This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-19-2006 10:53:42 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Google. Not all companies are sadistic bloodsucking machines of greed!

WARNING: LONG

I'm a capitalist at heart. I love corporate greed and the unholy ruthlessness of people with power and money. I realize this well-oiled machine screws me on a regular basis, but it's going to do that whether I rail against it or not, so I sit back and enjoy the show. You wanna make Gio a happy girl? Let her sit in front of the NYSE and think of all the money being passed between the greedy manipulatives bastards across the street. Billions and billions in the time it takes to eat a hot dog. Rawr.

You tend think someone like me probably isn't terribly impressed when companies give to charity and such. You're right. Because usually it's done for the P.R. and the tax write off and just out of sheer perceived obligation. I'm not someone that believes in a moral obligation to share wealth, and I'm very skeptical of the reasons most companies have to do so.

So what's this all about? In this thread I'm going to etc-wankgirl my god damn head off over the best thing to happen to wealth in America since the Rockefeller family. Google.

I won't bore you with the details of the company's foundation or any crap like that, except to say their business model is such a gross departure from the norm in this country that most people, myself included, figured it would die with the rest of the dot-coms. Instead it's one of the few still alive, and unlike those that died before, it turns a profit. And it's done some severely awesome things with that profit, both in the name of philanthropy and in the name of making actual quality products. Gmail? A huge inbox and a chat feature? (Need an invite? I have.) Google Spreadsheets? Perfect for making ultra nerdy SKU MtG sets. Google Maps? Just type an address into the search engine! Oh yeah, and the same technology is applied to GOOGLE MOON AND GOOGLE MARS. Google Talk? (It's like AIM without the BRUTAL CPU CLOGGING RAPE.) Google News? (A news site that summarizes events by offering several different site's coverage. Lovely way to get around bias in the media.) Google Earth? (DOWNLOAD THE EARTH)

Ahem. As you can see, I'm a huge fan of the stuff Google offers us, and I'm constantly surprised by how unobtrusive the ads are. You know that ridiculous banner ad underneath the window in ICQ? Nope, nothing like that. But what really impresses me about Google is that they're a true force for good in the world, with projects and charities that are making a difference, and the money the funnel into this stuff is above and beyond what companies do for show. The numbers are smaller than what you see from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, but it's a larger percentage of the available assets. And they're versatile. Whatever cause you think is worth fighting for, Google probably has their nose in it. Let's review!

http://google.org/
The philanthropic wing of the company. Google.org is for-profit, which is a very strange thing to do. The company is putting 1% of it's stock and capital into this. One billion. It ain't beans, and it's a lot for a company to throw at such a venture. Now, being for-profit means they have to pay taxes if they turn a profit, but it also means they're not obligated to spend their money in certain ways. So what kind of stuff are they doing?

New York Times wrote:

According to people briefed on the program, the organization, called Google.org, plans to develop an ultra-fuel-efficient plug-in hybrid car engine that runs on ethanol, electricity and gasoline.

The philanthropy is consulting with hybrid-engine scientists and automakers, and has arranged for the purchase of a small fleet of cars with plans to convert the engines so that their gas mileage exceeds 100 miles per gallon. The goal of the project is to reduce dependence on oil while alleviating the effects of global warming.

cool

Of course, there's also the Google Foundation, which was started with an investment of $90m, with $175m to be added over the next three years. This is a traditional non-profit organization. What is it up to?

BBC News wrote:

The Acumen Fund, which will receive $5m to fund anti-poverty and healthcare schemes in the developing world

A research project in Kenya run by economists from Harvard University and the University of California, which will get $400,000 for efforts to improve rural water quality

US-based organisation Technoserve will get $500,000 for a competition to find and fund business start-ups in Ghana.

