This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-30-2006 12:11:09 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Utena meets Magic: the Gathering in a huge nerdy meltdown!!!

This is the thread for dorky MTG-related SKUness. Let's make SKU cards and talk about how Temporal Adept was a huge waste of a card when you'd buy a single pack. emot-mad

http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~oosting/m … /index.php

I puked these up with my boss watching me, so they might suck. Also I haven't played in years.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/MTG02.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/MTG01.jpg

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top11-30-2006 12:24:43 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: Utena meets Magic: the Gathering in a huge nerdy meltdown!!!

It's too bad there aren't quite enough elevators to make a cycle emot-smile  There's the Student Council elevator, the Arena elevator, the Tower elevator, and the Black Rose elevator.  Maybe I'm forgetting one?  Anyone?

Anyway, I will definitely post cards later emot-smile  I like both of yours, Gio.  Seduction is an unusual flavor for blue, but I think you made it fit.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-30-2006 12:26:27 PM)

#3 | Back to Top11-30-2006 12:28:24 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

It's too bad there aren't quite enough elevators to make a cycle emot-smile  There's the Student Council elevator, the Arena elevator, the Tower elevator, and the Black Rose elevator.  Maybe I'm forgetting one?  Anyone?

Well if you're going by buildings, the Student Council elevator and the Tower elevator are the same. emot-keke But they're probably different elevators in the same building or something...

You could make a cycle if you include stairs, though. Going up and down instead of just elevators...

Of course if we're going to count 'going up and down', then To-...oh sorry, wrong forum. emot-biggrin

Edit: Maybe if you split the Arena elevator into regular and the time she goes up it at night?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top11-30-2006 12:46:46 PM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

Aw Magic, I used to play it. Here there's the program to create card on your computer.

Last edited by Sey (11-30-2006 12:52:15 PM)

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#5 | Back to Top11-30-2006 12:59:47 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Sey wrote:

Aw Magic, I used to play it. Here there's the program to create card on your computer.

I can't get it to work emot-gonk  It puts up the progress bar, but it never gets past 0%, then eventually quits out, saying "Il programma é stato disinstallado."  I don't know Italian, but the program certainly didn't install correctly.  Any ideas?

#6 | Back to Top11-30-2006 01:01:00 PM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

I've correct the link with the proper program, sorry emot-tongue

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#7 | Back to Top11-30-2006 02:46:00 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Very nice program there Sey, very nice... very user friendly as well, only problem is that text. not as fancy... but oh well. I love the Black Rose Saga so I'll mainly focus around cards from that Saga

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/6784/selfconfessionon0.jpg

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/9664/notsodifferentiz9.jpg

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/3114/professornemurocv0.jpg

Uh... the text on "Not so different" should read 4 life for two creatures as well Nemuro should be a legendary human professor, to assure not more then one can be played. Still have yet to actually make Mikage... a bit difficult.

Last edited by Xu Yuan (11-30-2006 02:48:20 PM)

#8 | Back to Top11-30-2006 05:17:43 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

...okay, perhaps this is uselessly pedantic, but here's my own attempt to actually make these fit the 8th edition rules (I'm not sure about 9th edition)

Sweet Seduction
1UU
Enchant Creature
~This~ comes into play with 3 flame counters on it.  At the beginning of your upkeep, remove one flame counter from ~this~.  If no flame counters remain on ~this~ you gain control of enchanted creature.

Saionji Kiyouichi
3RR
Creature - Human Duelist
Haste
If ~this~ would be destroyed, you may pay R.  If you do, shuffle ~this~ into your library.  If you do not, remove ~this~ from play instead.
8/1
Reason for change:  The game doesn't remember the state of cards that have been removed from the play area.

Self Confession
?  (Probably should be BB or 1B)
Sorcery
Kicker BB
Search your deck for a card named "Mikage Souji" and put it in your hand, then lose 5 life.  If the Kicker cost was paid, put the card into play instead.

Not So Different
2WWBB
Enchantment
4 Life:  Destroy two target creatures an opponent controls.  Only your opponents may play this ability.
Sacrifice two creatures:  Gain 4 life

Professor Nemuro
?  (Should be 2UU, minimum)
Legendary Creature - Human Professor
T:  Target opponent draws one card, then discards one card.
1, T:  Put a 1/1 Cat creature token into play under your control
BB, Sacrifice ~this~ plus two other creatures:  Search your deck for a card named "Mikage Souji", put it directly into play, then shuffle your library.
1/2

And, because I wanna play too, although I don't have a good pic on hand....

