turn his ire on Saionji, if he knew who it was.  Maybe, maybe not.  So, aside from whether his emotions were negative enough, you have the problem that they might not be directed toward an appropriate target for sword-pulling.

However, we have no way of knowing if only Student Council members can have swords pulled from them.  I think you can probably pull a sword from anyone (but I imagine pulling a sword from an "average" person might give you a shoddy wooden one).  But Mikage's plan involves using the Student Council members' swords because, as they are duellists, they must be qualified and have good swords for duelling.

What I wonder is whether Mikage would reject an experiment with an alternative for one duel when such an alternative (Tatsuya) falls into his lap.  No one is waiting for Tatsuya, but Mikage appears to be considering him.  Mikage listens, he responds.  I doubt he does it because he wants to be a guidance counselor.  emot-biggrin

So I figure that Mikage would have let the experiment run.

#42 | Back to Top04-05-2007 12:39:28 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

rhyaniwyn wrote:

What I wonder is whether Mikage would reject an experiment with an alternative for one duel when such an alternative (Tatsuya) falls into his lap.  No one is waiting for Tatsuya, but Mikage appears to be considering him.  Mikage listens, he responds.  I doubt he does it because he wants to be a guidance counselor.  emot-biggrin

I'd buy that!  I think the problem is that we're led to believe that Mamiya and Mikage have a finite supply of black roses.  In episode 22, the one immediately before Mikage's duel, one of them -- I think Mamiya -- says that there's only one left.  If not for that, I can see Mikage experimenting with non-Duelists' swords.

#43 | Back to Top04-05-2007 12:41:28 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Oop! We don't find that out until after, but they do say that, I had forgotten!

(I wonder if Akio just wasn't ready for it to be over, so, no more black roses.)

#44 | Back to Top04-05-2007 12:41:50 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

rhyaniwyn wrote:

You're right, satyreyes. emot-smile

I didn't mention that because this was my thought:

Tatsuya did barge in.  His only investment is really in Wakaba.  Who knows if he might turn his ire on Saionji, if he knew who it was.  Maybe, maybe not.  So, aside from whether his emotions were negative enough, you have the problem that they might not be directed toward an appropriate target for sword-pulling.

However, we have no way of knowing if only Student Council members can have swords pulled from them.  I think you can probably pull a sword from anyone (but I imagine pulling a sword from an "average" person might give you a shoddy wooden one).  But Mikage's plan involves using the Student Council members' swords because, as they are duellists, they must be qualified and have good swords for duelling.

AH, I forgot that. This is the problem of trying to analyse something that you haven't actually watched in a long time. [slaps hand] I figure it was probably Mikage's curiosity that let the experiment run, because although Tatsuya blundered in without invitation (and that's probably why I learn towards the thought that the seitokai were the most useful to him in terms of their swords; they'd already been "forged" to some degree before Mikage got anywhere near them) one wonders if Mikage knew what was going on beforehand. He was already vetting Wakaba as the one to pull Saionji's sword, but there was this wildcard to one side of her (who may have even seemed more useful because Wakaba does tend to come across as fairly sweet and harmless) who turned up on his doorstep. So, he gave him a whirl, found him wanting, rejected him, and set up Wakaba to do the job instead.

That's one way of looking at it, anyway. emot-keke I love this part of the show, so I am happy to talk about it unto the ends of eternity, really...

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#45 | Back to Top07-15-2008 03:55:27 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

For me, Mikage is that type of genius, who needs something to gain motivation for researchers. He could discover something absolutely awesome, he could invent really amazing thing, but he needs direction to head for. His brain could be developed on many areas, so he was distracted - it was like running in every direction in the same time, so he focused on eternity issue. In my opinion he needed personal interest, but he started to be involved because he had too many time to think about Mamiya and Tokiko.
He wasn't bad, he's a person who is rather hesistant about his morality - perfect philosopher. Every erudite has doubts over what's good and what's bad - theirs minds are more open and could adapt their mentality for enviroment. If whole world is bad, there's no way to avoid being evil too.
I don't think he loved Mamiya in sexual way - he needed someting to be inspired and he was lonely. He had something that reminded him family (Do you remember cats while he was drinking tea with Tokiko?).

I've never seen him as a bad guy, he was an Akio's marionette. He's just like Faust, don't you think? The only difference is that Margerite=Tokiko is more aware of evilness of devil, she isn't reluctant.

Last edited by dlaire (07-15-2008 03:55:51 AM)

#46 | Back to Top07-15-2008 04:04:45 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

dlaire wrote:

I've never seen him as a bad guy, he was an Akio's marionette. He's just like Faust, don't you think? The only difference is that Margerite=Tokiko is more aware of evilness of devil, she isn't reluctant.