Not bad, huh? Let's see, what else...oh!

http://www.google.com/grants/

Google offers free in-line advertising (the ads on the right when you use the search engine) to non-profit organizations like UNICEF and Room to Read, which is devoted to one on one focused education for poverty-stricken children in Asian countries. The results for recipients of this grant have been astounding, often hitting press/money/volunteer increases of 50%.

But what sparked this thread? Well I'll admit, it wasn't any of that stuff above, though actually I'd thought of posting about it before. It's this.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12825 … ticle.html

Google and NASA are already joined at the hips with NASA World Wind, which is kinda like Google Earth but much more HARDCORE and awesome. This effort will help make the ridiculous wealth of information NASA has gathered available to nerds like me (emot-rolleyes), and more importantly, the next generation of scientists. And that's always a good thing. school-eng101

There's a lot more great things Google has their hand in, but this is just something quick I threw together while listening to my boss whining. In summary: YAY GOOGLE emot-dance etc-love emot-dance

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top12-19-2006 11:32:54 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Re: Google. Not all companies are sadistic bloodsucking machines of greed!

I love Google.  I had entirely too much fun when Google Earth first came out.  *waves the Google flag*

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#3 | Back to Top12-19-2006 11:50:00 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Google is a company whose unofficial corporate motto is "don't be evil."  It's surprising and awesome that, thus far, they've managed to stand by it.  Stay good, Google, stay good!

A lot of their success thus far comes from their mastery of Rule of Acquisition #45: Expand or die.  Google is so diversified now that everyone could stop using their search engine tomorrow and they'd likely still be profitable.  It looks like they're also getting into Rule of Acquisition #144: There's nothing wrong with charity, so long as it winds up in your pocket.  Google.org is a terrific idea.  But the non-Google.org projects really do strike me as humanitarian; for now I'll choose to believe emot-smile

I worry that one day Google will turn evil.  Imagine if you woke up tomorrow and Google was evil.  What strings would be attached to your use of Gmail?  Who would have access to your search history?  Will the travel routes you put together on Google Maps be logged to track your movements?  Pretty scary.  But not as scary as this: imagine if Google continued to expand, becoming an indispensable (and omnibenevolent) part of everyday life, and then you woke up <i>in twenty years</i> and Google was evil.  They could rule the world.  They could... well...

http://www.evilbrainjono.net/cgi-bin/yu … cgi?page=9

#4 | Back to Top12-19-2006 12:16:25 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

Tell me, Giovanna, are you an Ayn Rand fan? emot-biggrin

#5 | Back to Top12-19-2006 01:24:25 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Have you ever tried googling your own name? or better yet....if you google gay midget or something like that...TOM CRUISE appears. I etc-love Google for encouraging my own randomness.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#6 | Back to Top12-19-2006 01:35:32 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Archambeau wrote:

I was going to attempt to save face by reading up on her first, but to be perfectly honest, I know almost nothing about her philosophy and her ideas. I have heard a lot of complaining about her books being lousy reads, and I know the avenue of capitalism she supports well enough to know why you'd ask me that, but I'm unfamiliar with the details of her take on things so I can't say whether or not I agree.

I do think laissez-faire capitalism is probably the most fun to watch. emot-keke

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

Have you ever tried googling your own name? or better yet....if you google gay midget or something like that...TOM CRUISE appears. I etc-love Google for encouraging my own randomness.

Hah! Haven't we all. What pisses me off is that EM is only on the second page in the US when you google 'Utena'. emot-mad

I love that the search engine is so smart. I use it as a dictionary and for currency conversions and finding addresses and all kinds of whacky cool stuff. Oh yes.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#7 | Back to Top12-19-2006 01:46:45 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

When you Google 'Utena' on the google.hr (Croatian), EM's on the fourth page. d:

#8 | Back to Top12-19-2006 02:03:58 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Archambeau wrote:

I was going to attempt to save face by reading up on her first, but to be perfectly honest, I know almost nothing about her philosophy and her ideas. I have heard a lot of complaining about her books being lousy reads, and I know the avenue of capitalism she supports well enough to know why you'd ask me that, but I'm unfamiliar with the details of her take on things so I can't say whether or not I agree.