Duel of Revolution
WWUUBBRRGG
Sorcery
Select one creature under the control of each player, and one other creature.  Destroy all other creatures.  All creatures gain trample for this turn.
Epic (For the rest of the game, you can't play spells.  At the beginning of each of your upkeeps, copy this spell except for the Epic ability.  You may choose new targets for the copies.)

Last edited by CMK (11-30-2006 05:19:49 PM)

#9 | Back to Top11-30-2006 05:39:28 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Haha! Well done! I knew I forgot something... Thanks, yeah Nemuro was supposed to be that high cost you mentioned and the cost for Self confession was supposed to be as well, I'll try to find some good pics for the Duel of Revolution, Hoepfully I'll find something suitable.

#10 | Back to Top11-30-2006 06:18:00 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

CMK wrote:

...okay, perhaps this is uselessly pedantic, but here's my own attempt to actually make these fit the 8th edition rules (I'm not sure about 9th edition)

It's only gone to 9th edition? I stopped playing when 5th was new and that was years ago. I assumed they'd be in the teens by now.

Touga via the website:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/magic_touga.jpg

Saionji and Anthy via Dante's program which Sey beat me to linking:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/Saionji.jpg

I like Gio's better but I still wanted to share. (It's also interesting I took part of the same quote used by the card posted by Frosty.)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/HimemiyaAnthy.jpg

This was just me messing around with gold cards. I'll do a better one later.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#11 | Back to Top11-30-2006 06:18:03 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

And a small mess of equipment and related cards.

Himemiya Anthy
2BUU
Legendary Creature - Human Witch
UU, T: Search your deck for target equipment card and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
~This~ cannot be equipped.
I think she needs one more ability, but I don't know what it should be.
1/4

Sword of Dios
Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Equip 4
Equipped white creature gains "T: Destroy target blocking or blocked creature."
4, Remove a card named Himemiya Anthy from play:  Equipped creature gains +5/+5 till end of turn.  At end of turn, return the removed card to play.  Play this ability only during combat.

Soul-Sword
Artifact - Equipment
Equip 4
Equipped creature gains +X/+Y, where X is the imprinted creature's power and Y is the imprinted creature's toughness.

Black Rose Signet
Artifact - Equipment
Equip 3
Equipped creature gains +2/+0 and "6, T:  Destroy target creature.  Target creature is imprinted on target artifact."

Draw Soul Sword
3(W/R)(W/R)
Sorcery
Search your deck for a copy of one target creature in play and a card named Soul Sword.  Sacrifice target creature, then put the copy of the targeted creature into play, then put Soul Sword into play equipping target creature.  Shuffle your library afterwards.

#12 | Back to Top11-30-2006 06:26:28 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Excelllent card decisions, I'll put them on cards, as well as I can, (now I need to find a pic of a soul sword.. hmm)

#13 | Back to Top11-30-2006 06:28:33 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

Xu Yuan wrote:

Excelllent card decisions, I'll put them on cards, as well as I can, (now I need to find a pic of a soul sword.. hmm)

For this one I was thinking of a picture of Touga's second sword, the one drawn from him during his third duel.  It's the only one that's identifiably a /soul sword/ without also being a special card that's worthy of its' own equipment.

Also, don't worry /too/ much about keeping up with me...I'm on a design roll here.

#14 | Back to Top11-30-2006 06:34:23 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

Rose Signet
Artifact - Equipment
Equip 2
Equipped creature gains "T, deal damage to target creature equal to equipped creature's power and tap it.  Equipped creature takes damage equal to targeted creature's power.  Play this ability only during combat before attackers are declared."

Sword of the Dark Prince
Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Equip 8
Equipped creature gains "If this creature is blocked, you may destroy all non-white blockers at end of combat.  If you do, remove Sword of the Dark Prince from the game."

Dueling Arena
Legendary Land
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
WR: Two target creatures deal damage to each other equal to their power.

Akio's Observatory
Legendary Land
T:  Add U or B to your mana pool.
UB, T:  Remove target attacking creature from combat.  Play this ability only before blockers have been declared.

Edit:  Made Sword of the Dark Prince significantly less nuts by including sacrifice.

Last edited by CMK (11-30-2006 06:52:07 PM)

#15 | Back to Top11-30-2006 06:38:36 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Sey wrote:

...Is the link supposed to go to a 19 KB file that is a .php, but not an Acrobat file?  emot-frown

CMK wrote:

Very nice reworkings!  emot-smile  Sweet Seduction should sacrifice itself when it's empty.  Saionji's "remove this from play" should read "discard this" or "remove this from the game," depending on which is meant.  On Not So Different, "your opponents" should read "any opponent."  But these are incredibly minor nits.