That brings up rather an interesting question of how aware Tokiko was, when it comes to what Akio was doing. Was she just seduced by Akio, as so many undoubtedly were before and after her, or did she play along with Akio when he said it was needed in order to keep Nemuro on the project and working for its completion? What would Tokiko have done, in order to save her brother's life? I think it's obvious that she wouldn't have sacrificed the lives of a hundred boys in order to preserve the life of one, but Nemuro did. But only because he was terrified of losing both Tokiko AND Mamiya, I think. This is probably the point where his affections begin to shift their primary focus, though I don't think the truly sexual element entered his relationship with Mamiya until he truly wore the shadow-state of Mikage.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#47 | Back to Top08-03-2008 02:34:02 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Crossed from another thread, continued here. emot-keke

Giovanna wrote:

Which is actually making me think of Mikage. Definitely a kickass duel, and he's a surprisingly good fighter, but he approaches it the same way he approached manipulation (Akio's game). In both cases, treating them as a calculable science meant he was highly skilled, and really quite capable in them, but when push comes to shove, Akio and Utena had intuition and intent, and that trumped the academic take.

It doesn't seem like a huge leap from here to view Mikage as a representation of aspects of Japanese society, and a warning about them. I would further this to the fields of science in general but I suspect the former more possibly the show's intent. The school and job system, and general social climate in Japan, seems from a distance to encourage the development of technical skill above other things, leaving artistic flair and the more abstract kinds of skill (intuition) to, well, art. The result is a scientific and social climate that's very progressive, after all, technical skill gets quite a bit done, but it lacks a certain something. A soul, an intuitive mind, as if in Japan the goal is to create progress, with no real focus on where it's going, no real purpose.

These are the conditions Nemuro, and later Mikage, operate under. Computerlike, crunching numbers, but with no purpose or soul to it, unaware that a spark of intuition and maybe some soulful intent would more elegantly do the work of thousands of computers.

At the same time, it's the nature of genius to feverishly work itself. This isn't to say you never see lazy geniuses, but there's a compulsion I've seen in many of them (myself included, though I'm not technically on the level of a genius), to think ceaselessly. These are the people that are constantly doing something, but only certain somethings, unable to tolerate the boredom of idleness. This is Mikage's kind of genius, the sort that will not sit still. The sort you can give a very boring technical job to, because they have to be working their minds or they become restless. A genius of Mikage's sort with nothing to work on is like a tiger in a small space. There's nowhere for the mind to go and so it paces back and forth getting more and more agitated. This sort is certainly useful, but it's the computer, where the power is in the person that administers the commands. If there's a warning in Mikage, that he represents a dangerous flaw in Japanese social thinking, it's that he makes Japan the computer, and someone else is Akio tapping away at the keys.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#48 | Back to Top08-03-2008 02:47:33 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hah, I like Gio's story of Mikage as a cautionary tale emot-smile  Being skeptical of "progress" is an important theme in Japanese literature, and for reasons a lot like these -- we don't know whether we can drive towards progress without leaving our soul behind.

What I still can't get past in any treatment of Nemuro/Mikage as purely calculating, however, is his acts of passion.  Nemuro didn't sit down with a pad and make a list of pros and cons of burning down the building where he did his research.  And for an unempathetic drone, he sure does know exactly how to get to Utena in the scene where he goads her into challenging him.  You could write this into the cautionary tale, though; a society that denies its emotional side will ultimately snap and destroy itself.

#49 | Back to Top08-03-2008 09:10:33 PM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

I actually like to think of Mikage's story as a cautionary tale not against progress or lack of/excess of passion in your work, but one against magical thinking. Clearly, at some point before the fire, Nemuro went from being a respectable researcher to a few electrons shy of a stable isotope. Ultimately, he tried to use mathematics and physics in an experiment involving something that is neither quantifiable nor physical involving events that clearly have no causal relationship. "How many students do I need to roast alive to gain the power of eternity?" To a sane person, this is obviously not a very appropriate research topic. But it's not that much of a stretch once you're on your way down that slippery slope.

#50 | Back to Top08-03-2008 09:25:02 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

OnionPrince wrote:

Ultimately, he tried to use mathematics and physics in an experiment involving something that is neither quantifiable nor physical involving events that clearly have no causal relationship. "How many students do I need to roast alive to gain the power of eternity?" To a sane person, this is obviously not a very appropriate research topic. But it's not that much of a stretch once you're on your way down that slippery slope.

I'd backpedal a little from this and ask: Why does Mikage think that killing the Rose Bride and replacing her with Mamiya will result in revolution for Mikage?  Is this just an insane delusion, like seeing Utena as Tokiko?  Or does he have a reason?

If he does have a reason, most likely it's that "Mamiya" (meaning Anthy) told him that's what he had to do.  This may seem like a pretty scant basis for belief, but the entire Student Council buys essentially the same line from anonymous letters, based only on seeing a castle in the sky (which Mikage probably knows about too).  We can even give Mikage the benefit of the doubt if we feel like it and assume that he's not really committed to believing that killing the Rose Bride will help; the entire Black Rose Saga is an experiment to see if it works.  Anything he says to the contrary is interpreted as a way to placate Mamiya, who encourages him to kill the Bride.  This theory isn't very Occam's Razoresque, but it does have the poetry that Mikage becomes a mirror to Akio; both men are playing a charade for the sake of keeping Anthy happy.

Board footer