I do think laissez-faire capitalism is probably the most fun to watch. emot-keke

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

Hah! Haven't we all. What pisses me off is that EM is only on the second page in the US when you google 'Utena'. emot-mad

I love that the search engine is so smart. I use it as a dictionary and for currency conversions and finding addresses and all kinds of whacky cool stuff. Oh yes.

I know....I googled how to make the best mix tape and it was oh-so-very awesome.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#9 | Back to Top12-19-2006 02:11:24 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

Giovanna wrote:

I'd have to disagree in regards to the books being "lousy reads" -- The Fountainhead is one of my favorite books.  She gets a bit repetitive with her adjectives, and sometimes the underlying philosophy is not as "under" as it should be, but I find her work enjoyable.  That, and her sex scenes are fantastic, in my opinion. school-devil

#10 | Back to Top12-19-2006 02:14:29 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I googled Utena on google.com.au (Australia) and I couldn't find EM even after page 12.

#11 | Back to Top12-19-2006 02:16:15 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

emot-mad Fuck you, Google! emot-mad

That's alright though, because you do cool things with NASA. etc-love You can beat me around a little. etc-love

#12 | Back to Top12-19-2006 02:17:05 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Methinks you missed it. Click.

#13 | Back to Top12-19-2006 02:20:47 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

If I recall, Ayn Rand was the original libertarian.

I am not a libertarian.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#14 | Back to Top12-19-2006 03:02:26 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Google is my first stop online when I'm looking for something.  I started using them when they launched that search engine, and I always have liked their minimalist search page.  Results are usually the easiest to browse through too.

And Google Earth?  I could play with that for hours!  I need to check out the moon and Mars one of these days.

Yay Google!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#15 | Back to Top12-19-2006 03:33:42 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Arki wrote:

Methinks you missed it. Click.

Woops, my bad! But still at page 10? Thats pretty damn low, I  tend to only do about 5 pages at the most so I would have missed it otherwise.

#16 | Back to Top12-19-2006 05:20:11 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I have libertarian leanings, but Ayn Rand kind of creeps me out. (I've only read Atlas Shrugged and a few essays on 'er, though.)

In before, "I for one, welcome our Google Overlords." Google is how giant corporations are run in Utopia. The government should be more like them and try to work with NASA too. ;(

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#17 | Back to Top12-19-2006 05:45:48 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Hmm, I searched "Utena" on Google and EM came up as the 13th hit (page 2). emot-confused

Google ranks by linked pages. The more web pages that link to EM, the higher it will go in the rankings because Google figures the site is getting more popular because it's good, which it is of course!

#18 | Back to Top12-19-2006 07:13:55 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

It comes up seventh for me using .com

And fifth using .ca

This is still on topic, right?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#19 | Back to Top12-19-2006 07:48:36 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Sorta. emot-smile

I, for one, would marry google if given the chance. etc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#20 | Back to Top12-20-2006 05:36:39 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

I'm glad to know Google is giving NASA some love. That's a definate GOLD STAR in my book! I always knew there was a reason google was my favorite search engine... I'll definately show my support now that I know they are hand-in-hand with space activities!

I'm very disappointed with the lack of funding with all things space-related. How about building a bio dome on the moon for starters?

We've sent a craft to Mars. We've touched the moon long ago. WHY isn't there more funding so that we can begin colonization? Space projects are falling by the wayside!

AND, we were supposed to have flying cars by 2000! emot-mad

Well, if NASA had more funding, some of those fun goals might be achieved. Sadly, unless something bad happens on the surface of *this* planet, I doubt the governments are going to advance space exploration.