CMK wrote:

Anthy's ability cracks me up, and so does the fact that your note on her looks like flavor text emot-biggrin  The effect is a good fit for the color, though I'm not sure Anthy is.

Sword of Dios is a f***ing powerful card even without the second ability.  I can kill one creature every turn starting about turn 8 (earlier if I'm playing green or red), and all I have to do is play white?

I don't understand what Soul-Sword does without knowing Black Rose Signet exists.  Should read "If a creature is imprinted on Soul-Sword, ..."  The combo is a very cool idea.

Re "Draw Soul Sword:" Why not just "search your library for a card named Soul-Sword and put it into play equipping target creature?"  I'm not sure there's a purpose to forcing you to play multiples.  You can't even use it to get rid of an opponent's creature, because you can't sacrifice other players' creatures.

Very interesting!  emot-biggrin

#16 | Back to Top11-30-2006 06:48:34 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

satyreyes wrote:

Sey wrote:

...Is the link supposed to go to a 19 KB file that is a .php, but not an Acrobat file?  emot-frown

CMK wrote:

Very nice reworkings!  emot-smile  Sweet Seduction should sacrifice itself when it's empty.  Saionji's "remove this from play" should read "discard this" or "remove this from the game," depending on which is meant.  On Not So Different, "your opponents" should read "any opponent."  But these are incredibly minor nits.

CMK wrote:

Anthy's ability cracks me up, and so does the fact that your note on her looks like flavor text emot-biggrin  The effect is a good fit for the color, though I'm not sure Anthy is.

Ability is supposed to represent her ability to call up pretty much all the various bits of magical gear in the show.  I'm looking for something a little less flavorful for the second, though.

Sword of Dios is a f***ing powerful card even without the second ability.  I can kill one creature every turn starting about turn 8 (earlier if I'm playing green or red), and all I have to do is play white?

Good point.  Should definitely be more expensive....either require an untap cost, or perhaps reshuffle Sword of Dios back into the deck.

I don't understand what Soul-Sword does without knowing Black Rose Signet exists.  Should read "If a creature is imprinted on Soul-Sword, ..."  The combo is a very cool idea.

Re "Draw Soul Sword:" Why not just "search your library for a card named Soul-Sword and put it into play equipping target creature?"  I'm not sure there's a purpose to forcing you to play multiples.  You can't even use it to get rid of an opponent's creature, because you can't sacrifice other players' creatures.

Note that Soul-Sword HAS no imprint method on its' own, making it largely useless except with a few creatures from other sets that get a benefit for being equipped on their own.  "Draw Soul Sword" represents the Akio arc duels.  Imprint requres the imprinted card be removed from the game.  In effect, by playing this you end up with a critter that's twice as strong, and you can keep half that strength and put it on something else if you lose the critter.  Granted, if the sword gets destroyed you have sacked something for no gain, but that's the risk you run.

Also, the cost is Hybrid mana (Ravnica block)  Either White or Red can be used to pay for it.

Very interesting!  emot-biggrin

Thank you.

Last edited by CMK (11-30-2006 06:49:41 PM)

#17 | Back to Top11-30-2006 08:26:09 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I am in love with this thread and will be posting cards as soon as I can get some good geeky ideas flowing.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#18 | Back to Top11-30-2006 08:28:45 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I'm having a bit more trouble then I thought finding straight pictures of the Sword of Dios or Akio's Sword... if only I knew how to save (or even take!) images from DVD's... oh well... anyway, here are the few I've made on CMK's as well as one of my own.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/4687/drawsoulswordxa4.jpg

Sorry in the card creator I use there isn't any double color like things.
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8598/thelocketus4.jpg

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3846/himemiyaanthytl3.jpg

Sorry about the last picture it's a bit grainy.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2639/duelingarenasd2.jpg

#19 | Back to Top11-30-2006 08:36:39 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

And some instants, just because I realized these were kind of in short supply.  Also, Slap is meant as a common, Duel Song is uncommon.  Most of the ones so far have been intended as rares.

Slap!
Picture is Saionji slapping Anthy, naturally.
RG
Instant
Deal 2 damage to target creature and tap that creature

Duel Song
Bells for the image?
2G
Instant
Target creature's becomes a Duelist and gains +2/+2.

Power of Dios
WWWU
Instant
Play the ability of any artifact card in play without paying any costs.  (You still choose targets for any ability)

Last edited by CMK (11-30-2006 08:36:57 PM)

#20 | Back to Top11-30-2006 08:52:01 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

And some common critters.  I couldn't figure out a name for the green one but...introducing the Boys of the Black Rose!