Last edited by Frosty (12-20-2006 05:38:12 AM)

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#21 | Back to Top12-20-2006 07:32:46 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

YAY SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME. etc-love etc-love etc-love

NASA has gotten the short end of the funding stick for decades. People talk about what a joke it is, HURR YOU'RE LAUNCHING SHUTTLES OLDER THAN MY CAR. Yeah, they are. That would be because they haven't had enough money to properly fund R&D since the shuttles were built. They get just enough to spend it all on bureaucracy. They really need to clean up in there, but the problem with that is cleaning up would...HURR. REQUIRE MONEY. It's like a crackhead only getting ten or twenty dollars at a time. That's enough for more crack, not enough to try and move out of the ghetto.

Instead, NASA is the punching bag for talking about government excess, though it gets less of the Federal Budget than the toilet paper bill in Iraq. Then Bush gets all pissy and DEMANDS we start up manned exploration again. Naturally the answer is to force NASA to cut R&D and astrobiology research to divert the funds, instead of making demands of an administration but at least providing more money to accomplish them.

Bush: HURR MOON BASE
NASA: uh
Bush: MAKE IT YOU ASSHOLES
NASA: ...we have to make calls like 'keep the Hubble' or 'launch the new one' because we don't have any money, and you want a fucking moon base
Bush: YEAH, CUT ALL THAT OTHER SILLY CRAP YOU KIDS DO WITH THE ROBOTS AND STUDYING HOW THE HUMAN BODY REACTS TO SPACE TRAVEL
NASA: ...but we need the astrobiology for manned mis-
Bush: RAWR ARAWRAWROHV

As you can see, I'm rather bitter about this subject. Stupid Bush and his retarded PR move. (Hay let's talk about NASA, that's totally unrelated to Iraq and I TOTALLY give a shit about it given I've done nothing but cut their budget and ignore them my entire presidency!) I wanted my Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter. emot-frown

This is why my heart gets all a flutter at what they're doing with Google. I get beat down over and over, like a diehard fan of a crappy baseball team, but maybe, maybe, this will get people actually seeing what NASA does. I know it's nerdy nerdy stuff, but I can't help but wonder if our total disinterest in anything to do with space isn't fueled a lot by ignorance. I don't expect everyone to be as passionate about it as I am, but I really want to hope, against hope, that what they're doing with Google will bring some attention to space. That at least a few 10 year olds will find this stuff and think it's really really awesome and worth learning about. Sometimes that's all it takes.

I just want people to care. A little tiny bit. emot-frown I mean, aren't we going to be living there someday? emot-frown

...don't people realize we have to? emot-frown Plz Google much etc-loves and help us. emot-frown

Edit: I know what you mean Frosty. But a lot of people feel like it's wasting money we need here, when really, it's an investment like any other. It's just a large timescale and we're impatient. You could triple NASA's budget and you know what? It's still a drop in the bucket. And I promise, it's not being spent better anywhere else. I mean...this is the US government we're talking about here. emot-frown

In my perfect shiny world, the entire pile of cash spent on Iraq would have gone into the sciences. And done a lot more.

#22 | Back to Top12-20-2006 11:22:06 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Giovanna wrote:

In my perfect shiny world, the entire pile of cash spent on Iraq would have gone into the sciences. And done a lot more.

We wouldn't be inspecting heat-shield tiles every time we send a shuttle up, at the very least.  Maybe a few diseases would have been cured on the side, too. Why seek more knowledge when you can be a brainless flag-waving drone?! emot-mad

Science as a whole gets brushed aside by the autonomous collective, at least in this country, and that's a shame.  Witness the demise of The Discovery Channel and The Learning Channel into "Remodel your room!" programming.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (12-20-2006 11:24:39 AM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#23 | Back to Top12-20-2006 11:51:10 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Exactly. Why does my AOL front page news read: Bush Wants To Expand the Military! There isn't a revolt??? They are slipping this shit past us, the same way they slipped in that offensive "no smoking in public" law. emot-mad

I honestly had not heard that Bush was whining for a Moon Base, or demanding space exploration. Sounds like the wrong method, but I'm glad he mentioned NASA & Moon Base on TV. Although, if I understand correctly, he was just mentioning these things too look good, while letting NASA take the blame, so he looks like he's trying to be a good spaceman, and they look like their undermining our countries defense?! It's so awful! I was sure by the time I was an adult, we private citizens would have a way to at least visit the moon. like the woman I read about, who was wealthy, and developed the first privately owned craft to reach out of the atmosphere... or something, but basically, she paid to get into space. Now, if she can pay to get the rest of us into space...

I'm hoping though, that the mere mention Bush has made recently, will keep a lot of people actually really excited about space... Especially those smart science people, who might actually be able to contribute something worthwhile.

If the country could be convinced that dumping money into the space program was a good thing, not because we’re racing against another country to score the first point, but it is its own reward. Why? The farther we go, the more we’ll understand. And knowledge is the most valuable asset of all! Besides if everyone were working toward a common goal of reaching out into the unknown, there would be less squabbles amongst ourselves over “territory“ on Earth. Why, we could move our fights out into space, the way Star Wars intended. Maybe that aspect will appeal to Bush?

The alternate forms of engines/power didn't really get high attention until everyone began whipping up the public into a frenzy that oil would disappear. So, space travel...I'm thinking we'll be forced into a hole with Dr. Strangelove, before colonization becomes a reality. Oh well, I hope cryogenics is advanced before I pass on. I will unfreeze and have my Mars mansion! emot-dance

Motto: "Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter"  That's HILARIOUS!

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#24 | Back to Top12-20-2006 01:54:16 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I have a pretty long rant about NASA being screwed by the government, but everyone else just about covers it. The worst part is that nobody really gives a shit about NASA and 100% of the time Congress even THINKS about NASA it's in the context of, "HMM. HOW CAN I FUNNEL SOME OF NASA'S BUDGET INTO BEING USED IN MY STATE??" And as a result of that NOTHING ever happens because everyone's too busy fighting over what part of the map the research is happening in.

I double majored in Astronomy in college and one of my Professors basically got up in front of the class and said, "If you intend to have a fulfilling career in any science at all you better think of learning another language and getting the hell out of the US because they're determined to make life hell for everyone."

Yaaaaaaaaay.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#25 | Back to Top12-21-2006 09:32:53 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Hinotori wrote:

I double majored in Astronomy in college and one of my Professors basically got up in front of the class and said, "If you intend to have a fulfilling career in any science at all you better think of learning another language and getting the hell out of the US because they're determined to make life hell for everyone."

emot-gonk The truth of that statement makes me sad. emot-gonk
In a generation or so, the advances Europe and Asia are making in life sciences and computer technology are going to make us the laughing stock of planet Earth. Actually, they're already doing that. emot-frown

You do realize I have to pick your brain at some point now, right? I love astronomy, but I don't have the math talents for physics-based sciences. I'm better with the biological stuff. I'd love to get schooled a little by someone who has gone through the coursework, though. emot-smile

AH BUT I CAN TOTALLY DRAG GOOGLE BACK INTO THIS.

http://scholar.google.com/

What is Google Scholar?
Google Scholar provides a simple way to broadly search for scholarly literature. From one place, you can search across many disciplines and sources: peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, abstracts and articles, from academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories, universities and other scholarly organizations. Google Scholar helps you identify the most relevant research across the world of scholarly research.

It's pretty damn handy for finding stuff for higher-end research, though most of the sites are charging the usual arm and leg for access to the articles. I really wish the literature was, if not free, than more reasonably priced. I love reading peer-reviewed journals, but I can't afford 30+ bucks a month to subscribe, and even the student discounts aren't sufficient. emot-mad

Edit: AND SPEAKING OF WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, Google is trading on the NASDAQ at god damn $456bux per share. I'd love to have a few shares, just because I believe in it as a company, but christ people. emot-frown

Board footer