Hopeful Duelist
1WW
Creature - Human Duelist
First Strike
2/1

Raging Duelist
1R
Creature - Human Duelist
Haste
2/2

Calculating Duelist
1U
Creature - Human Duelist
1/2

Vengeful Duelist
BB
Creature - Human Duelist
B: ~This~ gets +1/-1 till end of turn.
2/2

???? Duelist
2G
Creature - Human Duelist
1G:  ~This~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1

#21 | Back to Top11-30-2006 09:09:53 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

First, a small problem is that "The Locket" doesn't work.  If an imprinted card somehow leaves the "Removed from game" zone, the imprint is lost.  If the ability is changed to "Target Creature cannot block for two turns" that would be all right, although the ability would be either white or blue...probably white even though that's less common, since it's Juri. 

I'm really trying to leave major characters out of this, since I know what happens when my design instincts are tickled like this and I want to save something that I know everybody's gonna have a lot of fun with to someone else.  That said...some more random cards for your consideration?

Nemuro Memorial Hall
Legendary Land
T:  Add 1 to your mana pool
T:  Target creature's type becomes Black Rose Duelist until end of turn
T:  Tap target Duelist

Ohtori Gate
4RWG
Enchantment
Every time a Duelist is sent to any graveyard, put a Duel counter on ~this~.
Sacrifice two creatures:  If ~this~ has more than ten Duel Counters, and the sacrificed creatures are a Witch and a Prince, you win the game.

I think I'm done for the night....I think.school-devil

#22 | Back to Top11-30-2006 09:14:16 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

CMK: I like the Black Rose duelists!  Calculating Duelist needs a hook, though; as it is he's inferior to Grizzly Bears, which are themselves increasingly inferior to modern 1G 2/2s.  (In Time Spiral alone, see Ashcoat Bear and Spinneret Sliver.)  Granted, he's blue, but still.  Green: "Instinctive Duelist?"

Anyway, my contribution:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/satyreyes/ElevatorCycle-1.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/satyreyes/ElevatorCycle-2.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/satyreyes/ArenaElevator.jpg

Mostly uncommon.  The fit of effect to color is a little strained in a couple, but I'm happy with the flavor of the results.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-30-2006 09:22:49 PM)

#23 | Back to Top11-30-2006 09:18:14 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'll come up with an Akio at some point if nobody else comes up with a better one, but this just had to be done.

The Akio Car
Legendary Artifact
2, (tap): Play this ability only if you control a creature named Ohtori Akio. Remove Ohtori Akio and target creature from the game. At the end of the turn, return both creatures to play under your control. All creatures you gain control of in this manner are returned to their owners' control if either The Akio Car leaves play.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#24 | Back to Top11-30-2006 09:26:22 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

satyreyes wrote:

CMK: I like the Black Rose duelists!  Calculating Duelist needs a hook, though; as it is he's inferior to Grizzly Bears, which are themselves increasingly inferior to modern 1G 2/2s.  (In Time Spiral alone, see Ashcoat Bear and Spinneret Sliver.)  Granted, he's blue, but still.  Green: "Instinctual Duelist?"

I was strongly considering making him either Flying or Shadow (and in the latter case, upping the cost).  Or possibly allowing him to gain one or the other as an activated ability? 

Also, I like "Instinctive Duelist" a bit better, but thanks, I needed the root word.

...okay, last two for tonight, I promise

Sacrifice of 100 Duelists (Uncommon)
2RB
Sorcery
Deal three damage to all creatures, then place a Black Rose counter on all creatures in play.  Their creature type changes to Black Rose Duelist.

The Black Rose Blooms (Uncommon)
RBBU
Enchantment
All Black Rose Duelists gain +0/+2

#25 | Back to Top11-30-2006 09:30:53 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Alright! I got a little more creative, while looking for a picture of Saionji slapping Anthy (Which doesn't exist!) I brought up a few new ones.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9789/bonvoyagenanamikm7.jpg

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8183/chivalryvx0.jpg
Ahem... tokens should read counters...

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2364/deludeddeductionsul0.jpg

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6023/duelsongrt3.jpg

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/2259/handgrabvw0.jpg

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6289/powerofdiostu5.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6625/slapcv5.jpg

Ahem... sorry about Slap! As I said there wan't one Saionji slapping Anthy picture in what I found. Besides, Juri's looks even more fierce then his.

Ahem... I screwed up on The Locket in the first place, since the effect is supposed to make the imprinted card inactive, not the imprint... I hope that makes sense, though if that too is against the rules your suggestion works fine. Expect the next bunch in... uh.. ccouple of hours?

Last edited by Xu Yuan (11-30-2006 09:42:04 PM)

Board footer